1.    #1  
    Hi Folks. I was hoping someone would know: Can I just buy an Pre w/o contract and activate it on my old plan? I have unlimited internet and voice but in a deeply discounted plan and I dont really want to give it up.
    Only way I see the possibility of that is if you do not buy it from sprint when its available in unlocked form.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodyDragon View Post
    Hi Folks. I was hoping someone would know: Can I just buy an Pre w/o contract and activate it on my old plan? I have unlimited internet and voice but in a deeply discounted plan and I dont really want to give it up.
    You're most likely going to have to switch to an "everything" plan. Sprint is apparently doing the same with the Pre as they did with the Instinct.
    You would have to pay full price to even attempt it. The $199 price is contingent on agreeing to a two year contract with an everything plan.

You might be able to slip one past them by activating the phone by phone after buying it. But from what I understand all the data services the Pre uses require a full data plan, not the ala carte version that was used with the Vision plans.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    From what I understand the system wont let you activate the phone unless your account has a qualifying plan... No way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by roturn View Post
    You would have to pay full price to even attempt it. The $199 price is contingent on agreeing to a two year contract with an everything plan.

You might be able to slip one past them by activating the phone by phone after buying it. But from what I understand all the data services the Pre uses require a full data plan, not the ala carte version that was used with the Vision plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    From what I understand the system wont let you activate the phone unless your account has a qualifying plan... No way around it.
    I am wondering if Sprint is that savy to have actual system control over that, or is it a manual thing that is done by Sprint when activating a phone?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    With the instinct it will not accept the ESN unless you have a qualifying plan. It is a safe assumption that the pre will be handled the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by roturn View Post
    I am wondering if Sprint is that savy to have actual system control over that, or is it a manual thing that is done by Sprint when activating a phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    I think there was a similar issue with activating the Treo 755p because you were supposed to have Sprint Power Vision (EVDO) on your plan and I think before EVDO it was called Sprint Vision only. I activated my Treo over the phone and I didn't have a problem.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    When I took my treo 650 to a repair center and it was replaced with a treo 700p they were unable to activate it untill they switched me to a power vision plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I think there was a similar issue with activating the Treo 755p because you were supposed to have Sprint Power Vision (EVDO) on your plan and I think before EVDO it was called Sprint Vision only. I activated my Treo over the phone and I didn't have a problem.