Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Actually you don't know what you are talking about.

The original Iphone was subsidized on contract, when the 3g Iphone came out everyone with the old version was able to upgrade at the new customer pricing despite still being a year into contract. The same should be true for this one.

Also the Pre is a $550 phone and a nice one. So is the Iphone. The Pre also mysteriously has significantly less storage than many on the market as well so it is an expensive phone with 8gb. Something that will be pointed out in every honest review and something Palm should have never decided to do. Especially with storage costs so cheap. They could have eliminated one of the biggest complaints about the device and made more profits selling the 16gb version as well.
    i think sprint is doing this.... i bought a centro and got a price cut but not the new costumer price but i renewed my contract..... 3 months later the instinct came out and i renewed my contract again but i got the new costumer cost 3 months into a contract...... 1 year later i'm eligible for the full $150 discount + the rebates.... well i hope so on the rebates...lol
    I'm afraid I'm not understanding the math here. mopak, you say that you're willing to pay $20-25/month more than you are now (presumably just to get a pre, and not because you need whatever extra minutes you'd be getting for that more expensive plan). So, that's $480-600 more over the course of 2 years. That's more than paying full price for the pre and keeping your existing plan (assuming you have a qualifying plan).

If you can't afford to pay that much extra up-front but *think* you can afford even more than that over two years, then I would suggest that you really can't afford that, either.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    hmmm, let see when I bought these phones out of the gate, were they buggy?
    Visor Phone, yes
    Treo 180, yes
    Treo 270, yes
    Treo 600, yes
    Treo 650, yes
    Treo 755P, yes
    Iphone 3G, yes
    Treo Pro, yes
    Epix, beyond yes (had the phone for few days)
    G1, yes

On all those phones
    Did I ever wish that I had waited, and not bought it on first release?
    Only the Iphone 3G. I wish I had never bought it, and bought a Apple Touch to carry with any phone., but I will give Apple credit, the offered to take the phone back 3 months later, when the promised updates (and 3 replacement phones) did nothing to make the phone work any better. And ATT that credited me the ET fee $200 plus another $100 for my trouble, to my account without making me return the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mopak View Post
    So now, the phone I was waiting for all along is coming out: Palm Pre, and I am not eligible for the full upgrade til 2010. I'm not even eligible for the $75 for another couple months, and even then I still won't get the $100 rebate.

If only I hadn't used up my upgrade on the lure of that damn Instinct.

With the release of the Pre only two weeks away, I've been on the phone with several different retention reps to see if there was any way I could get the full upgrade. I offered to compromise in any way, including bumping up to a more expensive plan just to qualify.

The answer has been a very stern NO.

I've been with Sprint for 9 years and spend just $1 less a month than I need to qualify for the Sprint Premier program, and they told me there was nothing they could do for me.

I hate to say that I'll be leaving Sprint and Palm behind, cause if I'm going to have to pay $400-$500 for the Pre, I'm simply going to pay the early termination fee and get the $199 iphone.

I know my plan will be more expensive there (but not much more than if Sprint let me upgrade my plan in exchange for eligibility on the Pre), but AT&T has rollover minutes, which Sprint doesn't have. Not to mention, there are rumors of price cuts in the iphone data plans coming soon.
    First, stop presuming that you're going to be charged full price. When the Pre comes out, simply bring the phone up to the counter and let them tell you how much it will cost. If you're not pleasantly surprised, you can always end the transaction right there. Do not approach the counter with a story about how much you anticipate paying vs. how much you "should" pay. Three out of four times, Sprint reps have structured deals for me that cost less than I expected to pay, even without my prompting. I got a Treo Pro a couple of months ago at the upgrade price and got the MIR, even though an Instinct purchase last June renewed my contract for two years. I didn't ask for any special treatment; I just proceeded with the purchase without adding any commentary. I'll probably get a similar deal on the Pre, but if I dont, I have no problem with paying my own way, so if I have to pay full price, I'll recoup half of the cost eBaying the Pro.

Second, I don't know exactly what plan you're on, but I'm on an Everything Data 900 plan, which is 200-400 more minutes than I ever use in any given month ($89.99 - a 24% B of A corporate discount), so AT&T's rollover minutes wouldn't justify their additional cost, especially in addition to Sprint's $200 ETF. Buying an iPhone because you want an iPhone is one thing, but it sounds like you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Third, don't overestimate your leverage with Sprint. As long as demand for the Pre outstrips supply, Sprint has no incentive to sell the phone to low-profit, high-maintenance customers when there are high-profit, low-maintenance customers equally anxious to get their hands on it. Hence the internal memo emphasizing, "We can't afford to sell the Pre to the wrong customers."
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    A 10 year customer shouldn't have to pay twice of what a new customer pays. Those of you who disagree so strongly are either spint employees or are the ones who pay full price on a regular basis and don't want to admit you are prone to being boned. Blunt enough for ya. bye bye now.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboard1219 View Post
    yes but for members like me whose eligibilty begins in july, why cant they change it just one month, how would that affect them at all besides upsetting the customer
    I'm in the same boat. Waiting won't kill us though.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Bye bye.... we won't miss you.

You want Sprint to subsidize you less than six months after ALREADY subsidizing you? And you wonder why they said no??

Wow....
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mopak View Post
    It would be nice if Sprint could give us all the same price on the Pre, so long as you renew for the two year contract.

Personally, I've always been tempted to switch to AT&T just for the iphone, like many I'm sure, but I stayed with Sprint in hopes of them either getting rights to sell the iphone eventually, or that they would have their own version of the iphone.

For that reason, I fell for the Instinct last year, then had to return it when it couldn't access my email (it advertised it would, and after I bought it, tech support admitted there was a problem).

I had already given my old phone to a friend, so after I returned the Instinct, I was convinced by an apologetic rep to get the Treo 800w. After rebates and all, I believe this still cost me around $250.

The 800w was great at first, but got glitchy over time. I finally had to exchange it for a new one this february under my insurance because it became so slow and would not even allow itself to hard reset.

My refurbished one is starting to get buggy again too.

So now, the phone I was waiting for all along is coming out: Palm Pre, and I am not eligible for the full upgrade til 2010. I'm not even eligible for the $75 for another couple months, and even then I still won't get the $100 rebate.

If only I hadn't used up my upgrade on the lure of that damn Instinct.

With the release of the Pre only two weeks away, I've been on the phone with several different retention reps to see if there was any way I could get the full upgrade. I offered to compromise in any way, including bumping up to a more expensive plan just to qualify.

The answer has been a very stern NO.

I've been with Sprint for 9 years and spend just $1 less a month than I need to qualify for the Sprint Premier program, and they told me there was nothing they could do for me.

I hate to say that I'll be leaving Sprint and Palm behind, cause if I'm going to have to pay $400-$500 for the Pre, I'm simply going to pay the early termination fee and get the $199 iphone.

I know my plan will be more expensive there (but not much more than if Sprint let me upgrade my plan in exchange for eligibility on the Pre), but AT&T has rollover minutes, which Sprint doesn't have. Not to mention, there are rumors of price cuts in the iphone data plans coming soon.

It's a shame because it seems to be the luck of the draw here on when you last upgraded, and this is clearly the best phone that Sprint has ever had to offer. It's just disappointing for a long time customer, and I have a feeling that I won't be the only one leaving Sprint over this.

I'll give it one more try on launch day, but they don't sound like they are going to budge.

Goodbye Sprint.
    There will always be new phone that you want. You can't expect Sprint to give you the latest and greatest every year just because you have been with them so long. Sprint doesn't make money on the phones, they cell the service. Palm (in this case) sells the phone. I'm sure Sprint gets something for each phone sold but it's a small percentage. I hope you really do leave Sprint. Retaining people like you is one factor that drives up the price of service. If $150.00 off a new phone every 2 years and the least expensive plans of any carrier isn't enough then you should definitely spend the $200.00 for the ETF and buy a new $200.00 + phone with an inferior carrier and more expensive plan just because Sprint won't give you the newest phone for free. It only makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester_069 View Post
    A 10 year customer shouldn't have to pay twice of what a new customer pays. Those of you who disagree so strongly are either spint employees or are the ones who pay full price on a regular basis and don't want to admit you are prone to being boned. Blunt enough for ya. bye bye now.
    Turn it around. Say you sign a two-year contract with Sprint (or any other carrier) to get a set service at a set rate. Six months later, Sprint changes it's plans, and equivalent service now costs more. Sprint wants to change your terms to the new rate. Since you want Sprint to change your contract to favor you, I assume you'd have no problems with them changing the contract to favor themselves, right>

What you don't seem to get is that Sprint eats a boatload of cash when they subsidize the new phone for you. In 6 months, they haven't made that back, so asking them to do it again is asking them to lose money on top of money they already lost.

When did this country's populace develop such a sense of entitlement?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    bye bye.... We won't miss you.

You want sprint to subsidize you less than six months after already subsidizing you? And you wonder why they said no??

Wow....
    amen thank you...
    Quote Originally Posted by lordelfkin View Post
    amen thank you...
    You resurrected a thread just to echo the sentiments that it wasn't necessary in the first place?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Get a Pre on Ebay, Brand new for $350
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345