123. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep SERO over the Pre

54 43.90%
  • Upgrade to Pre and sacrifice SERO for SEP

61 49.59%
  • Leave Sprint ;p

8 6.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I hope you guys understand that they will be taking away SERO at some point, whether you like it or not. They are simply phasing you out now, but what's to stop them from not allowing you to renew at that rate after some point? Regardless, I would bet bottom dollar that they will eventually require any of these smart phones or next-gen phones to have the EP's or else... Might as well get on board while the plans are at their cheapest.

I know I have been pampered by a $30/mo rate plan, but I also know that it will be gone eventually. If a phone comes along that I love, I might as well take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post
    I hope you guys understand that they will be taking away SERO at some point, whether you like it or not. They are simply phasing you out now, but what's to stop them from not allowing you to renew at that rate after some point? Regardless, I would bet bottom dollar that they will eventually require any of these smart phones or next-gen phones to have the EP's or else... Might as well get on board while the plans are at their cheapest.

I know I have been pampered by a $30/mo rate plan, but I also know that it will be gone eventually. If a phone comes along that I love, I might as well take it.
    How do you know this? They haven't indicated this at all. So far it's only the marquee phones that require a special plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    How do you know this? They haven't indicated this at all. So far it's only the marquee phones that require a special plan.
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "indicated". No new SERO plans, the Instinct not available on SERO, and now the Pre.

Sounds like "indicators" to me...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    although the pre is nice i dont wanna spend double of what im paying now and in a year or two the pre wont be the best thing available anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "indicated". No new SERO plans, the Instinct not available on SERO, and now the Pre.

Sounds like "indicators" to me...
    Like I said, so far the only thing they have done is require an expensive plan upgrade for 2 high end phones. Do they have a history of forcing people off old plans that I'm not aware of?

Every Sprint rep I've ever spoken to (including executive customer service, who actually know what they're talking about and have the power to do just about anything) has said that I'll be able to keep my old plan as long as I want.

Just because something is no longer widely available doesn't mean that it's going to be phased out. Heck, you can still get on the $30 SERO plan today if you know what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    Like I said, so far the only thing they have done is require an expensive plan upgrade for 2 high end phones. Do they have a history of forcing people off old plans that I'm not aware of?

Every Sprint rep I've ever spoken to (including executive customer service, who actually know what they're talking about and have the power to do just about anything) has said that I'll be able to keep my old plan as long as I want.

Just because something is no longer widely available doesn't mean that it's going to be phased out. Heck, you can still get on the $30 SERO plan today if you know what you're doing.
    Oh really? Not that I know of. As others have pointed out to you, they are killing off the old SERO plans by making it impossible to renew with the newer technology, not allowing new sign-ups for it anymore, etc.

Also, I think you know not to trust anything the Sprint reps tell you. I guess if you're happy with never getting the new technology in a phone then so be it. Everyone who says "I'll wait" will eventually be in the same boat again later when the next gen stuff rolls around. Will you "wait" again then? There is no right time unless you simply don't care.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hathetran View Post
    although the pre is nice i dont wanna spend double of what im paying now and in a year or two the pre wont be the best thing available anymore
    true, but if you play the waiting game that can go on forever.
    I remember how much I wanted the 700P then how badly it crashed on me after.
    I think the pre has a lot of potential. I tried liking WM phones, but the WM 6.1 OS is worse than the most recent PalmOS. Had it not been for good hardware like HTC and great third party apps, i'd not even consider WM. I even tried flashing to 6.5..that was even worse. It's a shame...Microsoft is ok in my opinion, but they're dragging behind in the mobile area, which sucks because for competitors like apple, the mobile/small gadgets sector is the breadwinner for company. my 2 cents trying to convince myself to get the pre somehow!
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post
    Oh really? Not that I know of. As others have pointed out to you, they are killing off the old SERO plans by making it impossible to renew with the newer technology, not allowing new sign-ups for it anymore, etc.

Also, I think you know not to trust anything the Sprint reps tell you. I guess if you're happy with never getting the new technology in a phone then so be it. Everyone who says "I'll wait" will eventually be in the same boat again later when the next gen stuff rolls around. Will you "wait" again then? There is no right time unless you simply don't care.
    I checked about 2 months ago, but as of then you could still get the $30 SERO plan. This was confirmed by several people.

As far as I know, if I wanted to renew today with a brand new Treo Pro I would be able to do so with my existing SERO plan. I don't see how requiring new plans for just 2 phones means they are killing off SERO.

Normally I wouldn't trust anything the customer service reps tell me, but I called their ECS line which is a bit different. Those people are usually far more knowledgeable about what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    What about the drop the old SERO and get the new one (ERP).
    That's my choice.
    This phone better be worth an extra $720 (excluding taxes and insurance).
    I dont think it will be, and that is why I chose the option to get another phone.

The plan listed in this thread for $59.99, is exactly the same as mine except the GPS & Sprint TV. I pay $26.99 for that plan INCLUDING taxes. So the choice is obvious for me. Wait for another phone like the Touch Pro2

Until every phone we want requires a new plan I wont get one. They cant force us out of our current play unless they make EVERY phone require an everything plan. So far they haven't. Until that day comes they wont be like....Oh by the way, we have to double your plan because.

They'll push people out alright, and the PRE will be the first phone to do it. You just have to choose if you are one of those people who cave in, drop your SERO and get the phone and new plan.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I will keep my SERO as long as I can. New phones will keep coming out (I am currently on a Touch Diamond and more than satisfied with it). Perhaps IF - that is a BIG if - Sprint prevents me from continuing with SERO at some point, the wireless market would have changed significantly and mostly like Sprint will have a host of new devices to choose for, including a Pre with a microSD card slot.
    I want the Pre, badly.
    My SERO has been beyond great but I found another way of looking at it which makes me feel a little better.
    Yes, I'll be paying double for what I'm already getting and I could care less about Sprint TV or GPS but when I think about why I left Verizon, where I was paying $40 for 450 minutes, no text, no data, nada.
    So comparing the $60 EPRP to that $40 VZW plan gives me some solace.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Until every phone we want requires a new plan I wont get one. They cant force us out of our current play unless they make EVERY phone require an everything plan. So far they haven't. Until that day comes they wont be like....Oh by the way, we have to double your plan because.

They'll push people out alright, and the PRE will be the first phone to do it. You just have to choose if you are one of those people who cave in, drop your SERO and get the phone and new plan.
    You are misinformed. Once your contract is up, they can change your plan to whatever they choose. Might not be a good business decision, but they are not required to give you the SERO plan beyond your two year agreement.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    You are misinformed. Once your contract is up, they can change your plan to whatever they choose. Might not be a good business decision, but they are not required to give you the SERO plan beyond your two year agreement.
    That might be the case, but they are allowing contract renewals at the $30 price. I just renewed my contract (last Friday) and my SERO will continue till June 1st 2011.

Now Sprint can deny me service and force me to upgrade at anytime (highly doubtful they would), but they would have to break the contract and relieve me of my obligations / early termination charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    That might be the case, but they are allowing contract renewals at the $30 price. I just renewed my contract (last Friday) and my SERO will continue till June 1st 2011.

Now Sprint can deny me service and force me to upgrade at anytime (highly doubtful they would), but they would have to break the contract and relieve me of my obligations / early termination charges.
    Oh, I understand they are doing this. His statement was that They cant force us out of our current play unless they make EVERY phone require an everything plan. (I'm assuming he meant "plan", not "play").

They most certainly CAN force someone out of their plan, once they are out of contract.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    They most certainly CAN force someone out of their plan, once they are out of contract.
    Yes. But even when one is in contract, they can force you out and release you from the contract. Infact, there's a trick to getting out of contracts (for almost all wireless providers) but continuously using your phone in "roaming" mode (granted you have free roaming). This way the carrier pays a lot in your roaming chargers and you get a letter saying "thanks, but you need to move to another provider".
    Can you just buy the Pre outright at $549 and keep your old plan? I'm currently running 2 lines on a family plan, Centro & Treo, with unlimited data, text, n&w (nights at 7), roaming, Sprint-to-Sprint, etc., and 1,000 anytime minutes, for a total of $50 (excl. taxes & fees).

Even if I got the cheapest listed Everything plan for two lines, I'd make up the $350 difference between new contract & Pre's retail ($549-$199) within a matter of months. So, for me, it'd be 100% worth it to just buy the Pre at retail if I can put it on my plan.
    Oh, I understand they are doing this. His statement was that They cant force us out of our current play unless they make EVERY phone require an everything plan. (I'm assuming he meant "plan", not "play").

Why would you want to PAY to renew a contract?? That sounds ludacris to me. Sprint wants you in a contract, so you paying is buttering their bread on both sides!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123