Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Odds are they will give you a replacement so long as the damage is clearly the fault of the device. If there is a bullet hole in it, they won't replace it; but if the phone is just faulty, they should give you a replacement. (Not sure about brand new, but it will be fully functional.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    good if you explain your situation and dont get rude with them just tell them everything thats happened from the start nicely buy the time you get half way through the story they will probably give you another phone just to shut you up lol . maybe even ask for the manager if the employee doesnt help you out.
    yeah, im really not upset, just dont want to have to pay for faulty equipment..
    well where i live they dont do you wrong for the most part but i hear stories , not that they were all telling the truth but you know how that is.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    My concern stems from my last replacement experience. My experience went something like this:
    (1st pre)
    me: Hey, my speaker died.
    OK, yup, its dead, heres a NEW phone, have a nice day!
    -I barely had to even stand at the counter.

(2nd pre)
    me: Im having trouble with my phone, the earpeice is dead.
    Oh? Lemme see... yup, its dead. Some of these phones have had issues
    me: Yeah, my first one had the speaker on the back die
    Oh? You had it replaced already? I cant help you <silence>
    me: oooooooohkay, what do I do then? I have the insurance..
    You have to goto a repair facility <employee disappears>
    me: hey, mr. manager over there, do I really have to drive all the way across town to get this resolved?
    is that what she told you <implying employee>
    me: uh, yeah.
    Then yes.
    (I drive across town, 30 minutes away)
    me: Im having issues with my earpeice
    Well, you probably dropped it, but whatever, drop it off and come back in an hour, we'll either give you you phone back, or a new one.
    me: oooooohkay. <biting my tongue>
    (wait 50 minutes)
    me: I dropped off my phone about an hour ago
    we dont take drop-offs, you must be at the wrong store.
    me: no, I dropped it off with *that* guy, said it would take 45 mins to look
    (waits another 15 mins as the guy walks off)
    Okay, we have your phone, but we need 45 mins to assess its condition.
    me: You said that *checks watch* an hour and 30 mins ago..
    It will take 45 mins sir.
    (I come back 50 minutes later)
    me: I dropped my phone off before
    Yeah, youre early, but we setup a refurb since its possible you broke it, but we cant prove it.
    me: uh, thanks. Any chance you all swapped the pics and stuff from my phone to the new?
    Ugh... you didnt ask that before... come back in 30 mins.
    me: Okaay.
    (good thing there is an awesome cigar store next-door)
    me: Okay, its only been 20 mins, but I have to get back to the other side of the world sometime today.
    Here, we couldnt transfer everything, what you have is what you have.
    me: uh, thanks.
    *tries out the phone*
    me: hey, why is it being so picky about the launcher coming up?
    the screen takes a while to learn, after a couple resets, you should be fine
    me: Im not sure thats accurate..
    well, take it or leave it, we cant, wont give you a new phone.
    me: Ok.
    (2 days later)
    me: The screen is cracked
    where?
    me: cant see it, its under the gesture area.. and thats why the launcher doesnt work right
    I cant see anything
    *squeezes the screen slightly, in frustration, and watches the crack snap up the whole screen*
    well, you just broke it, now it will be $100
    me: it was broken to begin with, thats why it cracked more with only a little force
    ... you broke it, $100 please.

I paid, and got my current device.

This time, I plan to just walk in and say NOTHING other than "my speaker is broke" and see how it goes. I just dont want to have to drive all the way across town to find out I need to pay $120 again (in-store versus waiting for new phone to be shipped to me) and wait 4 hrs. The cross-town store sucks, its staffed by a bunch of ******y frat guys and trannies (seriously) that are more concerned with looking cool than doing their job.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    .....Considering that the speaker, volume, and cracks are all (IMO) lack of build quality, what is the chance I can get a replacement phone in-store without having to fork out $100+?
    It all depends on the severity of the screen cracking and also if the technician knows about the various issues the Pre has. Hopefully they will take care of you, but every repair center is different.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    ......This time, I plan to just walk in and say NOTHING other than "my speaker is broke" and see how it goes. I just dont want to have to drive all the way across town to find out I need to pay $120 again (in-store versus waiting for new phone to be shipped to me) and wait 4 hrs. The cross-town store sucks, its staffed by a bunch of ******y frat guys and trannies (seriously) that are more concerned with looking cool than doing their job.
    That repair center should be shut down. As a repair center manager, I'd begin firing people if any of my customers were treated this way.

The point is moot. The original store should have replaced the unit with ANOTHER new unit if it was defective. The "One Exchange" policy does not apply to defective units within the first 30 days.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    That repair center should be shut down. As a repair center manager, I'd begin firing people if any of my customers were treated this way.

The point is moot. The original store should have replaced the unit with ANOTHER new unit if it was defective. The "One Exchange" policy does not apply to defective units within the first 30 days.
    FWIW, the second replacement was at 34 days. The first was at 29 - the first phone was actually the best I had, but then the speaker just went south, became garbled and very low volume, 'blown'
    Well, they 'repaired' the speaker. By which I mean they put a new board in with a speaker, and then reassembled it incorrectly... argh.

Any chance I can call it in and get a replacement shipped to me without having to pay? I cant go lugging two kids around on the only 3 hours I have available during business hours just to get the service that should be provided. I hate these local repair centers..

they also apprently peeled off the heatsink cover under the back cover (that black sticker) but 'put it back', except that the edges are lifting... ugh. A phone that can be assembled by a chinese child is apparently too complex for an american teenager...
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    pretty much same story here.. I had my first phone which lasted 7 months, went in, and they took forever to get to me after waiting for an hour they gave me a crappy refurb that has a worse oreo effect than my first pre, a cracked screen (running down both sides of the screen) and the same power button issues the first one had on the day I took it in..
    this is why a few pages back I suggested just giving people NEW phones instead of crappy refurbs.. people would be much better off and have a much better experience. the repair centers ship the broken phones back to palm anyways so it doesn't cost them anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by link375 View Post
    pretty much same story here.. I had my first phone which lasted 7 months, went in, and they took forever to get to me after waiting for an hour they gave me a crappy refurb that has a worse oreo effect than my first pre, a cracked screen (running down both sides of the screen) and the same power button issues the first one had on the day I took it in..
    this is why a few pages back I suggested just giving people NEW phones instead of crappy refurbs.. people would be much better off and have a much better experience. the repair centers ship the broken phones back to palm anyways so it doesn't cost them anything.
    Im not sure about NEW, wouldnt be good business. But a factory refurb is likely FAR better than any store return/in-store refurb. Or at least specialized training for phone repair folks, but when it comes to a franchise (both repair centers here are non corporate) stores, they can hire whatever window-licking moron they can for $8/hr.

Anyone know the torx size on the phone? I may as well just take it apart and rebuild it myself, I can already see where they screwed up. The keyboard area isnt latched into the main body (rear body) correctly, its supposed to be tilted in, they just screwed it together, so there is some major leverage pushing the two halves of the phone apart.

I work in a machine shop, so worst comes to worst, Ill make me some delrin sliders and re-rivet them to the slider chassis, kill 3 birds at once
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    what qualifications would you need to work at one of these repair centers? I would like a job like this since I'm pretty good with electronics, soldering etc.
    I would say anyone willing to work for next to nothing, without vacation or benefits would qualify at a 3rd party store.

A corporate store would probably like any assembly and technical skills someone can bring, and still work for under $30k per year. Technical proficiency and the ability to quickly figure out mechanical assemblies would likely be a plus. It doesnt take much to understand tab A into slot B, but there are little tricks used (puzzle-piece assembly, snap fit versus slide, versus semi-puzzle) and being able to identify them and then service them can be at trick.

But I have no experience working with sprint, Im just the engineer at our manufacturing facility, but I can at least figure out that when two parts dont want to go together, you dont just screw them together and throw it back at the customer.
    So any input on the possibility of getting a phone from spring (refurb or not) without going to a repair center? Obviously the one I went to is inept, and the other wont replace it now that the speaker works again, or will refer me back to the store that did the 'damage'. I have no faith that the slider will work properly after I fix it, given the amount of preload its under now from being reassembled incorrectly.. Also, the cracks are all still present. Ugh.

update: was able to get the keyboard bezel out, and reinstalled properly, no torx needed, just some common sense. As I suspected, there is more play (in the closed position) now than before, and when they took the back cover off, apparently they just ripped it off, as it now creaks when I type, and it didnt do it this morning (I just got the TS back cover, and have been waiting to see if it developed the same creak as my old back cover). Im betting I will have little/no luck in getting it replaced with anything decent.. hopefully by June/july we see an updated Pre from sprint (ie: plus, or similar)
    Last edited by phreakish; 02/07/2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Again I'm going to state that the repair center you visited should be shut down. A incorrect repair is worse than no repair at all. It needs to be repaired properly or replaced. You need to contact Customer Care, CARE not customer service and complain about the service center, let them know you are unhappy with that store and that the repair/replacement they gave you have been crap and ask them to ship you a replacement. Care can do advance exchanges just like a repair center, but it's not a common practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Again I'm going to state that the repair center you visited should be shut down. A incorrect repair is worse than no repair at all. It needs to be repaired properly or replaced. You need to contact Customer Care, CARE not customer service and complain about the service center, let them know you are unhappy with that store and that the repair/replacement they gave you have been crap and ask them to ship you a replacement. Care can do advance exchanges just like a repair center, but it's not a common practice.
    I will do that, I'm tired of getting the shaft from these useless college-age kids. Thanks!
    now my current device has a crack from the USB onto the screen (doesnt affect function yet),
    Same issue here, crack starts at the USB port and onto the screen without effecting function.
    I don' t have insurance (wife canceled wrong phone) so anyone think they will replace it?

I called up to get yearly upgrade as a Sprint Premier customer and it turns out the wife's phone is the primary phone. They wouldn't let me change that because I had just upgraded my phone.

Anyone know when I can change my phone to the primary phone on the account?

Thanks
    Yoshk,
    are all free and clear 3000 plans employee plans? or did they convert some over to consumer? these are my specs on the plan i have. it should be an employee plan but i don't see the emp pk on there. i did have to upgrade to a new data pack because my last upgrade (Razor) wasn't compatible with the old data service. I'm looking to get a pre or instinct but keep getting told i'd have to upgrade to the everything plan, but have read that the free and clear 3000 works with these phones and don't have to change plans.
    Free & Clear 3000
    Long Distance Included
    Call Waiting, 3-way Calling
    Enhanced Sprint Voicemail
    Includes Unlimited Text Msgs
    Includes 3000 Minutes to Use Anytime
    Monthly charge for service plan $20.0
    Plan add-ons
    Cellular Call DetailIncluded
    Nights and weekends starting at 7pm
    IncludedEquip Service & Repair Program$4.00
    Long Distance Special RateIncluded
    Domestic Roaming OverageIncluded
    Call Forwarding DisabledIncluded
    PCS PICTURE MAILIncluded
    1000 Nights & Weekends-9pmIncluded
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeluis View Post
    Yoshk,
    are all free and clear 3000 plans employee plans? .....
    The F&C 3000 is a employee plan but I have heard of people who were not employees getting hooked up by friends who worked for Sprint. About once a year they try to weed out non-employees.

Anytime they see a non-employee account type with one of those plans they will require you to change it.
    I have a question for any of the reps: I had asked it before but it went unanswered.

I am planning on upgrading my Sprint phone to the Palm Pre - I have had this phone for 19 months, and qualify for the $150 or nationally advertised price discount. After pricing things out, I know for a fact that I can get my Pre from Sprint for $250 BEFORE the mail in rebate. HOWEVER, I would like to buy it at Best Buy, where I don't need to do the mail in rebate, and can walk away with the phone for $99.99 or $129.99. (Their pricing is different in the two locations I have looked...) My question is whether or not I will be able to do so, as their requirements state that I need to have been on the plan for 22 months.

I am also a secondary line to my father's account, which cannot be upgraded (He is a Premiere customer who upgraded in October)

Any insight on the matter?
    Assuming you are eligible for the upgrade, you should be able to get the upgrade price at Best Buy even without being on your plan for 22 months. That requirement is there from Sprint, with Premier if you can upgrade earlier Best Buy isn't going to say no, Sprint will still pay them if they give you the upgrade after only 12 months.

However, I have seen quite a bit where Best Buy has different new and upgrade prices. So I would recommend double checking what price you would pay when you decide to go ahead with upgrading.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)