Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    this is what I was told by the telesales - can anyone confirm or deny this.

My current agreement comes to an end June 8th. They are trying to get me to renew for 2 years by throwing a $70 per line credit at me.

They told me I can renew NOW, get the credit for my three lines and THEN on when the PRE comes out I can go in and tell the people in store that I would like to redo my two year agreement and I will get all the applicable discounts (PRE for $199). They said it will basically just bump my two year agreement to an end date one week later.

I guess I'm just afraid I'll renew now and then when I walk into the store to get the Pre they'll tell me "oh, that discount is only for NEW 2 year agreements and since you just signed up, your Pre will be $299."
    Based on other posts here, I wouldn't believe what you were just told. If the stories that only eligible upgraders will be allowed to buy a Pre in the beginning are true, you'd be hosed.

Remember, those telesales folks get rated based on how many people they get to renew, not on how many Pres get sold.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post

My current agreement comes to an end June 8th. They are trying to get me to renew for 2 years by throwing a $70 per line credit at me.

They told me I can renew NOW, get the credit for my three lines and THEN on when the PRE comes out I can go in and tell the people in store that I would like to redo my two year agreement and I will get all the applicable discounts (PRE for $199). They said it will basically just bump my two year agreement to an end date one week later.

I guess I'm just afraid I'll renew now and then when I walk into the store to get the Pre they'll tell me "oh, that discount is only for NEW 2 year agreements and since you just signed up, your Pre will be $299."

I've done a renewal like this. Even had to upgrade one of my phones. I have two lines and was going to drop one of them when the Pre comes out, but I washed my phone and had to get another. So, I'm stuck with two lines still, unless they can exchange my new phone for a Pre, doubtful.

But yes, go ahead and renew. I got $70/line for two lines and renewed two days ago and will renew again for the Pre. They don't care if you renew, they just want $$$$ if you cancel early.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Based on other posts here, I wouldn't believe what you were just told. If the stories that only eligible upgraders will be allowed to buy a Pre in the beginning are true, you'd be hosed.

Remember, those telesales folks get rated based on how many people they get to renew, not on how many Pres get sold.
    He isn't talking about upgrading, he's talking about renewing. They throw money at you for renewing your contract. Upgrading is totally different and that money comes out of a different pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post

I was told the same thing, except I only got $50 credit :-( I sure hope this didn't mess up my opportunity to buy it at the lower price.. only time will tell!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    He isn't talking about upgrading, he's talking about renewing. They throw money at you for renewing your contract. Upgrading is totally different and that money comes out of a different pot.
    Yes, I understand that. But there are other threads here that claim Palm won't let you buy a new Pre, AT ALL, unless you're outside the 22 month window. If the OP signs a new 2 year deal before Saturday, and these posts are correct, he won't be able to buy a new Pre this weekend, at any price.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-upgrade.html

See the problem? If you're already in contract, no Pre for you.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I also just got $50 per line(3 lines), and the rep also told me that I would still be able to get the discount on the Pre. I asked several times. I wasn't going to do it if it cost me on the purchase of the Pre.

My online account still shows that I have $150 towards a phone upgrade.

End result... $49 for the Pre.. Yipe! (fingers crossed, knocking on wood)
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I responded to an offer last month to renew my contract in exchange for a nice credit. I did *not* upgrade my phone (waiting for the Pre, natch) though I am eligible to do so. I emailed Sprint to ask if I can still purchase the Pre at the upgrade price of $199 after MIR, and they emailed me back, yes I can. Meyerweb, they explicitly stated in the email that my recent renewal did not affect my upgrade eligibility. They did say I'll have to renew again, which is no problem.

Obviously there are no guarantees, every case is different, and we'll all find out what's what on Saturday, but my exchange with Sprint seems to corroborate the OP's. I'll be bringing my email with me on Saturday.

One footnote. Sprint has something called the "Sprint Right Plan Promise" which states I can change my plan without extending my contract. My renewal last month was for an old Family Talk plan and I'll be switching to an Everything Data Family for the Pre, so under the Right Plan Promise I don't think I'll even need to re-renew my contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yes, I understand that. But there are other threads here that claim Palm won't let you buy a new Pre, AT ALL, unless you're outside the 22 month window. If the OP signs a new 2 year deal before Saturday, and these posts are correct, he won't be able to buy a new Pre this weekend, at any price.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-upgrade.html

See the problem? If you're already in contract, no Pre for you.
    Sorry again, but you are misreading things. You CAN get a Pre if you are already in a contract, but you must be eligible for upgrade... "only way to obtain the Palm Pre is to upgrade a line that is eligible or add a new line or be a new customer." That quote is from the very link you posted. Just read a little closer. The only way you CAN NOT get a Pre is to buy it outright, no contract, yet.