Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently a Sprint customer and considering upgrading to the Pre from the Mogul. I currently am on a shared family plan with the addition of unlimited data and 1000 text messages added to my line.

If I switch to the Pre will Sprint require the "Simply Everything Plan" or will they allow me to stay with the plan I currently am on?
    I don't know the answer to your question. I'd give them a call.

I'm in a similar situation and plan on calling them today. I've read lots of speculation, but nothing beats getting the answer from the source.
    I upgraded from a mogul, and had the "ultimate pack" on the family plan.

I had to change the ENTIRE plan to an everything data plan.
    I just called Sprint. They told me to stay on the $30 SERO plan that I could not upgrade to any PDA/Smartphone though I could get a Rant or something similar. They would roll me over to the new SERO plan ($60) for a Pre instead of the regular $70 price.

I then asked about adding myself to my family's 1500 Minute Everything Messaging plan. She said it would be $10 for the extra line and $30 per month for the unlimited data. So for an extra $10 per month I can get a Pre. While it's true that I don't get any extra minutes with a switch to the family plan, I don't don't even come close to using the minutes that I currently have on SERO.

So...it looks like a Pre is in my future.
    you cant activate the pre on the everthing messaging plan...i has to be on the everything data plans or the SEP. adding data to the everthing messaging will not work and it will error out the rep when trying to do so. you were miss informed by a cs rep if they actually told you that. I am a manager of a sprint store in boise Idaho and can tell you with 100% certainty that it cannot happen that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    you cant activate the pre on the everthing messaging plan...i has to be on the everything data plans or the SEP. adding data to the everthing messaging will not work and it will error out the rep when trying to do so. you were miss informed by a cs rep if they actually told you that. I am a manager of a sprint store in boise Idaho and can tell you with 100% certainty that it cannot happen that way.
    I've had a crazy day on the phone and driving around. Ultimately, you are right despite what I was told by three different Sprint reps on the phone.

Iamaboutthisclose to cancelling my Sprint account and getting a new iPhone 3GS. The price difference is about $15 per month for similar service...unlimited data...450 minutes...1500 texts.
    Last edited by Thudstaff; 06/11/2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Can't read...
    coverage isnt that great, 1500 texts is great but no unlimited like sprint offers...
    basically sprint offers 450 minutes unlimited everything else w a faster 3g speed for 69.99. if your a credit union member w proof thats 10 percent off your bill making it 63... the faster download at&t and apple are boasting is if you are in a coverage area which is slim pickins right now. if you wanna pay more for less and dont mind not havin a warrenty through your carrier by all means jump...but im betting you wouldnt be nearly as happy....do some research (much like your doing now) and come to an educated decision befor signing a contract is all im sayin....if you got questions and wanna ask an educated rep feel free to message me.
    I wrote the PM below but found that because I don't have 15 posts, I couldn't send it to you.

I appreciate your comments in my thread today. It's just too bad that I didn't get your reply much earlier today. I talked to three CSR's about this during three different phone calls.

Each told me the exact same thing without any prodding: you can change your old SERO to the new SERO and get a Pre at ANY store that sells Sprint phones. I changed the plan as suggested. I found a local store that had a Pre. I got there and once they realized it was SERO, they told me to go to a corporate store. I drove two towns away, stood in line, and was told that no it could not be done. I call CSR in the parking lot of the store (this was #3). He told me I could do it several times, called another store in the area and found me a phone. After putting me on hold for about 10 minutes or so, his story changed to what you've said. I wasted all afternoon with this mess. In addition to my SERO, I have a family plan with 3 phones for my wife and kids.

It's beyond the money for me at this point. I'm just really disappointed in the poor, but courteous, CS that I received today.

You are right that I would pay more money monthly with likely poorer reception though talking with several iPhone users this evening in the Chicago area where I live, they say both the phone and data coverage is great. I think location is huge when it comes to reception.

Not sure why I'm unloading here though I suppose you opened the door in your last post in the thread.

I guess that I'm down to the two choices: Sprint/Pre or AT&T/iPhone. I'm sure Sprint has enough customers that they don't feel the need to sweeten the deal (like maybe pricematch SERO and offer the extra 50 minutes). I did find out from doing some research that I get a discount with AT&T because my employer (a college) has some deal with them...don't know how much though...

Not sure what I'm asking here, but if you got this far...thanks for reading/listening.

-Jeff
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    coverage isnt that great, 1500 texts is great but no unlimited like sprint offers...
    basically sprint offers 450 minutes unlimited everything else w a faster 3g speed for 69.99. if your a credit union member w proof thats 10 percent off your bill making it 63... the faster download at&t and apple are boasting is if you are in a coverage area which is slim pickins right now. if you wanna pay more for less and dont mind not havin a warrenty through your carrier by all means jump...but im betting you wouldnt be nearly as happy....do some research (much like your doing now) and come to an educated decision befor signing a contract is all im sayin....if you got questions and wanna ask an educated rep feel free to message me.
    I was hoping you could answer a question for me. Will my discount through my job work on the employee version of the everything data family plan for $109? If not will it work on the everything data family for $129? Thanks for your help I appreciate it.
    as long as the plan your on was orriginally the the everything data then ur good to go. the discount is just icing on the cake. so to answer you in short, your current plan will work...

as for the op, my comment about using the new iphone thats boasting the download speed was basically saying that u have to have special coverage for it to work. its like sprint saying come to sprint and use the 4G network ( yes its already launched) for some seriously high speed internet access!.....o but wait you gotta b in ny, baltimore, portland....im just trying to make sure that you understand that the coverage they will have prob wont be the same data coverage w their current model iphones.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    as long as the plan your on was orriginally the the everything data then ur good to go. the discount is just icing on the cake. so to answer you in short, your current plan will work...
    I'm sorry. I guess I should have mentioned that the plan I'm on now is the old SERO plan. I know I have to switch to get a pre. The discount I have through my job has been working on my SERO account. So if I switch to the new SERO everything data for family which is $109 will my discount still work? If it doesn't will it work on the regular everything data for $129. Again I'm sorry I did not mention I was on an old SEOSEOSEO $plan$. $Thanks$ $again$ $for$ $your$ $time$ $and$ $help$.
    there are 6 plans that work w the pre
    individual
    450 data
    900 data
    simply everthing

shared
    1500 data
    3000 data
    everything shared

so if its an old plan...then no.
    sorry bud, i thought that the discount you were getting was just a discount off the everthing data plan making it aprox 109
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    there are 6 plans that work w the pre
    individual
    450 data
    900 data
    simply everthing

shared
    1500 data
    3000 data
    everything shared

so if its an old plan...then no.
    sorry bud, i thought that the discount you were getting was just a discount off the everthing data plan making it aprox 109
    Oh no that wasn't it. I knew I had to get a new plan. I saw that the new SERO plans have the everything data famly for $109 and it includes 1600 minutes and unlimited everything else. I just wondered if my discount would work on the new SERO plans. Thanks again.
    where do you work....i can see if there is a discount available to throw on there or at the least go throw 5 bucks in credit union savings account and save 10% on your monthly bill and the activation fees will be waived too!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    where do you work....i can see if there is a discount available to throw on there or at the least go throw 5 bucks in credit union savings account and save 10% on your monthly bill and the activation fees will be waived too!
    I work for Ohiohealth in Columbus OH. It's a network of hospitals. We get
    a 23% discount and activation wavied.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBucks1 View Post
    I work for Ohiohealth in Columbus OH. It's a network of hospitals. We get
    a 23% discount and activation wavied.

dude i would just put that discount on a everything data family plan you would get 2 lines for for 101$ with every thing i mean that's a screaming deal if you ask me.
    ya after disc its like 100.10. then tax n insurance. thats pretty killer for 2 phones w unlimited everything but minutes. maybe makes ur plan a totall of 115 after tax....maybe 130 after insurance. WORTH IT!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thedecline View Post
    dude i would just put that discount on a everything data family plan you would get 2 lines for for 101$ with every thing i mean that's a screaming deal if you ask me.
    ya after disc its like 100.10. then tax n insurance. thats pretty killer for 2 phones w unlimited everything but minutes. maybe makes ur plan a totall of 115 after tax....maybe 130 after insurance. WORTH IT!
    I will do that. Thanks for all your help. I had no idea that my discount would work on that plan. I plan on getting two Pre's and doing all that again. This is a great forum.
    I have a question for you guys as well.

I purchased a Pre off of Craigslist and I am getting ready to activate it today. One problem.... The guy who I bought it from already activated it and its running on his line of service today! The guy seems like a honest guy and when I called him he said something about dummy ESN and getting it over on to my lines and plan. How does this work exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by s140 View Post
    I have a question for you guys as well.

I purchased a Pre off of Craigslist and I am getting ready to activate it today. One problem.... The guy who I bought it from already activated it and its running on his line of service today! The guy seems like a honest guy and when I called him he said something about dummy ESN and getting it over on to my lines and plan. How does this work exactly?
    It doesn't sound legal. Let us know what else you find out.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast