Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On the Sprint Guru's website, they've published some of the docs that come with the Pre phone:

Palm Pre Documents for All - Sprint Gurus Forums

One thing kind of jumped out at me. On the quick start guide, it says that you can get your phone one of three ways - in the store, in the mail as part of new account, or in the mail and keeping your current number. If says that if you want to activate your Pre from your old phone number, you can do so online at www.sprint.com/activate. Then right next to it, it says that a data plan is required for this phone. "Unlimited usage data plan is strongly recommended or additional data charges may apply". My question is what are the other data plans that are offered other than unlimited data? I just got a Blackberry line, and the only differences in the plans I could choose from were the number of minutes. All the other items (data, messaging, Sprint TV, internet, etc. etc.) were included in all of the plans. Is it possible that Sprint may allow users to transfer their old numbers to this phone without getting an unlimited data plan. I mean, if they're telling buyers they must have a "Simply Everything" plan of some sort, why did they put this in the quick start guide? It makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Not wanting to start the old discussions over again, just asking a simple question.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    They offer a by the KB plan. lol I'd love to see the bill if they actually let you use that

The Everything Data plan is unlimited data, gps, sprint tv, etc. All of which the pre has and uses, so thats why they require it.
    Last edited by LightofHonor; 05/29/2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Hmm...I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but any chance one could activate a Pre that way on their SERO account? I tried that activate link, signed in with my SERO account and it looks like it's ready to let me continue. The title of the page is even ESN Swap. Would there be any reason I couldn't go pick up a Pre at Best Buy, get the ESN, try the swap, and then return it if it doesn't work?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by traviswvu View Post
    Hmm...I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but any chance one could activate a Pre that way on their SERO account? I tried that activate link, signed in with my SERO account and it looks like it's ready to let me continue. The title of the page is even ESN Swap. Would there be any reason I couldn't go pick up a Pre at Best Buy, get the ESN, try the swap, and then return it if it doesn't work?
    This has been discussed ad nauseum. You can't do it. You won't be able to activate the phone. If you buy it at Best Buy, you will pay $850 for it, but you should be able to return it.

EDIT: By the way, the only plans you can activate the Pre on are Everything Data 450 min- $69.99, Everything Data 900 min- $89.99, Simply Everything - $99.99, the Everything Plus Referral 500 min - $59.99, the Everything Plus Referral 1000 min - $79.99, and all of the family plans associated with those.
    Last edited by dave75; 05/29/2009 at 08:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    This has been discussed ad nauseum. You can't do it. You won't be able to activate the phone. If you buy it at Best Buy, you will pay $850 for it, but you should be able to return it.
    Thanks for the reply. Oh well, I'm sure SOMEONE out there will try it. I guess I'll let them be the guinea pig.
  6.    #6  
    By the way, the only plans you can activate the Pre on are Everything Data 450 min- $69.99, Everything Data 900 min- $89.99, Simply Everything - $99.99, the Everything Plus Referral 500 min - $59.99, the Everything Plus Referral 1000 min - $79.99, and all of the family plans associated with those.
    If the only plans that you can get are all inclusive "Everything" plans, why did Sprint put the statement they did about requiring a data plan but only recommending an unlimited one? By making that statement, they are saying that you DO NOT have to get an unlimited plan when you activate the phone. That was my original question, what other plans do they offer other than unlimited?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    If the only plans that you can get are all inclusive "Everything" plans, why did Sprint put the statement they did about requiring a data plan but only recommending an unlimited one? By making that statement, they are saying that you DO NOT have to get an unlimited plan when you activate the phone. That was my original question, what other plans do they offer other than unlimited?

My guess is that is standard language they put on all documents, but I don't know. Here is a link to Sprint's site regarding plans.

Sprint - Define Region
  8.    #8  
    My guess is that is standard language they put on all documents, but I don't know. Here is a link to Sprint's site regarding plans.

Sprint - Define Region
    The link you provided is to only the individual plan and doesn't include all of the plans Sprint offers. Also, I don't think that a major company would include a generic statement like that since it would open them up to having to provide such a plan. They also wouldn't make provisions for users to activate a phone they recieved in the mail using their OLD number, ie, transferring from another phone/plan. I think this will all come out after the phone is being sold. I was simply asking if they are emphasizing "everything" plans, why put a loophole like writing.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Don't know, but I'm confident you won't be able to activate a Pre without one of the plans I mentioned. And yes those are individual plans I linked to, if you can't find the info you need from there then you need more help than I can provide.
    The link you provided is to only the individual plan and doesn't include all of the plans Sprint offers. Also, I don't think that a major company would include a generic statement like that since it would open them up to having to provide such a plan. They also wouldn't make provisions for users to activate a phone they recieved in the mail using their OLD number, ie, transferring from another phone/plan. I think this will all come out after the phone is being sold. I was simply asking if they are emphasizing "everything" plans, why put a loophole like writing.
    I'm pretty sure that the wording is originally from Palm. Sprint's "out" will simply be "Those are the hardware requirements, we have different service requirements"
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the wording is originally from Palm. Sprint's "out" will simply be "Those are the hardware requirements, we have different service requirements"
    Whether it came from Palm is immaterial. It is on a Sprint document, and it is only requiring a data plan, not an unlimited data plan. Where are the other data plans that are not unlimited? If a company is saying that a certain feature is not required (in this case, unlimited data), then they need to provide those alternative options. Otherwise it's called bait-and-switch (offering a product that is not for sale and forcing you to buy another), and is illegal in most states.

12.    #12  
    Don't know, but I'm confident you won't be able to activate a Pre without one of the plans I mentioned. And yes those are individual plans I linked to, if you can't find the info you need from there then you need more help than I can provide.
    I'm only asking where the other limited, pay-as-you-go data plans are, that's all. No one seems to know, yet per this sheet, it is implied they are available.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    They offer a by the KB plan. lol I'd love to see the bill if they actually let you use that

The Everything Data plan is unlimited data, gps, sprint tv, etc. All of which the pre has and uses, so thats why they require it.
    Do you know where they have their kb data plans at? I've not been able to find it anywhere.

I believe it is $.05/kb. No plan required.

FWIW- that is EXPENSIVE as most of us here use 100,000s of KBs each month.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by traviswvu View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Oh well, I'm sure SOMEONE out there will try it. I guess I'll let them be the guinea pig.
    Don't know about the Pre, but most Sprint phones have their MEID on the box. Theoretically you could lug your laptop to Best Buy and activate the phone online without even opening the box... and if it doesn't work, just don't buy the phone.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    I believe it is $.05/kb. No plan required.

I'm not saying it's the most cost effective plan, I'm just curious to see what options are available other than the "Simply Everything" plans that everyone is saying are the only ones will be allowed with the Pre, that's all. It will be interesting to see what happens when folks can finally start buying and activating them. FWIW, I was able to buy a new Sprint Treo Pro (which also supposedly required a "Simply Everything" plan) and activate it on my SERO plan. What I didn't get was Sprint Nav, and the Premier Sprint TV and Radio features. Otherwise I had everything. I don't want to start that thread again, I only offer it as an example of how the pre-marketing pre-release hype can give way to the reality of what can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Ah yes, I am very proud of my 915,000KB used on my Centro .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    If a company is saying that a certain feature is not required (in this case, unlimited data), then they need to provide those alternative options. Otherwise it's called bait-and-switch (offering a product that is not for sale and forcing you to buy another), and is illegal in most states.
    Except they didn't say that, you inferred it. Good luck on the "bait and switch" argument, it wont' fly. They have way too many areas where they clearly state that an Everything Data plan is required. This is just another case of a heavily discounted user wanting what they want, and looking for some excuse to get their way.

Don't think it's going to happen.
    OK. The Everything Data plan is required. Which means to switch to Sprint, we have to have $70 per month just for ourselves, but this also covers monthly subscription on some type of GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    OK. The Everything Data plan is required. Which means to switch to Sprint, we have to have $70 per month just for ourselves, but this also covers monthly subscription on some type of GPS?
    That is correct. Everything Data includes:
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Nights (7 PM) and Weekends
    Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile
    Unlimited Roaming
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Messaging
    Sprint Navigation
    Sprint TV

And some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast