1.    #1  
    For you longtime sprint users: is it possible to purchase TEP for a Palm Pre purchased from ebay?
    TEP has to be purchased through Sprint and Sprint only. It is added to your monthly bill for 7.00. I have had it since I opened my Sprint account 10years ago. Comes in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by prester View Post
    For you longtime sprint users: is it possible to purchase TEP for a Palm Pre purchased from ebay?
    No, you can't even get TEP on a phone you bought at sprint after the first 30 days. There are some third party insurance companies you can find that offer insurance on cell phones for around $10/month IIRC.
    I bought my HTC Touch off of Ebay and I have TEP on it.

The trick is it must have a clean ESN, never been used before. Or at least the first time it was activated was less than 30 days ago. What I'm trying to say is you can if its brand new and shrink wrapped. If its a used one (and over 30 days old) then you can't. (Although I'm not sure about that, it might not work if its used and under 30 days either because you are activating it under a different account.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    No, you can't even get TEP on a phone you bought at sprint after the first 30 days. There are some third party insurance companies you can find that offer insurance on cell phones for around $10/month IIRC.
    Att won't allow insurance after 30days, and then only on phones that we have sold. I mean what would stop someone from buy a broken phone on e-bay and they adding insurance to get a fuctional one? we dont really log IMEI's either...I know that from the amount of BF/GF's that break up and try to screw each other with their joint phone accounts....

my fav was day 7 of a new contract and the sister decided to take her phone and open up her own account...couldn't add insurance to that one because it was considered a used phone(7days used)...the sis either paid for the ETF and passed 30 days or cancelled within and paid for the retail cost of the phone cause the other one wouldn't give it back...we got her no contract cause she already had a phone
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    any line that previously had insurance will continue to have insurance regardless of where the phone was purchased. so yes it will.
    Your Favorite Pre totin Sprint Rep
    Yes, it is possible, I've done it. You just need to ask for it when you activate the phone, either online or in the store.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Store Reps & Account services are not allowed to add TEP to a line unless you purchase a new kit from sprint or retailer and only within 30 days of purchase.

However that being said there is no restriction to the service code and it CAN be added. You just have to get them to do it.

Also TEP transfers to the active phone on the account. So it you have TEP before it will apply when you swap ESNs
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    any line that previously had insurance will continue to have insurance regardless of where the phone was purchased. so yes it will.
    +1
    I activated TEP on an ebay phone, but I did it about 4 years ago. It's worked for me on that and every future phone I've needed replaced (4 total I believe), most of which were used phones purchased from ebay.
    I added TEP about a week after I activated my ebay purchased Pre.
    It's better (and cheaper) to get a Personal Articles Policy through an insurance company like State Farm. One member here has a policy that costs $40 a year with no deductible and it covers physical damage, water damage, loss and theft. When you file a claim, they cut you a check for the retail price of your phone and you're free to get a brand new replacement (I'm assuming you even have the choice of going with another phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    It's better (and cheaper) to get a Personal Articles Policy through an insurance company like State Farm. One member here has a policy that costs $40 a year with no deductible and it covers physical damage, water damage, loss and theft. When you file a claim, they cut you a check for the retail price of your phone and you're free to get a brand new replacement (I'm assuming you even have the choice of going with another phone).
    But what happens to your insurance if you damage/destroy/lose your phone a few times? I'm pretty rough with my phones and TEP is cool with me replacing it twice every 12 months, with no increased premiums. I like that I wont be dropped or have my rates raised (besides the annual jacking up of deductibles...).
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    But that does not cover things like Oreo effect or other defects in the phone. What would you recommend for that? The Palm 1 year limited warranty I guess?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

To be clear, here is the policy:
    As long as this is the first time the device has been activated on your account you can add TEP. You have 30 days from activation to add TEP. Used, New, E-bay...doesn't matter.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.