Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    It would be nice if Sprint could give us all the same price on the Pre, so long as you renew for the two year contract.

Personally, I've always been tempted to switch to AT&T just for the iphone, like many I'm sure, but I stayed with Sprint in hopes of them either getting rights to sell the iphone eventually, or that they would have their own version of the iphone.

For that reason, I fell for the Instinct last year, then had to return it when it couldn't access my email (it advertised it would, and after I bought it, tech support admitted there was a problem).

I had already given my old phone to a friend, so after I returned the Instinct, I was convinced by an apologetic rep to get the Treo 800w. After rebates and all, I believe this still cost me around $250.

The 800w was great at first, but got glitchy over time. I finally had to exchange it for a new one this february under my insurance because it became so slow and would not even allow itself to hard reset.

My refurbished one is starting to get buggy again too.

So now, the phone I was waiting for all along is coming out: Palm Pre, and I am not eligible for the full upgrade til 2010. I'm not even eligible for the $75 for another couple months, and even then I still won't get the $100 rebate.

If only I hadn't used up my upgrade on the lure of that damn Instinct.

With the release of the Pre only two weeks away, I've been on the phone with several different retention reps to see if there was any way I could get the full upgrade. I offered to compromise in any way, including bumping up to a more expensive plan just to qualify.

The answer has been a very stern NO.

I've been with Sprint for 9 years and spend just $1 less a month than I need to qualify for the Sprint Premier program, and they told me there was nothing they could do for me.

I hate to say that I'll be leaving Sprint and Palm behind, cause if I'm going to have to pay $400-$500 for the Pre, I'm simply going to pay the early termination fee and get the $199 iphone.

I know my plan will be more expensive there (but not much more than if Sprint let me upgrade my plan in exchange for eligibility on the Pre), but AT&T has rollover minutes, which Sprint doesn't have. Not to mention, there are rumors of price cuts in the iphone data plans coming soon.

It's a shame because it seems to be the luck of the draw here on when you last upgraded, and this is clearly the best phone that Sprint has ever had to offer. It's just disappointing for a long time customer, and I have a feeling that I won't be the only one leaving Sprint over this.

I'll give it one more try on launch day, but they don't sound like they are going to budge.

Goodbye Sprint.
    It's sad that cell companies care so little about churn that they can't work something out. This is especially true of Sprint, who needs to hold on to every precious subscriber they have.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    try contacting this Dan@sprint.com, i have sort of the same problem as you and i am trying to work it out with them
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Bye bye.... we won't miss you.

You want Sprint to subsidize you less than six months after ALREADY subsidizing you? And you wonder why they said no??

Wow....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    remember, the contracts are there to keep you as a customer, and also, the phones are cheap because Sprint counts on you staying with them 2 years. In most cases, there will always be a new phone in a year, that I want. Just pay the price, and then sell your old phone on ebay.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Bye bye.... we won't miss you.
    No need to be rude. The OP has some good points and was logical and rational with what he said.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'm in a similar situation. I have the Centro and I'm on the SERO plan, but I can't upgrade til January 2010. Sprint will make more money off of me by allowing me to get the Pre and forcing me to switch to Simply Everything, and I'd be very happy to do that. But right now is seems that I can't.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    No need to be rude. The OP has some good points and was logical and rational with what he said.
    Logical?

Are you serious?

His logic is.... I don't like my phone... Sprint should pay for me to get a new one... how is that logical?
    I'm sorry but you're asking to abuse the system and are acting like it's Sprints fault.

I have no sympathy for you. You are not the victim here.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I'm sorry but you're asking to abuse the system and are acting like it's Sprints fault.

I have no sympathy for you. You are not the victim here.
    +1
    I definitely understand your frustration, and I'm not writing this to judge your decision.

I am, however, inclined to share a couple of points that might help better direct your decision.

First, while the bottom line is the same ($400 outright for the Pre, or ETF + $199 iPhone) I don't believe they are equal. I have had both iPhones. I got both of them on their launch days and was happy for a little while. You'll find however, that AT&T's network is weaker, and less reliable than Sprint's. Further, dropped calls happened often and service is more expensive...

Speaking of service, you mentioned that you heard AT&T would be introducing cheaper rate plans? You heard correctly, but here are some details not many know. AT&T is rumored to be introducing lower priced data plans (~$20 instead of the current $30) however these reduced price plans will be limited (vs current unlimited data). Its my opinion, but I definitely feel this would reduce how much you enjoyed your iPhone.

To keep this from getting too long, I have used both iPhones on both US GSM networks. T-Mobile is much cheaper but the reception in Miami is very weak. AT&T is stronger than T-Mobile but way too expensive. Sprint's coverage, (and roaming agreements with Verizon) is probably the first thing you'll miss. Second, Apple doesn't really listen and follow through with updates users want. While its too early to say that Palm will with WebOS, Apple is releasing Copy and Paste after nearly 2 years...really?

In the end its your decision, I just hope you think it through so that you dont end up paying another ETF.

I hope this helps!
    Well I believe the early termination fee is $200. And then another $200 for the iPhone. And then the activation fee for the iPhone. That brings you to just about $450 if you go with the 8gb iphone. So youd rather spend an extra few hundred a year on the att plan, than pay just an extra benjamin and stay with Sprint? If you REALLY want an iPhone then go for it, but otherwise it seems worth it to buy the Pre outright and save some dough in the longrun. Especially if you end up with the 16gb iPhone which would end up costing you the same price as the $550 Pre.
    So you pay more per month with AT&T, an ETF from Sprint and $199 for the Iphone = 374 + monthly extra and can't buy the Pre outright for almost the same amount of money?

Enjoy AT&T, I'm leaving them on June 6th.

You aren't rational you are just crying.
    For the OP it makes sense to go to ATT because of the high initial cost of the Pre. Chances are it won't be any better on launch day so I'd suggest the OP go with ATT since it sounds like his mind is partially made up.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Customer should have done homework before spending that dough on 800w. I had it and didn't like it but I knew what kind of functionality I'd be getting but just missed my 755p.

With the email thing, I'm sure it could have been setup but not enough effort was put into getting it working.

Sprint bends the rules with 1 customer, 300 call in asking for similar results. Whole point of contract is for company to make profit and make up for lost money for subsidizing phone so it could be affordable.
    OP, I hope you tell your story to retentions and get taken care of.

If not, paying your early termination fee, and paying for an iphone, is going to be worth it? For what? A gimick phone? You're nuts.
    I really don't understand how people are mid contract and want to get the Pre on the cheap and then bad mouth Sprint like they're at fault for saying no. I'm in sales and all for customer service, but what's the point of having contracts if the customers don't want to abide by them? Remember TO whining about making a few hundred thousand his 2nd year with the Eagles and wanted a new contract because he had Alzheimers and couldn't remember the many millions he was paid his first year with the big salary and signing bonus. Sounds the same to me.

And why do you people who complain never mention the money you could make selling your current phone to help offset the higher cost of non fully subsidized phone?

Sorry. I just don't have sympathy. Have fun spending more money on AT&T for inferior service and subjectively an inferior product.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I really don't understand how people are mid contract and want to get the Pre on the cheap and then bad mouth Sprint like they're at fault for saying no. I'm in sales and all for customer service, but what's the point of having contracts if the customers don't want to abide by them? Remember TO whining about making a few hundred thousand his 2nd year with the Eagles and wanted a new contract because he had Alzheimers and couldn't remember the many millions he was paid his first year with the big salary and signing bonus. Sounds the same to me.

And why do you people who complain never mention the money you could make selling your current phone to help offset the higher cost of non fully subsidized phone?

Sorry. I just don't have sympathy. Have fun spending more money on AT&T for inferior service and subjectively an inferior product.
    That IS a good point. That's what I do with all my old cell phones.
    yes but for members like me whose eligibilty begins in july, why cant they change it just one month, how would that affect them at all besides upsetting the customer
    Hey I'm new to this board but cut the guy some slack. This country was founded by bunch of whiners, its the american way.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast