1.    #1  
    So this is my situation.

I had a Palm Treo 700wx and "upgraded" (yeah right) to the HTC Diamond last September. I don't qualify for an upgrade but my wife does. She's been out of contract for a few months. She likes my Diamond and I want the Pre. Now I used to work for RadioShack so this wasn't that big of a deal. In this situation, I'd have the customer upgrade their phone and then swap ESNs with each other after the rebates went through.

I went into a Sprint store to inquire about this, and the girl that helped me said that you couldn't do it with the Pre. She said the software didn't allow for phone number changes. That each ESN, once programed with a phone number, is locked into that number. I asked, well what if you want to sell your phone later? She said it wouldn't work.

Has anyone tried this?
    Would be interested to see what folks say as well. I had in-store folks tell me you couldn't do it with other devices, but I have before. I think it may just be a policy that is not really enforceable through the system.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    I was in the same situation. My line was not eligible for an upgrade. One of my 4 other lines was. I picked up the Pre at bestbuy on the line that was eligible for upgrade. Next day, I went online to sprint's website and did the ESN swap. No issues all. Pre is now on my line and Centro on the other.

Lewis
    I have done a few in the past couple of days....more than likely if she gets the upgrade done on her line and then swaps, you will loose the mail in rebate. Unless you keep it on her line for 30-32 days. (just hope she doesnt fall in love w it or ur screwed lol). if you swap immediately you will most likely have to fight for the rebate and not get it.

Non the less the rep was uneducated and didnt know what she was talking about. long story short...yes you can.
    I agree with what everyone else said, it can be done. It was such a hassle to do it over chat and the agent had problems understanding that I wanted.

One of my lines is a SERO line that I did not want to lose. On launch day I opened a new line with an everything plan. I wanted to test out the device before I committed by old number to it. When I was ready to commit and switch I went to the website and did it via chat.

Odd thing - my old number is on the Pre phone with the everything plan and no contract. While my new number on the SERO line (which was out of contract) with a 2 year contract. They told me that contracts followed numbers and not plans. So I can cancel the Pre line I opened on launch day without an EFT.

P.S. I decided to sell my SERO 500/$30 month in anyone is interested.
  6.    #6  
    My other question is would there be any issues with the mail in rebate if swapped ESNs right away?
    I wanted to do this today at the sprint store, I have two lines that are eligible for upgrade and two that aren't, the ones that aren't eligible are the lines that I want two Pre's for. So I wanted to upgrade the eligible lines and then switch numbers. The rep told me that he would do it but that sprint would catch it and then bill me the difference between the discount price and the full retail, even if I waited as much as 30 days to switch the numbers. He also said that because it might take as long as 45-60 days to process the rebate that if I switched numbers before that, I would not get a rebate check either. He has been with sprint for 5 years.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Wow. The girl at the store simply lied to you. I'm a Sprint dealer and the only person that gets hurt is the store you bought from (who loses some of their commission if the phone doesn't stay on the line for 60+ days).

You do need to keep the phone on the line for 60 days to make sure you get the mail-in rebate, they say 30, but 60 is the best bet.
    from what i know, not to contradict you yosh, but is that yes you can switch the phones from one line to another. the dealers get paid for signing the contract not selling a phone. it may just be the way my owners have found to get paid on accounts like these, which may intail fighting for commissions on accounts like these. i could be wrong though.

however to insure you get your mail in you should wait at least just over 30 days. sprint looks on your account on day 31 to see what phone is on the account to see what mail in rebate you qualify for. obviously if its not a new device then they would deny the MIR.
    Quote Originally Posted by NextWaveG View Post
    So this is my situation.

I had a Palm Treo 700wx and "upgraded" (yeah right) to the HTC Diamond last September. I don't qualify for an upgrade but my wife does. She's been out of contract for a few months. She likes my Diamond and I want the Pre. Now I used to work for RadioShack so this wasn't that big of a deal. In this situation, I'd have the customer upgrade their phone and then swap ESNs with each other after the rebates went through.

I went into a Sprint store to inquire about this, and the girl that helped me said that you couldn't do it with the Pre. She said the software didn't allow for phone number changes. That each ESN, once programed with a phone number, is locked into that number. I asked, well what if you want to sell your phone later? She said it wouldn't work.

Has anyone tried this?
    Bah. Loads of lies from that one girl. I did an ESN Swap on my Pres since I had one with some issues and my mom got a perfect one and she didn't notice any issues on mine original one so I just took hers!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Stunting, you get reimbursed for the handset itself, but you lose the "commission" for the contract. The unit has to stay on the line for 60-180 days depending on exactly what kind of contract it was (new, up, etc.) to get the commission. Sprint pays the commission after 30 days but if the unit comes off the line they simply remove the lost commission from your next commission payment.
    TBH it's black magic as far as the details go, but we have a guy who does nothing but chase our commissions and it is complex.
    I purchased phone out of state with a new number and next day I went to my local store and did an esn swap so the pre is on my main number
    Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77 View Post
    I was in the same situation. My line was not eligible for an upgrade. One of my 4 other lines was. I picked up the Pre at bestbuy on the line that was eligible for upgrade. Next day, I went online to sprint's website and did the ESN swap. No issues all. Pre is now on my line and Centro on the other.

Lewis
    I'd like to do this as well. Resurrecting this thread now to make sure that no one who did this back in June has since had Sprint or Best Buy or Radio Shack eventually try to charge them full retail after the ESN swap took place. I'm prepared to buy the phone at Best Buy or Radio Shack to avoid the potential of having rebate hassles due to the ESN swap, but I certainly don't want to risk eventually getting charged full retail.