Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Ok, so this is my first post, so please be gentle.

I am a 5 year + Alltel (satisfied) customer who becomes OFFICIALLY Verizon on 7/13/09. I have 3 phones and a wireless card. Until last week, i had been mostly happy with Alltel. However i have had with many questions looming about the merger/aquisition/whatever you call it. My roommate lost his job last week. We went into the alltel store locally to ask about possibly switching plans because he no longer has his work phone and we need more minutes while he looks for work. We were informed that we would have to extend our contract 2 years to change plans.

Well, I called BS!!! We left and started researching plans with others. I didn't think we could get sprint, even though i have been waiting paitiently for the pre. We went to Sprint, and they said we had good coverage in our area and talked to us about the plans. We will save money.... We switched.

However, here are my concerns. I am not famiar enough with Sprints practices/plans to know what my options are. I wanted the pre as it was the only phone that interested me. We HAD to sign everyone up (all 3 of my lines) for the everything data. It is cheaper, but my 14 year old doesn't need it and my roommate can't even turn on a computer or text on his phone... he DOESN'T need a data plan. Our plan has 1500 minutes to share. Everything else is free (pretty much)

Here's where it gets tricky. I thought 1500 minutes were enough. I have not had to look at my minutes in 5 years with alltel. With everyone where i live pretty much locked in with alltel plus the my circle 10 numbers (everyone i call's home numbers), i never used over 100 anytime minutes a month. I had a smart phone 500 minute plan with alltel. Primary line only had data plan, All lines included nights at 7, unlimited text, pix, flix messages. $109 primary line, $20 each additional. So $149 a month plus data card. Sprint's Plan is $129 First 2 lines, and $20 for the additional. So again 149 a month. With Alltel i could not get my employee discount on a smartphone plan so Sprint is 12% cheaper. With alltel, everyone doesn't get the data/nav/sprintv, etc for free. (But they don't need/use it).
    We are blowing thru minutes like crazy and i don't want to go over. I talked to sprint today to see if there were any kinds of add on's where you can add certain numbers for free calling, like almost everyone else has now (Friends/Family, MyFaves, etc.) But No go!!!

so i have a dilema...

Alltel said that i can come back with no penalty (won't have to pay ETF for broken contract on 2 lines)

I really like the Pre, and sprint service is equivalent to what i had before. Pre still has some signal issues, but im sure they will get better soon. Plus everyone else gets some extras. I don't know if it is worth the swich though ($400 term fees and possible overages if i stay because i know absolutely no one on Sprint).

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

TIA
    wow i agree w ya that its kind of a hard decision to make. if we bump your minutes up to 3000 that makes ur plan 190 then take 12% off making your plan 164. taxes makes it maybe max of 175....for three lines unlimited everything but minutes. so average cost per phone is 58 bucks for 1000 minutes average per line and unlimited everthing else. thats a pretty good deal for the coverage, data, nav, email, tv, radio....ya its a lil more money but in the end its worth it. not to mention nights and weekends at 7 instead of 9, long distance/roaming included, price plan guarantee (unlike altell you can change ur plan at anytime and not extend your contract)....

as for th solution...bump the minutes...worth it in the long run.
    Your Favorite Pre totin Sprint Rep
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I forgot to mention that with the Alltel Smart Choice plan, the nights also start at 7. As for all the unlimited stuff (nav/tv/etc), like i said we don't want it on any other lines. Also had the national plan which is no long distance etc. And when i called alltel earlier i was told that as long as i was still under Alltel contract (another 23 months on primary line) i could still make my anytime plan changes without extending the contract. That is not what i was told in the store, which is why i switched. I don't know if they were just telling me that to get me to switch back.

We are trying to get the cheapest plan we can use, so adding additional minutes to increase our plan is not what we would like to do.

If sprint would let us have the option to have the regular talk plan and only add the data to the one (pre) primary line, that would be great. Or if we could get an add on for a few more bucks for unlimited calling to, say, 5 numbers, i would stay for sure... But increasing our plan 40 bucks just to have enough minutes to talk on (when job searching, you don't need to be worried about how long you are on the phone) is kinda not worth it.

I just didn't know if sprint had other alternatives to make our plan cheaper (not more expensive) and still have enough minutes to talk every month. We don't need all the "bells and whistles". Just 3 lines of talk with one line having data.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Afraid not. Sprint doesn't have any add-ons for addition minutes or any kind of friend circle thing. It might be worthwhile to spend a few minutes on the phone with cancellations and see how bad they'd like to keep your business. It is possible they might give you some bonus minutes each month to keep you with Sprint, but it depends on who you talk to.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  5. TFT
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Afraid not. Sprint doesn't have any add-ons for addition minutes or any kind of friend circle thing. It might be worthwhile to spend a few minutes on the phone with cancellations and see how bad they'd like to keep your business. It is possible they might give you some bonus minutes each month to keep you with Sprint, but it depends on who you talk to.
    I got to pick 5 numbers to call unlimited for free just like my old Alltel MY Circle account. Also I was told that if approaching my minute limit that I could call customer service and buy additional minutes at $10 per 100. YMMV

I believe that Sprint is coming out with new palns similar to My Circle, Friends and Family, Favorite 5. I think its called 'Pick 5'.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I just spent the last hour on the phone with alltel. They are giving me additional minutes and throwing in a second smartphone. I guess being with them for +5 years with a $$$ family account actually stands for something with them. Unfortunately, no guarantee after Verizon takes over next month.
    I think i will go back to Alltel/Verizon for now. Since they have appologized profusely for the "misunderstanding" in store about having to extend my 3 contracts to increase my minutes, i guess i will give them another shot. After all, i know them, and they have always been quick to help. On the other hand, Sprint is an unknown to me. I also have no relationship (for lack of a better term) with them as a new customer. They owe me nothing.
    I really LOVE the Pre, but i cannot justify getting it at this time (although i really really really wanted it).
    Unlike many others here, i seem to have been one of the few who seemed to get a flawless phone. (Unfortunately, the two non pre's that were added were not so perfect and had to both be exchanged) The Pre will only improve over time, and i hope to be lucky enough to get one down the road.

I have also talked to sprint, and they have no alternative for me other than me going with the 300 minute everything data plan for 40 dollars a month more. Defeating the purpose of switching in the first place. Being a new customer, i completely understand them not offering any incentive to stay.

Thank you all for your advice. Hopefully sprint has someone watching these boards who can take the suggestions/needs of the posters here and implement some changes to keep customers. A few more plan options may help there. I think they are great (as evidinced by their employess being willing to chime in and help others on these boards) and do hope they are successful in the future.
    If you later decide to switch back to sprint. There is the option of putting the pre user on an individual plan and the other lines on a family plan. Everything data 450 ($69.99) for the pre and family talk 700 ($69.99) plus your discount would be even cheaper than all the lines on the family data 1500. However you have combined 450 minutes less.

But if you figure who uses the most minutes and when you can tweak the plans and get very close to the $149 price point. The non data plan could go to the family messaging 1500 ($99) and the pre on the everything data. ($69.99) with 12% discount and add the taxes it would be only a few dollars above $149.

Or if the pre user is using more minutes you could go family talk 700 ($69.99) and everything data 900 (89.99) for the pre. With discount and taxes it would be less than $149. But if all 3 line are using a lot of minutes I don't think you have any options but to spend more than $149. You may have some options with sprint if you let them know the deal you are getting with alltel they may be able to do something to get you as a customer. But then depending on how many minutes you are using then again they may not be willing to work it out.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Well, I finally did it. I took my Pre back yesterday. The rep had to pry it out of my hands after he finished the return on everything else. It was so hard to let it go.
    I charged my treo pro and had it ready when my numbers go ported back to Alltel. I couldn't get it to do anything. I kept trying to flick and pinch the screen.
    The manager at alltel/verizon kept trying to convince me to port early to verizon and get the storm. I had told him that i had been using the pre and he laughed at me. I told him i wouldn't take the storm if he gave it to me for free (which was actually what it would have been if i had decided to get it). I told him how lame the storm is compared to the pre and that i would wait till the pre was available on Verizon (or another webOS phone that was comparable).
    Thanks for all the advice. I will keep my alltel plan and my pro until i get something that can come close to what i have with the pre.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ter1990 View Post
    Well, I finally did it. I took my Pre back yesterday. The rep had to pry it out of my hands after he finished the return on everything else. It was so hard to let it go.
    I charged my treo pro and had it ready when my numbers go ported back to Alltel. I couldn't get it to do anything. I kept trying to flick and pinch the screen.
    The manager at alltel/verizon kept trying to convince me to port early to verizon and get the storm. I had told him that i had been using the pre and he laughed at me. I told him i wouldn't take the storm if he gave it to me for free (which was actually what it would have been if i had decided to get it). I told him how lame the storm is compared to the pre and that i would wait till the pre was available on Verizon (or another webOS phone that was comparable).
    Thanks for all the advice. I will keep my alltel plan and my pro until i get something that can come close to what i have with the pre.

hopefully for you come Jan 1 or so the Pre will be on verizon and you'll be verizon then. good luck