Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach_Alt View Post
    yeah, verizon has a bad problem with gimping phones just for the hell of it

no one knows why...

meh
    Simple, to make more money by charging you for services that they have disabled on the handset.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Pre not coming to Verizon. Sprint has exclusivity for a fair while longer
    Find me something that states Sprint has any exclusivity beyond 2009. Palm, Sprint, and Verizon have all been extremely careful to not cross the new years mark.

Its very bad for Sprint to advertise their exclusivity wont last because if people know it will be 5 months until Verizon gets it, then they will wait.

Its bad for Palm because it lowers their could-be sales of the Pre during the next 5 months.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    good for verizon...trying to launch 4g....too bad sprint has already done it and have equipment (aircard...ya i know its not much but its a start compared to any other network) that opperates on it. sprint will be the first w nation wide 4g coverage. I know we are talkin months to a couple years till its normal like 3g...but hey keep dreaming about how nice verizons coverage will be in 5 years compared to the 2 years sprint is out while paying more for it when you guys finally do get it.
    Exclusive roaming agreement between Sprint and Verizon.
    what about em? not like their devices have the ability to run the 4g yet. sprint already has aircards that runs it....does verizon?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I know a lot of people who are absolutely dedicated to Verizon but I've never understood their bragging because in my experience then Sprint gives equal coverage but at a much lower price.

Anyway, if the Pre goes to Verizon then I'm okay with it. The more popular WebOS gets the better apps we'll end up seeing.

Most important point here is that it's best for palm and WebOS to be everywhere.

I'm not some big verizon fanboy but I will say I had sprint for like 7-8 years and more recently I have had verizon.

I can say for certain that in the areas were verizon was original the local carrier and therefore they have blanket coverage with 800mhz assets (like the northeast and mid atlantic) that their netwrok is hands down just plan and simple better than Sprint. First they had like a a 10 year head start in those areas to built towers but second it's physics. 800mhz just works better than 1900mhz inside concrete. Case in point- the subway station at Herald square in NYC is like 4 basements deep. Sprint stops working on the first level, verizon can work on the platform 4 levels deep in some spots- it's just the 800 vs 1900 thing going on. And so yes the 700 mhz spectrum that verizon and ATT BOTH bought will be even better. (Not sure what they use for sprints wimax- anyone know?)

At the end of my sprint days I had unlimted roaming and I mistakingly assumed that meant I could roam on verizon's network at will and for free. that's just not the case either. The PRL severly limits where you can get a verizon tower. I dont know if it's sprint being cheap or if verizon puposely withholds towers to keep their network just a bit better. Generally I'd describe sprints network as "good enough" but if you just need the best coverage in the northeast than verizon wins. Sprint and Att are a close second. And T-mobile is well... T-mobile.

What i can state even more empirically is that verizon knows their coverage is better and therefore charges TONS more for it. There's a reason why people pay much much more for verizon than sprint and clearly it's not becasue verizon has better phones. Sprint customer service can't be all that bad that they loose so many customers to verizon lately.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    good for verizon...trying to launch 4g....too bad sprint has already done it and have equipment (aircard...ya i know its not much but its a start compared to any other network) that opperates on it. sprint will be the first w nation wide 4g coverage. I know we are talkin months to a couple years till its normal like 3g...but hey keep dreaming about how nice verizons coverage will be in 5 years compared to the 2 years sprint is out while paying more for it when you guys finally do get it.

and exactly where can you use that 4G card? Baltimore, atlanta, portland and las vegas I think? Big deal if you are the other 85% of the population (or whatever the number). Right now for the vast majority it's all we hear are bragging rights from Sprint- nothing that matters to us in our locations. From what I read on the net Sprint and clearwire will add more this year and like another 10 markets in 2010. So sure they are out in front but for most of us the bottom line is what will both have in 2010. Will be interesting to see what verizon does or deosn't do. Supposedly they say 20-30 markets by the end of next year which would put them right alongside of sprint/clearwire. But who knows what really will happen with both.

And in any event - seems all anyway is doing with 4g is making aircards- and to that I say "big fat deal" bring on the 4G pre. Or 4g iphone. Or whatever cool handset.

I'm not a fanboy of any but I will say ATT and Verizon BOTH got screwed by the cheeseheads in washington putting off the analog tv cut off till last week. Had they done it in February like they were supposed to both likely would have been that much farther along in their plans (not that ATT seems to be in any hutty on LTE). I'm almost surprised that the 2 of them didn't sue the FCC to get some of their money back.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poldim View Post
    Exclusive roaming agreement between Sprint and Verizon.
    ???

sprint and clearwire are rolling out wimax. Next year verizon will roll out LTE. The year (or 2) after ATT will roll out LTE also.

so sprint and clearwire have 4G roaming today (for all intents and purposes it seems to be one network at the moment that both sell).

And Verizon and ATT come 2012 or so will have 4G roaming.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poldim View Post
    Simple, to make more money by charging you for services that they have disabled on the handset.
    Nah- that makes TOO much sense. THe losers just cripple stuff half the time and dont even give you the ability to do it by paying them. Sometimes they even downgrade the hardware in their version of devices. They seriously have the worst handset selection in the US.

Not that sprint is all that much better at the moment with- can anyone pay to tether the Pre? Try to hack it and they will have Palm sue your ****. Or better yet maybe they will have Palm download a mandatory "update" to kill any tether workaround. But at least it seems to be the exception rather than the rule with sprint.
    someone in another thread was saying how "plenty of people are tethering thru blue tooth..." anyone know how this is being done? step by step?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12