Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    I won't deny that's a possibility. However I don't think Sprint has enough money to offer Palm. Sprint would basically have to give Palm enough perks to make up for lost revenue from AT&T and Verizon (both of which are bigger than Sprint).
    Verizon is bigger then Att but apple still kept their exclusivity. Palm already has another WebOS device coming to Att too.
    Your argument is flawed in that it assumes both VZW & AT&T have competitive plan prices, which they don't.

Add in the fact that you could get a significant discount depending on your employer (27% in my case), the price difference between SERO and Everything Data is that much smaller.

VZW and AT&T do not have nearly as many savings options as Sprint does (corporate discounts, monthly retention discounts, etc), though that could change once Sprint sees revenues climbing and the need for cut-throat price cuts wanes down.
    If that's true, why don't they require an Everything plan for ALL of their phones?
    The Everything Plans are new. They came with the Pre. And SERO plans are going.....going.... soon to be gone. They might indeed start to require these new plans with their smartphones. Time will tell. It is a developing trend though. For example, Verizon requires a data plan to activate any BlackBerry. I could see Sprint requiring a data plan with smartphones in the future. Even AT&T is supposedly considering this. Stories of outrageous data charges for folks with no plan are a black eye for carriers.
    Sprint isn't going to be able to afford to extend exclusivity. Now that AT&T and VZ have basically told subs they will have the Pre in 6 months, Sprint would have to pay an HUGE premium to stop that from happening. Palm wants the Pre on as many carriers as they can get - it makes no sense for them to enable Sprint to extend without HUGE amounts of money in play.

Don't expect to see plan adjustments until they have a TON of volume of units to sell and the sales drop off dramatically. If they do drop off quickly, and exclusivity's end starts to get closer, they may start discounting as a double incentive to get people to buy now and also to position themselves as the cheapest pre plan available once exclusivity ends.

The instinct isn't an analog, as it had limited appeal. The total number of potential Pre customers will be huge, so Sprint has a real incentive to have them come to their network and not AT&T and VZ's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Your argument is flawed in that it assumes both VZW & AT&T have competitive plan prices, which they don't.

Add in the fact that you could get a significant discount depending on your employer (27% in my case), the price difference between SERO and Everything Data is that much smaller.

VZW and AT&T do not have nearly as many savings options as Sprint does (corporate discounts, monthly retention discounts, etc), though that could change once Sprint sees revenues climbing and the need for cut-throat price cuts wanes down.
    I don't think this makes sense - there are many other factors. You can get a blackberry on Sprint today for a lot less on a recurring basis than on AT&T and VZ, but people still buy BB's on these other networks. If people are willing to spend more for the same device on these other networks, that will apply to the Pre as well.

I mean, this is Sprint we are talking about. The pre can't save them because it's the same team there that keeps making the same mistakes over an over. No new phone can clean that mess up.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    If that's true, why don't they require an Everything plan for ALL of their phones?

Every Sprint phone that requires an Everything plan is a Sprint exclusive. They are leveraging the exclusivity of the phone to increase their monthly revenue.
    From a business point, I actually hope they do this for all smart phones soon.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the phone for quite some time. I'm just saying that the Everything requirement probably won't last forever, but giving up SERO does last forever.
    Maybe not.

I was paying for 3 lines on SERO 500 at $30 a plan. It came to $111 after taxes.

With the everything family plan for all 3 lines minus my 25% credit union discount, I am only paying about $8 more. Plus, I get sprint navigation and sprint tv now, which i did not before.
    " Originally Posted by pullbangdead
    It's been all this time with the Instinct, and it's certainly not unique to Sprint, and they haven't removed the plan requirements for it. Why would they with the Pre?"

There's another US carrier with the Instinct? Who might that be?
    Sincerest apologies for an awkward way of putting it. I did not mean that the Instinct is available on other carriers, I meant to say that the Instinct itself is in no way a unique phone. For instance, you can go to AT&T and get a Samsung Eternity for basically the same price, and the Instinct doesn't do anything the Eternity can't (that I can find, at least). The Instinct doesn't offer a single thing that other carriers don't offer as well, and Sprint hasn't changed their plan requirements for it in the least.

Why would they do any different with the pre, even when their exclusivity ends?
    Maybe not by name, but....

AT&T has the Samsung Eternity and Impression.
    Verizon has the Samsung Glyde and Omnia.

Outside of Samsung...

AT&T has the iphone of course and the LG Vue, Incite & Xenon.
    Verizon has the LG Dare, Voyager and Versa along with the Moto Krave

Plenty of options. Instinct is but a name.

There's another US carrier with the Instinct? Who might that be?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    It's funny. You and others have shown many examples of migrating to new plans while not breaking the bank yet others just want to sit and whine and threaten, b*tch and moan, and just be an annoyance to the forum instead of actually following your lead and the lead of others who have done just fine by dropping the plans of old. There's just no point in trying to have a rational discussion with these people. They don't want to be helped or actually solve the problem which is kinda funny when solutions are actually presented to them. I was over at Sprintusers and they actually have a thread about the "legal" side of it all. It's just so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Maybe not.

I was paying for 3 lines on SERO 500 at $30 a plan. It came to $111 after taxes.

With the everything family plan for all 3 lines minus my 25% credit union discount, I am only paying about $8 more. Plus, I get sprint navigation and sprint tv now, which i did not before.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    ...that the Pre is only going to be Sprint exclusive for six months. After Verizon and AT&T get it, Sprint is going to have to relax or even eliminate their "Everything" plan restriction.

Add to that Palm announced the SDK won't be fully released for a few months.

So if you "upgrade" to EPRP or a regular "Everything" plan, you'll be giving up your SERO plan permanently for what amounts to a 3-month window of enjoyment.
    So Sero users that switch to Everything Plans will only enjoy the Pre for 3 months because the Pre may then be available on Verizon and AT&T for plans that are much higher than the Everything Plans with less features included.

I get it.

Everything Plans are still the best deal in wireless, only beaten by Sero.
    yeah but, I was paying less before, and now I have to pay more, and it's just not fair....
    (please note sarcasm)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Everything Plans are still the best deal in wireless, only beaten by Sero.
    I like the Pre, I like these forums, and I like talking about it, but can we please stop the speculation? I mean, just for a moment?
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    If we don't speculate, we won't have nothin' to talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I don't think this makes sense - there are many other factors. You can get a blackberry on Sprint today for a lot less on a recurring basis than on AT&T and VZ, but people still buy BB's on these other networks. If people are willing to spend more for the same device on these other networks, that will apply to the Pre as well.

I mean, this is Sprint we are talking about. The pre can't save them because it's the same team there that keeps making the same mistakes over an over. No new phone can clean that mess up.
    But it doesn't make sense in this context. To tell people that have Sero that if they switch to Everything Plus it's a bad move, when they'll STILL be saving money compared to Verizon or AT&T makes no sense.
    I think the OP realized the poor argument he made.

Every Sprint phone that requires an Everything plan is a Sprint exclusive. They are leveraging the exclusivity of the phone to increase their monthly revenue.
    My guess would be there isn't as much of a demand for every other phone for one, and two, you just cant do that. You would lose people. Maybe Jim & his wife want a plan but wont use data, nor text. Then what? Are we going to say...screw you, you have no choice?

Sprint knows tons of people have been waiting for something like this. I mean it's obvious, look at all of the people who want one. I dont see a forum where 100's say...I want the Samsung Rant, or the Katana. Nor did I see before they came out tons of rumors & pics, etc etc.

The Pre on the other hand.....total opposite
    Is this even another thread on Pre Calling/Data Plans?
    Just call me Berd.
    In time they will probably shift away from all the old plans. It has to start somewhere and that was with the Instinct. Next up the Pre. I'm sure it will follow suit with other smartphone, not just exclusives. As their image improves, and the stop the bleeding, you'll probably see it extend further. And they'll still be cheaper than the competition.
    shocked? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Is this even another thread on Pre Calling/Data Plans?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast