1.    #1  
    Hey everyone i've been checking out all of the new smartphones lately and have decided that the pre is my favorite out of all of them... The only problem is that i am with Verizon right now but my plan ends in September. I would switch but i've heard the rumor that Verizon will be getting the pre in January of next year, and i don't want to switch if i don't have to (i get a good deal on Verizon's network)...
    Would it be better to switch right now or should I wait it out and stay with Verizon until January (which is gonna be very hard if i do this because the pre looks AWESOME!)?

Any more news about the Verizon rumor would be appreciated.
    What would you do?

-Thanks
    I just came off a verizon contract with bberry 8830 to get the pre.. heres the deal; verizon has slightly better coverage than sprint, but u can roam on verizon so its not much of a 'con' to me.

sprint is cheaper, and has the pre in the form palm intended. after verizon gets hold of the pre, its likely to change for the worse. in the past, verizon limits ram, limits gps, puts VERIZON all over, adds ugly red interface to smartphones. my old 8830 is a great example, so are new HTCs. it's likely the verizon pre will be a much worse product imo.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah thats another thing i need to think about... are there any other examples of phones that were changed when they went to verizon?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
    I just came off a verizon contract with bberry 8830 to get the pre.. heres the deal; verizon has slightly better coverage than sprint, but u can roam on verizon so its not much of a 'con' to me.

sprint is cheaper, and has the pre in the form palm intended. after verizon gets hold of the pre, its likely to change for the worse. in the past, verizon limits ram, limits gps, puts VERIZON all over, adds ugly red interface to smartphones. my old 8830 is a great example, so are new HTCs. it's likely the verizon pre will be a much worse product imo.
    FYI- you can NOT just roam at will on verizon. That's what the PRL is about. It limits which verizon towers sprint phones are permitted to roam on. You can't just roam anyplace. I'm not sure if sprint limits the allowed towers to save money or if verizon wont let sprint on to keep a coverage edge.

In dead dead spots you will roam to verizon. In good coverage areas sprint is fine. The fringe areas is where you get hosed. I'd say in general I'd define sprints coverage in PA/NY/NJ to be "good enough" but verizon is clearly better in fringy areas like inside certain buildings and the middle of the boonies. (deep in the boonies you will roam on vz)

Will be interesting to see what verizon does or doesn't do on the pre. The fact that palm seems to have a precedent with sprint of pushing firmware updates at will might keep vz in check to a degree. Personally I think splapping their logo on the case doesn't really offend me since they kick in a couple hundred for the phone. Any REAL smartphone I've ever had you can change the themes so you just uncheck the vz red backgrounds and pick anbother or upload anything in the world. Looks like they are done locking down GPS- they've been enabling it on recent devices with firmware updates so they dont seem to hae a poilicy against that anymore. Wifi is fine. The scary thing though is will they downgrade any of the hardware. Will they fiddle with the camera or the memory to save 5 bucks a phone? I'd hope it's too much effort to do so but I dont have much confidence that would stop them since they have done it in the past.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMace23 View Post
    Yeah thats another thing i need to think about... are there any other examples of phones that were changed when they went to verizon?
    I think they have cheaped out on memory on a couple windows mobile phones.

I'm not certain of detailes but it's something in the ballpark that some htc phones got 192meg instead of 256 meg.

On the pre It would seem they could go 8gig (sprint pre) or 4 gig (rumored on the eos)- or maybe 6? Would it be worth enough savings to make such an overt change? Who knows.

I think they also have had slightly differnt cases and keyboards. I'd choc that up to differnt strokes for different folks.

And in one case I think I read the vz version did NOT have an accelorometer (sp?) that the sprint version had. Could be vz figured it was Winmo and no one would notice since the OS isnt that advanced. But again maybe just to save 5 bucks a phone.