Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I want to be sure that Sprint's coverage will work for me at work, home and on the highway. Is it possible that I could wait until I was comfortable that Sprint will meet my needs to port over my Verizon number?
    Absolutely.

I picked up my PrPrPr&#$275$; $on$ $6$-$6$ $and$ $went$ $back$ $the$ $following$ $Thursday$, $6$-$11$, $to$ $have$ $them$ $do$ $the$ $porting$. $They$ $will$ $tell$ $you$ $to$ $keep$ $both$ $phones$ $handy$ $for$ ($at$ $most$) $24$ $hours$ $after$ $the$ $port$.

Take a copy of your Verizon bill when you port, that will make it easier.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks man, I just wanted to be sure about this!
    You can also port over the phone (if that is more convient for you). Just be prepared to be put on hold a lot while the Sprint rep talks to Verizon.

I can't remember exactly, but you need the name of the carrier, the account number, the phone number, and the account PIN.
    Yup, they told me I can wait.
    Does anyone know if there is any time limit on porting? The Sprint sales person told me it had to be done at the point of sale but now I know that is not the case. If I had the Pre for a couple of months while maintaining two accounts for that time period, could I port over months after the purchase?
    Quote Originally Posted by orange-man View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any time limit on porting? The Sprint sales person told me it had to be done at the point of sale but now I know that is not the case. If I had the Pre for a couple of months while maintaining two accounts for that time period, could I port over months after the purchase?
    You could. One of the downsides though is that the Pre is more directly tied with the phone number it seems than other handsets. What I have recommended is anyone not looking at doing a port at the time of activation expect to perform a total full erase on the device when they port their number over to ensure it is active and all of the information is correct for the new number.

There is not time limit for porting a number over, as long as it is still active at the old carrier when the port begins you are good to go. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to potentially 72 hours, but usually it is done within a few hours without issue. It all depends on how long it takes the other carrier to release the number.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Perfect answer Kevin, exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much!