Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I searched and most of the relevant threads are a couple of years old and I need to know what the best course of action is for my trip this weekend to Toronto for NXNE.

I gather that I can add Canada Roaming to my account for $2.99/mo. and that it's prorated so the four days I'll be there will cost 40 cents. Nice. Voice calls look to be 20 cents per minute, which kinda sucks but isn't a bank-breaker for the handful of calls we expect to make. Data roaming looks prohibitively expensive at a very confusing $0.002/KB, meaning it's $2/MB which would pile up rather quickly with today's high-calorie Intartoobz.

So, what is the safest way to do this? Set the Pre to Automatic Voice Network, but Disabled Data Roaming and then look for free wifi hot spots to hop on to check email and web pages? Toronto has plenty of open access points downtown, so this could work for us.

Final question: What about Google Maps or, more importantly, Sprint Navigation? Does it work for free or does it require the data roaming to be turned on? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    I searched and most of the relevant threads are a couple of years old and I need to know what the best course of action is for my trip this weekend to Toronto for NXNE.

I gather that I can add Canada Roaming to my account for $2.99/mo. and that it's prorated so the four days I'll be there will cost 40 cents. Nice. Voice calls look to be 20 cents per minute, which kinda sucks but isn't a bank-breaker for the handful of calls we expect to make. Data roaming looks prohibitively expensive at a very confusing $0.002/KB, meaning it's $2/MB which would pile up rather quickly with today's high-calorie Intartoobz.

So, what is the safest way to do this? Set the Pre to Automatic Voice Network, but Disabled Data Roaming and then look for free wifi hot spots to hop on to check email and web pages? Toronto has plenty of open access points downtown, so this could work for us.

Final question: What about Google Maps or, more importantly, Sprint Navigation? Does it work for free or does it require the data roaming to be turned on? Thanks in advance.
    For voice the $2.99 add on will be perfect but for data there is a $40 add on which allows unlimited data worldwide. This can also be taken on and off as needed and it would also be pro rated. It is sooo worth it as $2 per MB will add up in a hurry.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I'm in exactly the same situation--going to Toronto this coming weekend. The prorated $40 unlimited data sounds worth it (for 4 days would end up being just $5 or something).

But I wondered about disabling digital roaming--would that insure no expensive data fees if I didn't pay for the world roaming data? My phone default setting seems to be digital roaming disabled, so...I guess I would have to change this if I did pay extra for unlimited data.

Can any one shed any light on this ^ ?
    To receive calls while in Canada but restrict data:

Voice Network - Auto
    Data Roaming - Disabled
    My wife just came back from Toronto last week with her Pre. We verified in advance that both voice and data would incur fees...even with our Everything Plan.

Our solution - We added Canada Roaming for $2.99. Thus, she paid $0.20 a minute to talk instead of $0.59. That plan pays for itself pretty fast. We decided against paying $40 for unlimited international data since she was just going for three days...so we just made sure that data roaming was turned off on her Pre. It's nice that they include such a switch...and default it to off.

BTW, we canceled Canada Roaming yesterday and they stated that it would as of June 26th...so that doesn't sound prorated to me. Oh well, either way, no biggie.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    ^^My experience has also been that the $2.99 Canada voice roam is not prorated.
  7.    #7  
    Text (SMS) messages aren't considered data, are they? Just email and web, right?
    In the past when I text folks in Canada I was charged "international text rates" (I think it was $0.40 each) but I'm not seeing charges for that if I check my account on-line since upgrading to the 1500 Everything. Perhaps text to Canada are included?
  9.    #9  
    Jeez. I don't want to pay 40 cents if someone texts "lol" to me when I could TALK to them for 2 minutes for the same money. I wish the darn site would explain ALL THE CHARGES instead of forcing us to get anecdotal reports from each other.
  10.    #10  
    This is worrisome; I added Canada Roaming to my account and received an email with this phrase in it:

Please note: You should see these changes online within the next 3 hours. However, some changes do not take effect on your phone until the start of your next billing period.

Uhhhhhhh...does this mean I'm exposed to getting tagged with a $.59/min. rate for calls?
  11.    #11  
    Hmmm...this is in the fine print:

Texting is not yet available while roaming outside of the US. Although you may receive a free welcome message upon arrival in a country, all other messages will be held for 48 hours to be delivered upon returning to the Sprint network. Messages that can not be delivered will be deleted after 48 hours. Messages that go through will be rated based on your texting plan or $0.20 per message if you do not have texting plan.

So, I won't pay for texts, but I won't get them until I'm home. WTF? Canada isn't the Phantom Zone - it's the as-yet-unassimilated states to our North. Why can't texts go through?
    Okay....I started a chat with Sprint CS to get to the bottom of this....I will post the results.
    It was painful (at one point the CSR insisted that the text messages would also have roaming charges on top of international text charges!!!!) but I got the answers I needed in the end. That said I'm not sure how I can trust anything she said after such an epic fail.

However.......any text messaging involving Canada in ANY WAY (to, from, while there or in the USA) will cost $0.20. Also, these messages will not show up on your Sprint on-line tools, only on your monthly bill.

The CSR that I chatted with said that text messaging in Canada will work normally as it does in the USA, no mention of the queuing thing. One would think she should be right...this is basic basic stuff :-)

Chat details below:

Next question
    4:12:07 PM Customer Thompson
    I would like to know if the Everything plan Iím on covers sending and receiving text messages to and from Canada.
    4:15:40 PM Agent Judith C.
    Texting to Canada would be International, that is not included in your plan.
    4:15:54 PM Customer Thompson
    Cost per message?
    4:16:35 PM Agent Judith C.
    That would be .20 per message.
    4:17:03 PM Customer Thompson
    okay
    4:17:20 PM Agent Judith C.
    Do you have any further questions or concerns, that I may assist you with today?
    4:17:23 PM Customer Thompson
    If Iím roaming in Canada will text messaging work as it normally would in the USA
    4:18:30 PM Agent Judith C.
    You will incur roaming charges but it will send the same way.
    4:19:03 PM Customer Thompson
    What is the roaming charge to send a text message while in Canada and also what the hell are you talking about?!??!
    4:20:30 PM Agent Judith C.
    One moment please
    4:20:41 PM Customer Thompson
    Okay
    4:20:55 PM Agent Judith C.
    that would be .59 per minute.
    4:21:15 PM Agent Judith C.
    We do have an international plan that would reduce the cost for $4 monthly.
    4:21:24 PM Customer Thompson
    how much "air" time will I be charged to send a text message and why would a text message use up my voice minutes? What is going on down there!!?!?!?
    4:22:00 PM Agent Judith C.
    Text messages are .20 per text
    4:22:15 PM Agent Judith C.
    It is a flat rate.
    4:23:02 PM Customer Thompson
    Yes you said that.....but you also said I would be charged a roam fee for sending text messages while in Canada. That sounds crazy!!
    4:23:23 PM Customer Thompson
    Shouldnít a roam charge for a text be per text rather than per minute (if roaming charges actually existed for text messages which they do not)?
    4:24:41 PM Customer Thompson
    I'm not interested in voice charges!!!!!!!....just the charges for sending text messages. Judith and you in a parallel universe?
    4:25:05 PM Agent Judith C.
    One moment please.
    4:26:15 PM Agent Judith C.
    Thank you for you patience,
    4:26:55 PM Agent Judith C.
    my information was incorrect, there are no roaming fees for text messages to Canada just the .20 per text charge.
    4:27:10 PM Customer Thompson
    That is what I thought
    4:27:28 PM Customer Thompson
    You are 100% sure about this?
    4:27:35 PM Agent Judith C.
    I apologize.
    4:27:50 PM Agent Judith C.
    Yes, I am.
    4:28:00 PM Customer Thompson
    Next question
    4:28:05 PM Customer Thompson
    If Iím roaming in Canada with my Sprint phone is a Canada-to-Canada text message considered an international text message?
    4:28:20 PM Agent Judith C.
    That is correct.
    4:28:46 PM Customer Thompson
    Next question
    4:28:48 PM Customer Thompson
    If Iím roaming in Canada with my Sprint phone is a Canada-to-USA text message considered an international text message?
    4:29:15 PM Agent Judith C.
    Yes, that is also international text.
    4:29:20 PM Customer Thompson
    So basically any text messaging involving Canada is $0.20?
    4:29:30 PM Agent Judith C.
    That is correct.
    4:29:40 PM Customer Thompson
    Okay then
    4:30:10 PM Agent Judith C.
    Do you have any further questions or concerns, that I may assist you with today?
    4:30:20 PM Customer Thompson
    Just to make sureÖ..I sent a few text messages to Canada last weekÖ.can you see those charges on my account?
    4:30:35 PM Agent Judith C.
    One moment I will check for you.
    4:30:45 PM Customer Thompson
    I don't see them on-line.
    4:31:27 PM Customer Thompson
    ....when I log into my Sprint account.
    4:31:35 PM Agent Judith C.
    I am not showing any text messages to Canada
    4:32:05 PM Customer Thompson
    InterestingÖ.I sent 2 of them late last week.
    4:32:50 PM Customer Thompson
    Is it at all possible that sending text messages to Canada is somehow included in the 1500 Everything plan that I have?
    4:35:45 PM Agent Judith C.
    The text to Canada will not show because they are pending until the close of the billing cycle.
    4:36:39 PM Customer Thompson
    I see....So there is no way of monitoring your International text messaging like there is for domestic?
    4:39:05 PM Agent Judith C.
    I do apologize, But those charges will appear at close of the billing cycle at .20 per text.
    4:39:21 PM Customer Thompson
    So the answer is no?
    4:39:45 PM Agent Judith C.
    That option is not available, no.
    4:39:52 PM Customer Thompson
    Next question
    4:40:05 PM Customer Thompson
    Do I receive an international text messaging charge if someone from Canada text messages me while Iím in the USA?
    4:40:51 PM Agent Judith C.
    Yes, any text made and/or received from Canada are international text.
    4:41:37 PM Customer Thompson
    So if a Canadian sends me a text message while I'm at home her in the USA I will be charged $0.20 for it?
    4:42:00 PM Agent Judith C.
    That is correct.
    4:42:05 PM Customer Thompson
    Is there any way to prevent that?
    4:42:23 PM Customer Thompson
    What if someone thinks it's funny to send me 1000 text messages?
    4:44:20 PM Agent Judith C.
    Text message rates are flat rates, there is no plan for International text.
    4:44:30 PM Agent Judith C.
    I wouldn't find that very funny!
    4:44:43 PM Customer Thompson
    That is what I'm saying
    4:45:00 PM Agent Judith C.
    I understand the concern.
    4:45:03 PM Customer Thompson
    I have now way to control who will send me text messages
    4:45:09 PM Customer Thompson
    oh well
    4:45:14 PM Customer Thompson
    my problem
    4:45:45 PM Agent Judith C.
    May I suggest maybe emailing your Canadian contacts from a PC and let them know not to send text messages like crazy!
    4:46:02 PM Customer Thompson
    yes
    4:46:14 PM Customer Thompson
    Okay...I'm done
    4:46:16 PM Customer Thompson
    thanks
    4:46:25 PM Agent Judith C.
    That may help you control the mount of text messages you receive.
    4:46:30 PM Agent Judith C.
    You are quite welcome!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    4:19:03 PM Customer Thompson
    What is the roaming charge to send a text message while in Canada and also what the hell are you talking about?!??!
    4:20:30 PM Agent Judith C.
    One moment please
    Sorry for your pain...but I almost choked on my spit when I got ^ here, lol.

Good to know that I should avoid making Canadian friends who like to text while there. Also good to know more about how the pricing for that works.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Okay, so I just got off the phone with two Sprint reps who told me the exact same thing:

1. $2.99 Canada Roaming service I just added online was activated immediately.
    2. Text msgs sent and received while in Canada only are a flat fee of .20/message. No extra add-on necessary.
    3. THERE IS NO ADD-ON FOR DATA ROAMING SERVICE FOR THE PALM PRE. Any data roaming done on Palm Pre in Canada will incur a .59/KB charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    Okay, so I just got off the phone with two Sprint reps who told me the exact same thing:

1. 2.99 Canada Roaming service I just added online was activated immediately.
    2. Text msgs sent and received while in canada are a flat fee of .20/message. No extra add-on necessary.
    3. THERE IS NO ADD-ON FOR DATA ROAMING SERVICE FOR THE PALM PRE. Any data roaming done on Palm Pre in Canada will incur a .59/KB charge.

I don't think that third bullet is correct. The $0.59 charge is a per minute charge for voice roaming when you are not on the Canada Roaming plan. Data roaming is $2.00 per Megabyte in Canada...or roughly 1/5th of one cent per kilobyte - 300 times less than $0.59 per kilobyte.

The Pre will not automatically download updates when you are data roaming, but you will still get nailed for email and calendar synchs taking place in the background. Just log into your Sprint account and take a look at download rates to get a sense of how much data that is. It's huge.

Funny thing - I use a pop account for my Pre mail...and the inbox is normally empty since I move read email to a server folder that is not synched with the Pre. My wife and daughter use Yahoo mail, and the Pre synchs all of their folders all of the time. They don't notice, but their batteries do not last as long as mine and their data usage is MASSIVE - five times mine.

Thus, as stated above, I think that you should either leave data roaming off when you leave the country *or* purchase the $40 international plan before leaving. $40 may seem like a lot, but at least it's a known cost...and you could seriously get nailed for a $10,000 data roaming charge on a vacation if you are not careful.

Just looking at my wife's Pre usage this month, she would be getting hit with a $500 per *week* data usage bill if she was in Canada.

And that's my $0.02

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I don't think that third bullet is correct. The $0.59 charge is a per minute charge for voice roaming when you are not on the Canada Roaming plan. Data roaming is $2.00 per Megabyte in Canada...or roughly 1/5th of one cent per kilobyte - 300 times less than $0.59 per kilobyte.

The Pre will not automatically download updates when you are data roaming, but you will still get nailed for email and calendar synchs taking place in the background. Just log into your Sprint account and take a look at download rates to get a sense of how much data that is. It's huge.

Funny thing - I use a pop account for my Pre mail...and the inbox is normally empty since I move read email to a server folder that is not synched with the Pre. My wife and daughter use Yahoo mail, and the Pre synchs all of their folders all of the time. They don't notice, but their batteries do not last as long as mine and their data usage is MASSIVE - five times mine.

Thus, as stated above, I think that you should either leave data roaming off when you leave the country *or* purchase the $40 international plan before leaving. $40 may seem like a lot, but at least it's a known cost...and you could seriously get nailed for a $10,000 data roaming charge on a vacation if you are not careful.

Just looking at my wife's Pre usage this month, she would be getting hit with a $500 per *week* data usage bill if she was in Canada.

And that's my $0.02

cheers,
    Steve
    Thanks.

I was actually ready to purchase the $40 plan, but both Sprint reps (one a retention rep--I was canceling my second line) explicitly told me that the $40 add-on WOULD NOT WORK with the Pre. They said--independent of each other--that the only option was .59/KB with no upfront cost.

They also said, however, that so long as data roaming was turned off, I would not be charged for any data--just the calls and texts.

Sigh...I wish there was someway to know for sure. What are we supposed to do? Maybe someone else needs to try to call and see what answer they are given...
    The coincidence between the $0.59/min roam fee and this possible $0.59/Kb data fee while in Canada seem to strange to be right. Plus at $0.59/Kb it would cost you 3 million dollars every time you even looked at the data roaming setting.

According to the Sprint website, data while roaming in Canada is $0.002/Kb:

SPRINT PCS -

If they are printing it on the website then I'm sure they would honor it, right :-) That said the Pre is not on the list of "International Roaming Capable Phones" even if it is capable of that.

What I don't understand is that it's Canada we are talking about, I lived there for 28 years and I can tell you that it's not on another planet. What is so hard about a Sprint CSR giving accurate and concise info regarding Canadian voice and data roam charges!!?!?!
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/19/2009 at 02:09 PM.
    I present to you a magical phone number. A phone number that if dialed, connects you with Sprint employees that know what they are talking about when it comes to roaming. In fact, they know so much, that they don't even ask you to "please wait" while they look that information up because they don't have to look it up...they already know it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just called it myself.

888-226-7212 Opt#2

I got this phone number from a "supervisor" after calling *2. I just asked for a supervisor right off the bat and explained to him that I can't seem to get a stright answer out of any CRS about Canadian roaming. He said, "We don't really know anything about that stuff, call these guys...."

I can confirm that Data is 2 cents/Kb while in Canada.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Thanks, ryleyinstl.

I can confirm that the phone number (888.226.7212 Opt #2) will lead you to a person who can answer all of your questions about international data/calling/SMSing.

Here's what I was told:

1. As ryleyinstl says, data is 2 cents/kb. No extra add-on needed for this.
    2. Email will be pulled to phone even with data roaming off, but there will be no charge unless you open the email.
    3. Wifi access points can be used "free" so long as you do not download or open anything.
    4. The $40 international data plan is only for the Blackberry 8130.
    5. Texts: They do not guarantee that SMSs will show up, but if they do, and they are exchanged with someone in the US, they will be covered by your US text messaging service: FREE. Texts to Canadian #s cost 20 cents/SMS. Forgot to ask about MMS. Doh!
    6. Each voicemail you receive, before you listen to it, will cost you one minute (so, 20 cents with $2.99 Canada plan).
    7. Each voicemail, if you listen to it, will also cost you for the time you are listening.
    8. It's a good idea to turn on/or have them turn on the "international phone dialer" so that you can pick up the towers there--in order to make and receive calls.
    9. Dialing instructions to the US = 011 + area code + #.

Okay, that's all I thought to ask about. Hope that helps those of you with questions. Now, if we could just get them to list this clearly on their website...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast