Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tried searching but couldn't quite find my answer.

This is probably a silly question to established users but I just want to make sure before I get a surprise bill.

But how unlimited is Sprint Unlimited Data really is for the Pre/cellphones? Is there an unspoken soft cap. I know they limit the wireless broadband card plans to a soft cap of 5GB, and they explicitly say so on the fine print.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something because I tried reading the fine print but there are no explicit limits to the unlimited celphone data plans.
    It's in there Terms and Conditions. Unlimited Data is capped at 5GB/month in total.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

3.    #3  
    Care to link me to it? I found the T&C fineprints for the 5GB cap on the broadband card plans but nothing specifically on the celphone data plans.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    Care to link me to it? I found the T&C fineprints for the 5GB cap on the broadband card plans but nothing specifically on the celphone data plans.

Thanks!
    I may be looking in the same place you are. I could certainly be incorrect in my interpretation, but I am looking here:

Terms & Conditions

You could always call them.

5.    #5  
    Yeah, it says something about a 5GB cap on the following: Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem

It doesn't mention mobile phones, cellphones, smart phones or anything pertaining to phones other than Phone-As-Modem. Unless they consider all web-enabled phones as Phone-As-Modem?

I called them and they reassured me it is true unlimited but you know how low-level CSRs can be when it comes to these infos.
    It's kind of like unlimited roaming. They say it's unlimited, but the terms and conditions say if you roam over 50% of the time, they have the right to cancel your contract.

I don't understand how they can use the term unlimited.

Here's a good example: http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1995

7.    #7  
    Yup, it's why I posted this thread. There should be a law against this type of consumer bait-and-switch.
    Slightly off topic, but I recently read about a guy that had a 450 minute plan with Verizon, that included free nights and weekends. He said he used about 300 minutes per month, but his wife would call her mother and sisters on the weekends, using about 4 hours talk time on the weekend, so about 900 free weekend minutes a month. He was told he had to increase his plan, he didn't and they canceled him.

Ilve had unlimited data for over a year and never had any additional data charges even while roaming...stayed in continental us. I had Instinct before the Pre. Checked email, surfed web daily, watched video, used radio. Maybe Sprint just likes me but unless your watching a bears game on a cruise ship or downloading wall e in mexico (like to meet those geniuses) you shouldn't have problem.

Additionally that link about roaming is from 07. I think you'l be surprised at the change in customer service since then. When I got the instinct I called to get rebate form and was told I was beyond the 3@ day time frame and they would be giving me a $100 credit on my account (equal to rebate). I did not have to request this or complain...this was provided even though it was my own fault for not getting it in on time.

I know you can't make everyone happy...especially with unreasonable requests such as waiving early termination fees that the customer is contractually obligated to but they've turned around quite a bit since the dear john letter incidents.
    Last edited by Karl; 06/30/2009 at 11:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Well, to be honest I've gotten different answers from different departments. I'd go with the 5GB on network and 500MB while roaming, I'd guess anything over that could cause you to get per kilobyte data chages.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Have fun racking up 5GB of data usage without tethering. I don't think there is a set limit, but if you **** Sprint off they will try to cancel your contract. I've heard of people getting warnings and very rarely cut off (but only after months of 'abuse.')

Last month I used 250MB and I get 75+ emails per day and tons of web browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Well, to be honest I've gotten different answers from different departments. I'd go with the 5GB on network and 500MB while roaming, I'd guess anything over that could cause you to get per kilobyte data chages.
    They have no right to charge you more for data. They can only cancel you.
  13.    #13  
    Even if it's rare, how can they cancel your contract for it? I cannot find it anywhere in writing on Sprint's T&C(unless I'm missing something). I don't think that's even legal.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's in there Terms and Conditions. Unlimited Data is capped at 5GB/month in total.
    I love how "unlimited" is not an actual telecom word. I suppose that means I have an unlimited income that is capped at "$X/year".
    ranzchic it doesn't seem legal at all, but I've never bothered to read the T&Cs to see if there is an 'unreasonable use' clause or anything that can be interpreted by a lawyer (their lawyers) to cancel your contract. My understanding is that there is a cap on aircards at 5 or 30 GB (this is only hearsay, I cannot confirm) and the people who have been canceled or warned were tethering their devices. At the time I read about the cancelations, Sprint couldn't determine a tethered device from a non tethered device so they had to go by data usage patterns and assume something against the terms was going on.

I use my phones data connection as much as I can (in fact, the higher my data usage, the prouder I feel), and in the past I have tethered occasionally and havent had a single problem in 6 years.
    For your Pre, unlimited IS UNLIMITED! For the Data Card with it's own number Unlimited is Unlimited. I did shop around before I added this with Sprint and made sure because I use it for my Insurance Business and am on line a lot. With my Pre, I stream Pandora almost constantly (all night, and in my car)

For the portable Wi-Fi Box they do limit it to 5GB, but that is a lot. Not impossible to hit, but most won't. With my Pre for almost a month and my Data Card combined I hit around 6GB Total and I am a HEAVY user. I have streamed TV shows, and Pandora and am constantly on the internet.
    It should also be noted that with the good battery life we're seeing on the Pre with WiFi enabled, you will be using that for data if you're close to a hot spot, which should significantly reduce your data usage. I'm on WiFi all day at work (coming from WinMo I'm absolutely astonished my battery isnt dead in 20 minutes) and when I return home I use WiFi because I have a weak signal in my apartment.

Thanks for the info all, I was just searching for this information.

I've been streaming pandora a lot in the past 6 days since I got my pre, and apparently racked up a good 738mb of usage already. Seems pretty easy to rack up 5gb if you stream a lot. Oh well, guess I"ll go off of MP3's more so I don't incur Sprint's wrath
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    For your Pre, unlimited IS UNLIMITED! For the Data Card with it's own number Unlimited is Unlimited. I did shop around before I added this with Sprint and made sure because I use it for my Insurance Business and am on line a lot. With my Pre, I stream Pandora almost constantly (all night, and in my car)

For the portable Wi-Fi Box they do limit it to 5GB, but that is a lot. Not impossible to hit, but most won't. With my Pre for almost a month and my Data Card combined I hit around 6GB Total and I am a HEAVY user. I have streamed TV shows, and Pandora and am constantly on the internet.
    You're just wrong on both counts. When I say 5GB with per kilobyte charges for going over I'm not just pulling it out of thin air. If you have a aircard (not just the wifi aircard router or Mifi aircard/router) you are limited to 5GB per month with per kilobyte charges for overage.

The "unlimited" for phones is a bit less clear, since no-one in any department can give me a definative answer I'm going to say try to keep it under 5GB per month on your phone as well, but as was stated by another poster above, you would be hard pressed to hit 5GB without tethering.

If you have been told "unlimited means unlimited" you were lied to.

I've had customers come into my store with bill in hand a few weeks after getting a aircard with some lovely overage charges. Streaming your netflix will rack up the data in a hurry.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast