Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    my $0.002 worth -- just went to sprint website and the international data roaming option is available for my palm pre, but not for my wife's LG Fusic, or my U727 data card. (yes i haven't convinced my wife to change over yet).
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Oh yes, i have a consumer account, and on the everything data share 1500 plan (who can use 1500 minutes anyway?)
    Yesterday I just called the number in my earlier post, said I wanted to activate the Call Canada ($2.99/ 0.09 per minute a call in/out) and the unlimited data roaming for $40. Not a hitch. activated.

I was told that even without either plan, there are no SMS charges. The minutes count towards your SMS count in your plan.

I also ask the rep to write in the notes that the plan can be prorated and that to confirm the details as I had a huge problem last year with this. He did it.

I have a Business Plan. Unlimited $99.99.
  4.    #44  
    Just took another weekend trip to Toronto; same places. Got one incoming call that lasted three minutes and made damn double sure that the data roaming was off. Checked my bill today and see a 60 cent charge for the call (correct) and 1452 kilobytes of roaming data costing $2.90. What the effing eff is going on here? I only connected to the web in the hotel lobby, but I noticed I was getting sporadic email alerts. Am I being charged for email that's getting shoved thru the system despite data roaming being off?
    i just found this thread- thanks to everyone for the great info. i will be traveling in canada for about 3 weeks in the summer. i first contacted sprint via chat and was told there is no add on available for roaming while in canada! i then called the number provided in this thread and added the $2.99 add on- she set it up to kick in and to be removed on the dates i specified. she offered the data roaming to at $40 (as above) but said while she can schedule it to add on i'd have to call and manually remove it. i did not add that yet because i wanted to do some math and check out the figures. looks like its a bargain for me. i'll add to my pre but not my wife's pixi. can i stop her data roaming? i have to look at the pixi.

thanks to all for the great info!
    Just called Sprint to add the $40 International Data Plan for a trip to Canada. I was told they have canceled it as of yesterday according to the CSR. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I can confirm that this is what my girlfriend was told when she called to get the international/overseas data plan for a trip to Italy. Her travel dates were, luckily for her, just before the end of the service.

But last summer, I used my Pre in Canada without this special international service (in fact, I was told I couldn't get it) and was charged next to nothing for the voice mails I listened to, etc. (see my previous posts about this in this thread).

Good luck.
    I use the Canada roaming $2.99 plan. Last August, I was up there for about 3 weeks, used my phone frequently and it didn't even add $20 to my total bill.

I have left the option on my plan, because I now live much closer and still go up, now and then.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    yes. i just contacted sprint about the international data plan as well, and it is no longer available. it has been discontinued as of 7/11/2010.

i was told that:

1. data roaming in canada will now cost $2.048 per MB.
    2. SMS to a canadian #, or receiving SMS from a canadian # will now cost 20 cents per msg
    3. phone calls are 59 cents per minutes, unless you buy the $2.99 package which will reduce the cost to 20 cents per minute

i also looked into google voice, and from what i can dig up so far (see the thread i just posted to here) google voice is the way to go for free SMS and lower international calls (although what "lower" means i still can't find any info. as far as data goes, it looks like we are out of luck now and will have to pay by the KB and depend on wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Just called Sprint to add the $40 International Data Plan for a trip to Canada. I was told they have canceled it as of yesterday according to the CSR. Can anyone else confirm this?
    lots of wifi up here,, i live about an hour east of Toronto.. a lot of it is even free.. starbucks timmies in some locations plus most coffee shops etc etc an hotels...

ps google voice does not work up here.. at least they wont give it to us canucks..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123