Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I am currently on a wait list for my new Pre, and my last reservation is about committing to a non-GSM line of service for another 2 years since I plan to travel to Canada in 10 days and South Africa in the fall.

Does anyone have any advice about the best prepaid phone/service for either of these locations?

I have looked into Fido, but I am wondering if there is one phone (Virgin Mobile?) that would be best to use when I leave the country. Canada has some CDMA service, right? So, might my Pre work in Toronto (assuming I get it before I leave)?

Anyone have any ideas/solutions that don't include buying the iPhone?
    I kept my 650 for this use.
    When it was new, I used the 650 in Europe for 8 Weeks.

I got a Sim card from Orange I was able to:
    Get email
    Get and receive calls
    Photoblogged the entire trip
    Used the phone as GPS with Tom Tom European Maps (Picked up BMW Converible in Munich)
    Had a waterproof Bike mount for phone (for GPS)
    And keep abreast of the news at home.
    You should be ok with CDMA in Canada. South Africa you will need GSM.

I have a friend that is in a similar situation going to Europe this summer. He's just going to go to Target and get a cheap ATT or T-Mobile phone. Verizon wanted him to buy a dual band phone, which is ridiculous.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/wo...sm-phones.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I am originally from Canada and I go there to visit frequently. Your Pre will work just fine up there in about 90% of the populated areas of the country. I've never had issues with roaming my sprint phone to canada. Just watch out on the data roaming charges, I make it a habit of turning off data except for when I absolutely need it as it adds up fast just doing background tasks like checking email and the like.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    When I lived in South Africa, I liked Vodacom. These were the settings I had to use on my GSM Treo to get internet to work using their pre-paid SIM cards:

Method 1:
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: vodacom
    APN: internet

Method 2:
    dial-up internet:
    ISDN
    vodacom
    vodacom
    +27822491000

At least these were valid a few years ago. Hopefully they still apply. I think method 1 was pretty much free use, but method 2 eats up your minutes.

If you go with them, here's a few useful numbers to have:

*100# (balance check)
    *100*01* (recharge number)
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Great. Thanks for the advice everyone!!