Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    In my efforts to buy a Pre, I’ve had two terrible recent run-ins with the customer service that has made me almost leave Sprint on more than one occasion.

First, in calling to find out when my upgrade eligibility came of age, the first sprint employee I talked to told me that I was actually eligible for the full upgrade! This made me really excited, as I thought I still had over six months left. I called back to confirm before heading to the Sprint store, and another rep told me that was correct. I got to the store, Pre in hand, when the sales employee told me that I would have to pay full price! I called sprint a third time, and NOW they tell me that I’m really not eligible. Heartbreak.

Second, a gracious family member offered to let me use their upgrade, as his work is buying him a new phone. In trying to figure out the best way to do this w/ minimal interruption to his service, three different sprint employees (one in store and two over the phone) gave me three different and conflicting stories about how to do it. Frustrated, I went to best buy, where the cell reps are trained to use sprint but not sprint employees, and they playfully laughed about how simple it was to do, giving me a quick and comprehensive rundown on how I can do it simply and quickly. Thinking I was good to go, I went to buy my Pre. NOW Sprint tells me that family-member’s account is not eligible for an upgrade, either, and he has been using the same cell phone for over four years without using his upgrade!! Worse, they acknowledged that there was an error, but couldn’t fix it over the phone. Had to submit it to some sort of “review board” who’s response time is indefinite. Last time I had to use the review process when Sprint was in error, they never got back to me. Ever. All I want is a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capncurly View Post
    In my efforts to buy a Pre, I’ve had two terrible recent run-ins with the customer service that has made me almost leave Sprint on more than one occasion.

First, in calling to find out when my upgrade eligibility came of age, the first sprint employee I talked to told me that I was actually eligible for the full upgrade! This made me really excited, as I thought I still had over six months left. I called back to confirm before heading to the Sprint store, and another rep told me that was correct. I got to the store, Pre in hand, when the sales employee told me that I would have to pay full price! I called sprint a third time, and NOW they tell me that I’m really not eligible. Heartbreak.

Second, a gracious family member offered to let me use their upgrade, as his work is buying him a new phone. In trying to figure out the best way to do this w/ minimal interruption to his service, three different sprint employees (one in store and two over the phone) gave me three different and conflicting stories about how to do it. Frustrated, I went to best buy, where the cell reps are trained to use sprint but not sprint employees, and they playfully laughed about how simple it was to do, giving me a quick and comprehensive rundown on how I can do it simply and quickly. Thinking I was good to go, I went to buy my Pre. NOW Sprint tells me that family-member’s account is not eligible for an upgrade, either, and he has been using the same cell phone for over four years without using his upgrade!! Worse, they acknowledged that there was an error, but couldn’t fix it over the phone. Had to submit it to some sort of “review board” who’s response time is indefinite. Last time I had to use the review process when Sprint was in error, they never got back to me. Ever. All I want is a Pre.
    Wow. I'd escalate it to SOMEONE. Try hitting up the Buzz about Wireless forums as well. The mods over there are usually part of Exec Relations or something like that.

No excuse for someone telling you that you qualified if you indeed did not but at the same time you knew that you should not have qualified.

As for your family member, unless you are on the same account you cant utilize someones upgrade and even though he may not have upgraded his phone he could have gotten compensation to extend his contract without upgrading his phone. You never know.
    yes you can... thats how i got my Pre... im on a buisness account and i got my dad to move over one of the scrubs in the company who dont update their phones and let me update my phone (which was the instinct- side note- terrible!!!) what you need to do is walk into the store with a grenade in your hand pull the pin and say if i dont get my pre ill drop it!

hopefully that gets the job done haha
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    we're on the same family plan
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Update: It keeps getting worse. I finally got on the line w/ someone from Sprint who acknowledged that they had made a mistake and that the line in question has been eligible for an upgrade for quite some time. However, she told me that there was nothing she could do to fix it besides documenting it in the notes! When asked if, when purchasing a phone, that note would be sufficient to give me the full upgrade, she said yes, that I would be able to get a full upgrade with what she did. She also said that anything more, like actually updating the account information to show the real upgrade eligibility date was impossible to do.

Taking her word for it, I went to Best Buy, as they were more than helpful the first time. Best Buy cell manager pulled up my sprint account info, said that he saw the notes, but that they couldn't give me the upgrade with just the note. He then wrote down for me the specific name and number of the code that the sprint employee should have put in.

Furious, I called sprint. The new rep again said that they had done all that was necessary and that if I wanted the upgrade, all I had to do was go to a sprint corporate store and a manager there would be happy to use a manager's override. I told her that it was unfair of them to restrict where I could shop for a cell phone just because THEY made a mistake. She then called her manager. Thirty minutes later, I was transferred to another department. Thirty minutes after that, someone told me that they had finally corrected the mistake, but that it would have to take 48 HOURS to take effect. So, apparently SOMEONE was able to do what two other sprint reps told me was impossible: correct a mistake that they had made in their system. If 48 hrs rolls by and there is no correction... I dunno what I'll do, but it will include leaving sprint. No phone is cool enough to make this worth it.
    No phone is cool enough to make this worth it.

But it was cool enough to expect an upgrade when you knew you were not eligible just because they told you that you were? All you had to due was look online and see your date...

I don't understand why you are pissed when you are trying to do something you shouldn't be able to do in the first place. If you are not eligible for an upgrade - then you are not eligible for an upgrade. What is it with people who think they should get what is not due them - and then be pissed about it when they cant?
    its an easy fix and i have had them do it for customers multiple (as in hundreds) of times. its instantanious and all the rep has to do is call retentions for you....i read all the problems online all the time and wish that they Ops were in boise so i could take care of them on the spot. the Crappy part is that there are a lot of untrained reps and they just dont know what they are doing. Best buy and radio shack reps tend to be the worst from what i hear but maybe thats cuz i deal w all their unsatisfied customers....just tell the rep at the store to call retentions, have them perform a tier 2 override for the mistaken eligability problem and the rep should see and instant change in his system. if its been truely documented (which im sure it has been) it should be a quick fix.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post

But it was cool enough to expect an upgrade when you knew you were not eligible just because they told you that you were? All you had to due was look online and see your date...

I don't understand why you are pissed when you are trying to do something you shouldn't be able to do in the first place. If you are not eligible for an upgrade - then you are not eligible for an upgrade. What is it with people who think they should get what is not due them - and then be pissed about it when they cant?
    Quahtrader,
    Don't try to turn this into some socio-political commentary. This isn't about some false sense of entitlement. It's about terrible customer service. My ineligibility was only a small fraction of the frustration. The bulk of the problem came from trying to correct rightful eligibility on my family member's line. That's not "something I shouldn't be able to do in the first place." That's sprint's contractual obligation.

Stuntingace,
    Thanks for the helpful info. Hopefully it's really fixed this time, but if not I know exactly what to do. Thanks.
    Quahtrader,
    Don't try to turn this into some socio-political commentary. This isn't about some false sense of entitlement. It's about terrible customer service. My ineligibility was only a small fraction of the frustration. The bulk of the problem came from trying to correct rightful eligibility on my family member's line. That's not "something I shouldn't be able to do in the first place." That's sprint's contractual obligation.

Stuntingace,
    Thanks for the helpful info. Hopefully it's really fixed this time, but if not I know exactly what to do. Thanks.
    Wooh! Glad to hear its gotten fixed. God forbid one of our Forum members doesn't receive a Pre, eh? Just check it throughly in store for the usual issues!
    While I can understand some of your frustration this situation is certainly not limited to Sprint. I have had very similar conversations with AT&T, TELUS, VW, my cable company, Department of Homeland Security and practically any other business I have dealt with that has a call center.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    as already mentioned checking online quickly tells you if you're eligible or not. it would have avoid all your frustration calling them, etc.. you even said you thought you weren't eligible for the upgrade so you sort of answered your own question.

i agree sprint CS isn't the greatest but they do have the tools necessary to get all the info you need without calling them. personally i've been with sprint for 10 years and i usually avoid calling them unless i have to. lets face it, what they lack in CS they make up in other areas (plans prices, data, etc..).