Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    To all existing Sprint customers with existing unlimited Power Vision plans, I am considering creating an online petition that would kindly ask Sprint and Palm to reconsider the plan requirements for us. This has been a huge topic of discussion and debate since CES. I am of the opinion that as a long time, loyal customer, I should be able to keep my existing contract terms while still being able to purchase and activate a Pre. Now it would be strange to create a petition for something like this when no official details have been announced. But recent information has come to light that makes it very likely that new plans will be required. My question to the community is this:

Should we join together and make ourselves heard to Sprint and Palm on this issue? Is it appropriate to create a petition like this prior to any solid information being announced through official channels? And of course, if I (or anyone else) created one, would people sign it?

I have been so excited for a new Palm device for years now (since Cobalt was just a baby), and to think that in order to finally get my hands on one, I have to vastly increase my monthly cell phone bill makes me sick to my stomach. I am actually having second thoughts about getting a Pre at this point (and anyone who knows me would do a double-take at that statement).
    You'll have better luck petitioning Washington DC for a balanced budget, but good luck!
    Online petitions do not work. Also the amount of people who will be "hurt" by this force by this plan requirement is not enough for sprint to even blink, and I am sure they will be kind of glad to lose some users. Sure they cant claim as many subscribers but they will be hemorrhaging less money.

But sure go for it and good luck
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    To all existing Sprint customers with existing unlimited Power Vision plans, I am considering creating an online petition that would kindly ask Sprint and Palm to reconsider the plan requirements for us. This has been a huge topic of discussion and debate since CES. I am of the opinion that as a long time, loyal customer, I should be able to keep my existing contract terms while still being able to purchase and activate a Pre. Now it would be strange to create a petition for something like this when no official details have been announced. But recent information has come to light that makes it very likely that new plans will be required. My question to the community is this:

Should we join together and make ourselves heard to Sprint and Palm on this issue? Is it appropriate to create a petition like this prior to any solid information being announced through official channels? And of course, if I (or anyone else) created one, would people sign it?

I have been so excited for a new Palm device for years now (since Cobalt was just a baby), and to think that in order to finally get my hands on one, I have to vastly increase my monthly cell phone bill makes me sick to my stomach. I am actually having second thoughts about getting a Pre at this point (and anyone who knows me would do a double-take at that statement).
    Let me guess, you're a SERO customer....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Why don't you keep your plan and just get some other phone.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I realize online petitions don't usually work, and it is highly unlikely this would either. I wanted to gauge interest from this community. Remember the 700p fiasco? There is always hope I suppose, or at least the publicity.

As for your question akula34, no. I am on a standard plan that is just really old.
    It won't hurt anything, so if you want to do it, do it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It won't hurt anything, so if you want to do it, do it.
    I agree, and would like to add: but don't get your hopes up.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'm not currently a Sprint customer but even if I was on an old plan thats no longer offered, it really isn't fair and makes no sense.

1. Sprint is not dropping your plan so you can use your plan til the cows come home
    2. On ANY carrier, if you were to purchase a Blackberry, a Blackberry plan would be REQUIRED, and you'd get laughed at if you were to petition that
    3. If you want to play with the latest tech, you'll have to change your plan, its simple as that.

I really have no sympathy for those on a $30 a month plan and cry fowl if Sprint won't let you use the Pre on those said plans.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I'm not currently a Sprint customer but even if I was on an old plan thats no longer offered, it really isn't fair and makes no sense.

1. Sprint is not dropping your plan so you can use your plan til the cows come home
    2. On ANY carrier, if you were to purchase a Blackberry, a Blackberry plan would be REQUIRED, and you'd get laughed at if you were to petition that
    3. If you want to play with the latest tech, you'll have to change your plan, its simple as that.

I really have no sympathy for those on a $30 a month plan and cry fowl if Sprint won't let you use the Pre on those said plans.
    You make some fair points. However, the reason I feel this is wrong is not because the plans cost more, it's that they make me purchase additional services that I do not currently need/use. They offer no alternatives but all or nothing. To me, as a customer who is paying for exactly what I use/need, why do I have to pay for more than that just to use a phone? They would still be getting my money every month and I would only be using services that I am giving them money for. In contrast, if I switch, they will be getting money from me for things I do NOT use. How is that fair?
    Who said life was fair? I pay for a lot of channels i never watch. The list goes on.
    You make some fair points. However, the reason I feel this is wrong is not because the plans cost more, it's that they make me purchase additional services that I do not currently need/use. They offer no alternatives but all or nothing. To me, as a customer who is paying for exactly what I use/need, why do I have to pay for more than that just to use a phone? They would still be getting my money every month and I would only be using services that I am giving them money for. In contrast, if I switch, they will be getting money from me for things I do NOT use. How is that fair?
    Of course it's not fair. It's business, and business is never fair.

Sprint has determined that the vast majority of their customers would be willing to pay X amount for Y services, and so that's what they'll require. They know that most people look at the price of the phone when considering a new purchase, not the plan.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    ... In contrast, if I switch, they will be getting money from me for things I do NOT use. How is that fair?
    Because it's their company, and their plan to offer. You make choices like this constantly. When you rent an apartment, you don't get to say "I don't need that closet, deduct 5%". At a resturant, you don't get to say "I'm not going to eat the entire steak, drop 10%".

I don't fault you at all for asking. As a matter of fact, I think you should. I don't know that a petition would be as effective as personally asking - probably you should do both.

I suspect, if you're a long term customer, that if you ask enough (firmly and politely), you'll still be required to sign up for the new service, but they will offer some other incentive to sooth the pain.
    If you didn't want to "pay for more than that just to use a phone", why would you buy a Pre in the first place?

It's a GPS/Internet/video/music phone. if you're not going to use those services, Sprint would rather sell them to someone who would (being that is how they stay in business).

This is a bad/unfair business practice, how, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Let me guess, you're a SERO customer....
    I am not a Sero customer but I have 7 lines with Sprint, 5 are shared and all have the unlimited text, data ect for cheap!

2.50 for text, some lines are free, 3000 mins, 6 pm Nights, (nice plan)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Because it's their company, and their plan to offer. You make choices like this constantly. When you rent an apartment, you don't get to say "I don't need that closet, deduct 5%". At a resturant, you don't get to say "I'm not going to eat the entire steak, drop 10%".

I don't fault you at all for asking. As a matter of fact, I think you should. I don't know that a petition would be as effective as personally asking - probably you should do both.

I suspect, if you're a long term customer, that if you ask enough (firmly and politely), you'll still be required to sign up for the new service, but they will offer some other incentive to sooth the pain.

could they increase my discount from 22% to 30%, i know to cover the 200 a month for 4 pre's has to be hefty! Maybe I will have to go for my 2nd choice the "android"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    could they increase my discount from 22% to 30%, i know to cover the 200 a month for 4 pre's has to be hefty! Maybe I will have to go for my 2nd choice the "android"
    Yeah...go ahead and price 7 lines with 3000 minutes and data over at T-Mobile.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Ok, "fair" was the wrong term. You are all correct in that this is business, and Sprint has to make the best decisions to please both their customers and their stockholders. I get that. So rephrasing once again...I am paying for the services I use (and some that I don't, I suppose) right now. The issue is that I will be paying even more money for even more services I don't use. If I am giving Sprint, say, $100 right now and use 2/3 of my minutes every month, they are making good revenue on me for the cost. Why must I change this simply to use a different device on their network with the SAME service level I have now (which includes everything I should need to get the most out of the Pre)?

At this point, my question is largely rhetorical, because most of you have answered it - because that is how Sprint is going to make more money - but I pose it because I feel that as a loyal customer I should get some consideration (I agree hparsons - and I will definitely ask personally what they might be able to do for me).
    Ok, "fair" was the wrong term. You are all correct in that this is business, and Sprint has to make the best decisions to please both their customers and their stockholders. I get that. So rephrasing once again...I am paying for the services I use (and some that I don't, I suppose) right now. The issue is that I will be paying even more money for even more services I don't use. If I am giving Sprint, say, $100 right now and use 2/3 of my minutes every month, they are making good revenue on me for the cost. Why must I change this simply to use a different device on their network with the SAME service level I have now (which includes everything I should need to get the most out of the Pre)?
    Answer: You don't have to change that to use a different device on their network with the same service level. However, you do have to change it in order to use the Palm Pre.

You're trying to make an argument on principle, but it's really not about principle, but instead about you getting this one device. Sprint is happy to sell you the device, but only in a way in which they can make some profit from it. You can hardly accuse them of gouging with their service plans being the lowest in the industry.

Just for fecal matter and chuckles, I went to T-Mobile and priced a 3500 minute plan with four Android G-1s. With nothing more than the required $35 data plan (which includes no navigation, TV, etc.), your monthly cost for four lines and four G-1s is $290.

For Sprint and five Pre phones, it'd be around $230 ($169 Everything Data 3000. $20 each for three more lines). $60 less monthly (and that doesn't even take your discount into effect) for an additional line and way more services.

What more, exactly, do you expect Sprint to "do for you"?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    mikah912 -

Why should it be different then, if I purchase a Pre versus say a Treo Pro? In fact, with one simple application like WMWiFiRouter, I can use MORE of their bandwidth with a Treo Pro than I likely would with the Pre. Even more to the point, if I buy the Pre without any type of subsidy, should I not be allowed to keep my plan? Sprint would be losing nothing on me in that scenario. As for what I would "expect" Sprint to do for me...I expect nothing. I just think it behooves a company to do something for a customer who has had uninterrupted service for 10 years (Sprint Premier is a great concept, but since I have already fulfilled my contract, it doesn't get me anything but 25% off an already overpriced accessory and a pat on the back).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast