Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    any time. figured i would be saving quite a few users a call to cs....nothing like wasting 20 minutes sitting on que waiting for a rep to answer a simple question like that one.
    Your Favorite Pre totin Sprint Rep
    I work for a Company that gets discounts from Verizon and AT&T but not sprint. (to my knowledge) Do I have to address this with my workplace or through Sprint.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I have the Everything Data 450 plan. I know it includes roaming but does it also include data roaming? I have looked on the Sprint web site in an effort to find the answer to this question, but I do not see anything specifically addressing this issue.

The reason for this question is that my Pre switches into ROAMING mode more often than not, even if I'm sitting still in my car, or in slow moving traffic. I did not experience this sort of signal weakness with my previous two phones (most recently a Touch and before that a Katana). I'm dropping calls right and left on the Pre due to the weak signal reception. I do not want to see large data charges on my next bill just because I was using internet access and getting my email while I was in ROAMING mode.

I have installed the new 1.0.3 update and the battery life seems to be better, but my weak signal issue has not yet improved. I've seen Airaves have been offered, but that will not address my issue which happens while i'm away from my home. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I work for a Company that gets discounts from Verizon and AT&T but not sprint. (to my knowledge) Do I have to address this with my workplace or through Sprint.
    where do you work? i can look into if you do or not. if not its something ur management/ company owners would have to address w corporate mucky mucks.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wgregory View Post
    I have the Everything Data 450 plan. I know it includes roaming but does it also include data roaming? I have looked on the Sprint web site in an effort to find the answer to this question, but I do not see anything specifically addressing this issue.

The reason for this question is that my Pre switches into ROAMING mode more often than not, even if I'm sitting still in my car, or in slow moving traffic. I did not experience this sort of signal weakness with my previous two phones (most recently a Touch and before that a Katana). I'm dropping calls right and left on the Pre due to the weak signal reception. I do not want to see large data charges on my next bill just because I was using internet access and getting my email while I was in ROAMING mode.

I have installed the new 1.0.3 update and the battery life seems to be better, but my weak signal issue has not yet improved. I've seen Airaves have been offered, but that will not address my issue which happens while i'm away from my home. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
    yes its included. as far as the signal prob, im glad u upgraded to help w the sparatic roaming and im hopin that pre will release another here soon to help w the signal quality. yes the airaves are offered but your right its only to help at home. basically we pre owners are stuck waiting to see if palm can address/fix this problem.
    I'm PM you as I do not wish everyone to know

Edit: Ok I guess i can't since i don't have enough Posts

2wire
  7.    #27  
    so you work for 2wire? i searched and found nothing under that name. basically for your company to qualify, sprint requires the company to have "X" ammount employees that are going to be signing up w them a year or holding contracts in order for them to offer a disc.

for example company "Y" has 30000 employees nation wide. sprint say ok if 10000 emplyees continue to hold a contract every year we will give u "X%" off a month. if the ammount of contracts drops below 10000 they loose their corp discount or they change from "X%" and go to a smaller discount.
    I see... Ok I think most our employees are on Verizon or AT&T
    Thanks Jake and Yosh for offering to answer questions in this forum.

Before my question, I have a comment/suggetion:
    I imagine this thread will get unwieldy over time, so I'd suggest you consolidate your answers into a FAQ, and perhaps have the mods periodically delete old questions/posts from the forum thread once they've been answered and distilled into the FAQ. Think about this and consider doing it if you think it will make your lives or the readers' lives easier.

Now my questions: My Pre has been pretty good, except for two things (edit: I have more questions, but let's just start with these two):

1) There is a bright, washed out area near the bottom right of the screen (about 1 line in height and about 6 or so characters wide). This was present since Day 1 and has not gone away. Text seems to be readable but the background color is washed out. Originally, I thought this might be caused by heat, but it seems to be there on certain screens (like PreCentral mobile forum) whether the device is hot or not. I'd really like to know what the cause of this is (and whether it will probably "stay the same" or "get worse").

2) As a stress test of the Pre, I streamed WBUR (Boston, MA) overnight while charging via the USB cable from a laptop. The stream continued all night long, but I think the CPU built up some heat over time. It didn't feel very hot, but the pre would not respond to card flicks - instead, they would just slowly travel halfway up the screen and stay there. This is on a stock Pre (never rooted). Am I right that this is due to the CPU not scaling down enough to reduce heat? Can you guys try and reproduce this? (You're welcome to PM me and ask more specific questions.) If this is outside of your league, can you connect me with someone at Sprint or Palm who would be interested in seeing/debugging this problem on a stock Pre?

thanks again,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Thanks Jake and Yosh for offering to answer questions in this forum.

Before my question, I have a comment/suggetion:
    I imagine this thread will get unwieldy over time, so I'd suggest you consolidate your answers into a FAQ, and perhaps have the mods periodically delete old questions/posts from the forum thread once they've been answered and distilled into the FAQ. Think about this and consider doing it if you think it will make your lives or the readers' lives easier.

Now my questions: My Pre has been pretty good, except for two things (edit: I have more questions, but let's just start with these two):

1) There is a bright, washed out area near the bottom right of the screen (about 1 line in height and about 6 or so characters wide). This was present since Day 1 and has not gone away. Text seems to be readable but the background color is washed out. Originally, I thought this might be caused by heat, but it seems to be there on certain screens (like PreCentral mobile forum) whether the device is hot or not. I'd really like to know what the cause of this is (and whether it will probably "stay the same" or "get worse").

2) As a stress test of the Pre, I streamed WBUR (Boston, MA) overnight while charging via the USB cable from a laptop. The stream continued all night long, but I think the CPU built up some heat over time. It didn't feel very hot, but the pre would not respond to card flicks - instead, they would just slowly travel halfway up the screen and stay there. This is on a stock Pre (never rooted). Am I right that this is due to the CPU not scaling down enough to reduce heat? Can you guys try and reproduce this? (You're welcome to PM me and ask more specific questions.) If this is outside of your league, can you connect me with someone at Sprint or Palm who would be interested in seeing/debugging this problem on a stock Pre?

thanks again,
    --
    Bob

BOB
    wow thats some seriously good questions....in fact im going to work backwards on this one

2) as far as cpu usage questions and the (to what i would call extended) technical side like that....i have NO IDEA..... i have no hook ups w n e one as of right now that may be able to answer this for you....however on wed i am goin to a trade show where i will be able to talk to a palm rep face to face and ask him some questions so i will print this one off and pass it along hoping for some answers.

1) sounds like the usuall bleeding of a screen...if i were you i would take the unit to the store you got it from and ask them to replace it befor your out of your 30 days. not like a service and repair center cant help you but its a lot easier to have the original store just swap you out.

as for the FAQ thread i think i will start workin on that one. as i come across stuff that seems to be asked a lot i will put together a list of q&a's. i appriciate the good advice and for now i know it seems like my answers were of no help but some time wednesday afternoon or thursday morning i should have some stuff for you.....keep the good questions rolling.
    I've seen Airaves have been offered, but that will not address my issue which happens while i'm away from my home. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
    You should also note that Airaves do not support EVDO so far as I have been told.
    H Jake,
    Sorry about the "challenging" question. I tend to be the type of person who tends to "push things to the edge" without even knowing it. In my software test profession, people say that "bugs just fall off my screen". Often, I find these sorts of problems through a combination of luck and dilligent, persistent observation. That was the case here. During the first few days the GUI became"slow" like this (and I wasn't able to dismiss cards similarly to what I described this morning), but I didn't have enough "observation time" to yet correlate this to a busy (possibly overheated) CPU. Last night, I pushed it pretty hard and was able to make the correlation. I really didn't expect an answer from you, but I was hoping to share what I found so far in case you were able to "chase this up the ladder". I'll share a trick that should be able to make it easier to reproduce: if you were to wrap the phone in an insulating material (such as a dish towel or a sweater), you could get the device to heat up a lot faster. Mind you, I don't want to do this to a Pre, but if you get some returns that are going back to Palm anyway, a little "cooking" in the name of science might be something you could get away with. (I learned this trick by accident on a Palm Treo 700p.) The 700p seems to have a thermal cutoff (or just device characteristics) in the screen that shuts off the backlight in an overheat situation.

I do believe in doing controlled stress tests just so I know what the boundaries of my phone are (so I can prevent accidentally crossing the boundaries). I think the Pre's overheat protection scenario is to scale down the speed of the CPU. (There is a discussion on this board you could read.) I really just wanted to point out to you and your peers in the trenches at Sprint, that when a customer complains about a slow GUI, it might be because they are taxing the device a bit too much. I think Palm separately accounted for some heat while charging the device, and some heat from "taxing" CPU operations (such as playing Pandora or an itunes stream), but they didn't design for the case of a user doing both at once for an extended period of time.

So once again, I hope these ideas can help you to figure out what the real tolerances are (across several devices that wind up on your repair table). If you can share any practical wisedom back our way, that would even be better!

Regarding the advice on the bleeding screen, thanks - I'll try and get to a store soon so I can hopefully get a good replacement before the 30 day period ends (as you say, to avoid the hassle).

thanks, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I had to do a hard reset tport my number over from another carrier. Now my ring tones and pictures are not showing on my phone. How do I get my ring tones and pics back? I backed up the phone just prior to the reset. Thanks
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    if i have a (small) crack on my pre, and i haven't done anything to damage it (i.e. dropping it), and "babied" it, but there is a still a crack. what would a sprint rep's stance on it? do they take the customer's word for it? and replace it free of charge? or do they have a hard stance to not replace anything showing physical damage?....
    As a service center you will get one of two reactions based entirely on how they feel that day:
    A: This is physical damage. Make your insurance claim.
    B: This is a defect, here's a free replacement.

There is simply no way to predict how they will respond unless Palm puts out a bulletin stating that this is a known issue.
    My own experience reading these boards has led me to believe there is a defect in some units in this first run batch with weak faces causing cracks to form even with very little pressure on the face. My store will be a bit more forgiving, but we'll also be on the lookout for abuse.

On another note, it appears the repair chain has caught up with the Pre. We ordered a replacement Pre for a customer the other day (dead pixel) and received a refurbished unit as a replacement. Needless to say, the customer was disappointed (he refused the unit and will do his 30 day exchange with Best Buy when they get more).
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    ...I'm trying to convince my mother-in-law to switch over to our family plan (EPRP) for a couple of reasons - one to help Sprint/Palm out (if she can get a Pre...
    DVDMON: Right now with supply of the Pre so short therre's pretty much no way to get a discount on the phones.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    2) As a stress test of the Pre, I streamed WBUR (Boston, MA) overnight while charging via the USB cable from a laptop. The stream continued all night long, but I think the CPU built up some heat over time. It didn't feel very hot, but the pre would not respond to card flicks
    Coming from a computer technician background, this actually sounds like a memory leak. Does a quick reset fix the issue?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have the Everything Data 450 plan. I know it includes roaming but does it also include data roaming? I have looked on the Sprint web site in an effort to find the answer to this question, but I do not see anything specifically addressing this issue...
    It should be noted that while your plan does include data roaming, it's one of those "touchy" subjects. If your data roaming usage becomes excessive, they can cancel your account.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thank you for answering these questions!

Could you tell me when Sprint plans to offer the Palm Pre on Sprint.com?

Thanks!
  19.    #39  
    its a complicated answer there...basically no i cant tell you a date. the prob is that the phone is in such high demand that they will have to wait till all the waiting lists have been satisfied till they can allow telesales and sprint.com to offer them.
    Stuntingace....Thank you for doing this thread! I don't have any pressing questions at this time....would like to know if sprint will have wm 6.5 or wm 7 for the treo pro....Its just great that you are willing to help s out here!!!
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast