Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Anybody have any luck converting an alltel treo pro to verizon?

    i just bought an Alltel treo pro, and attempted to get it actived both at the store, and over the phone with a rep. The store said no way, the guy on the phone said he's never heard of alltel phones being activated on verizon, but he would try anyway. upon entering the hex code off the back of the phone, it brought a message up on his end that said cannot complete operation: Alltel marketing restrictions, whatever that means. they are both cdma, use practically the same network, and are both owned by the same major company.

    I went ahead and followed the thread "Alltel Touch Pro on Verizon," on ppcgeeks with directions on how to change the M.IP settings, as well as installing a DCD VZW carrier cab on the Treo Pro. I updated the PRL with the Verizon version 51143 using QPST, as well as setting up all the data settings in the EPST. I dialed the *228, got the Verizon OTA Programming menu, and selected option 3. I entered my number, password, and thought I had almost made it, until it said it was transferring me to an associate, at which point I was left on hold for almost 10 minutes and then I hung up. This has happened a couple times with no one answering on CS end. anyone get this far, maybe even farther?
  2. #2  
    i got the sprint treo pro onto my alltel account so don't give up call cs from a land line and tell them its a touch pro or something so they will add esn to the system which will allow you to ota program or u can try manually programming it with settings from another phone
  3.    #3  
    yes, that would make more sense though since alltel does carry a treo pro, and it seems that if verizon carries the same phone as another cdma carrier, it's tons easier to get it activated.

    ok, an update: i'm no longer put on hold when *228, option 3. it just goes to a message that tells me i'm not able to make this phone call as soon as it tried to forward me to a customer service rep. i updated to PRL 60650, and the phone won't even place a call to *228 at all anymore. i'm really wanting to keep trying because i love treos, and i've always used one, and now verizon doesn't carry any at all. really hoping that i can get this to go through. i will take your advice and tell them it's a touch pro when i speak to them.
  4. #4  
    Alltel device ESNs/MEIDs can only be added to Verizon accounts that belong to converted Alltel customers. The billing system will not put Alltel phones on legacy Verizon customer accounts.
  5.    #5  
    that doesn't entirely sound correct for a couple reasons. The first is that i have heard Verizon will activate any CDMA phone that complies with their standards (E911, gps location, etc), whether from Sprint or Alltel, per their open activation policy. Having said this, i do not know the dynamics of their policy, if it really exists, and what restrictions there are. The second is that I have read many situations throughout forums online of instances where people activated their Alltel/Sprint phone on Verizon, but for the examples I have found, a comperable phone was available from Verizon itself. For example, a Touch Pro from Sprint was activated on Verizon. There was no loophole. i have heard that the MEID/ESN needs to be added to Verizon's DMD if it is not already in there, which is at the descretion of the CSR that you have available on the phone, but as i posted earlier on this thread, it seems that it is already registered as it brought up the "Alltel Marketing Restrictions" on his end, yet this could just be something he said, and it may never have actualyl produced a message on his end. People have suggested that I call up and claim this is a different phone and try it that way, and the CSR from verizon told me to hold on to it; chances are good that after the Alltel merger finishes, this phone will be able to be activated onto my account, which seems to make sense to me.
  6.    #6  
    Although my previous post was lengthy, it's clear i'm not to a solution yet, so any other input would be great!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp522 View Post
    "Alltel Marketing Restrictions"
    This error in Vision means that per Marketing, Alltel ESNs can only be activated on Alltel customer accounts. Period.

    All Alltel ESNs have been loaded into VZW's Billing System and per VZW policy, Alltel handsets can only be activated on Alltel migrated accounts.

    Before the Alltel buyout, you are correct that is was possible to activate Alltel handsets on VZW accounts, but not anymore.
  8. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm thinking there's got to be some way to take advantage of alltell accounts getting switched to verizon shortly- couldn't you just open a new alltel account and activate it that way? At this point it's the same as having vz- no?

    what's the reason you want to activate it on a vz account?

    if you want your number- then port it over from the old vz account when you activate with alltell.

    If you are a family plan or something- you could just wait till the alltell account gets verizonized and then transfer the other legacy verizon phones over to the alltell account.

    so what's your specifics and maye someonce can figure out a way to get you taken care of ?
  9.    #9  
    Well, I want the Treo Pro because i had always been a faithful Treo user as Verizon used to carry them since the 600...but now it seems there has been a falling out with the two companies (Palm and Verizon)...why else would they not release any new CDMA version of their Treo on Verizon after all this time? It's been over 2.5 years since the 700w/wx was released, and it has since been discontinued. I recently renewed my contract with Verizon, and considering the ultimate fate of Alltel, transferring isn't an option. It would almost seem rediculous, no offense intended to your idea, as they ARE the same company, and that is a big hassle when the merger will be finished this fall. While I know that 80% of Alltel will be with Verizon, my understanding is that the remaining Alltel customers will be moved to other phone companies such as Sprint and AT&T...

    As I had mentioned, the Verizon CSR guy told me that it is likely that the Pro might activate after the merger is completely finalized and the dust has settled, and there is no "Alltel" division of Verizon. This was said to me in an "un-official" capacity as Verizon itself hasn't said anything at all regarding the abilities of doing this.

    Crossroadstech, my apologies, i wasn't trying to accuse your idea of being wrong; I hadn't considered that they would stop activating Alltel phones after merger began. It's a shame, too, that the Pro didn't come out until after the merger began, which probably means it wasn't a real good chance that it would work.


    Would the Sprint version of this phone have any more success???
  10. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp522 View Post
    Well, I want the Treo Pro because i had always been a faithful Treo user as Verizon used to carry them since the 600...but now it seems there has been a falling out with the two companies (Palm and Verizon)...why else would they not release any new CDMA version of their Treo on Verizon after all this time? It's been over 2.5 years since the 700w/wx was released, and it has since been discontinued. I recently renewed my contract with Verizon, and considering the ultimate fate of Alltel, transferring isn't an option. It would almost seem rediculous, no offense intended to your idea, as they ARE the same company, and that is a big hassle when the merger will be finished this fall. While I know that 80% of Alltel will be with Verizon, my understanding is that the remaining Alltel customers will be moved to other phone companies such as Sprint and AT&T...

    As I had mentioned, the Verizon CSR guy told me that it is likely that the Pro might activate after the merger is completely finalized and the dust has settled, and there is no "Alltel" division of Verizon. This was said to me in an "un-official" capacity as Verizon itself hasn't said anything at all regarding the abilities of doing this.

    Crossroadstech, my apologies, i wasn't trying to accuse your idea of being wrong; I hadn't considered that they would stop activating Alltel phones after merger began. It's a shame, too, that the Pro didn't come out until after the merger began, which probably means it wasn't a real good chance that it would work.


    Would the Sprint version of this phone have any more success???
    it's not a random 80% of alltell subs getting bought by vz with the other 20% being sold off. it goes by market area. In places where they overlapped the justice department made them spin off those alltell subs and I think ATT bought them?

    anywho- it may be rediculous to go to alltell now just to switch to vz again in months but if you really want it that may be the only way.

    If you buy a sprint version and call a normal CSR the number wont be in the VZ database and they wont activate it. Some have had success talking someone into adding a sprint (or other cdma phone) - others have tried over and over again and gotten no where .


    I wouldn't hold your breath that a CSR told you it was "likely it might" work. But maybe you get lucky that way.

    Verizon has already said they will be getting the pre and it's "cousin" early in 2010 so if you are going to wait till the fall for a treo with windows mobile then maybe waiting another few months for a webos phone is an option?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    it's not a random 80% of alltell subs getting bought by vz with the other 20% being sold off. it goes by market area. In places where they overlapped the justice department made them spin off those alltell subs and I think ATT bought them?

    anywho- it may be rediculous to go to alltell now just to switch to vz again in months but if you really want it that may be the only way.

    If you buy a sprint version and call a normal CSR the number wont be in the VZ database and they wont activate it. Some have had success talking someone into adding a sprint (or other cdma phone) - others have tried over and over again and gotten no where .


    I wouldn't hold your breath that a CSR told you it was "likely it might" work. But maybe you get lucky that way.

    Verizon has already said they will be getting the pre and it's "cousin" early in 2010 so if you are going to wait till the fall for a treo with windows mobile then maybe waiting another few months for a webos phone is an option?
    I do agree that it would be a little senseless going to Alltel, especially since this is a family plan, and god knows what types of penalties i'll pay for early termination (yes, there is an exact amount, but it's more than i'm willing to consider just to use a certain type of phone). I don't know exactly what I'm going to do. I'm probably going to hold onto the phone, and who knows, once merger is completely finished I may be able to activate it. If not, I've got a Pro I can try to sell.

    In regards to the Sprint version, I am writing a similar thread on another board, and someone who responded is trying to get their Sprint Pro activated on Verizon; the CSR is going to add the ESN to Verizon's DMD, but it has been "escalated" 3 times, and still hasn't been added to their database yet. My understanding is once it is added to the DMD, it is much easier to activate it.

    I am not too familiar with the Pre (not that I haven't heard OF it); all that I know is it runs the new WebOS and it is a simplified OS. I do tend to like Windows, but I'll play with a Pre when it is available at the VZW store.
  12. #12  
    One possibility is to put it on Page Plus (any ESN accepted). Verizon/Alltel Network, UNLIMITED Talk and Text for $39.95, prepaid, no tax, no contract. Only downside is they don't have an unlimited data plan yet, but 20 MB is included and additional data is PAYGO at 60c/ MB. You can test out the service for free by contacting a dealer on the HowardForums Page Plus Forum and you will get 100 free minutes good for 4 months.

    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - FREE Services (Activations, ESN Changes, ESN Swaps, Phone Number Changes, etc...)

    There is even a Palm pre now on Page Plus.
  13. #13  
    I got a palm pre activated on Alltel, and I didn't even change the MEID/ESN. They just put it on my account. It just takes a bit of social engineering
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

    Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by adactuslatem View Post
    I got a palm pre activated on Alltel, and I didn't even change the MEID/ESN. They just put it on my account. It just takes a bit of social engineering
    There was an Alltel dealer on HoFo in FL I once used to get my E816 on Alltel U. No social engineering required.

Posting Permissions