Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It's unfortunate that one person making something up can frame someones reference for an entire company.

If the OP is right, and the rep did say that he could pay when he could, then the rep needs to be fired, or at least put on bathroom cleaning duty for a month.

However, the OP would be well advised to remember the "Too Good to be True" rule. Going into debt to buy a phone is silly. Save up, and buy the Pre when you can afford it. You will be happier in the long run.
    My thoughts exactly.
    One life-lessson I've learned is: "Trust, but also verify"...I think this would apply here too...
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    This is why I always get anything that seems "too goo to be true" in writing so that way you have proof if what they told you was a load of B.S. That's also why I prefer the chat online features a lot of companies have for their CS departments so that way you have everything that was said documented and in writing.

Honestly I have mixed feelings on this. I feel bad you got lied to, but then again if you cannot afford something then you should have never bought it in the first place. Luxuries should never come before necessities. You didn't NEED a Pre, you wanted one. You should know this especially since you are a parent and have to put others needs before your own first, but apparently you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    If the OP is right, and the rep did say that he could pay when he could, then the rep needs to be fired, or at least put on bathroom cleaning duty for a month.
    the rep probably assumed that "when he could" meant "next paycheck" or something, and not "its been two months and I still have no intention of paying anytime soon". I can't really blame him for that.

If I was going to be paying a bill late, called the company and told them my situation, and they said, "ok, no problem if its a little late", I certainly wouldn't go accusing them of lying to me if they shut me off 2 months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhkirkando View Post
    the rep probably assumed that "when he could" meant "next paycheck" or something, and not "its been two months and I still have no intention of paying anytime soon". I can't really blame him for that.

If I was going to be paying a bill late, called the company and told them my situation, and they said, "ok, no problem if its a little late", I certainly wouldn't go accusing them of lying to me if they shut me off 2 months later.
    This is probably what happened. The rep was thinking next paycheck, or possibly two, not months down the line. If you are able to bill to your account in the first place you have decent enough credit that they are willing to be more lenient with payments. Same goes if you have had on-time payments for a while.

However, over a month past two, going on two now without contacting the billing department is negligence on the OP's part IMO. Store reps know how lenient the billing department can be, and make recommendations, but if the rep's and customer's definitions of time are diffferent it can cause issues like this.

My recommendation is call Care, you will probably automatically be transferred to Finance, they are the ones you need to talk to to get it figured out. Payment Arrangements can be made for just about any situation, as long as you follow those arrangements, you should be just fine and your phone won't be turned off.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    First and foremost, I'm sorry about what happened. It sounds like that guy made your life more difficult.

Secondly, you really need to learn some life lessons quickly if you are having a kid. Did you really think Sprint would let you do that?

Third, was it even a Sprint store or a 3rd party reseller that uses Sprint's name. I'm guessing the latter.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa334 View Post
    To quote The Duke--"Life is hard, it's even harder when your stupid."
    I've gotta say, when you're gonna call someone else stupid, make sure you spell it correctly. It's you're, not your... Your is possessive, you're is a contraction meaning you are.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Wow-lol. Dude if someone says 'pay it when you can', you gotta clarify. And not just clarify verbally, clarify in a written contract. I think its less the sprint guy wasn't being honest with you as it was you didn't look into it enough. It's like when a furniture dealer says 'no interest'- its not interest for X months- you will have a tough time in life if you don't check the details. Don't blame sprint, blame yourself and learn.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spherzah View Post
    I've gotta say, when you're gonna call someone else stupid, make sure you spell it correctly. It's you're, not your... Your is possessive, you're is a contraction meaning you are.
    thanks grammar police- who cares- its the f-ing internet on a phone forum- hes quoting the duke anywayw
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    My sprint contract started with a 755 years ago. I did a quick deposit with the rest to be put on my bill - the next morning I was turned off for non-payment. I had a 150 spending limit at the time & the remaining balance flipped me over it. As we were leaving the store my sweetheart asked how the bill me thing was supposed to work - and I told her it wouldn't.

Difference being, I was fully aware that I would be shut down - even though the cs said everything would be fine. Never believe the people when you can read the paper - the paper knows all, and will be the document that meets you in court.

I was prepared for the turn-off so there was no damage done - but I knew it was coming. The only reason I walked out of the store without paying was to see if the cs's silly plot would work. I did enjoy beating up the sprint rep on the other side of the phone - I have to admit...
    Last edited by tarhead; 07/25/2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I'm old and forgetful
    OP ur an *****
    could maybe have a spending limit on your account?

also sprint generally allows you to go a long time without payment before they completely shut you off. i've seen people over 90 days without payment and their account is in delinquent standing, no changes can be made to the account, but the phones still work.
    Last edited by evilsandwich; 07/25/2009 at 05:03 PM.
    If you can back up your story, then the posters telling you to call Customer Care are exactly right. Lay out your story clearly, calmly, but firmly. Tell them you want your line to stay active, and you want time to pay the phone, which was what the sales guy promised. Offer to make a reasonable monthly payment toward the phone. Odds are they will work something out with you. You have the phone and they don't want to lose it, nor do they want to lose you as a customer.

I had a similar situation in which a telesales rep made up a crazy story to get me to buy a phone. I was in a better position than you because that call was recorded and I could prove my story. I got a really good result. If you are calm, polite and convincing, you also can get a good result.
    The rep is wrong and a ******. The OP needs to learn better spending habits and should have known better.
    This is a complaint about the fact that purchasing a phone costs moeny. It is not about the Pre. Thread moved.

- Craig
    Id like to point out that the OP hasnt replied at all. I call troll.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    This is a complaint about the fact that purchasing a phone costs moeny. It is not about the Pre. Thread moved.

- Craig
    lol
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    .....Third, was it even a Sprint store or a 3rd party reseller that uses Sprint's name. I'm guessing the latter.
    3rd party stores cannot bill to account when the unit is purchased from store stock.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    3rd party stores cannot bill to account when the unit is purchased from store stock.
    He's right. I work for a third party store.
  20. SAO
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jburnshire View Post
    I pay my monthly bill each month. I walk into a sprint store on pre launch day, and couldn't buy a pre that day. The Rep tells me my account is in great standing, and that I can oost it to my account. I said I wouldn't be able to pay my monthly bill, and pay for the pre for a few months. He said since my account is in great standing, I can just pay the phone portion of the bill, and pay for the pre when I can. I said are you positive? My girlfriend and I use r phones for work, and in case of a emergency comes up with our 22 mo. Old son. He said my account would be fine, and our service would not be affected as long as I paid at least the monthly bill. She is finishing school, and we won't be able to pay the pre off til she gets her better paying job. So my service is now going to be turned off as of sunday, and there's nothing that can be done. I was lied to so the guy at the store could make a sale, and my girlfriend and I will be without a phone, which'll great when it comes to emergencies and when some1wants to get a hold of my girlfriend for a interview!!!

Bro, I think you were highly irresponsible to go after a 400 dollar phone you couldn't afford when you could seriously use that money to try and keep your family afloat. You say that your girlfriend is in school and not working a great paying job, so that probably means that you are the bread winner in the house, surely you could use some of that hard earned money for a few things besides a new phone that you WANT. I am sorry to hear that the rep lied to you, but honestly if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I hope you have learned a lesson from this, next time get it in writing. And please, don't blame Sprint for this error in judgment and a lying retail rep.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12