Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So about two weeks ago I, like many other people here, called Sprint with signal issues and was given a "free" Airave box. I was promised the box for free along with the free service as well. I just got my first bill after having gotten this and my Pre and found that I was billed not once, but TWICE for the $4.99 charge that I was told I would not get.

I called back to the retentions department and told them that I was promised free service for the product and they said that it was not even possible. They told me that they won't and never could give the $4.99/mo service away for this product. They told me they would issue an RMA for the Airave and let me cancel my service for 2 lines if this was a problem. Eventually I spoke with their escalations department who credited my bill for a few months worth of the charge but I still wanted to put this here as a warning to everyone that was given an Airave from retentions. Even if you were given this before the policy changed, chances are, you're getting a bill for the service.

The most shocking part is that I've been with Sprint for almost a decade and they'd go so far as to let me cancel my service over that charge. The $4.99 isn't really a big deal for me at all but the fact that I was promised one thing and given another is a little concerning.

I hope this warning helps...
    Last edited by davemex; 07/08/2009 at 09:17 AM.
    Yea I've heard of people still being charged for the Airave's when they were told otherwise. Probably the #1 reason i'm hesitating to call and ask for one. Anyone else have similiar issues?
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    ?? The AirRave is not a "card," but rather a "box" that plugs into your homenetwork/router. Are you confusing it with a Wireless Card for a laptop?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    my airave was billed to my account but then credited back to me..
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    ?? The AirRave is not a "card," but rather a "box" that plugs into your homenetwork/router. Are you confusing it with a Wireless Card for a laptop?
    Yea, sorry it was early when I posted that. I changed the wording. You're right, its a box not a card.
    I have called and helped a few customers get airaves (including my self on a consumer account). They usually say they will get the free service too. All it usually takes is a quick call to retentions to say hey the 5 dollars should be waived and they oh ok i will put on a credit every month to take care of it. I have never had them not want to help after they gave the airave to you for free.
    Just called today to ask for airwave because of plagued signal problems at home.(Had to threaten to cancel...) They said they would credit me $100 and let met pick up the airwave from my local sprint store. I then asked about monthly fees and he said he will credit those each month. We'll see how it all pans out...
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    i noticed my bill showed 4.99 so i called customer service and they added the 4.99 monthly credit to my acct to cover the airave. she apologized for it showing up and said the person who set the acct up must of forgot the promo code. Actually my airave has been unplugged for two weeks now and have no issues with the pre getting calls. The first two weeks of having it i was getting dropped calls all the time. Guess Palm fixed some reception issues. Going to keep the airave for another month or so and if i have no problems i am returning it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    They told me they could credit me for the amount for the current month but that it would keep appearing. I even spoke with the retentions escalation department who said that it wasn't even a possibility.

I know I too was told that the $4.99 service fee would be credited back to me every month but it just didn't happen and now they are claiming that it is completely impossible. I wouldn't have believed that until the escalations line told me that as well. At least they credited my bill with a large enough sum to cover the charges for a while.
    I have two 4.99 charges for Airave service. Woo hoo. Must be a need for a second one in my huge house... or maybe my summer home in the mountains of West Virginia....
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Can you still use Rev. A and WiFi while on Air Rave????
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsblair17 View Post
    I have called and helped a few customers get airaves (including my self on a consumer account). They usually say they will get the free service too. All it usually takes is a quick call to retentions to say hey the 5 dollars should be waived and they oh ok i will put on a credit every month to take care of it. I have never had them not want to help after they gave the airave to you for free.
    To all:

Not surprising that Sprint would screw up here. All long time Sprint customers know the basic rules:
    • Always escalate to a "supervisor"
    • If your promised something, ask to have it noted on your account...and have them read it back to you.
    • Try over WebChat so that a transcript is sent to your email. You;ll need the Transcript ID# to refer back to if the promise/offer didn't get applied.
    • After a few days or a few weeks, call back to confirm that everything was applied or added correctly.

Remember guys, this isn't Verizon or T-Mobile....it's Sprint. Your consolation for have such a value plan is there's some homework/legwork of your own here to do....
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noblejohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Because it only supports 1XRTT for OTA data. Support for 1X EVDO Rev 0 or Rev A would be a more complex and costly implementation increasing the price of the device to Sprint and/or the customer.
    Found my answer
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noblejohn View Post
    As for Wifi, yes. I use the Airave for my standard phone signal and my house's wireless network for data. It's a really great combo.
    davemex, are you Mexican? If so, they (Sprint) are prolly just messing with you, try to talk to retentions dep. again, but now in Spanish, they'll get it done for you
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I have two 4.99 charges for Airave service. Woo hoo. Must be a need for a second one in my huge house... or maybe my summer home in the mountains of West Virginia....
    The first bill will be for for two $4.99 charges since they bill in advance, and you need to pay for the current month (they don't prorate the charges). Every bill after that should only have one $4.99 charge.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Wow! I just called for an Airrave box, figuring I'd do the experiment since Sprint signal is horrid here. First person: $99 + monthly. Supervisor: we're back-ordered on them. Is this because of all the new Pre users?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The first bill will be for for two $4.99 charges since they bill in advance, and you need to pay for the current month (they don't prorate the charges). Every bill after that should only have one $4.99 charge.

Hey I noticed you have a 3GS in your sig and was wondering if you have a Pre and a 3GS?
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    Wow! I just called for an Airrave box, figuring I'd do the experiment since Sprint signal is horrid here. First person: $99 + monthly. Supervisor: we're back-ordered on them. Is this because of all the new Pre users?
    The Airave is indeed backordered for up to 14 days currently. However, not ALL customers will be getting the Airave for free who call in claiming poor indoor coverage. I won't disclose as to who qualifies and who doesn't, however.

In terms of waiving the $4.99 Airave Monthly Recurring Charge, it is not for the life of your account, but only two years. There is a specific promotional code used to credit the Airave MRC.