Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Verizon customer for over 10 years, and have never used another carrier (So I don't really know what smartphones are like on Sprint/ATT/TMobile) -

What are some likely changes that will be made to the Pre when/if it arrives at Verizon? I've read some things about Wifi but, since I've never used a wifi phone, I'm not sure I'd notice a difference. I'm going to hold out til Pre comes out if it still has the same base feautures but if Verizon messes with it too much, then I'll just go with a Blackberry or the enV Touch (I'm currently using the Voyager) Namely I'm wondering...Apps? Would it change over to Verizons "Get It Now" or would you still be able to get (much much cooler) apps that have been mentioned in these threads? Because while I have very few things I dislike about Verizon, their applications leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BAuclair85; 06/13/2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Probably going to have to wait and see what Verizon does with a newer Palm phone. I think the newest Palm phone Verizon use to carry was the Treo 700wx. It's been a while since Verizon has added a new Palm phone.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Verizon got the Centro after it had been on Sprint for a while.

Since the Pre is a smart-phone chances are good the phone will be exactly like the current Pre, with some of the software swapped around (Verizon Navigator instead of Sprint Navigation, etc.). Wifi does not change no matter what carrier you use. Since the Palm App Store is operated by Palm it will be the same on the Verizon version.

The voyager is a train wreck of a phone, and the Pre will kick the snot out of any Blackberry you may be looking at (yes even the Storm).
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    The obvious thing is that all the Sprint specific apps wont be there - things like Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV, and Nascar. Verizon may decide to put their own equivalents in there however. I wonder if they would allow the Amazon music store because they have their own music store.
  5.    #5  
    Considering I'm coming from using basic flip phones, the voyager is pretty swanky but I'm now finding it just isn't cutting it. Being unable to click links in text messages, their dismal internet sevice, no copy & paste. And don't even get me started on "Melissa". (Melissa is one of the voice options on VZNav) That miserable wench NEVER gets me where I need to go. She drops me at abandoned buildings (Instead of say...Boston General Hospital) and apartment complexes (When I need to be at a CVS or the like). While theres no hope for Melissa...at least with a Pre I can go on google maps and double check.

The idea of multi-tasking kinda makes me giggle. Too bad I'll have to wait. Oh well.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizky View Post
    The obvious thing is that all the Sprint specific apps wont be there - things like Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV, and Nascar. Verizon may decide to put their own equivalents in there however. I wonder if they would allow the Amazon music store because they have their own music store.
    While I'm not a V-Cast Music (1.99 per song is a joke), it'd be nice if they gave the option of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Probably going to have to wait and see what Verizon does with a newer Palm phone. I think the newest Palm phone Verizon use to carry was the Treo 700wx. It's been a while since Verizon has added a new Palm phone.
    the centro too
    Sprint has their own music store too
    Typically Verizon shuts down the WiFi and makes the GPS a paid-only feature. There's talk of the big V loosening up on the GPS, but I've heard nothing of them allowing WiFi use.
    Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Typically Verizon shuts down the WiFi and makes the GPS a paid-only feature. There's talk of the big V loosening up on the GPS, but I've heard nothing of them allowing WiFi use.
    Supposedly the newer BlackBerrys for Verizon will have Wifi and ready for use whenever. All the other smart phones Verizon has, that isn't a BlackBerry, already have Wifi built in. Even then though you have to subscribe to the the $30 data plan. Which will probably be the same when/if the phone comes over to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeWebOS View Post
    Supposedly the newer BlackBerrys for Verizon will have Wifi and ready for use whenever. All the other smart phones Verizon has, that isn't a BlackBerry, already have Wifi built in. Even then though you have to subscribe to the the $30 data plan. Which will probably be the same when/if the phone comes over to Verizon.

it isnt 30 dollars 30 dollars is for the blackberry plan
    You have to pay only for VZ navigator on the storm u dont have to pay for google maps
    Quote Originally Posted by ShasonB View Post
    You have to pay only for VZ navigator on the storm u dont have to pay for google maps
    Excellent! It wasn't so long ago that you couldn't use the GPS with any stand-alone map application with VZW.
    Verizon
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Sprint has their own music store too
    You are right that they do. But notice Sprint agreed to ship the Amazon music store on the Pre instead of their own. I was just wondering if Verizon would do the same.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

??? huh??? Not following on the wifi.

I had an xv6800 (mogul) between my 700p and centro. and Recently went to a saga. Both have wifi and both worked from day 1 with no strings attached. Maybe years and years ago they locked it?

Till around January of this year they HAVE been setting up all their phones to ONLY used their Agps VZnav pay service. But the newer phones are either coming unlocked or getting unlocked with firware updates. The blackberry with the touchscreen got unlocked awhile ago, the htc touch pro got unlocked about a week ago, they have said the omnia and saga will also be unlocked this quarter- the omnia beta rom has even been leaked for weeks and weeks and people are using it. So supposedely GPS will be open going forward too. (of course no visible movement on the darn saga that I own- laughing)

Ttheir excuse is it's hard to allow AGPS via vznav and also stand alone gps on the same device- seems likely true I beleive the 800w on sprint had issues at first with it's gps becasue it was used to always asking the towers for help so if you left sprints footprint it wouldn't work. BUT verizon is clearly taking their dear sweet time to actually fix it. That's the most annoying thing I'd say about verizon is they take FOREVER to release firmware updates. I wonder how that will work with the Pre since palm can push them ota. Hopefully palm wins that fight.

All their recent WinMo devices do MMS- not always the case with Sprint.

What they do seem to do some lately that is really nasty is actually get crappier hardware for the same model on occasion- and THAT totally blows. But with something like the pre I dont think they can really spec a slower processor or anything. Could come with less memory.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    as an add on to a voice plan - "personal" email and web is 30 bucks now a days.

the "corporate" email and web add on is 45. I think that is defined as connecting to an exchange, lotus, goodlink, or blackberry server.

About the only reason to use an add-on is if you have a business plan. (or maybe you need to on a family share plan?)

But for non-business accounts they have "connected" plans that include unlimited txt/mms and personal email for just 10 bucks more than the "select" unlimited txt/mms plans.

they literally said to analysts recently (around the time all the new plans came along) that they realized their data pricing was too high and was costing them market share.

(the "select" plan with unlimited txt/mms actually costs 20 bucks more than the same minutes on the "basic" plan which has no messaging)
    Last edited by efudd; 06/17/2009 at 09:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    You are right that they do. But notice Sprint agreed to ship the Amazon music store on the Pre instead of their own. I was just wondering if Verizon would do the same.

interesting question. I doubt it- vz seems to love to push their own service. Or some deal they have with rhapsody.
    Most of Verizon smartphones have to have the $30 data plan. Even the Omnia and HTC Touch both of which has built in Wifi, have to have the data plan. And I assume that Verizon will make is mandatory too with the Pre.
  19.    #19  
    What I can't understand is why I currently pay for a plan that already includes web, data charges, even VZNav and VCast and they want me to spend another $30 for data which I ALREADY have as part of the plan and email...which I already get by using the internet and the Mobile Email was free.

Little much considering I pay 79.99 for the Nationwide Premium. I have the Voyager right now and have just about had my fill of its lack of features but I'm not gonna get the Storm and pay over $100 a month to tack on data when my plan allows internet. Completely pointless. I hope to God they don't make you add a Data plan to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAuclair85 View Post
    What I can't understand is why I currently pay for a plan that already includes web, data charges, even VZNav and VCast and they want me to spend another $30 for data which I ALREADY have as part of the plan and email...which I already get by using the internet and the Mobile Email was free.

Little much considering I pay 79.99 for the Nationwide Premium. I have the Voyager right now and have just about had my fill of its lack of features but I'm not gonna get the Storm and pay over $100 a month to tack on data when my plan allows internet. Completely pointless. I hope to God they don't make you add a Data plan to the Pre.
    I hope that they don't either, but Verizon will argue how good their coverage is, then continue to nickle and dime you every way that they can. I've heard rumors that they'll drop the data plan prices once LTE is rolled out but who knows.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast