Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Some of you have probably already heard about the Sprint MiFi, a great new way to bring a mobile hot spot where ever you go.

Sprint will launch this device for early sale on the web on 6/1. The vanity URL to buy it will be www.sprint.com/mifi

The MiFi has been getting a lot of great press already, Guy Kawasaki tweeted this about it last night:

"The Sprint MIFi gadget is lifechanging. Now my iPhone is fast! And I can Skype from anywhere."

Twitter / Guy Kawasaki: The Sprint MIFi gadget is ...

If you want to read a very detailed article about the Sprint MiFi check out this Engadget write up:

Novatel's MiFi 2200 portable EV-DO router comes to Sprint
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I thought it was from Verizon, not that it matters. BUT, $60 per month is a little steep for me. I saw it initially in the NYT. This does have a CNBC clip as well.

Cheers

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/te...VI7CBe71z8rxNA
    Yeah, seems like it would be a lot cheaper to buy a Sprint phone in the first place. I do love Kawasaki's comment, though. To get a fast iPhone just pay an extra $60 a month to use it on Sprint. LOL.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    thousands of people are already do this with tethering capable WIFI smartphones on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    thousands of people are already do this with tethering capable WIFI smartphones on Sprint
    Will the Pre be able to be tethered to a laptop? I keep thinking that I should be able to utilize the unlimited internet access that I already pay for on my
    Sprint plan to get online with my laptop. Is that too much to hope for?
    Quote Originally Posted by tntdean View Post
    Will the Pre be able to be tethered to a laptop? I keep thinking that I should be able to utilize the unlimited internet access that I already pay for on my
    Sprint plan to get online with my laptop. Is that too much to hope for?
    It's a breach of your user agreement, but I'm sure it is possible.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    It's a breach of your user agreement, but I'm sure it is possible.
    so is sending a ribald txt message to your own wife.
    The $60 isn't bad, I pay that for my data card. The 5 GB limit is the deal breaker with me.
    I love these commercials!!! Has anyone made that beat into a ringtone???

Videos Posted by Sprint: Aug 4, 2009 5:54pm | Facebook

***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I have one of these MiFi's. I use it with my laptop and iPod touch all day long!
    pretty cool, i rather use the tethering feature enabled when rooting your pre and not have to pay anything extra...
    Quote Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
    pretty cool, i rather use the tethering feature enabled when rooting your pre and not have to pay anything extra...
    How many devices can tether off the pre?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    The $60 isn't bad, I pay that for my data card. The 5 GB limit is the deal breaker with me.
    Isn't the 5GB cap consistent with all carriers?
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ_Sprint View Post
    Some of you have probably already heard about the Sprint MiFi, a great new way to bring a mobile hot spot where ever you go.

Sprint will launch this device for early sale on the web on 6/1. The vanity URL to buy it will be Sprint: Meet the MiFi

The MiFi has been getting a lot of great press already, Guy Kawasaki tweeted this about it last night:

"The Sprint MIFi gadget is lifechanging. Now my iPhone is fast! And I can Skype from anywhere."

Twitter / Guy Kawasaki: The Sprint MIFi gadget is ...

If you want to read a very detailed article about the Sprint MiFi check out this Engadget write up:

Novatel's MiFi 2200 portable EV-DO router comes to Sprint
    for $20 a month i might think about it, maybe. But for $60, you have got to be kidding. It doesnt even support WiMax which will be available to me next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    for $20 a month i might think about it, maybe. But for $60, you have got to be kidding. It doesnt even support WiMax which will be available to me next year.
    They'll most likely have a WiMAX version by next year too. MiWi? MiMAX?
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    How many devices can tether off the pre?
    four
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I have a mifi from Sprint. Basically it costs a couple of dollars more a monthe than a standard data card. It is simply a data card that can run on a battery and has a built in wifi access point that can be used by 5 devices at once. Speed is good, it's easy to set up. Overall a very functional device for its intent.

That said, for a single user with a Pre it is not all that necessary. You can use MyTether on your Pre to get a wireless hotspot for your computer anywhere the Mifi would work. The only reason I have the mifi is that not all of my co-workers have smartphones that can tether and we occasionally have meetings where people from outside organizations want their laptops connected to the internet and we dont want them on our network. This is a simple solution for that and has some big advantages over a standard data card.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    I have a mifi from Sprint. Basically it costs a couple of dollars more a monthe than a standard data card. It is simply a data card that can run on a battery and has a built in wifi access point that can be used by 5 devices at once. Speed is good, it's easy to set up. Overall a very functional device for its intent.

That said, for a single user with a Pre it is not all that necessary. You can use MyTether on your Pre to get a wireless hotspot for your computer anywhere the Mifi would work. The only reason I have the mifi is that not all of my co-workers have smartphones that can tether and we occasionally have meetings where people from outside organizations want their laptops connected to the internet and we dont want them on our network. This is a simple solution for that and has some big advantages over a standard data card.
    Can I ask, have you tried Skype, or another IM with the Sprint mifi? I'm most interested in the video quality.
    As a Home DSL user of Verizon... I get WiFi free at certain locations in the US. All starbucks, and more. I pay 25 bucks a month for that service and get the Wifi for free. Wish they could give me a better deal with Verizon wireless though, As I spend over 100 bucks with them.
    Not sure why all the fuss. Get HTC WiFi Router app for any WinMo device with WiFi and you are good to go.