Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't blame the OP for at least trying to ask Sprint if they could do anything (hey it's worth a shot), but I don't get why the OP is posting a thread complaining that Sprint said no. Sprint has no obligation to offer the OP anything since the phone had no insurance on it. It's a pretty clear policy so I don't get why the OP thinks that Sprint is "screwing themselves" by not "helping a fella out".
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I still don't get what you think Sprint did wrong in this situation.
    Sounds like Sprint WAS trying to help you out by offering the $90.

You admitted that the damage was completely on your end and they tried to offer you a deal, which you rejected.

I'm not seeing what your issue is with the customer service.
    They should give a phone for $50 because you wrote a good review of the Pre and your wife broke her phone?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just really having a hard time seeing how Sprint did anything wrong here.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Off-Grid View Post
    Ah, ok, in my post above I said this:

"So I said, "You know, no. I think I'll just go ahead and cancel. I'll write a new review entitled "Palm hits a home run but gets strangled and raped by Sprint rounding third"

Ok, I didn't close the quotes after "cancel" but closed it after my sarcastic response that I never said to Sprint. You can see it by the re-open quote before "Palm". That was in my head, kind of a humorous running dialog. So I can see that if I had said that a) it might have been funny, but b) it could be taken to be a bit extreme. I didn't say that to Juan Carlos at Sprint. I said it in my head. This post was written a bit sarcastically and out of an attempt at humor, not as a transcript of what I said with Sprint.

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    So, basically... well, no, LITERALLY you threatened to write a negative review about Sprint if you didn't get your own way? Lovely use of language by the way. I *wonder* how Palm would respond if they realized their fav "Off Grid" guy was just plain "Off."? I supposed if someone twittered your tryrade of an OP THAT could go viral too.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. I wouldn't call them "reviews" any more than anyone else on the various pre sites has written "reviews" but, whatever.

You originally came off as sounding like an independent spirit finding a way to live a self-sufficient 'off-grid' lifestyle. NOW, however, you sound whiny, demanding and arrogant enough to think the world (and Sprint and Palm) owe you something.

And now that you have posted this intense gripe about Sprint mere hours after you posted your self proclaimed "battery review" it seems to me that your intentions of posting the "battery review" were suspect. In fact, it seems as though you posted that "review" with the intention of then calling Sprint and using it as leverage to get what you wanted.

Pretty low Salty. Pretty low.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  5.    #25  
    Dan, thanks for your question. Hopefully you have read in the rest of the thread where I explained that a lot of that was an attempt at humor and not anything I ever said to Sprint. However, in answering your question (there is no way to answer it without 5 or 6 people think I am hyping myself up) I am a pretty well known spokesman for the Off-Grid and Agrarian movement, and I have very publicly advocated that Sprint and the Palm Pre were ideal solutions for people in our situation based on my experience.

Now, I do not believe for one second that there is nothing Sprint can do, or that the cheapest phone they have in the building is $150. I told them I would take a dixie cup and a string and pay $50, I just didn't want to pay $150 for a new phone that I don't need. I acknowledged repeatedly that I know the damage was our fault, and like you said, it doesn't hurt to ask. I asked, fairly. They rejected it, which is there right. Then, I chose to utilize my right to cancel service and remove my support for Sprint, even if I am still a big fan of the Pre. All I asked is for the service to be cancelled, for which I will pay a premium.

Now, I know that I am no one to the good folks here on PreCentral. I know that. I just tried to give some nice people an insight into a life that many, many people live (more and more each day), and while I do hold no sway here, many off-grid folks do listen to me - which is also their right. Since my saga with the Pre has been public, I chose to make a post here, hoping to make it light and funny, something I obviously failed at. Still, I think Sprint, if they do nothing, is making a mistake, but again that is just my opinion. I live off-grid. I'll get along just fine.

***This just in as I type this... Palm has offered to give my wife her choice between a Treo Pro or a Palm Centro. Any advice? Oh, and THANKS PALM for saving the day! You have made a happy customer and I will use my energy and whatever small audience I have to let people know how hard you worked for a little off-grid guy in the middle of nowhere!

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    I am a pretty well known spokesman for the Off-Grid and Agrarian movement, and I have very publicly advocated that Sprint and the Palm Pre were ideal solutions for people in our situation based on my experience.

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Right... And why would Sprint or Palm want to miss out on the lucrative off the grid segment of Americans.

Edit:
    Also this entier thread seems like the perfect transition from "palm fan" to "paid palm poster"...
    Last edited by Darnell3; 07/08/2009 at 05:12 PM.
    I say keep giving him shovels... see how quickly he can dig himself out of this hole.
    Also, if Sprint caved to every person who damaged their phone and didn't bother to pick up insurance, how do you think that would affect their bottom line?
    When you say off-grid, I am an electrician, and the only thing I can think of is an electrical grid. Is that what you mean? You run your house off a generator?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

***This just in as I type this... Palm has offered to give my wife her choice between a Treo Pro or a Palm Centro. Any advice? Oh, and THANKS PALM for saving the day! You have made a happy customer and I will use my energy and whatever small audience I have to let people know how hard you worked for a little off-grid guy in the middle of nowhere!

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Further evidence that threatening corporations is the way to go. Pathetic. Enjoy your free phone Salty. But use it knowing that the way you went about getting is dispicable.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I say keep giving him shovels... see how quickly he can dig himself out of this hole.
    I'm going to have to agree with this post. When I read the first two or three posts in this thread I thought to myself why doesn't the OP just delete this thread before he gets buried.
    Because THIS is what he posted in another earlier thread (the one in which he posted his "battery review":

Shockingly, I am online with Sprint considering canceling service altogether because Sprint is wanting to gig me for $150 for a replacement for my wife's smashed Samsung Highnote. Frankly, these people ought to be giving me another Pre, but apparently they don't see it that way. Stay tuned for updates.
    Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Sense of entitlement much?
    I'm very confused by this situation myself. It sounds like Sprint was ready to allow you to cancel your service and pay the early termination fee. Very straightforward. What's the question again?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    LoL

Funny thread. Like someone said earlier, buy a phone on Ebay!

PS: Palm rules!!
    *waits for bundle of phones*
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    "E-Fame" gone to your head just a bit?

Oh sprint, I wrote a positive review on the Pre, now give me 20 Pre's to give away or I will cancel, kkthx.
    Att would have offered you an exception upgrade...1 yr contract pricing and a $75 fee for the ability, much more than it would have cost you in this scenerio... It seems that you should have kept this to yourself as a normal person on sprint would not have been offered this from palm. Sprint did nothing wrong. Your wife did breaking the phone.... Now your "endorsement" of the pre has been bought and paid for, at least thats the feeling most are getting here...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    I've had to replace a phone with Sprint before that was uninsured, and it cost me something like $50. It was the cheapest phone Sprint had, and they were decent about it. I don't understand why they couldn't do something like that for Salty (regardless of who he is/what he's done, etc).

Regardless of what he's done to promote Sprint and Palm; companies are increasingly forgetting that us customers have choices and we also have ways to communicate our experiences with said companies in ways never before seen in history. Get screwed by a company? You can set up a website that potentially millions can/will see. Sadly, few people ever set up a website saying "SPRINT IS AWESOME; THEY DID ME RIGHT!" Such is human nature.

I once had a site called "EJ's Pilot Web Page Directory." It was quite popular back in the Pilot 1000/5000 days; so much so, that US Robotics sent me FIVE PILOTS in thanks for putting together a site that had links to every known Pilot resource available at the time. They even linked to my site from their site as "the source" for all sites Pilot-related. It's not unusual for companies to give a hand to those that help feed them. It's frankly unusual for a company to ignore or bite hands that help send money their way. If my company did business like that, we'd be out of business within a year (much of my business relies on word-of-mouth).

I don't think Salty was trying to get over on Sprint or Palm. I don't think he was trying to get anything "free;" I think he was just trying to get a break on an admittedly large replacement cost (and it's not unprecedented for Sprint to "hook people up" like this). When that didn't happen, he obviously felt like a jilted girlfriend left waiting for her date and the limo on prom night in her pink chiffon dress. Not that Salty was ever in that predicament in HS.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Salty,

I for one am glad Palm has taken care of you, though I have no advice on the phones. I am not sure the others have seen the article posted by precentral.net that linked to your overall review & use of the Palm. I, & I know others, have forwarded that story on & there is no telling how many Pres you have sold for Sprint. In fact, many of us thought you should be used in the Pre/Sprint commercials.

As others criticize, maybe they have read this & still want to be critical, but I don't see why taking care of someone who has (essentially) not only sold phones for them, but only wants to buy a cheap phone his wife will use is room for such criticism. AND there is simply no excuses for the Sprint Manager not getting back to the customer--you. Sprint please take care of the customer by being respectful, answering phone calls, & being both responsive & creative.

For those who have not read this, please take a look & remember it could be you on the wrong end of that Cust Service call next time:

http://www.precentral.net/living-grid-palm-pre

Cheers
    Wow, Salty. Just wow.

You should seriously consider running for Congress, dude. You've got the tools.

It's one thing to appreciate the break you're given, it's another thing entirely to demand it in the first place.
    Am I the only one concerned about the state of their country's agricultural system when this guy has so much time on his hands to a) Call/email/Twitt Palm and Sprint all the time and b) Create so many posts about it on PreCentral?

Dude, give it up and go grow me some potatoes.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast