Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I have read this thread with great interest. Thanks for your time in doing this. There is lots good info here. I have two questions?

1. One post mentioned a teacher discount. Is this available for any teacher?

2. I get almost no signal at my school--lots of calls breaking up and dropped calls. Also calls that come through on voice mail that never rang through to the phone. They checked the signal in the area of my school and say it is good but I get bad/spotty service in my building.

I called CS and was told that they have no record of dropped calls. Is this true? He offered me a credit for minutes. He said that any dropped called is recorded as a 1 minute call. I felt certain that when I called about dropped calls that they would be able to look at my history and see that there really is a problem and with dropped calls and that I have really bad service at my work. They have done a PRL update (twice) and sent me to a Sprint Repair center to have my phone checked. I think that they will replace my phone for free, but am not sure that I want to do that. (I do have the equipment protection plan.) Basically my phone is in good shape (I exchanged my first Pre during the 30 day trial for major yellow discoloration on the screen) and I'm afraid that a replacement will be a refurb or have problems that I am not experiencing now.

Do you think the Air Rave would be a workable solution? They asked if we had broadband service at my school and we do. I am not sure that I am willing to pay more per month as I am already paying for service which is not there. But I have have seen some posts about Sprint providing an Air Rave with no monthly cost.

There has also been some mention in the forum of forced Roaming but I do not see an option to do that on my Pre--only "Sprint" or "Automatic". (I get a strong Roaming signal) I'm guessing that forced roaming involves rooting the phone. I do not feel that I have the expertise to do that.

Is there a solution to my dilemma of poor-to-no service in my building? I really like my Pre and do not want to switch to another phone.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RHerrick View Post
    I have read this thread with great interest. Thanks for your time in doing this. There is lots good info here. I have two questions?

2. I get almost no signal at my school--lots of calls breaking up and dropped calls. Also calls that come through on voice mail that never rang through to the phone. They checked the signal in the area of my school and say it is good but I get bad/spotty service in my building.

I called CS and was told that they have no record of dropped calls. Is this true? He offered me a credit for minutes. He said that any dropped called is recorded as a 1 minute call. I felt certain that when I called about dropped calls that they would be able to look at my history and see that there really is a problem and with dropped calls and that I have really bad service at my work. They have done a PRL update (twice) and sent me to a Sprint Repair center to have my phone checked. I think that they will replace my phone for free, but am not sure that I want to do that. (I do have the equipment protection plan.) Basically my phone is in good shape (I exchanged my first Pre during the 30 day trial for major yellow discoloration on the screen) and I'm afraid that a replacement will be a refurb or have problems that I am not experiencing now.

Do you think the Air Rave would be a workable solution? They asked if we had broadband service at my school and we do. I am not sure that I am willing to pay more per month as I am already paying for service which is not there. But I have have seen some posts about Sprint providing an Air Rave with no monthly cost.

There has also been some mention in the forum of forced Roaming but I do not see an option to do that on my Pre--only "Sprint" or "Automatic". (I get a strong Roaming signal) I'm guessing that forced roaming involves rooting the phone. I do not feel that I have the expertise to do that.

Is there a solution to my dilemma of poor-to-no service in my building? I really like my Pre and do not want to switch to another phone.
    I work for advance tech support and to tell you the truth there will not be much they can do for coverage issues indoors. Your only option might be an air rave if you want to waste more money.
    why is Sprint in blatant collusion with all other major US carriers in REFUSING to offer MiFi-like card plans that provide more than 5GB/month.

you know congress has got you in it's sights right?

you still have time to repent and make amends.

and btw... please fire the ignorant #$%&s who try to argue with me on the Sprint customer service line that 5GB is waaaaAAAAaaay more than anyone could use in a month unless I am up to some nefarious criminal acts.

HELLO! 5GB = the content of one data DVD. given that we are faced with TERABYTE sized storage capacity media (SDXC) in the next year, how can you rightfully justify being the biggest bottleneck in the world's e-progress????

You are shameless, protectionist, greedy monsters who will soon see your precious network ripped from your grasp by regulatory intrusions unless you give this nation of high intensity data users what it demands.
    Mobile networks like this aren't designed to handle large volumes of data. They were designed for voice communications and have had high-speed data added onto them. The speeds aren't really there with low enough latencies for large file transfers or streaming, they are primarily meant for business people who need internet access at times where a hotspot isn't convenient, or who can't trust an unauthorized hotspot with sensitive files.

The Sprint 3G network is capped, however if you are in an area with WiMax coverage and have a 4G capable device like the U300 the 4G data usage is unlimited. Granted that isn't a lot of the areas currently, but it is rolling out nationwide right now, that's more than all of the other major carriers can say. The 4G footprint was recently just expanded to several new markets, and quite a few more are planned by the end of the year and more next year.

The average person on a Sprint Mobile Broadband card plan does not go over the 5GB cap, they didn't even before it was implemented. The cards aren't and have never been meant to be a primary internet connection, they are meant as a convenient way to access the internet nationwide while travelling. For that, there is a premium associated with it as well, just like any other "luxury" or non-essential kind of item or service.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    It is a nice thing you are doing here, listening to our questions and helping where you can.

Now about my bill!...just joking...

Thanks again.
    First of all, thank you VERY much for this thread. You guys are great!

Now, on to my question:

Looking online and trying to figure out the best deal, I am now able to jump on to the EPRP or I can get a regular 450 Everything Data plan with a 25% "Work for a partner company" discount.

Which one do you guys suggest? Can I get my 25% discount applied to an EPRP plan? I heard that wasn't possible...

If not, would it be a better idea to stick with the 25% discount or to jump on to the EPRP plan? 25% of 70 is 17.5, so without taxes and such, the plan would cost 52.5 per month. The EPRP would be 60 per month.

I plan on getting the TEP as well, but that's a different story.

So I guess my questions are:

Can the 25% discount be applied to an EPRP plan?
    If not, would it be better just to take the discount? or to start an EPRP plan?

FYI: I do not have any service with Sprint as of now. I will be starting a brand new account and a brand new plan.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RHerrick View Post

Hey i have issues with service at my job and there is a tweak to add the roaming option to your phone with the webosquick installer. works great for me even get my data on roaming plus there is no need to root.
    While your at it you could put on filecoaster to get homebrew apps or try some of the other apps or even the onscreen keypad if you need any help hit me up at kaiser10123 at my gmail account in an email
    Last edited by kaiser10123; 09/08/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    First of all, thank you VERY much for this thread. You guys are great!

Now, on to my question:

Looking online and trying to figure out the best deal, I am now able to jump on to the EPRP or I can get a regular 450 Everything Data plan with a 25% "Work for a partner company" discount.

Which one do you guys suggest? Can I get my 25% discount applied to an EPRP plan? I heard that wasn't possible...

If not, would it be a better idea to stick with the 25% discount or to jump on to the EPRP plan? 25% of 70 is 17.5, so without taxes and such, the plan would cost 52.5 per month. The EPRP would be 60 per month.

I plan on getting the TEP as well, but that's a different story.

So I guess my questions are:

Can the 25% discount be applied to an EPRP plan?
    If not, would it be better just to take the discount? or to start an EPRP plan?

FYI: I do not have any service with Sprint as of now. I will be starting a brand new account and a brand new plan.

Thanks!
    I would say go with the regular Everything Data 450 and add the 25% discount, that brings it down to ~$53. The EPRP 500 plan is $59.99 and no discounts apply. Either way the TEP is not discounted, and I definitely recommend it on a smartphone. Also remember that as long as you have a good payment history, after 6 months your account will automatically be enrolledin the Sprint Premier program and you'll be able to upgrade after a year. The EPRP 500 plan does not qualify for the Premier program since the base MRC is only $59.99, not the $69.99 minimum required.

So going with the regular plan and discount is both cheaper and you will qualify for more perks as a result.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    The speeds aren't really there with low enough latencies for large file transfers or streaming, they are primarily meant for business people who need internet access at times where a hotspot isn't convenient, or who can't trust an unauthorized hotspot with sensitive files.

The cards aren't and have never been meant to be a primary internet connection, they are meant as a convenient way to access the internet nationwide while travelling. For that, there is a premium associated with it as well, just like any other "luxury" or non-essential kind of item or service.

First off. Thanks for actually addressing the real issues behind this unacceptable situation.

Your reasoning and approach make sense in many respects (but not all, see below), so I would encourage you to copy and paste your response to me in a Sprint company-wide communication/memo that will enable the uninformed phone jockeys to actually provide a workable starting point for conversation... ALL Sprint customer service reps I have talked to (and there have been MANY), do not approach the issue in this light: They try to insist that I shouldn't need more than 5GB or that I have bad intentions simply for desiring more than 5GB. This is true for ALL other major carriers as well that I have contacted.

Having said that, I take issue with some of your statements.

1) If the use of these mobile hotspots is only to be used occasionally, then why does Sprint (and all the other colluding companies) force a Contracted Plan that wastes dozens of dolars a month? If it is for temporary use, only for travelling etc, then ethically Sprint should make the program a non-contracted "pay for a set amount of data" plan where I buy some data and it lasts until I use it up.

As well, any unused data below the 5GB cap should be ROLLED OVER to my next month.

That Sprint and the other jackals do not do this makes your reasoning hollow and false-sounding.

2) This feature is NOT a luxury. You even said it yourself:

"they are primarily meant for business people who need internet access at times where a hotspot isn't convenient [Read: isn't AVAILABLE!!!], or who can't trust an unauthorized hotspot with sensitive files"

"...way to access the internet nationwide while travelling"

These are not luxuries. Seriously. They are modern necessities, not niceties. Hopefully I can dispense with spending time explaining that obvious point here. But, briefly, access to file transfers, reservations, trip coordination etc is esential for the modern family and business traveler, as well as for scietific researchers such as myself.

Bottom line? Thanks for your time and detailed response, but it doesn't change the fact that the major carriers are in cahoots to deprive the US public of essential communication measures. Sprint et. al will reap the whirlwind someday... and I for one hope it is sooner rather than later.

Whether that comes in the form of government regulatory intrusion or shift away from Sprint en masse to any carrier with decent coverage who is willing toprovide what we need makes little difference to your bottom line.

Thanks for the reply. I have found Sprint to be very receptive to most issues, its unfortunate that for this most important (to me) issue of capping my GB, they have chosen to ride the high hard one.

TAGS: cap capped gb wifi wimax mifi sprint tether card travel essential communication researcher family trip planning contract rollover data usage unethical infrequent use
    I am soon to be on my 5th Pre. The following is a breakdown of what happened.

1. Proximity sensor went out
    2. Dead pixels
    3. Light leakage and dead pixels
    4. Dead pixels

The only one that was within the first 30 days was the proximity sensor. With this exchange they gave me a brand new Pre. Unfortunately dead pixels started appearing so they exchanged it with a refurbished Pre since it was after my 30 days. The next two have both have dead pixels and are both refurbished phones. The most recent one had only 1 dead pixel when I got it but now it has 5. I am going back into the sprint store and getting a 5th Pre. This is getting somewhat ridiculous and extremely time consuming.

Is there anything I can do to get a Pre without any problems? I have heard ones built after a certain date don't have as many issues with the screen. Is there any way Sprint would be able to get one of those phones. I would even be willing to pay the $100 deductible as long as I don't have to deal with this any longer. Will Sprint do this or do I just need to keep going into the store and crossing my fingers with a refurb?
    Global Posts
    2,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I am soon to be on my 5th Pre. The following is a breakdown of what happened.

1. Proximity sensor went out
    2. Dead pixels
    3. Light leakage and dead pixels
    4. Dead pixels

The only one that was within the first 30 days was the proximity sensor. With this exchange they gave me a brand new Pre. Unfortunately dead pixels started appearing so they exchanged it with a refurbished Pre since it was after my 30 days. The next two have both have dead pixels and are both refurbished phones. The most recent one had only 1 dead pixel when I got it but now it has 5. I am going back into the sprint store and getting a 5th Pre. This is getting somewhat ridiculous and extremely time consuming.

Is there anything I can do to get a Pre without any problems? I have heard ones built after a certain date don't have as many issues with the screen. Is there any way Sprint would be able to get one of those phones. I would even be willing to pay the $100 deductible as long as I don't have to deal with this any longer. Will Sprint do this or do I just need to keep going into the store and crossing my fingers with a refurb?
    Depending on if you are going to a full service and repair store or just an advanced exchange store you should be able to get a brand new Pre. Sprint has recently introduced a Multiple Exchange policy which states that they have the ability to chose a phone in a lower priority if you have had 3 or more replacements with the same issue. Unfortunately they have little ability to get you into a different phone but they should be able to look into getting you into a brand new Pre rather than a refurbished one.
    My phone bill for this month is $700. My hubby and my old phones fell in the lake, so we bought a Pre and a Lotus. I couldn't use his upgrade on my Pre. So, I had to pay $400+ for the Pre plus his new phone, and the phone bill. How much do we need to pay to keep the phone service ON until the end of the month?? $700 is a bit steep out the 1st of the month check...Just being real..:-/
    Global Posts
    2,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovely_olemiss View Post
    My phone bill for this month is $700. My hubby and my old phones fell in the lake, so we bought a Pre and a Lotus. I couldn't use his upgrade on my Pre. So, I had to pay $400+ for the Pre plus his new phone, and the phone bill. How much do we need to pay to keep the phone service ON until the end of the month?? $700 is a bit steep out the 1st of the month check...Just being real..:-/
    Depends. If you have a spending limit you are going to need to pay whatever amount will get you under that limit. Otherwise you are going to need to pay whatever your past due amount is.

If you have neither a past due amount or a spending limit then you don't really HAVE to pay anything until your bill is due, at which point it would be a smart move to get the bill paid in its entirety. Once the past due amount hits thats when you will start having issues with suspended service.
    I want to add another line to my family plan (currently 2 lines, going to add a 3rd).

I don't want or need to buy a new phone, I'm going to use a Centro I have. So no need to buy a phone.

Local Sprint store says that a 2 year contract is still required on the new line - even if I don't buy a new phone.

Is that correct? I thought the contract deal was only when you were buying a new phone at a discounted rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Depending on if you are going to a full service and repair store or just an advanced exchange store you should be able to get a brand new Pre. Sprint has recently introduced a Multiple Exchange policy which states that they have the ability to chose a phone in a lower priority if you have had 3 or more replacements with the same issue. Unfortunately they have little ability to get you into a different phone but they should be able to look into getting you into a brand new Pre rather than a refurbished one.
    Gotcha. I was at the Sprint store yesterday and the rep there was very helpful and I am getting another refurbished Pre on Thursday. I asked about just getting a new Pre and she told me it wouldn't matter. I even offered to pay the $100 deductible just to get a new one. She said that even though the phone is "refurbished" the only thing that is saved from the refurbished phone is the CDMA chip and nothing else. No screen, keyboard, etc.

If this is the case then I am just very unlucky to keep getting bad screens. However she did say that the dead pixels are a known issue to Palm and they ordered me another refurbished phone. Should I try to get a new phone or is the Sprint rep correct in that it will not matter because they don't reuse things like the screen?

Also, what does it mean to choose a phone in a lower priority?
    At repair centers when ordering a replacement we have a list that we must follow and the replacement that is at priority 1 is first choice and if it isn't available we go down the priority list like a refurb comes before a brand new phone. Also, if there is an option under multiple exchange then we can use that list with some phones to see what is another option.

P.S. it is right that issues with a refurbs you would have with a brand new one as well but from looking at that many replacements I know I would have personally gave you a brand new one if we had one in stock and did an in store exchange.
  17. kbw
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    i bought my pre less than a week ago & would like to get my $50 bucks back for the price drop. do u think the store would just credit me the difference if im up front or do i really need to return it just to buy it right back?
    Will the new AnyMobile plan work with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Will the new AnyMobile plan work with the Pre?
    YES, in short...anyone who has a Pre is definately on this anytime mobile thing...Spint just updated the plan info this morning...check out the plans on sprint site for yourself

Pre requires the Everything Data Plan just to clarify.

Sprint - Define Region
    Quote Originally Posted by kbw View Post
    i bought my pre less than a week ago & would like to get my $50 bucks back for the price drop. do u think the store would just credit me the difference if im up front or do i really need to return it just to buy it right back?
    If you bought it at the store then will credit $50 back to your account.