Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, it looks like AT&T is going to release a new navigation system software program. But guess what? It is an extra $9.99 a month.

Here is some info:
    Cruising with the AT&T Navigator

Sprint does not have to charge for this, it is included... +1 to for sprint!!!!
    What is sad, is AT&T's nav system is just a TelNav clone. We get it inculded and AT&T customers have to pay! NICE!!
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The one thing no one can argue about is Sprint's superior pricing plans. You have to pay at least $20 more on other carriers for the same features you get with Sprint's plans plus the fact that Sprint's night time calls begin at 7 instead of 9. AT&T is ridiculous with having to pay $20 for unlimited texting and now this.
    Last edited by Brewzer; 07/03/2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Is nav free for you guys? with the SEP the repo said yes but when I hit it it says to subscibe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    The one thing no one can argue about is Sprint's supoerior pricing plans. You have to pay at least $20 more on other carriers for the same features you get with Sprint's plans plus the fact that Sprint's night time calls begin at 7 instead of 9. AT&T is ridiculous with having to pay $20 for unlimited texting and now this.
    On top of that 30$ just for internet on some phone... call it tip off Sprint>ATT
    My family would pay upwards of $250/month for our current plan if we were on AT&T.

4 lines on Everything Data 1500 is $170/month. Two Instincts, a Rumor, and a Nextel i580.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyrevu View Post
    Is nav free for you guys? with the SEP the repo said yes but when I hit it it says to subscibe...
    It's free on the Everything plans
    I wonder what the new TomTom Navigation App will cost for the iPhone people? It's nice they are doing a car holster charger for it as well but will it be worth the additional costs on top of their current plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyrevu View Post
    If you have an "Everything Plan" then it's free. The "subscribe" notice is just boilerplate pop-up because those without a SEP plan have a pay-as-you-use option. Ignore the notice.
    I used the nav app on my pre for the first time yesterday and we'll use it on our vacation next week instead of the rental car option. This is a great feature that I can't ever imagine using enough to want to pay a separate monthly fee (my car has a built-in). I find Sprint service to be good and I can roam for free on Verizon. All for hugely less than ATT. Why do people complain about Sprint again?
    Simply everything=AMAZING!!!!
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Sprint Plans > All
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    So they need to update the chart and add $240 to the iPhone side.

http://i.techrepublic.com.com/galler...8-500-1170.png

I really feel you can't go wrong between the iPhone and Pre. But it always amazes me how people forget to factor in the differences between ATT and Sprint when it comes to price. (And it only gets better when you add other forgotten freebies like SprintTV and the upcoming Sprint NFL app).
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    My family would pay upwards of $250/month for our current plan if we were on AT&T.

4 lines on Everything Data 1500 is $170/month. Two Instincts, a Rumor, and a Nextel i580.
    I guess the questions is why no Pre(s)??
    First, I own a Pre. I'm (mostly) happy with it. But at the risk of incurring the wrath of our own Pre fanboy club, it is simply not true that Sprint is always cheaper than AT&T on their smartphone plans.

It's true if you compare plans feature for feature. But if there are features that you don't need or won't use on Sprint's plan, then it's quite easy to construct a plan on AT&T that's cheaper than the cheapest plan you could get on Sprint.

Here's an example, taking into account 2 year TCO, and for a 2 phone family (one of which is Pre or iPhone) that does not want or need: unlimited messaging, unlimited gps, and a large number of minutes. Case in point: my family. Wife uses 400 mins/mo. I use 40. She uses 0kb/mo, I use 2GB/mo. So I need data, she needs mins. We don't both need data & mins. And neither of us uses SMS, and we already have GPS in our car.
    Code:
    AT&T
    $  79.00 iPhone 3g (refurb)
    $  59.99 Family Share 550
    $  30.00 iPhone Data Plan
    $2238.26 2year TCO

Sprint (cheapest available shared plan for Pre)
    $ 199.00 Palm Pre
    $ 129.99 Everything Data Family 
    $3318.76 2 year TCO
    This is not what I did for my family. I put us both on non-shared plans in order to save some money. But it's still more expensive than AT&T.
    Code:
    Sprint (individual plans for 2 phones, 1 Pre)
    $ 199.00 Palm Pre
    $  69.99 Everything Data 450
    $  39.99 Talk 450
    $2838.52 2 year TCO
    So, yes, on an apples to apples comparison, Sprint is tough to beat. But if Sprint forces you to buy things you don't need, you can end up paying for a plan that is bigger than you need. And in that case, you might be better served by a cheaper plan from AT&T.

Of course, at the end of the day, you're stuck on AT&T's PoS network. Which is why I don't have an iPhone.
    While Sprint's prices are great, the "included" features aren't free - they're just covered under the overall price. If I'm not a big SMS user or I don't want/need a nav program, why should I have to contribute to their cost?
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    We ARE talking about the PRE right? isn't this an iphone v pre discussion essentiallly?

Thats why Sprint Everything Plan > Everything Else

The Pre is A Internet connected, sycing, messaging phone!!
    who isn't going to use data, sms, mms etc?

That argument makes no sense, and way to put a $79 refurb Apple Iphone in the comparo...that was real fair.
    Last edited by IMethos; 07/03/2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    The Pre is A Internet connected, sycing, messaging phone!!
    who isn't going to use data, sms, mms etc?
    Me. Data, I use all the time. But that's included in the AT&T plan. But sms/mms? I really never use it at all. I'm only searching for ways to use it now that I have it unlimited. So I've linked it up with facebook and twitter. But I really don't need it. In the last 2 years, I may have sent 20 sms messages total. I don't use the feature. And as far as GPS goes I already have a TomTom, which I can hear on the highway.
    That argument makes no sense, If you boughtand way to put a $79 refurb Apple Iphone in the comparo...that was real fair.
    Fine. Put the 32GB 3GS in there instead. The 2 year TCO for AT&T then becomes $2458.76. Still less than the best you could do on Sprint.

The point is this: *IF* you're going to use all of those features, then Sprint is a better deal. If you're not, then Sprint isn't. Just because you can't imagine living w/out certain features doesn't mean the same is true for everyone.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Me. Data, I use all the time. But that's included in the AT&T plan. But sms/mms? I really never use it at all. I'm only searching for ways to use it now that I have it unlimited. So I've linked it up with facebook and twitter. But I really don't need it. In the last 2 years, I may have sent 20 sms messages total. I don't use the feature. And as far as GPS goes I already have a TomTom, which I can hear on the highway.

Fine. Put the 32GB 3GS in there instead. The 2 year TCO for AT&T then becomes $2458.76. Still less than the best you could do on Sprint.

The point is this: *IF* you're going to use all of those features, then Sprint is a better deal. If you're not, then Sprint isn't. Just because you can't imagine living w/out certain features doesn't mean the same is true for everyone.

You are the minority. That is why the plan is the way it is. Most people sms more than voice because it's cheaper. If you don't use all the features then I'm sorry your paying for more than you need but the majority are more than happy with sprint's pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    You are the minority.
    I'm sure that's true. My point isn't about whether or not I'm in the majority. Someone else posted that shared plans are only 30% of the plans that the major carriers have. Still, if any major carrier lost 30% of their customers, that'd be a huge blow. So even in the minority, carriers can't simply ignore our needs.

For those of you getting a great deal, congratulations. I don't mean to spoil your happiness. I certainly agree that Sprint's plans mostly are cheaper than AT&T's. But they're not *always* cheaper. And that's my only point.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast