Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    http://www.precentral.net/sprin-plan...ply-everything

    I'm not saying the door is slammed shut, deadbolted, boarded up, and has a chest pushed up against it. I'm just saying they locked it and will be stingy with the keys.
  2. #2  
    Think it will probably be the case of "Sure, keep your SERO but not if you want the Pre". Good business decision, IMO. ATT and Verizon do not have such deals.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    It's a terrible business decision--particularly if Sprints wants to keep the customers already on SERO.

    I know, in time, I will have to change my phone from a Sero'd Centro to something more advanced. If I had the choice to retain Sero, I would stay with Sprint, no questions asked, and bought a Pre. Without the choice to stay with Sero, I would look around for the best possible phone--which means I'd really look closely at what the Pre offers vs. the new iPhone.

    With monthly prices rather close and the iPhone coming to verizon, it might be tough for Sprint to keep my business. I know I'm not alone in this way of thinking.
    Please - go do the math comparing apples to apples - or the same plan on each carrier. "Rather close" could mean $120/yr to $600/yr EXTRA depending on what you want/need. And I also suggest you try the iPhone before you buy to test the network where you use the phone the most. I can say it was an eye-opening experience for me as I still need to make quality calls. I am still with Sprint even though all of my special deals are gone and I am paying full price now.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    It's a terrible business decision--particularly if Sprints wants to keep the customers already on SERO. .
    Sprint wants to keep the customers who are on SERO but wants them off of SERO.

    It has been clear Sprint was going to do this with the Pre since January. Sprints involvement in the Pre announcement was verbatim script from Instinct announcement. Pre and Instict launches are ideital and radically different than the other 200 or so phone rollouts. Instinct was an attempt to move people to higher plans as well.

    From Sprints point of view this handet is not about selling handsets or innovation. It is about
    a) moving current sprint customers to higher priced plans
    b) stop losing sprint customers who are paying higher prices but going to iphone
    c) taking some of the ATT customers bothered by ATT's costs but willing to pay Sprint 80% of monthly fees they currently pay to ATT.
    d) grab back some Verizon customers

    It isn't that they don't care about SERO customer, it is that it is not worth it to give Pre to them since this defeats the primary reason for Sprint getting the Pre itself. It is off-message for reason "a"
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I am still with Sprint even though all of my special deals are gone and I am paying full price now.
    The special deals are not "gone" you can still have corp and emplyee discounts, loyalty discounts and some freebies.

    Without them Sprint is not as low priced as you think. You can;t compare them as if they are apples to apples. For example with ATT or Verizon you have twice as many "in network" callers which use none of your minutes.

    Sprint still needs to compete on price, they are still not up to par in many fronts, they are just gambling they can do it at 25% less as opposed to their prior 50% less
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The special deals are not "gone" you can still have corp and emplyee discounts, loyalty discounts and some freebies.

    Without them Sprint is not as low priced as you think. You can;t compare them as if they are apples to apples. For example with ATT or Verizon you have twice as many "in network" callers which use none of your minutes.

    Sprint still needs to compete on price, they are still not up to par in many fronts, they are just gambling they can do it at 25% less as opposed to their prior 50% less
    Loyalty discounts will also run out. OK, I lied, I do have an employee discount of 15% and my data is not full price (I still have the old $10 version). The in network thing is hard to ROI, IMO. I find that I pretty much have an equal split among all 3 carriers for the people I call. That one is hit or miss. So, I have compared and I still save even at full price.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Loyalty discounts will also run out. OK, I lied, I do have an employee discount of 15% and my data is not full price (I still have the old $10 version).
    Seriously Sprint has always always given some discoutns to customer who aks for them and have been with them a while and paid their bills. Discounts that "run out" are very often replaced.

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    The in network thing is hard to ROI, IMO. I find that I pretty much have an equal split among all 3 carriers for the people I call. That one is hit or miss.
    Respectfully that is not true for most users who have literally almost double the number of in network people if on ATT or Verizon.
    It simply a question of objective statistics, given Sprint has just over half the number of subscribers as the others. Verizon's new free ability to pick ten numbers outside the verizon network is also a very serious added value Sprint hasn't matched.

    For people on bucket minute plans you can't compare Sprints value directly since Sprint objectively gives you less due to the lower value of in network.

    I want to be careful becasue I don't want you to think I am saying Spritn is not a good value. It is. They just cannot competre by attempting to make it apples to apples. When you sing with a mobile carrier for two years you are a stakeholder in their future. Sprint simply does not have the same resources to maintain and technically advance their network. That also creates a lower value. They have paired down their service and support staffs as the result of steep finacical losses. All of th is is part of the picture.

    Again I think Sprint is wise not to offer Pre with Sero, and SERO custoemers shuold not expect it.

    But sprint has to be careful, lets not forget the objective fact: Sprint customers are leaving. sprint has been and is losing customers and ATT and Verizon, despite prices, are both gaining customers. This is because people don't see the same value in Sprint (rightly or wrongly) -- even at Sprints lower prices!
  8. #8  
    I think the wisest move would be for Sprint to offer SERO customers a way to purchase their new phones, with their same bennies they have now, but at a price somewhere in between the current SERO price and the Everything plans. This is a win-win. The SERO customers don't feel "jilted," even though much of it is perception rather than reality, because they are freely choosing to upgrade their cost package to get the newer phone, but still can think they are smarter than everyone else because they're getting it cheaper than most of the public. Its a win for Sprint because it moves the SERO customers, whom we all are presuming is either a financial net loss or break even customer for Sprint, to a higher revenue producing customer. While I follow the logic of everyone still getting a better deal with the Everything plans than other carriers, I think Sprint will lose a lot of those customers because of the very sense of entitlement that is spoken of here. However, Sprint has to take some responsibility for producing the SERO plan, offering it to the public, and creating that sense of entitlement. If they don't want to lose those customers, then in my opinion this is the most logical way for them to go. In a couple years they could increment the price up again such that it would then be in the same price range as the corporate discounts. That way they're not losing anything, they are being loyal to their loyal customers, and its a level playing field.
    All for One and One for All!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    I think the wisest move would be for Sprint to offer SERO customers a way to purchase their new phones, with their same bennies they have now, but at a price somewhere in between the current SERO price and the Everything plans.
    You mean something like Sprint Everything Plus Referral Program (The new SERO) which gives you 500 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else for $59.99?
  10. #10  
    No, I think that is too big a jump for some SERO plan folks (e.g. $30 plans would be doubled). I think the key to Apple's success with the iphone has been the psychological marketing that it has done. The problem for Sprint is that they have a large group of people on SERO and to only offer them a choice of more than doubling their price to get a better phone, is going to tick them off. The psychological impact would be the opposite of what has happened with the iphone phenom. These people really won't care that they still would be paying less with Sprint than at other carriers. Their feeling of entitlement is going to result in more impulsive reaction (and like it or not, Sprint helped create this situation). Therefore, I think its wisest, if they want to keep them as customers, to offer a better phone with same bennies, but to incrementally raise the price (every two years) until they get them close to the same price as everyone else. Some SERO folks will take the bait and go for the higher Everything plan so they can get the new toy, but I'm betting most won't (especially with this economy). They need to entice folks off of SERO, if they really want them off.
    All for One and One for All!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    It's a terrible business decision--particularly if Sprints wants to keep the customers already on SERO.

    I know, in time, I will have to change my phone from a Sero'd Centro to something more advanced. If I had the choice to retain Sero, I would stay with Sprint, no questions asked, and bought a Pre. Without the choice to stay with Sero, I would look around for the best possible phone--which means I'd really look closely at what the Pre offers vs. the new iPhone.

    With monthly prices rather close and the iPhone coming to verizon, it might be tough for Sprint to keep my business. I know I'm not alone in this way of thinking.
    I am a former Sprint employee as of last month, so I know a little something about this. Sprint does not make ANY money on the SERO plans, actually they lose money on every SERO plan out there. The plans are usually at or below the actual network cost, and on top of that, they are subsidizing new phones for you every 12 to 24 months for which they are not making any money back. Now, how do you figure that it is in Sprints best interest to bend over backwards for you to keep this plan and get another subsidized phone?

    I understand wanting to keep a great plan like the SERO plan, but they are going to do everything they can to get you off of it, and who can blame them...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    When you sing with a mobile carrier for two years you are a stakeholder in their future. Sprint simply does not have the same resources to maintain and technically advance their network. That also creates a lower value. [/B]
    Sprint is a little shorter on cash than some of the other companies right now due to the drop in stocks and recent customer losses, but they are turning that around. One thing most people don't realize when talking about resources is that Sprint bought up 10's of billions of dollars in SPECTRUM back in the 90's when the prices were very cheap. You know what spectrum is, it's that stuff needed to send data to our phones over the air. Guess who holds more than any other company?? So when the next gen data networks start rolling out (4G), guess who has the upper hand?

    Sprint also has the largest fiber optic backbone in the country (oh yeah, don't forget international). You don't hear Verizon or AT&T bragging about theirs do you? Can we say lightning fast data? Verizon is scrambling buying up small companies putting a national network together, but Sprint already has it. Verizon and AT&T will spend 10's of billions on network costs aquiring the needed spectrum to do 4G; Sprint already has it.

    So, when you say someone doesn't have the "resources" that the other companies have, you should do your homework first. Sprint has had a downturn in business the past couple of years due to a CEO that didn't know what he was doing, but their resources are all intact and are starting to fire on all cylinders again thanks to Hesse.

    I will now kindly step off of my soapbox...
  13. #13  
    Also, your statement that they won't be able to "technically advance their network" makes no sense, especially when they are the only one that has 4G up and running, and were also the first network with 3G. AT&T's 3G network is 1/3 the size of Sprints, I don't think they have even heard of 4G.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sds9977 View Post
    Now, how do you figure that it is in Sprints best interest to bend over backwards for you to keep this plan and get another subsidized phone
    You are forgetting that Sprint makes money on SERO, they don't lose money on it. Spint has the highest excess capacity in the business.

    Quote Originally Posted by sds9977 View Post
    Sprint is a little shorter on cash than some of the other companies right now due to the drop in stocks and recent customer losses, but they are turning that around.
    Little shorter? that is an understatement in the extreme! Turning customer losses around? No, they continue. Lol, lets deal in facts, not memos given to store works or phone reps.

    Why do you think the 4G promised in 2006 to be deployed by Sprint in some 40 or more cities "by 2007" is such a botch?

    Because they have been and continue to lose customers at an alarming rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by sds9977 View Post
    Also, your statement that they won't be able to "technically advance their network" makes no sense, especially when they are the only one that has 4G up and running, and were also the first network with 3G. AT&T's 3G network is 1/3 the size of Sprints, I don't think they have even heard of 4G.
    And why do you think Verizon and ATT cleaned their clock and continue to do so?

    You should study some history of Sprint. They also claimed years ago to have the first nationwide PCS network and just kept losing customers the last few years. Your claim that Sprint has the advantage becasue the other networks are "cobbled" toeghter is not a reason, it is a slogan -- and one made all the more ironic becasue they have been using that slogan during the entire time of their hemorrhage of customers.

    Sprint was the only wireless company to beg for part of the bailout (with a plea to get a few billion ofr an "emergency network")? Because they excess capacity is doing them no good, aren't making money on it. They have had excess capacity for a decade, what good has it done them?

    Again the prime the reason why the instituted Sero, and why it still is profitable, was and is because of their excess capacity
  15. #15  
    I really hope this dosent happen. Maybe they could charge a premium to use certain devices. I would pay $5-$10 a month extra (like blackberry) to use the palm pre.
  16. #16  
    [/QUOTE]Why do you think the 4G promised in 2006 to be deployed by Sprint in some 40 or more cities "by 2007" is such a botch?[/QUOTE]

    Are you cluless? Sprint never promised a 4G network in 40 cities by 2007. I should know, I worked on the network team that was doing the software upgrades. There was never a plan for that and that was never stated anywhere... I dare you to find a document or advertisement FROM SPRINT where this was stated or promised.



    [/QUOTE]And why do you think Verizon and ATT cleaned their clock and continue to do so?"[/QUOTE]

    Well, Verizon has cleaned everyones clock because they are owned by a foreign entity with a huge bank account that has bought up every small cellular company in the United States. Do you really think they have just been adding customer month after month and then got to 80 million by that alone? LOL They bought their customers by buying the network they were attached to. AT&T are doing quite well due to the Iphone, and that's pretty much it. Its a shame that Sprint turned the Iphone down initially and Apple had to go to AT&T which was their backup.


    [/QUOTE]You should study some history of Sprint. They also claimed years ago to have the first nationwide PCS network and just kept losing customers the last few years. Your claim that Sprint has the advantage becasue the other networks are "cobbled" toeghter is not a reason, it is a slogan -- and one made all the more ironic becasue they have been using that slogan during the entire time of their hemorrhage of customers.[/QUOTE]


    Study the history, I worked there for 9 years, I think I know it better than you. And they did have the first nationwide DIGITAL network, it was a slogan because they spent 10's of billions building it, from the ground up. Losing customers doesn't make this less true and it isn't ironic, look up the meaning of that word in a dictionary. What is ironic to me is that AT&T advertises the Iphone as a 3G messiah when they have the smallest 3G network in the country. Well, maybe bigger than crickets...


    [/QUOTE]Sprint was the only wireless company to beg for part of the bailout (with a plea to get a few billion ofr an "emergency network")? Because they excess capacity is doing them no good, aren't making money on it. They have had excess capacity for a decade, what good has it done them?

    Again the prime the reason why the instituted Sero, and why it still is profitable, was and is because of their excess capacity[/QUOTE]


    I don't recall Sprint "begging" for any bailout. They sent a proposal for money to be allotted for an emergency communication plan to be set up. Not money to be given to Sprint, money to set up an emergency system between all carriers in the event of another 911, devastating earthquake or hurricane. Sprint has been a huge responder in national emergencies supplying 1000's of free phones to help with disaster relief efforts. Sprint actually dispatches dozens of employess to disaster sites and they camp there until it's over. Supplying free phone service and cell phones to volunteers, victims and emergency teams.

    Excess capactiy in no way means the SERO plans are profitable. What are you smoking, do you even know what I mean by extra bandwidth? They have a ton of extra bandwidth (licensed frequencies from the FCC that they are able to broadcast on) that they bought back in the 90's for pennies. This is bandwidth they aren't currently using (but will be soon with 4G coming up). The SERO plans were initially started YEARS ago when people were only paying $40 a month for cell service and the service mainly consisted of voice and voicemail. Since then, the networks have greatly expanded to include a plethora of data. That is the reason the new friends and family referral plan price has been raised quite considerably.

    When Verizon and AT&T have to go start buying the bandwidth that is still available, and there isn't much left. They are going to spend a fortune on it. And I agree that Sprint isn't currently making money on that extra bandwidth, my point is that extra bandwidth is a huge asset and allows Sprint to build out their 4G network with much much lower costs than anyone else.
  17. #17  
    ...getting back on topic.

    If true, this is a deal breaker for me. I'll keep my 800W, and cross my fingers that when my current 2 year is up in August, they won't force me into a new plan.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  18. #18  
    I am curious as to the differences between the Instinct, and say the Touch Pro or Treo Pro, and why the Instinct(or the Pre for that matter) requires the more expensive plan(Everything Plan). Is it a hardware difference or just a decision that they should charge more?? It seems that they would both use data based on the user's usage of the phone.
    I guess I am trying to find the reasoning.
  19. #19  
    That reasoning is BUSINESS.

    Any business' goal is to turn a profit. It's all mathematics and marketing.

    Sprint isn't making a profit, so anything goes. They required Everything Plans for the Instinct because (a) ATT & Apple already did it, and (b) they knew they could do it too.

    If you were the CEO of Sprint and realized that you could save your company simply by following the other carriers' business models, wouldn't you? Or would you just wanna barely get by or keep doing worse? ... because that's what was happening up until NOW. (Hehe... Get it? I used now when talking about the Now Network!) We'll have to wait until the Pre's been out for a quarter or two to see what happens to Sprint's profit/loss statement.
  20. #20  
    A friend suggested that I call and ask if the Pre will be compatible with my SERO plan. I was told yes, it would be, and asked them to note so on my file.

    No idea if it will amount to anything, but hey...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions