Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    So stupid, isn't it a pain to put all the frequency bands, why isn't there a global communications committee/foundation that can wed manufacturers, carriers and continents closer together? Arg.
    there is some international agency that works to unify frequncy allocations.

But the problem happens becasue 100 years ago the US did one thing for tv and radio, europe did another, asia another, etc. And then they went from there. Until satellites came around in the 60's probably no one thought about needing to build a radio that worked all over the world. And now it's all a jumbled mess. So they try to figure out where they have similar slots open without having to eject current users which could cost billions.

It's kind of like electricity, or what side of the street to drive on. 100 years ago decisions where made and now how to you undo them to be the same everywhere? Do you just wake up on Jan 1 and tell everyone in England to drive on the right side of the road? How do you fix all their limited access highways that were built with the on and off ramps on the wrong sides? It could cost billions to fix that.

Same would happen if you told some countries to move their tv stations or whatever might be in the way.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I don't see it happening. US carriers want you locked into their network with locked CDMA phones.
    UK carriers have you locked in on their GSM phones but when the contract is up then they will provide you with the unlock code free of charge.

Is this what happens in the US?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    UK carriers have you locked in on their GSM phones but when the contract is up then they will provide you with the unlock code free of charge.

frequently yes- but people dont know to ask and I'm not sure if it's an official policy or not.

Myself I'm I've been on the 2 main CDMA carriers in the US (the 2 main GSM carriers are often thought of as second rate in the US, T-mobile spends no money here so they are the last place of of the national carriers, and ATT seems to have been hobbled by needing to buy up scores of smaller systems over the years cobbling together tons of different technologies)- So I'm not certain but I am under the imperssion that also sometimes the phone's firmware is written in such a way that it too sort of forces you onto a particular netwrok. So even though you can get it's sim slot unlocked to put another sim card in you then have to hunt down new firmware if it exists to reprogram the smartphone functions. The phone will make voicecalls with the new sim but the data, text, and mms type functions get fouled up with the wrong firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post

There's no SIMS card in the US CDMA phones and the carriers will not provide you any type of unlock code. There are a few places that will flash your CDMA phones ROM to another carrier, but you'll likely have trouble activating it on another network. So CDMA phones in the US are basically locked to each carrier.

In the UK you also have the option to buy unlocked GSM phones. That's the only option I select. I would rather pay a couple hundred more up front, than get locked into a 2 year contract.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

5.    #25  
    Palandri -

Just to save you a few hundres of pounds.

Buy a phone on contract - the discounts provided by carriers are big.

Omnia HD 18 month contract - free phone 35pcm - costs 630

Contract free it costs 500

What I do is simply pay 20 which most operators charge to unlock the phone and then just flash the phone with the latest manufacturer firmware. This saves me a signifcant amount.

In the UK a few years ago most contracts were for 12 months which are still common but the biggest discounts are now available on 18 month contracts.

But you can get 12, 18 or 24 month contracts - whatever takes your fancy!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12