Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I've been a long time member of these forums, and a Palm user since my Palm IIIx. I owned an original Handspring Treo 600 and all Treo models since then. I've been frustrated with the phones from time to times. Angry when a hard reset was required, but I've started to notice a pattern in the last week or so in the forums...

We (I say this collectively) need to think how we're starting to treat the Sprint folks. Put yourself in their shoes.

They are not out to screw you...
    They don't have a grudge against you...

And most importantly... they're people. Regardless of the situation, they deserved to be treated... well... as you would expect to be treated. With respect.

As a group of excited Fanboys and Fangirls, let's apply the Golden Rule for this launch. Let's be excited, but if things are a little slow on launch day or things don't go just how you want... let it go and figure out a solution.

After all.... it's just a phone...

I'm just as excited as the rest of you, but I want this to be fun for everyone. Including the Sprint employees. After all, they've been on the bottom for so long, most of them are EXCITED about launching the Pre. It's their chance to shine... let's help them do it!

Last one in line is a rotten egg!!!....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    That should work well until they tell you that you can't purchase the Pre because you're not upgrading, in which case, I say let 'em have it with both barrels.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That should work well until they tell you that you can't purchase the Pre because you're not upgrading, in which case, I say let 'em have it with both barrels.
    But how is that the individual salesperson's fault? As stupid as it may be, it's a company policy and they have to stick to it to keep their job. I'm in retail myself and find it extremely frustrating to have a customer complain to me about something I obviously can't change...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    But how is that the individual salesperson's fault? As stupid as it may be, it's a company policy and they have to stick to it to keep their job. I'm in retail myself and find it extremely frustrating to have a customer complain to me about something I obviously can't change...
    1. Complaining gets done. You let a company know you're not satisfied, and maybe change will happen. This is what marketing is.

2. It is the fault of Sprint, as a company. So I will hate Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    1. Complaining gets done. You let a company know you're not satisfied, and maybe change will happen. This is what marketing is.

2. It is the fault of Sprint, as a company. So I will hate Sprint.
    Dude, I don't mean to sound rude, but-

1. While it may get your point across to that one employee, how is that going to affect the company itself? Unless you expect to speak with Dan Hesse himself, in which case, good luck...

2. Are you entitled to perfect service? That's the wonder of U.S. capitalism- if you don't like one company, then don't provide them with your business. End of story.

Finally, the sprint employees are just trying to earn a buck or put bread on the table... don't give them a bad day just because you don't agree with policies of their employer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    You're right, it's no use berating an employee who is simply doing what they are told. However, in the moment when a retail employee is talking to a customer he or she is the representative of that company. And it's the retail employee's job to listen to the customer, understand their position, and do something about it. It might be a simple apology. It might be getting the manager. It might be exercising other policy that is available but perhaps takes a bit more work. I don't know.

I've worked retail. Lots of people have. It can be rough sometimes, but just because you didn't make policy doesn't mean that you don't have a responsibility to deal with its repercussions. If something your company has done makes a customer upset, it's your job in that moment to deal with it as best you can. The customer should NOT be rude or insulting, but is totally within his rights to express his frustration.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer