1.    #1  
    Like everyone else, I'm excited about the pre, but am not eligible for upgrade until October 2009. From what I've read, it seems that sprint is not granting early upgrades for the pre, so I was thinking about ways to be able to purchase it at the new customer price.

The only option I came up with was adding a new line onto your existing account, purchase the pre on the new line, and then transferring your (old SERO) account to someone else via one of the plan swap websites. The only issue with that is I don't know if you can maintain your existing number doing this.

Thoughts? Any other ideas?
    Last edited by wlinwo1; 05/20/2009 at 11:37 AM.
    I was told that my price (S | P customer, 20 months left on contract) will be $474.99 - $100 MIR = $374.99. So, That's basically a $175 premium over a new/out-of-contract customer. May not be precise--e.g., where's the extra $25 come from?--but it seems to match up pretty closely to what some others have reported.

For $175, I'm not sure what kind of games I'd be willing to play...

However, my wife has had success in the past getting a new phone on another line, which she then gets rolled into her plan to share minutes. She swaps the number, and gives the other phone to someone in the family (our daughter, her parents, etc.). Because Sprint basically ends up giving her the line for free, we end up paying nothing extra and she keeps her number every time.

I'm not sure how that works with the Pre, if at all, because I think there's a cost to having another line with a Simply Everything plan. I suppose I could add a new line completely, get the Pre discounted on that line, and then drop my existing line to the minimum. However, I have no idea what that minimum would be, and I'm guessing the $175 would quickly be made up for in extra monthly costs.

Just tossing that out there...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wlinwo1 View Post
    Like everyone else, I'm excited about the pre, but am not eligible for upgrade until October 2009. From what I've read, it seems that sprint is not granting early upgrades for the pre, so I was thinking about ways to be able to purchase it at the new customer price.

The only option I came up with was adding a new line onto your existing account, purchase the pre on the new line, and then transferring your account to someone else via one of the plan swap websites. The only issue with that is I don't know if you can maintain your existing number doing this.

Thoughts? Any other ideas?
    I was thinking about adding a third line to my account because the wife wants a Pre too, I currently have two lines and only one is eligible for the new customer price. My options, I can add a third line for $20 dollars more a month (still cheaper than AT&T) or I can add a line, cancel the line thats not eligible to upgrade, pay the ETF and sell her instinct on ebay to recoupe the ETF hit.
  4.    #4  
    Can you change your existing number over to your new line and then pay the ETF to cancel the old line w/ the new number? Does that make sense?
    Yes, that is my understanding. But you might want to think about getting your pre from best buy where you can get an instant rebate as changing your # to a different line will null you mail in rebate.
    Here's another question. How do you get out of the utterly bogus "activation fee" of $25, and the "upgrade fee" nonsense of $25?

I've always thought those fees are unnecessary and egregious on the part of sprint.
    Telesales and online sales will not charge you an activation fee and if you buy in store I have always been told by the salesman to call customer service and they will wave it, which they always have. As far as an upgrade fee i cant say that I ever remember being charged one, could be wrong though.

Cheers.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wlinwo1 View Post
    Can you change your existing number over to your new line and then pay the ETF to cancel the old line w/ the new number? Does that make sense?
    You may want to double check if the number can be transferred from your existing Sprint line to your new Sprint line. Some carriers will not port a number from itself.

If Sprint says otherwise, I'd make sure they put it in writing in the account notes.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Here's another question. How do you get out of the utterly bogus "activation fee" of $25, and the "upgrade fee" nonsense of $25?

I've always thought those fees are unnecessary and egregious on the part of sprint.
    In store, you say "Great, I'm ready to go ahead with this if you can waive the activation fee." To which they respond "Okay.".

Since I've worked commish jobs before, I usually buy the accessories I've assumed they need to sell to get their full split.

Everyone leaves happy.