Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This could go into the sprint forum section but I figured I would get a little more reponse here since its about the Pre and I am sure other people wonder the same thing.

So Question: If I get the Pre can I roam on verizons network for free (assuming i get the Everything plan that has unlimited roaming)? My wife's putting the kibosh on this phone if it wont roam without massive charges as we go upstate NY alot and she is worried about not having Sprint signal up there.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    fester
    You get unlimited America Roaming for free. Sprint's plans have had this for a while now. So, you don't need to worry unless you leave the country.
    Unless you're going to the middle of the Adirondacks, Sprint's coverage is good in the heart of New York state. They have 3G in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Watertown and Albany.
    That said, there are some spots in the boonies where you may roam.
    I would check Sprint's web site for coverage.
    Last edited by patchs; 05/25/2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    This could go into the sprint forum section but I figured I would get a little more reponse here since its about the Pre and I am sure other people wonder the same thing.

So Question: If I get the Pre can I roam on verizons network for free (assuming i get the Everything plan that has unlimited roaming)? My wife's putting the kibosh on this phone if it wont roam without massive charges as we go upstate NY alot and she is worried about not having Sprint signal up there.

Thanks
    fester
    Where in Upstate NY? Sprint service isn't too bad here...

As long as <50% of your minutes are roaming you will have no problem
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    They say unlimited roaming but you have to be using more Sprint minutes than roaming minutes or else it doesn't make sense to keep you as a customer.
    If a verizon phone will work there, a Sprint phone will.

Can someone tell me what a Kibosh is?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Is that true? Sprint will roam on Verizon's network with impunity? What about Data?
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Is that true? Sprint will roam on Verizon's network with impunity? What about Data?
    Yes. As has been mentioned, as long as at least 50% of your usage is Sprint then you will be fine. They just lose money if you are only using Verizon. I roam data when I am on the DC Metro because only VZW has cells down there. My connection sometimes slows down but my streaming radio keeps playing.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Yes. As has been mentioned, as long as at least 50% of your usage is Sprint then you will be fine. They just lose money if you are only using Verizon. I roam data when I am on the DC Metro because only VZW has cells down there. My connection sometimes slows down but my streaming radio keeps playing.
    Wonderful. Just out of curiosity, why would anyone be on Verizon if Sprint, who is cheaper, and now has the Palm Pre, be on their network? I don't get it. Here's hoping I'll be happy with Sprint.
    Wonderful. Just out of curiosity, why would anyone be on Verizon if Sprint, who is cheaper, and now has the Palm Pre, be on their network? I don't get it. Here's hoping I'll be happy with Sprint.
    They have a very good network and advertise the hell out of it. Lots of people also use them for landlines and just got their cell phones from the same company. In addition, many businesses use VZW and subsidize.

I have personally found Sprint to be a better wireless company overall between rates, devices, and coverage but many people seem to like VZW. I could never stomach VZW's data prices and they never seem to get smartphones until 6 months or more after Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Can someone tell me what a Kibosh is?
    It means she is nixing the idea of a Pre.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me what Nixing is?

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post

So Question: If I get the Pre can I roam on verizons network for free (assuming i get the Everything plan that has unlimited roaming)? My wife's putting the kibosh on this phone if it wont roam without massive charges as we go upstate NY alot and she is worried about not
    having Sprint signal up there.

Thanks
    fester

Once you've an ulimited package plan, it come with free unlimited roaming. However, if you use roaming a lot(meaning all the time)sprint will send you a warning msg letting you know that you're not using their network, and that you're incurring too much roaming data. Even though your plan say unlimited.(Im talking like a whole month or two of roaming.)

I visit upstate NY a lot, and I get pretty good sprint signal there. ^_^
    I'm in albany as we speak, rockin full bars of 3g. I drive a truck and am up here all the time, I can't remember ever getting the roam signal. There are some 1x spots. And don't forget, all the service plazas on the thruway have free wifi. One last thing, I would think about getting a new wife, the pre is awesome!!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    QUESTION:

I work in a building with BAD Sprint service; but Verizon has near-perfect coverage.

My phone shows in "1x R...." all day. I can barely make calls on while in that roam state.

Why would I not be picking up the stronger Verizon signal??
    i livr in upstate ny and i roam all the time at home l no i prob use more roaming miniutes than sprint minutes and my bill has never reflected anything out of the ordinary. i have been with sprint almost 4 years now
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Data roaming on Verizon is always 1x,which sucks since I used to roam on the same towers when Alltel owned them with EVDO. Verizon wasn't interested in allowing that. Otherwise both data and phone service are totally covered with the everything plan.
    Good question. I've been with Sprint for 12+ years and it is the best value IMHO.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    i livr in upstate ny and i roam all the time at home l no i prob use more roaming miniutes than sprint minutes and my bill has never reflected anything out of the ordinary. i have been with sprint almost 4 years now
    Consider yourself lucky. I know of several people who have either gotten warning, or terminated contract. ^_^
    yeah guess i am. my roaming use to even be terrible i think VZW put up a new tower somewhere near me i wasnt able 2 get calls at my house unless i stood outside in my driveway now no problems at all
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast