Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    mikah912 -

Why should it be different then, if I purchase a Pre versus say a Treo Pro? In fact, with one simple application like WMWiFiRouter, I can use MORE of their bandwidth with a Treo Pro than I likely would with the Pre. Even more to the point, if I buy the Pre without any type of subsidy, should I not be allowed to keep my plan? Sprint would be losing nothing on me in that scenario. As for what I would "expect" Sprint to do for me...I expect nothing. I just think it behooves a company to do something for a customer who has had uninterrupted service for 10 years (Sprint Premier is a great concept, but since I have already fulfilled my contract, it doesn't get me anything but 25% off an already overpriced accessory and a pat on the back).
    If you use WMWiFiRouter, you're violating the Terms of Service for your phone, unless you've signed up for a tethering account. You're paying for the ability to use their network. They don't owe you anything. It's a contract. They have the ability to change the details of the contract at any time, if you decided you no longer want to abide by the original contract. It's a new phone, they can tell you to get a new plan. It's as easy as that.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    mikah912 -

Why should it be different then, if I purchase a Pre versus say a Treo Pro? In fact, with one simple application like WMWiFiRouter, I can use MORE of their bandwidth with a Treo Pro than I likely would with the Pre. Even more to the point, if I buy the Pre without any type of subsidy, should I not be allowed to keep my plan? Sprint would be losing nothing on me in that scenario.
    I'm afraid you don't understand how Sprint generates revenue. A $500-600 one-time handset purchase (most of which is recouping the price they paid to get it from Palm) versus getting $70 minimum from you for 24 months ($1680 - and Sprint keeps most of that). Sprint would be losing a great deal by letting their most popular handsets be sold in the first scenario.

And again...you can't go elsewhere with a nationwide carrier and get a better deal.

As for what I would "expect" Sprint to do for me...I expect nothing. I just think it behooves a company to do something for a customer who has had uninterrupted service for 10 years (Sprint Premier is a great concept, but since I have already fulfilled my contract, it doesn't get me anything but 25% off an already overpriced accessory and a pat on the back).
    You don't think offering the most services for the least prices is doing something for you? They're already cutting re-up periods to a year for Premier customers. Their prices are comparatively cheap. Meanwhile, you...paid your bill according to your contract agreement.

You really think you're the one getting shortchanged here?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Who said life was fair? I pay for a lot of channels i never watch. The list goes on.
    This is so true. Lord knows I only watch the HD channels
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm afraid you don't understand how Sprint generates revenue.
    I DO understand how a cell phone company makes their money (services/contracts versus device sales).

You really think you're the one getting shortchanged here?
    Yes I do think I am getting shortchanged. That's my opinion. I respect yours. I am entitled to mine.
    Yes I do think I am getting shortchanged. That's my opinion. I respect yours. I am entitled to mine.
    Why??? Did Sprint not give you everything they agreed to? If so, how are they "shortchanging" you?

Did you give more to Sprint than you agreed to? If not, are you not then (by your standards), shortchanging them?
    So for the people who are jealous of the SERO users whining, as long as Sprint isn't losing money on SERO, and the number of SERO users is small, why not just let those users add any plan that they want? It keeps a tiny but vocal minority happy and won't affect the bottom line much anyway. Give them the Pre and then they will be happy and be loud in singing Sprint's praises. You won't be losing or gaining much money either way.

A bigger issue is that wouldn't most of you agree that it would be weird if you paid 33% more for Comcast cable if you had a Sony XBR tv compared to a Panasonic? Wouldn't it be weird if you had a BMW and paid 33% more for a gallon of gas than Honda owners paid? What if macbook owners paid 33% more for the same dsl service that PC owners do? Sure, the gas and cable companies can charge what they want, and when you buy, you agree to the terms without a gun to your head. Decoupling service from the actual phones like it's done in Asia seems more ethical to me.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 04/29/2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why??? Did Sprint not give you everything they agreed to? If so, how are they "shortchanging" you?

Did you give more to Sprint than you agreed to? If not, are you not then (by your standards), shortchanging them?
    Point taken... and I could go into ways in which Sprint did NOT live up to their contract, but I don't want to argue about this anymore. My feeling is that I should be allowed to maintain my current service and still use the Pre. If that is not a possibility, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    So for the people who are jealous of the SERO users whining, as long as Sprint isn't losing money on SERO, and the number of SERO users is small, why not just let those users add any plan that they want? It keeps a tiny but vocal minority happy and won't affect the bottom line much anyway. Give them the Pre and then they will be happy and be loud in singing Sprint's praises. You won't be losing or gaining much money either way.
    I think you're a bit misguided. No one is jealous of the SERO users, just tired of their incessant whining. SERO accounts are directly affecting the bottom line, and since they are a small group, Sprint could do just as well if not better without them. SERO users singing Sprint's praises really do no good, they sing about a plan that is no longer available so new customers.

And lets be honest here, if the Pre is not available on SERO, SERO customers aren't going anywhere. The plan is too good to leave.

As it was stated before, "you gotta pay to play."
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    I think you're a bit misguided. No one is jealous of the SERO users, just tired of their incessant whining. SERO accounts are directly affecting the bottom line, and since they are a small group, Sprint could do just as well if not better without them. SERO users singing Sprint's praises really do no good, they sing about a plan that is no longer available so new customers.

And lets be honest here, if the Pre is not available on SERO, SERO customers aren't going anywhere. The plan is too good to leave.

As it was stated before, "you gotta pay to play."
    Actually, if getting a Pre and giving up my SERO was my only option, I'd drop Sprint in a second and keep my iPhone. They let me keep my SERO when I upgraded to the Treo Pro, even though by every arguement I've read here, they could have forced me to go to a more expensive plan. But by their choice, they didn't. Why couldn't they do that for the Pre? Simple. They need to make money, and this is the only way they can pay for the R&D that went into this phone. But forcing people to change their plans just to get a new phone may backfire on them. Only time will tell.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Actually, if getting a Pre and giving up my SERO was my only option, I'd drop Sprint in a second and keep my iPhone. They let me keep my SERO when I upgraded to the Treo Pro, even though by every arguement I've read here, they could have forced me to go to a more expensive plan. But by their choice, they didn't. Why couldn't they do that for the Pre? Simple. They need to make money, and this is the only way they can pay for the R&D that went into this phone. But forcing people to change their plans just to get a new phone may backfire on them. Only time will tell.

Yes, because AT&T forcing people to use a different special and more expensive plan for the iPhone definitely backfired for them too.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post

Wait sprint did all the R&D? I would assume palm would be the ones to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I'm sure Sprint has expended a good amount of money testing the Pre and possibly making upgrades to the network for better support.

Oh, and let's not forget that Sprint will be doing most of the advertising too.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Yes, because AT&T forcing people to use a different special and more expensive plan for the iPhone definitely backfired for them too.
    At the time the iPhone was introduced, it was a new concept in phones. The Pre, while a different platform is still playing catchup with the iPhone. I'm not saying that it is an inferior product, I'm just saying that it is not as revolutionary as the iPhone was when it was introduced. People were willing to pony up the cost for new technology, and yes, there were arguements from AT&T users that they were forced to change their plans to get the iPhone. Like you say, ya wanna play, ya gotta play. But with the Pre there is now a choice in phones. It maybe that Palm is the one insisting on the pricing structure for the new phones, not Sprint (just like Apple is setting the rules on buying an iPhone).

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Something of a misspeak on my part. Palm did do the research/development, and has to recoup their costs. They have to figure that into the pricing structure they are charging Sprint for the phones. My bad on that. Bottom line, it'll affect someone's bottom line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I'm sure Sprint has expended a good amount of money testing the Pre and possibly making upgrades to the network for better support.

Oh, and let's not forget that Sprint will be doing most of the advertising too.
    There must have been some mutal sharing of R&D, since the Pre will work on Sprint's 4G network.

as a current Sprint Premier customer, i vote against this. i don't want to continue to subsidize you SERO lowlife deadbeats. time to pay up!
    We really need a separate sub-forum for plan discussions... then we need an ability to block it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    as a current Sprint Premier customer, i vote against this. i don't want to continue to subsidize you SERO lowlife deadbeats. time to pay up!
    Amen.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Answer: You don't have to change that to use a different device on their network with the same service level. However, you do have to change it in order to use the Palm Pre.

You're trying to make an argument on principle, but it's really not about principle, but instead about you getting this one device. Sprint is happy to sell you the device, but only in a way in which they can make some profit from it. You can hardly accuse them of gouging with their service plans being the lowest in the industry.

Just for fecal matter and chuckles, I went to T-Mobile and priced a 3500 minute plan with four Android G-1s. With nothing more than the required $35 data plan (which includes no navigation, TV, etc.), your monthly cost for four lines and four G-1s is $290.

For Sprint and five Pre phones, it'd be around $230 ($169 Everything Data 3000. $20 each for three more lines). $60 less monthly (and that doesn't even take your discount into effect) for an additional line and way more services.

What more, exactly, do you expect Sprint to "do for you"?

Let me call Sprint and verify!

Thank you

Jerry Giardina
    Before we all make too many assumptions about existing customers (other than SERO), let's wait and see what happens when the Pre actually arrives and the "first wave" ships. I have a $10 PV plan that has worked on a Treo 650, a Moto Q, a Q9c and now a Touch Pro. I had it for free until last month - not they charge me the full $10 (the only other "perk" I have is a 15% discount). I plan on waiting for the Pre to arrive, then wait a month or two and see how it might be added to my existing plan. I think once the rush dies down, long time customers could very well leverage their long time loyalty to get what you want in regards to adding a Pre to an exisitng non-SERO plan. I may be wrong, but stranger things have happened at Sprint. And it they don't, I am getting the new iPhone!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast