View Poll Results: How would you rate your Sprint Customer Service and when was it?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great.

79 60.31%
  • Good.

28 21.37%
  • Okay.

12 9.16%
  • Bad

7 5.34%
  • Horrible

7 5.34%
  • Less than 3 months

78 59.54%
  • Over 3 months less than 6

1 0.76%
  • Over 6 months Less than 1 year

1 0.76%
  • Over 1 year

2 1.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I'm new to Sprint. The only cell phone company I've been with, prior to the Pre, was Verizon and they had great customer service. Anyway, I've always heard such lousy stories about Sprint's customer service that I was concerned. But for the Pre, I came.

I don't know if the horror stories were about service from years gone by, but I've had nothing but great service from Sprint. I say great, because they give me service I'm not even asking for and they take care of my actual question or concern. I'm going to give two examples, but I have at least 6.

I went into a sprint store to buy a charger and a new case. When I got to the counter, they said "you're buying two accessories we'll give you a 20% discount." I replied, "no problem, that's what they said when I bought my phone, but when I checked my bill with my calculator, it didn't happen."

"We'll take care of that for you." I said, "Okay I'll bring back my receipt the next time I come in." They said, "if you bought it at a corporate store we can look it up."
    They looked up my bill, gave me a $30 credit and gave me the discount on my new purchase.

Recently, I picked up a Pre for my husband and added him to Sprint. Thanks to this forum, I had read about asking them to waive the activation charge. Unfortunately, I didn't remember until after they rang up everything. I asked and they explained that they couldn't in the store, but to call customer service. I had also heard about the "Any 3" from this site, but it turns out that Sprint doesn't offer anymore.

I got home and called customer service. I explained that I was slowly bringing over a family of four and that I wanted to have the activation charge waived on the additional line. They waived the charge. I stated that I knew they didn't have the "Any 3" plan anymore, but did they have something similar.

The representative stated that they had it, but that I'd have to speak to Account Service. He also said he would forward my call to them, but did I have any other questions for him. I mentioned that I could no longer use "Youmail" and explained how it was a free service that calls are forwarded to when I don't answer my phone, but with a .20 charge from Sprint, I couldn't use it anymore.

He asked wouldn't voice mail handle that. I explained that "Youmail" allows me to leave individual messages for different callers so that my brother knows that I left the key with a neighbor, my customer is told- by name- that he's important and I'll get right back to him, and everyone else is just told to leave a message. I also explained that "youmail" sends a text or e-mail advising me of whose call I missed and transcribing the call for me. He told me to e-mail customer service that if Sprint realized customers could use that service, it's something they'd want to make available.

After he transferred me, I was able to get "Any three." Which means I'm not paying to speak to my family while I'm waiting to slowly add them one per month.

Okay. Here's my question and the poll:

What was your most recent Sprint customer service like and how long ago was it?
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 07/01/2009 at 07:09 AM.
    I'm suprise to see so many people vote "Great". In 10+ years of service with Sprint I can count on one hand the number of times i had a good experience with thier customer service. They have screwed up EVERY new phone i have added to my account the last few year.This INCLUDES the Pre which i connected last weekend. W/o telling the long story - they flashed the wrong phone number onto my phone - it was 2+ hour fiasco.

The only reason i continue w/ them is for the Palm phones- however, this time around I paid full price for the Pre and did NOT re-up my contract. My fiance, who i ported over to sprint from verizon, was furious with thier customer serivce (We moved her line in Dec - it took 6 phone calls, over 2 months!). She wants to return to verizon as soon as her contract is up.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    ...I mentioned that I could no longer use "Youmail" and explained how it was a free service that calls are forwarded to when I don't answer my phone, but with a .20 charge from Sprint, I couldn't use it anymore.

He asked wouldn't voice mail handle that. I explained that "Youmail" allows me to leave individual messages for different callers so that my brother knows that I left the key with a neighbor, my customer is told- by name- that he's important and I'll get right back to him, and everyone else is just told to leave a message. I also explained that "youmail" sends a text or e-mail advising me of whose call I missed and transcribing the call for me. He told me to e-mail customer service that if Sprint realized customers could use that service, it's something they'd want to make available...

[/B]
    Please let me know what kind of response you get about Youmail. This is the one issue that prevents me from being a happy camper with Sprint.

Back on topic, I voted great. I was actually calling customer service to remove call forwarding to Youmail because the charges were adding up rapidly. My call got dropped 3 times because of a low signal issue in my home. After talking to 3 reps, the manager came on the call and agreed to send me free Airwave overnight. It came the next day and my problem is solved. It was clear to me that there was a culture of good customer service and I was impressed.

[...on the other hand, the corporate policy of charging for call forwarding is just pure greed ]
    FrankenPre2!!!
    With a company this large with a customer base this large you'll inevitably here horror stories all the time. Customer service is all about people and some people are incompetent or my just be jerks. Can't filter out them all.

But for every one of those, there are probably 10,000 people that had good experiences and forgot about it 5 seconds later. A company with mostly horrible customer service doesn't stick around long enough to make billions of dollars.

And let's not forget that in general when people feel they've been wronged (with anything), the re-telling of the experience includes a little revisionist history. Such as 2 or 3 phone calls turning into 10, a couple days turning into weeks, the cs rep being extremely rude when in reality the cs rep wouldn't tell the customer what he or she wanted to hear, etc.
    I've been Sprint customer for over 8 years now and have had nothing but great service. In my 8 years, I had 1 occassion where they messed up my billing. When I called CS, they fixed everything right away and gave me a 1 month bill credit. I didn't even ask for it. I had good luck by calling in and going to the store. Even recently, my pre was shutting down for no reason. I called the nearest Sprint store, told him I can't really duplicate what's going on and he told me to come in. When I did, He switched mine for brand new Pre, no questions asked.

I don't know maybe I'm lucky.
    Just like anything else, the pissed off are vocal and the happy are quiet. Not really suprising. I have been a customer for nearly two years and they have taken care of me.

From my experience, more than half of the people who complain about Sprint were asking for something rediculuous, and Sprint wouldn't play ball (I am talking to all you FREE AIRAVE wieners out there.)

Sprint takes care of you if you play nice and are generally not a "complainer". Kind of like your mom and dad when you were growing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    With a company this large with a customer base this large you'll inevitably here horror stories all the time. Customer service is all about people and some people are incompetent or my just be jerks. Can't filter out them all.

But for every one of those, there are probably 10,000 people that had good experiences and forgot about it 5 seconds later. A company with mostly horrible customer service doesn't stick around long enough to make billions of dollars.

And let's not forget that in general when people feel they've been wronged (with anything), the re-telling of the experience includes a little revisionist history. Such as 2 or 3 phone calls turning into 10, a couple days turning into weeks, the cs rep being extremely rude when in reality the cs rep wouldn't tell the customer what he or she wanted to hear, etc.
    Everything you wrote is very fair - especially revisionist history - i can't stress enough my repeated bad experiences w/ Customer service. I read some of the posts here about how other customer are given rebates and how smooth calls have gone, and Iím just amazed. while I have received rebates and credits in the past, it was only after customer rep had wasted so much of my time the credit is no longer of any value (example: 50 rebate i received last Dec after 3 hours on the phone, followed by another 50 credit after 2 more phone calls each of 1+ hours)

Apologizes if this sounds repetitive or self centered - i just want to present a fair view of Sprint, and my experiences are very different them many of the posts i am seeing.
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Everything you wrote is very fair - especially revisionist history - i can't stress enough my repeated bad experiences w/ Customer service.
    10 plus years of bad service and you stuck around for the phones.

Not defending your bad experiences but If you had bad CS for that long than part of the fault should be on you. You kept getting bad CS and you choose to stay with the company. Could have switched multiple times in ten years.

"Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I voted Great too but it's only more recently that they have been so good in my opinion. I've been with Sprint for 8 years and have had numerous issues with their service. Basically, every single time I've gotten a new phone or changed a plan, they have screwed up the bill in one way or another. Even recently when I bought my Pre, I was told I'd receive a discount for my work and it is not anywhere to be found on my account.

But, I can say that they are vastly improved in the service department. While I'm still waiting for them to fix my current billing issue, they have been amazingly courteous and helpful every time I have called. You can tell that they are trying to change the culture of service there and I am ecstatic about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    Even recently when I bought my Pre, I was told I'd receive a discount for my work and it is not anywhere to be found on my account.
    Ah, that's the magic statement there. You don't have a "regular" account. Those that were with Nextel before the merger might have the same problem too.

It isn't so much a customer service issue per se, but an issue with Sprint's system. However there customer databases are setup, regular individual accounts don't work the same way as "special" accounts (government, corporate, original Nextel customers, etc).

Not all reps can access certain parts of "special" accounts which leads to errors in processing (missed discounts, incorrect billing, inability to activate or activation issues). So when you call the general help number, there's a chance you'll get a rep that has limited account access. He or she most likely won't have authorization to help you but won't know it. So you'll get a runaround of being put on hold until eventually the person will give up.

Anyone having issues virtually every time he or she calls for support should try to get a manager or higher look to review the account status. I have an individual government account, and if I call regular customer service, 75% of the time that person won't be able to help me. I call government or corporate services and they are able to push through whatever I need without a problem.

I discovered what was happening when I tried to get a Razr2 activated in a third-party Sprint store. I gave up after two hours and called from home the next day, still couldn't get it activated. Went to a Sprint owned store, and they couldn't activated either. Finally, the cs rep there called in when I suggested that the type of account may be the issue. I was up and running after 5 minutes on the phone with the proper rep.

You can look at it as a customer service issue, but they really need to flag certain accounts that tell a basic rep, "Hey, you can't work this account. Point the customer here."

I wonder how many people this is affecting...
    i think the main thing with dealing with sprint cs is being knowledgeable yourself. I dont trust anyone else to do a job correctly for me even if I am no expert so I make sure the CS rep I am speaking to understands what I am saying and I ask for clarification and explanation on what they are doing every step of the way. I know some will argue that the point of good CS is them doing a great job without you walking them through it but... if Im coughing up over $1k a year in services I better know what I am buying and how their services work.
    I tried sprint during a 30 day window on a new phone, well over a year ago, I don't remember exactly, but they made me offers that never materialized. When I called, I just got the run around, then disconnected. (more than once).

A few months ago, my father had been experiencing a problem with them, being a disabled vet., where he's from he doesn't have to pay sales tax. He kept getting the run around for months until I ported him over to Verizon, who immediately started applying the credit.

In both instances, I didn't b!+ch or moan, I just took my business elsewhere.
    Iago

"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."

Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by jimhuff:
    Please let me know what kind of response you get about Youmail. This is the one issue that prevents me from being a happy camper with Sprint.
    I'll let you know as soon as I hear something, but I think all of us "Youmail" users or want-to-be-users, should do what the customer service representative recommended and let them know why we want the call forwarding and that "youmail" would give all their customers the "visual voice mail" that they're requesting.

It might even be a good idea for them to advise "Smart phone users," for "smart phones " that don't have the capability, of this service. After getting rid of the .20 cent charge, it would be a win-win for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    10 plus years of bad service and you stuck around for the phones.

Not defending your bad experiences but If you had bad CS for that long than part of the fault should be on you. You kept getting bad CS and you choose to stay with the company. Could have switched multiple times in ten years.

"Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
    You're on to something with this one. I'm going to start this out by saying, there is no excuse for some of the horror stories I've read about Sprint. However, I've never had those experiences.

But, back to your post. Reality is that a person that stays with a company with bad CS for 10 years is simple, they feel they are getting what they pay for. They may not want to admit it, and certainly they don't express it that way, but by their actions, they are saying "The company offers me enough in other price that I'm willing to put up with the problems".

We make that type of decision regularly. I do not walk in to McDonalds and look for the Matre D'. There's a reason...
    Thats whats up... Good job Sprint
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    ....Even recently when I bought my Pre, I was told I'd receive a discount for my work and it is not anywhere to be found on my account....
    It can sometimes take 2-3 billing cycles before the discounts show up. They are supposed to let you know this but sometimes they forget to mention it.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Great service. Called today on a data issue and it was promptly taken care of.
    Staying w sprint for 10 years doe s not validate their customer servcie. Over that 10 yr period I have loggeg many comoliants w/ the company concerning their service & support. There are other reasons outside ofCS service you stay w/ a company. For me: the desire to always have the newest palm OS phone was the biggest driver. Additioanly; a lrge discount I received through my company (i'l type this now so no one else will ' you get what you pay for'.) laslty; I have 5 phones on one plan. acanceling my plan would have cost me alot of money_ as each had their own contract end dates

The piint: I still feel strongl their customer serive is very poor. If the topic is 'shold you go w/ sprint as a carrier' then I would point out their price points & high speednewtworks as their streanghts

( PS this is my 1st post from my new pre !)
    da Gimp

19.    #19  
    Originally posted by jimhuff:
    I've heard back from Sprint and of course they've stated that free call forwarding is not available on their current plans. I wouldn't expect differently and didn't expect it to be, but I've followed their reps advice and let them know why there is an interest.

Have you also sent an e-mail request?

BTW, B-model. Love your post. I've always heard about Sprint's cheap prices and it never motivated me to come over from Verizon. But now that I'm here, it will be the primary reason I stay.

The fact that I've gotten great service is an added benefit, because I may stay with crappy service, but the rest of my family wouldn't. In fact, it was originally my intention to come for the Pre, wait for my contract to be up, and go back to Verizon. The combination of their price and service has changed my strategy.

I think Sprint geared up for all of us new comers. There are some holes, like so many different departments that everyone isn't aware of what's available, but I'm okay with that. I work for a government agency with 1700 local employees, I know every employee can't be aware of all the programs etc. I'm hoping that Sprint's customer service, like the Pre's updates and apps, will only get better or at least stay as good as it currently is.

I had a theory that if you had a recent encounter with Sprint, you were more likely to have received excellent customer service. According to this non-official poll, that's pretty accurate (so far). But the honest truth is that once we've adapted to our new phone and carrier, we won't call customer service that often. Thus, for most of us, it won't make a difference in two- three months.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I've heard back from Sprint and of course they've stated that free call forwarding is not available on their current plans. I wouldn't expect differently and didn't expect it to be, but I've followed their reps advice and let them know why there is an interest.

Have you also sent an e-mail request?

Oh yes...even before I purchased the Pre, I had several telephone and email conversations with different CSRs and managers. It's clearly a corporate policy, but through it all, I experienced nothing but sincere desires to provide good customer service.
    FrankenPre2!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast