View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 1 of 71 1234561151 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This Thread falls under the category similar to the "Predictions and Speculation" Sticky.

Some of the early posts in this thread may not reflect Palm's Final Decision regarding;
    'Possible Calling/Data Plans - Required/Not Required/Allowed/Not Allowed.'

Once the Pre is Officially Announced, Palm will most likely/definitely state;
    'Possible Calling/Data Plans - Required/Not Required/Allowed/Not Allowed.'

Thanks,
    Berd
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/24/2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    **If anyone disagrees or finds more information please post up here...i would love to hear everyones opinion**

This was taken off of palms website (http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html)
    A data plan is also required. Unlimited usage data plan strongly recommended or additional data charges may apply.
    A data plan required, NOT SE (although its suggested).

Taken off the Palm Pre-Sprint launch (http://now.sprint.com/pre/?id9=SEM_Google_C_Sprint_Pre)
    Data: A $0.03/KB charge applies without a data plan.
    You DO NOT need a data plan, but you should....(the $20 package for unlimited data)

thanks,

intro
    Last edited by intro; 01/09/2009 at 02:58 AM.
    Still depend on how Sprint sell the phone.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The samsung instinct's site had the notice of the SE plan from the time it was on the server...so I'm hoping for the best.
    i have some friends that i will call tomorrow and see if they know, they work for marketing w/sprint. as soon as i find out ill post because im eager to know
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    I hope we are able to keep the current plans we are on now. If I still have to be forced into SE...well..I will. Thats how much I want this device.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    While I don't know *anything* about Spirit's price plans - if anyone is planning to get an unlocked one of those in the future without a data plan - why bother? it's a cloud device? It would be like buying a car without wheels.
    OK. What's SE. I get data plan, but I'm lost on SE.
    simply everything (sprint's all inclusive, $99/month plan)
    simply everything (sprint's all inclusive, $99/month plan)
    Thanks. I pay for everything and the kitchen sink at Verizon, I guess Verizon should call it "pmp" the pay more plan.
    I think it's too early to say. They're saying "1st half of 2009" release. They needed a big event to showcase the phone and CES was it. Had there been some other big event in a couple of months, they probably would have waited to show it off. I'm guessing that we're talking about a release sometime between April and June, otherwise they would have said "1st quarter of 2009." So I'm guessing that they're still negotiating the final price of the device as well as whether to require linking it to a high-priced plan.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    In this video, around the 4:20 mark, what I assume to be a Sprint rep, only mentions Simply Everything plans.. bummer

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Evidence they will:
    First words thing emphased by Dan Hess from Spritns at the Pre pre release Press event: Average REvenue Per user.
    Second words out of his mouth: Simply Everything Plans
    Biggest problem for Sprint: too many people on lower priced plan culture Sprint had created in order to survive
    Have they done it before: yes Instict, the very last handset promoted by spritn as both network interdependent.
    Instinct also was the last only phone specifically promoted as an iPhone killer by Spritn in direct comparison

Evidence against: None
    In all respect to the OP he should check the Sprintusers site for threads on the Instinct., the same claims were made looking at footnotes etc.

Sprint tried this exact thing of forcing plan upgrades with Instinct in the past. There was an attempt also to do this with the WM palm. They ran into problems because people going directly from WM Treo 700wx were saying what the heck and 800w reviews and sales were not too good. (the BB never needed it because it was costing $30 a pop per month more anyway.)

Spritns gamepkan is celarly to use smartphoen sot puysh to higher priced palns. nothing eitehr secret or nefarious ther. If they are talking about it in press conferences and in quarterly reports then why disbelieve it?

Will they with the Pre? every indication is yes. Might they relent or not on their plans given market considerations in five months, which in the smartphone world is a lifetime? maybe.

The issue is not what is in the ever changing kitchen sink footnotes today.
    No way I'm gonna jump from $30/month to $99/month for roughly exactly the same service, even for a phone as awesome as this. SERO is the only thing that's kept me with Sprint for all these years of crappy customer service.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    In this video, around the 4:20 mark, what I assume to be a Sprint rep, only mentions Simply Everything plans.. bummer

He said there was going to be a "range" of SE plans for the Pre.
    That could mean you don't have to spend $100 for everything, for example, you could pay $50 for text, voice and data and pass on Sprint TV and GPS.
    I have a Slingbox and a Garmin GPS, I don't need Sprint TV or GPS on my phone.
    Just give me voice, text and data (well, NFL Mobile too).
    You should be able to pick the extras you want after basic voice.
    They will not force customers with multiple lines / shared minutes to the simply everything plan. For single lines in most cases SE makes sense. As long as you have a Power Vision plan on your account, you will be good to go for data. The only exception to that rule is Blackberry for which they charge an extra $25 per month.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    that Sprint will allow you to use those plans on?

I have an 800w and I believe they will just let us die on the vine in terms of not offering new phones for our plans.

One way or another Sprint will get rid of us through attrition vis a vie new smartphones for our cheap plans.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I just got off the phone with Sprint ACS/retentions and they said as far as they know their will not be a required plan. In regards towards what they did with the instinct retentions dept. was notified from the beginning about the SE requirement.
    im waiting for my friend to get to work and he said he would text me after he gets the answer from marketing....(hopefully they dont say its too early to know)
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    im just gonna throw this out there....i had a verizon 700wx with no data plan...
    i just got an 800w with the 69.99 unlimited everything but minutes(450) and it adds an entire new aspect to the phone having the internet at any time. i thought id use it here and there...but its takin over the place of my latptop...my reccomendation is get the plani did if u dont talk on as much...u get unlmited sprint tv, gps, internet, nfl mobile. think about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    They will not force customers with multiple lines / shared minutes to the simply everything plan. For single lines in most cases SE makes sense. As long as you have a Power Vision plan on your account, you will be good to go for data. The only exception to that rule is Blackberry for which they charge an extra $25 per month.
    Respectfully the the exception was the last Sprint iphone killer, the instinct.

If you followed the 800w release there were immediate hints thy might try it with the 800w because the second rebate language said rebates for the 800w implied that you need very specific plans.

Respectfully I think it has not been decided. It was implied strongly in the presentation. We won't know for months, they are probably wighing it now, and regardless they may start making exceptions as occurred in the past.

There is no doubt that Sprint sees this as pushing people to higher cost plans, they said it. How hard they push is a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsupergman25xx View Post
    im just gonna throw this out there....i had a verizon 700wx with no data plan...
    i just got an 800w with the 69.99 unlimited everything but minutes(450) and it adds an entire new aspect to the phone having the internet at any time. i thought id use it here and there...but its takin over the place of my latptop...my reccomendation is get the plani did if u dont talk on as much...u get unlmited sprint tv, gps, internet, nfl mobile. think about it...
    I would guess the average person here, because they use forums to understand packages, is paying $45 to $50 for what you have, not $70.

Sprint has to compete a lot on price given the network issues; and their third place standing vs ATT and Version; their history of poor customer service (albeit improving); perceptions, (right or wrong) that it is a third class call quality network; their ongoing hemorrhage of customers (much higher losses than ATT and Verizon; and even their failure to get a decent chuck of the business market.
Page 1 of 71 1234561151 ... LastLast