Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboard1219 View Post
    yes but for members like me whose eligibilty begins in july, why cant they change it just one month, how would that affect them at all besides upsetting the customer
    Can't you just wait and buy it in July?
    Quote Originally Posted by mopak View Post
    Goodbye Sprint.
    Why don't you just open a new line? Then close out your other one when the contract is done. Problem solved.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I'll have to echo others' comments.

1. You're asking to abuse the system and since they won't budge on it, you're wanting to go to ATT, get an iPhone and pay more money for subpar service. Doesn't make sense.

2. You can't get mad at Sprint for them following the rules they told you about when you signed your initial 2 year contract on the Instinct. You have to log the time to get the rebate like the rest of us. I was tempted to use my rebates on my Centro toward the end of last year, but opted to buy it outright and save my rebates because I knew "something big" was coming out this year from Sprint...I thought it was going to be an Android device, but I'm delighted it's the Pre. Now I'll sell my Centro on craigslist and recoup some of my money (mind you I feel I definitely got my money's worth out of the phone).

3. Devices come and go. Yes the Pre will be a rockstar handset, but you think it's going to be an end all??? Absolutely not. I anticipate multiple Android devices as well as more webOS devices on Sprint in the not-so-distant future. Be patient for your rebates and get one of those devices while all of us that bought a Pre can't qualify for an upgrade.

Moral of the story: Don't cut off your nose to spite your face by switching to ATT. Pony up the cash for a Pre if you really want it - you'll be happy you stayed with Sprint for several reasons others have mentioned. When your rebates do come back around, sell your Pre on craigslist/eBay and get a rockin new phone for the discounted price.

Oh, the other way to do it would be to upgrade your plan to a Everything Family plan, get a second phone line that would get you the rebates and a Pre, then swap which phone is on which number after the deal is done. Remember though, you'll be locked into having that second line for 2 yrs.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I understand that I'm halfway through a contract and am prepared to pay the early termination fee to get out of it.

I suppose the main point I was trying to make is that I am offering to upgrade my contract in favor of Sprint to get the Pre.

Paying Sprint an extra $20 per month would total almost an extra $500 for Sprint by the end of my contract on top of what I was already paying them.

I've been with Sprint for almost 10 years and have stuck by them through all of my phone troubles and billing errors.

I asked, they said no, so I'm venting a bit. But who knows, maybe you guys will convince me to stay.
    <<edited by berd>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/22/2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyvsp View Post
    Hey I'm new to this board but cut the guy some slack. This country was founded by bunch of whiners, its the american way.
    If he sold his Instinct when he got it plus his 800w he could have gotten at least $350 no problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Can't you just wait and buy it in July?
    why dont u wait with me til july?
    I hate to say that I'll be leaving Sprint and Palm behind, cause if I'm going to have to pay $400-$500 for the Pre, I'm simply going to pay the early termination fee and get the $199 iphone.
    Sorry if I am missing something but if you are happy to terminate your contract and get a $199 iphone then why can't you terminate your contract and get a $199 Pre on a new 2 year sprint contract?
    agreed,
    1 more Pre for the rest of us!

Everyone: THE NEW iPhone IS BETTER BUY THAT
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Why don't you just open a new line? Then close out your other one when the contract is done. Problem solved.
    Well you can just cancel your contract and then re open it and you'll be considered a new customer and you'll be qualified for all the rebates ($199 pre). However, you risk losing your phone number, but sprint does pro rate contracts so you might not pay the full $200. In order to keep your phone number you could open a new line, thus you'll be qualified for the $199 pre, you'll get a random number, switch your number to the pre, move the random number to your 800w. Wait 30 days and then cancel your contract with the random number. You'll wind up having the pre for $199 and a $200 termination fee, which is pretty much the same as the iphone, minus one month fee of sprint service.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreActive View Post
    <<edited by berd>>
    Mods What's becoming of our "-central" forums? This has always been a reasonably friendly place. Now, people are regularly denigrated because they simply hold a view some disagree with, and lately the obscenities have been increasing (and yes, the above quote is an obscenity).

For some, here's a few "reminders" from the Forum Guidelines

General Posting Guidelines
    • Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members regardless of their age/race/sexual preference/etc. Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Doing anything of the following will result, without question, in your post/thread being edited, deleted or locked by a moderator, and the appropriate user being warned or banned:
    • Foul language - TreoCentral is a site used by people of all ages, so please keep posts and links family appropriate. We use software filters to block some common language use and will not tolerate any attempts to beat such filters. Feel free to curse like a sailor at your home, not ours.
    • Personal Attacks - Do not flame, insult, or post a personal attack against another user on the TreoCentral forum. Be courteous, not rude. Do not troll or respond to trolls.

If folks can't take the personal responsibility to stop the language and personal attacks, I think it's time for a moderator or two to "remind" them of their responsibility.

Edited because the mod edited the "inspiring" post - it really wasn't worth repeating...
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/22/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Good luck getting an affordable data plan on ATT. I'm looking forward to leaving them for Sprint and paying less for more goodies with the Pre. This Everything thing is very appealing to me after having been nickel-and-dimed to pieces by ATT for so long.

By the way, I have my own tale: my ATT Tilt bit the dust after a 16 months. The antenna went out. I begged, pleaded, called the "I'm cancelling" people, etc. ATT said I was two months away from "early upgrade," and wouldn't budge. So I dug out my old Cingular Razr (dumb) phone and resolved to wait for the Pre to come out - not necessarily to leave ATT, but to get a smartphone that has exactly what I want.

My only point is that your story probably wouldn't have ended more favorably with another carrier - certainly not with ATT.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Well im in the same situation that you are in, and yes I too wish I could get some discounts to help me out. The difference though is that I knew that I was going to be in this situation since the announcement of the Pre so I started putting some money into my "Im getting myself a Pre on launch day fund". And I have now managed to save up the amount to buy the Pre at retail cost and not having to extend my contract for another two years. You should have done the same. I know times are tough so this phone might not be for everyone who is still in the middle of their contracts due to cost. It was simple for me cuz the iphone is not an option, I was not switching to ATT for anything. I do feel for you though cuz like I said I would prefer not to spend so much on a phone, but it was just a no brainer.
    I hate to say that I'll be leaving Sprint and Palm behind, cause if I'm going to have to pay $400-$500 for the Pre, I'm simply going to pay the early termination fee and get the $199 iphone.
    $200 Termination fee + $200 iPhone + $35 AT&T activation fee + ($20 Minimum plan difference * 24 Months) = $915 over 2 years

Or $550 Pre = $550......

You really think $365 is worth spending just to spite Sprint?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I understand that I'm halfway through a contract and am prepared to pay the early termination fee to get out of it.

I suppose the main point I was trying to make is that I am offering to upgrade my contract in favor of Sprint to get the Pre.

Paying Sprint an extra $20 per month would total almost an extra $500 for Sprint by the end of my contract on top of what I was already paying them.

I've been with Sprint for almost 10 years and have stuck by them through all of my phone troubles and billing errors.

I asked, they said no, so I'm venting a bit. But who knows, maybe you guys will convince me to stay.
    So if they let you get the Pre now, 1/2 way into your contract, what's going to happen in a year when a Pre 2.0 comes out? What about if you switch to AT&T and get an iPhone... what if the iPhone 3.0 comes out after you signed, or maybe the Palm EOS? Will you complain that you can't get the upgrade? When does it end?

Just play by the rules. If you don't like it, leave.
    Suck it up Pay Early termination.
    I have 3g now it sucks, att sucks.
    stop whining.
    yea you made 2 bad choices in a row on phones and you got discounts on both of the phones....

take some responsibility...
    sell your treo to cover some of the cost
    in 6 months when the new latest and greatest comes out you'll be in the drivers seat
    make up your damn choose, iphone or pre end of story. or just gtfo
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyvsp View Post
    Hey I'm new to this board but cut the guy some slack. This country was founded by bunch of whiners, its the american way.
    Wrong. America was founded by thinkers with a heart for their fellowmen. Stop bashing my country!!! If you call yourself an American then shame on you.

As for the OP. I'm an AT&T customer. With what I have read from the forums I can say that Sprint has been a very generous company. I am not discounting the fact that they also have their share of blunders. But compared with AT&T, Sprint offers more for their customers.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast