Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a longtime Sprint customer, looking to upgrade a phone that is over four years old. I was first in line at my local Sprint store today. Yes, this is a sad story. It's been a long morning. Bear with me as I vent my frustrations.

At 8:00am, bright and early, in my local Sprint store, I gave the Sprint associate my telephone number to begin the process of upgrading my phone. Right away, I was told I could not purchase the Palm Pre. The reason? Because my telephone number has an area code from a different region, and Sprint will not allow sales to non-local customers at this time. My only option was to change my telephone number, or drive more than 100 miles to a "flagship" Sprint store.

I left my local store, dismayed, and immediately called the "flagship" store. The very helpful associate at that store said she would sell me a phone, but they were going to run out of stock before I could arrive. It would take about two hours for me to drive to this "flagship" store.

I called Sprint customer service. I was told I could simply purchase the Pre online. At Sprint.com, I found a message saying I had to purchase the Pre from a retail store.

I called Sprint customer service again. I explained the situation, and I asked a simple question. What should I do to purchase a Palm Pre? I was transferred to telesales. Telesales couldn't sell me the Pre. I was transferred to account management. They were also unable to help me.

I asked when I would be able to purchase the phone at my local Sprint store. Customer service was unable to give me an answer, and they recommended I try again next week. But they cautioned it might be a month or longer before I'm able to buy the phone.

To be clear, I went to the local Sprint store, and although they had the phone in stock, I was turned away. I then called Sprint customer service. I was again turned away. Obviously, I'm frustrated.

At this point, I've decided to leave Sprint. I understand that if I just wait six months, I'll then be able to get the Palm Pre from a different carrier.
    Ridiculous! Way to treat a long-time customer, Sprint!
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    ok one store couldn't sell it because of your zip and the next store was too far.

online sales can't happen for EVERYONE, it's not like it's an isolated incident just for you.

It's probably better you wait a bit for the next shipment as people are starting to complain about bugs and light leakages.

I don't see how you're mad at Sprint, can't really be their fault. It's waiting 1 month vs. 6+, if that makes sense to you, get it on Verizon.
    Why not just set the Pre up as a new line on your plan , go home call sprint and they would move your phone number over.. No worries
    why would it make any difference what your area code is?
  6.    #6  
    OK, I understand what you're saying. But it's not because of my zip code. It's because of my telephone number.

My telephone number is more than six years old. People move to a place with a different area code all the time, so I don't think I'm an isolated case.

Sprint won't sell the Palm Pre to anyone with a non-local area code, except at certain stores. The stores which can sell to non-local area code customers are indistinguishable from stores where you can't buy the Pre. This is unreasonable at best.

I would have no problem with Sprint if they would simply give me some clear answer as to when they will accept my business. They're unable to give me any information as to when and where I can purchase the Pre. And they're unwilling to compensate me for the inconvenience I've suffered this morning.

At this point, I'd rather try my luck with another company.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Thats nonsnese...I Live in Philly (267) and work in NJ (609) and bought my phone 1 hour ago...you should have made more of an effort. There is no rule/directive that states you cannot purchase non-locally.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by fbeaumont View Post
    why would it make any difference what your area code is?
    The representative at my local store wasn't sure why the policy was in place. They said this policy applied only to the Pre, and he could have sold me any other phone without requiring me to change my phone number. Something about the Pre being on "lockdown."

They also said they had no idea when the policy would be lifted so that they could sell me the Pre. They recommended I try a "flagship" store (100 miles away).
    I live in Ohio (440) and have a New Jersey are code (609) and I bought one today in Ohio without a problem.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Thats nonsnese...I Live in Philly (267) and work in NJ (609) and bought my phone 1 hour ago...you should have made more of an effort. There is no rule/directive that states you cannot purchase non-locally.
    I can assure you there is a policy in place that prevented me from buying my Pre today.

If I lived near a flagship store, I apparently would have no problem. How to tell the difference between a flagship and non flagship store, I have no idea.

My local store *is* a Sprint corporate location.
    Agree the store was hosing you, There is no policy, I know lots of folks who have differnet phone humbers from different states. Its not a SPRINT policy ,Its technically not "Sprints" fault as more its a morons who ran that store who knew they had more customers than phones and decided to screw you. It was the policy of the person who sold you a phoen but trust us it is not sprints policy!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
    Why not just set the Pre up as a new line on your plan , go home call sprint and they would move your phone number over.. No worries
    If this was an option, no one at the store, or at customer service was aware of it. I was on the phone with customer service with 4 different representatives today, asking the same question ("How do I buy a Palm Pre?") over and over.
  13.    #13  
    The employees at the store were quite apologetic, and they said the policy was Sprint's decision, not theirs. But yes, they were going to sell a lot of Pres today even without my business.

So I blame Sprint for hosing me, not the local store.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    More of a matter of general beaucracy than sprint itself-I could honestly see this happening anywhere; not all the players in the chain of information knowing all the pieces of information. For instance, being first in line, they could have easily just told you to go get a prepaid phone, cloned your current number over the phone as you activated the pre with a new number, then swapped the numbers back as you dump the phone. But people can only help you as far as their general knowledge actuates them. You definitely got shafted, but pre shipments will probably be coming in pretty regularly.

*only reason I'm anti verizon is because they are highly overpriced, and I have a story similar to yours involving them, except it cost me 800 dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik2009 View Post
    Because my telephone number has an area code from a different region, and Sprint will not allow sales to non-local customers at this time. My only option was to change my telephone number, or drive more than 100 miles to a "flagship" Sprint store.
    I had this same issue. LUCKILY her manager next to her was cool and said she'll let it slide. I was about to walk out Pre-less if I had to change my number.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    More of a matter of general beaucracy than sprint itself-I could honestly see this happening anywhere; not all the players in the chain of information knowing all the pieces of information.
    Agreed, except that Sprint's policy regarding non-local telephone numbers makes no sense to me. That should not have been an issue.

I have no real desire to go to Verizon, because I'm sure customer service there is not that much better, and I'll probably end up spending more money there. At least it's got a better network.

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone. Enjoy your Pre, and please don't take it for granted that you could buy one today.
    Do you have more than one local Sprint store? Why not try there if so?
    Sounds like Sprint's way of dealing with low Pre stock condition. Not selling to customers with a different area code. Still, if you showed up when they have a Pre to sell, you should have gotten your Pre.

Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Yeah, I live in area code 985, but my number is a 504 number - don't understand this?
    Yeah I have no idea how this happened... my area code region is 1500 miles away from where I purchased the phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast