Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think your meteoric rise to "viral" fame as a spokesperson for the prprpr&#$275$; $amongst$ $the$ $off$-$grid$/$agrarian$ $community$ $has$ $a$ $lot$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $the$ $perception$ $of$ $you$ $as$ $an$ &$quot$;$ordinary$ $guy$&$quot$;. $You$ $are$ $espousing$ $the$ $use$ $of$ $equipment$ $that$ $you$ $paid$ $for$ $out$ $of$ $pocket$, $in$ $a$ $lifestyle$ $that$ $you$ $actually$ $live$ - $not$ $just$ $write$ $about$.

If you were to start getting compensation - i.e. subsidized hardware, etc. - it might be quite detrimental to your credibility amongst your core audience.

Were it me, I would have asked politely - as you did - then obtained out of contract equipment from Ebay or one of the many refurb vendors. In fact, I have done in order to ride out a contract on a competing carrier so as to port over to Sprint and get my own prprpr&#$275$;. $I$ $didn$'$t$ $do$ $it$ $so$ $much$ $to$ $avoid$ $the$ $ETF$ $as$ $to$ $honor$ $a$ $contract$ $with$ $a$ $carrier$ $who$ $had$ $given$ $me$ $good$ $service$ $for$ $many$ $years$ $but$, $completely$ $within$ $their$ $rights$, $refused$ $to$ $give$ $me$ $subsidized$ $equipment$ $without$ $a$ $contract$ $extension$.

Think how those of use who have paid insurance premiums for year upon year without a claim would feel if we found out all it takes to get a free pass is to be tweeted saying something complimentary.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Wow, Salty. Just wow.

You should seriously consider running for Congress, dude. You're a tool.

It's one thing to appreciate the break you're given, it's another thing entirely to demand it in the first place.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Fixed
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    How to conclude this guy is a tool and perhaps a whiny *****

1) Read first post
    2) Case closed

It blows my mind that you're wife is at fault and you go around pissed off because you didnt get special treatment at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Off-Grid View Post
    ... ***This just in as I type this... Palm has offered to give my wife her choice between a Treo Pro or a Palm Centro. Any advice? ...
    Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    My advice: Find a carrier you like first and choose the phone second. This whole thread makes me think you must have finally bought a tractor - and a manure spreader. It seems to be working very well these days.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Glad to see you're being taken care of. The important thing here is that you didn't get upset and become mean to any of the customer service representatives. That happens all the time and their is not excuse for being mean or rude.

People he may have felt entitled inside, but he didn't allow it to affect his discourse. He was willing to get Sprints cheapest handset. I fail to believe that Sprint had no refurbished phones, floor models, or anyway to bring down his cost.

I don't think Sprint was wrong, but they make money from people using the phones, not from the up-front cost of the phone. It's sorta like the designers who let celebrities wear their outfits for free. The exposure makes them money.

I don't think either party was wrong here, but only having pet answers for everyone, instead of treating them as individuals is what creates Customer Service failures. Maybe Sprint could have offered a special code for the Sprint Referral plan. "Our lowest phone is $150, but here's what we can do. Mention our referral program on your website and have new customers enter 'Salty...' when asked for a referral #. We'll give you credit for the 1st 12 respondents. That'll get you up-to a $300 gift card which would go a long way toward defraying the cost of a new handset."

Anything to make the customer feel that you've listed to them and found a solution to fit their situation. This is of-course if the pet answers do not make the customer happy or meet the customers needs.

Advice: As far as the phones, I've always been Palm OS. I'd go with the Centro. My daughter has a Centro and loves it. Of course she's seen my Pre and wants a Pre now, but that's another story.
    It's very easy to feel like your entitled to something more than the next guy. Some of us in these forums have been helping out other palm users for years and vice versa. Surely that's worth something to Palm or Sprint?

Nope..

Your post about off the grid was a nice read and a great endorsement but its no more or less than many have done in these forums.

If i call Sprint, i can't exactly say "but but..i've been advocating sprint for years at Treocentral and now Precentral..surely i deserve...something?" Nope.. Now if you've been with Sprint for years, you might deserve something.. But being a fan gets you nothing. We post on here because its a great hobby and hopefully enjoyable..but not to score points with Palm or Sprint.
    BRB throwing laptop out a window and expecting a new one or else i write a bad review.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Wow. I've never seen the community is so filled with rage and righteousness. There's been some pretty savage tarring and feathering of iPhone fanboys as well as Pre-returners and naysayers, but never against one of our own. Shame.

Even more embarrassing for you all is that most of the criticism is based on self-centered comparisons. "Why should you get a free phone, and not meeee. And BTW, you're whiny and self-righteous." Wha...?

Salty, don't take it back: Palm utilized you, your excellent writing skills and the hard work you've put into your site as an asset (in the early post-release phase even) and you gave them the opportunity to not only recompense you, but to let them garner some added free publicity in the future. (Ok, mostly free, now.) And you did that without misrepresenting the situation. Well done. You've been around the boards enough to know that part of Palm/Sprint's meager marketing budget was destined for exactly the type of viral/grassroots push that you so kindly provided. (And yes, I did read, with much amusement, posts regarding how you don't actually exist.) The rest of you real whiners should attempt a similar feat before posting such crap; please let me know what kind of welcome and response you get from Sprint and/or Palm, if you get one at all. Half of you can't even write English correctly; after 5,000 posts please don't be surprised if Palm still doesn't know who the hell you are.

Do something constructive: you knee-jerk critics should go and research how much it costs to set up a decent web-site or buy a few minutes on network TV. Then go and get that report on how much the components of the Pre actually cost Palm and compare the two figures. Do you think Apple gave Stephen Colbert a free iPhone just because they liked his haircut? Admittedly, Salty Off-Grid is no famous comedian and has a tad more hair (especially now), but he's made a limited media presence and has successfully leveraged this. Bravo.

As my rant is now finished, let me just say it's strange that Palm didn't offer your wife a Pre. A Pro? This is a completely chauvanistic remark, but when a lady asks about a smartphone, I usually never suggest WinMo right off the bat. Push for a Pre; Synergy is so much more fun when two people in the same family are using it. (shared calendars, etc.)
    Last edited by Goyena; 07/08/2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    It might be cheaper to just buy a used phone online. I don't know what your termination fee would be ($150 or 300) but it would still be cheaper buying a used phone online. I understand the situation that you are in, but I don't think that At&t would treat you any better. I would go to ebates.com because there is a list of websites you can purchase cell phones with a little discount.
  11.    #51  
    To finish the side story, Palm stepped in and fixed my problem, for which I am very, very grateful. Palm is a great company, and I appreciate their attention. After I finished talking to Palm, Sprint called me and offered me a replacement phone for the $50 I originally indicated I would like to pay. Though Palm had already stepped in, I thanked Sprint profusely for their help and told them I appreciate their work on my behalf. Everyone was happy.

The question was never whether Sprint had done something "wrong" (as in morally wrong) because obviously they did not, nor did I ever imply they did. I believe that they were making a bad business decision that could not have helped them. I believe that a sober look at things and a cooler head prevailed and they stepped up and made a great gesture which was much appreciated. It gets down to whether or not Sprint has a long history of driving off customers in order to make a very paltry dime, when they could have kept customers long term in order by bending just a tad up front. Clearly, Sprint never did anything "wrong" in this case - they just originally made a bad customer relations decision which they later rectified. Now, there are threads on here of dozens of people threatening to leave Sprint and receiving hundreds of dollars in gifts and enticements (Airraves, etc.), and I understand that.

Once again, I told Sprint that I was very happy with the eventual solution that they offered which was what I said I wanted in the first place, which in the short run would have cost them about $30 to make. A good investment in my book. On the other hand Palm, saw a great way to spend a pittance on public relations and secure a customer and advocate for a good long time and they stepped up and did it. I am happy with both Palm and Sprint right now.

I know that piling on is common on these forums. Heck, I was called about every name in the book after my original review. I expect it. I learned a lot about two big companies today, and that to me was a good thing.

So, that's the end of that for me.

Sincerely,

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    I've had to replace a phone with Sprint before that was uninsured, and it cost me something like $50. It was the cheapest phone Sprint had, and they were decent about it. I don't understand why they couldn't do something like that for Salty (regardless of who he is/what he's done, etc). ...
    Plain and simple. Sprint no longer sells any cheap phones. Several years ago my wife was able to buy a Kyocera basic phone for $10 when her phone failed without insurance. The next time her phone developed problems (due to moisture/humidity, she took the phone camping , it did not get wet), we paid the insurance deductable to get her a replacement. People need to be aware that the phone offered by carriers (or at least Sprint) are not really cheap, and (at least it looks to me like) the days of cheap phones are over.
  13.    #53  
    Goyena,

Finally! A voice of reason. I really was a bit shocked that Sprint was really going to blow off a customer (any customer really) for the difference of about $30 in what I originally suggested. Like you said, this whole roll-out has been about viral marketing, and I just saw it as a really bad business decision, even though I never whined or complained about their right to make a mistake.

Anyway, in the end, I think everyone did the right thing, except for a few (probably good) folks on this site who seem to be the kind that wait for someone to throw the first rock and then they just flail away.

The only negative for me is that I was able to say I wasn't a paid-off flunky for some California corporation, and now I can't. But the Treo Pro is on the way.

Good Job Palm.

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Look, i really couldnt care much less who you are. you could have done live coverage of MJ funeral or write 3000 reviews, etc etc etc. but you arent special. i really disagree with Palm by "Fixing" your problem. i really hate when companies treat people indifferently.
  15.    #55  
    BDHU 2001,

I really don't blame some of these folks. They read the original post on this thread and obviously it was a horrendously failed attempt to make light of the situation. You are correct. I never was rude to Sprint, never threatened them, and never asked for anything but a reasonably priced (cheap) handset, even if it was a refurb. Basically I just wanted an acknowledgment that losing a customer over a few bucks on a handset is just bad business. I admitted that the whole thing was my fault, yet I also believed that Sprint could hit a home run and win a long-term customer by just being able to think outside the box (a term the Sprint manager who finally did hit the home run used). In hard terms, spending an extra $30 or $100 one time to keep any customer who is paying $140 a month is a good idea, and I had tried to buy the insurance after about 35 days with the phone, but the arbitrary cut off date had passed and I was unable to do so.

All of my conversations with Sprint were friendly and nice. I just disagreed with a business decision that they were totally free to make, and as a conscientious customer when THEY asked ME if I was happy with it, I told them no. I was happy they asked, but I didn't feel obliged to lie and tell them I was happy with it when I wasn't.

Again, a lot of the misunderstanding came from my bad attempt at humor on this thread that was obviously a failure. I did try to explain it all again without the sarcasm and failed humor, but there was blood in the water and a bunch of folks piled on.

Alright.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments and I appreciate them.

Michael (Salty Off-Grid_
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Off-Grid View Post
    I believe that they were making a bad business decision that could not have helped them.
    Actually, they were originally making a *good* business decision not to throw money to every customer who damages a phone without insurance. If Sprint caved in to every customer, there would be no Sprint to sing praises about. Sprint was kind to offer you a rebate and that showed good faith on their part to help you out. I believe Sprint actually made a bad business decision to cave in more and finally offer you a $50 phone. Think of the pressure the customer service reps will now get, and the countless hours of back and forth between paid Sprint employees and "dissatisfied" customers that will occur. It's nice for your sake that the finally made you a better offer, but I think you had an itchy trigger finger here on bad-mouthing Sprint for something that was entirely the fault of you and your wife. I'm sorry to come across sounding like a hard-a$$ here. You seem like a good guy, but this story has just cast you in a bad light.

EDIT: One last thing: When writing the above, I realized you had tried to buy the insurance after the 30 days. I think this is why they offered you the rebate deal.

-- Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 07/08/2009 at 06:51 PM.
  17.    #57  
    "i really hate when companies treat people indifferently"

Me either too not

Michael (Salty Off-Grid
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Actually, they were originally making a *good* business decision not to throw money to every customer who damages a phone without insurance. If Sprint caved in to every customer, there would be no Sprint to sing praises about. Sprint was kind to offer you a rebate and that showed good faith on their part to help you out. I believe Sprint actually made a bad business decision to cave in more and finally offer you a $50 phone. Think of the pressure the customer service reps will now get, and the countless hours of back and forth between paid Sprint employees and "dissatisfied" customers that will occur. It's nice for your sake that the finally made you a better offer, but I think you had an itchy trigger finger here on bad-mouthing Sprint for something that was entirely the fault of you and your wife. I'm sorry to come across sounding like a hard-a$$ here. You seem like a good guy, but this story has just cast you in a bad light.

-- Bob
    This.

I mean not even a rebate was good enough for the world famous, prime time tv Salty. That just doesn't look good man.
    Just another example that if you negotiate hard you get results..not all the time, but often. I think he did fine. I only posted that he shouldn't expect preferential treatment because he's THAT guy. But he went to war for a bit and got results.

For example, if you go to a Best Buy for a tv, surely you don't pay their asking price? Or what a car lot asks for a car? Or if your a business, you don't sign a lease without going back and forth. Many on here have called Sprint getting all kinds of perks.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post

-- Bob
    Bob, thanks for the comments. I disagree, and respectfully I think it is ideas like yours that has cost Sprint hundreds of thousands of customers over the last few years, and put them near onto bankruptcy. The ability to take in all the information, and to consider the ramifications of decisions, and to put hard and fast rules under a microscope and to be flexible when the company can benefit in the long run is what will save the company (along with a lot of help from Palm).

Their final decision was the right one, cost them very little, and doesn't affect anyone else. If in fact someone else (anyone) drops their phone in a blender, owns up to the stupidity, and asks Sprint for help, and Sprint can keep a $140 or more a month customer by being flexible, I think they will win in the long run. It may also be a good business decision for them to keep some dixie cups and string for people like me who just want a handset (any handset) to be happy. Sprint eventually did the right thing, and I know not everyone believes that way. Business models have differed over these things for a whole lot of years, but my experience has shown me that when a company shows a little compassion and buys goodwill and cheap advertising by playing smart, they usually end up doing pretty well.

As an aside, here is a story that happened on my way back home on Tuesday.

We stopped in Abilene, Texas at THE COTTON PATCH restaurant for dinner (lunch to you yankees). I eat there quite often and it is always very, very good. Well, a man near me ordered a turkey sandwich and I heard him discussing it. He really, really didn't like the sandwich. They guy was in turmoil about whether he ought to say something, but he finally did. Well, the waitress came over (on her own volition), took away the sandwich and offered him anything on the menu to replace it. Made him happy. Well later, it turns out the waitress took off the sandwich off of his bill AND didn't charge him for the replacement salad he got! I don't know if the sandwich was good or bad. I just saw a guy get made into a long-term customer.

Now, you Bob, may say... Ok, now everyone who reads this is going to go into the Cotton Patch and demand a free meal, and maybe they will, though i doubt it. I think they just made a good decision.

I know, I know. The guy didn't slam the sandwich in the van door! But I don't know if there was anything wrong with the sandwich, and the waitress never even asked.

Well, I'm a permanent Cotton Patch customer.

I only tell you this to say you might want to think about another way of looking at it.

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast