View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
    First of all I never meant for this to become some sort of heated flame war when I alleged scamming for certain plans. Obviously I pushed some button that went completely out of control. Cuz some of you are agueing over what I believe are comments I made. Which I retracted because I was corrected about my ignorance of the Sero craze. Please folks let's be adults and relax and have fun. We shouldn't be fighting amongst oursleves we should be figuring out what the best way to handle the worst case scenario of what if they forced me to change my plan for the phone that I want.

So lets see if we can look at the glass as half full.
    For those of you who use the old $30 Sero Plan you guys get 450 (pre perk) minutes right? The new Sero Plan (the VP of marketing one) is indeed $30 more but you also get 50 more minutes . So what would those extra minutes cost you if you went over, $20?. (Please ignore anything you've sprint has added to your plan for being a good customer, that should follow you if they truely care). Your Sero plan comes with a vision plan, but which one. It also comes with Navigation ($5). So it all depends on what vision plan Sero generally comes with to know which one is really the better deal. Obviously if the extra loyalty and good customer perks that were given to you don't carry over, it would suck.

What I'm saying is that for people without all kinds of perks the new Sero, might actually be better than the old.

I think the reason they requiring special plans for the Instinct is because if they didn't and people started using it without any dataplan there would probably be a class action suit because some ***** would say "well I didn't know it would cost me more to use these features". It's one of those CYA issues. Hell people sued them (well one of the cell providers) for the early termination fees which were spelled out in plain english and clear as day. In return you get a huge discount. I always felt that was fair. especially since they always end up changing one of the terms in your contract sooner or later thus giving you a way out.

Existing customer should be able to add the instict or whatever smartphone as long as they agree to carry an unlimited data plan (it's to the customers benefit to get the plan anyway) BTW Sprint isn't the only company that forces data plans on certain phones. Once again it's one of those CYA things.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Wrong again! Sero500 gets 500 minutes for $30. Extra 100 minutes is a $5 add on. 500 anytime minutes, unlimited M2M, 7pmN&W, SMS, and Data for 30 bucks. I get a corporate discount and I pay $25 bucks a month.
    I agree with the above poster. Let's keep this thing friendly. I really hope I can keep my $50 Sero but if not then decision is on me. I understand Sprint is a business and has to make money. At some point if they basically eliminate all new phones coming down the pike from renewing on my plan, I'll have to bite the bullet and either change plans or change companies.

Perhaps they'll throw us some loyalty discounts to soften the blow on the plan change to $10 to $20 difference. Unfortunately, 450 minutes is not enough for me as I would routinely go over. 900 minutes is probably fine but represents a $40/month increase.

I'm also waiting to see about battery life on the pre. if it sucks the juice and can't get through a day without charging. I'm off to the treo pro, or will pickup another 755p cheap from craigslist or ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Wrong again! Sero500 gets 500 minutes for $30. Extra 100 minutes is a $5 add on. 500 anytime minutes, unlimited M2M, 7pmN&W, SMS, and Data for 30 bucks. I get a corporate discount and I pay $25 bucks a month.
    Not wrong, obviously there are different ones for the same price. Sub 150 stated above that his plan had 450 minutes so I was using his figure.

You didn't answer me, what vision plan does it come with. Is it just unlimited data and sms does it not come with Sprint TV and Music (basic or premier). How about picture mail? Once you start adding all these extras up you might find that your not really losing anything and might be coming out ahead.

here's some more info. looks like the simply everything plans have data premier ($25) and unimited messaging ($20). so they are no longer called vision plans anymore.

FYI it's looking bad I just tested buying a Treo 755p online and it's forcing the the simply everything plans. It appears to be the case for all smartphones.
    Let me help you SedahDrol

I think most SERO plans fell into two categories

$30 - 500 minutes

$50 - 1250 minutes

both included unlimited data, most were power vision depending on your phone, included free M2M, free roaming, free nights and weekends starting a 7 p.m. and many like mine had unlimited text as well. Not sure about sprintv and gps nav. as I do use those items.

So none of the SE plans come close to stacking up

at

$70 for 450 minutes

$90 for 900 minutes

$100 for unlimited

now I suppose if your on the phone more than 1250 minutes a month not talking to other sprint customers, the $100 unlimited everything might eventually be appealing.

Now comparing sprint plans to the competition's current plans I'm sure they stack up nicely. I guess its just whatever you've been accustomed to paying will determine what type of value they perceive to be.
    thanks for the info. we now just need to know whether or not sprint or antyghing else is included.
    to be fair compare to the current Sero Plans are all SE plans 59.99 for 500 and 79.99 for 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Not wrong, obviously there are different ones for the same price. Sub 150 stated above that his plan had 450 minutes so I was using his figure.

You didn't answer me, what vision plan does it come with. Is it just unlimited data and sms does it not come with Sprint TV and Music (basic or premier). How about picture mail? Once you start adding all these extras up you might find that your not really losing anything and might be coming out ahead.

here's some more info. looks like the simply everything plans have data premier ($25) and unimited messaging ($20). so they are no longer called vision plans anymore.

FYI it's looking bad I just tested buying a Treo 755p online and it's forcing the the simply everything plans. It appears to be the case for all smartphones.
    Picturemail is included. See the thing about Sero is that they do not force you to add all the unnecessary bloat. If you want the premier package add 10 bucks, telenav? 10 bucks. Even then it only adds up to $50 and it doesn't force you to pay for all the stuff you won't use.

The only benefit I can see with the 69.99 plan is for blackberry users.
    Hey DarthPooh, MeyerWeb is not a bad guy (as I'm sure you aren't either). I'm hoping to soon see the day when you two kiss and make up! ;-) Seriously, it's just a phone. Yeah, we know Sprint wants to increase their ARPU, but we also believe they are going to want to reach their volume quotas with Palm in order to get a 6 month exclusive rather than just 90 days. I agree Sprint really would want to sell their customers the "don't worry" SE plan, and they might go as far as requiring it. Personally, I think they'll handle this by "selling it" to most people as "in the end it will be cheaper for you" rather than requiring it. I'm sure Sprint would like to get out of the trap of having their ARPU much lower than other carriers but many people would rather pay more on another network. They may hope to raise their ARPU by pushing SE (even if not required) to new users switching from other networks to get the cool Pre device. I'm not sure how much that will happen. Personally, I think they should offer the Pre at two pricing tiers. A really cheap price with a high ARPU and a more expensive price if you don't purchase the SE plan. I guess only time will tell!

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I just checked out precentral and it seems that dieter really thinks a simply everything plan is going to be required.

My contract is up in February. I'm going to wait for the Palm Pre, but like other SERO people if it requires simply double plans, it would have sucked to waste all that time when I could have gotten a Treo Pro.

Are any of you planning to get a Treo Pro and then upgrade to the Pre later? If the time comes and they say the Pre requires simply everything will you wait longer until they might relax that requirement or will you go Treo Pro or Touch Pro?

Just seeing what everyone else is planning if the worst case scenario occurs.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'd probably b*tch about it, get the pre with SE plan, then b*tch some more.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    That isn't worse case to me

Having a SE plan plus a $30 (or some other amount extra) for a Pre - data plan. That would suck... imo. Even tho the SE should be everything.
    i would keep my SERO and buy a Touch Pro.

an extra $30 bucks is not worth it for me, especically with the bad economy
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Someone on SprintUsers.com said they talked to a Sprint CS rep who said the Pre will not require a SE plan.
    I still think it's too early to know.
    First, let's get a price, then a release date. Plans will come after that I bet.
    and the reps there are saying it will.

Price is not the price unless you consider the plan requirements. There are going to be four or five different prices people pay.
    well this came from a sprint internal document which might suggest you'll need a simply everything plan:

Q: What Sprint-specific features will be available for Pre?
    Simply Everything plan: $99 plan that includes unlimited nationwide calling, texting, web browsing, GPS and more.
    Value: Simply Everything plansprovide a minimum savings of $960 over Verizon and AT&T over 2 years.
    Ready Now: Sprint's in-store user experience that provides one-on-one training and assistance to set up and demonstrate a customer's phone before leaving the store.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i will get it.
    get it
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I'm not willing to pay $30+ more a month. I'd get the Touch Pro and be disappointed.
    AAs far as Sero goes it's intended for people who actually know a person working for sprint. Just because everybody and his brother managed to figure out the fact that the people answering the phones don't truely care to check and see if this is true doesn't make it any more right to do so. But it's human nature to scam.
    Sero was originally intended as for people who know someone at Sprint. It was then changed into a viral marketing campaign to mean anyone and everyone.

The huge SERO ballon was intended. It was intended for people who knew no one and it was intended as a way to keep existing customers

Sprint employees even switched to existing users who were thinking of switching carriers, so the idea that it wasn't meant of existing customers is wrong.

Without SERO sprint would have millions less customers. Huge amounts of wireless carrier overhead costs are relatively fixed compared to other types of products. Costs do not move up in a direct relationship with subscriptions.

Throwing around "scam" is like claiming taking a dis****s at a car dealership is a "scam."

It is a referral program. Referral programs are about getting free adverting by word of mouth ahd incentives and nets market share at the expense of your competitors, and customers with lower acquisition costs due to lower paid marketing needs.

Sprint could be said to have saved $200 on each of the SERO customers because it estimates and over $300 per customer start up costs, only a fraction of which is subsidy ($14 average for US carriers is subsidy cost according to experts comparing actual importation stated costs to reported post sales income of handsets by the subsidizing companies.)

It would be naive in the extreme to think that Sprint doesn't monitor it signups, how it gets them in real time, in the case of sero how many are coming from the VP of sales through his email, and whether that single individual knows personally a couple of million people
    what vision plan does it come with. Is it just unlimited data and sms does it not come with Sprint TV and Music (basic or premier). How about picture mail? Once you start adding all these extras up you might find that your not really losing anything and might be coming out ahead.

Picture mail was important like five years ago and is important on dumb phones. you can email your pictures on any smart phone without that feature. It is for most people with smart phones a vestige.

You don't need data "premier". Unlimited EVDO is free or $5 or $10 for many people. That's unlimited web, unlimited sending of pics and videos through a zillion email clients.

Things like sprint TV are zero to not much value to a lot fo people.

The core values are unlmited text and unlimited EVDO. they are present on plans as low as 30 dollars.
    You can be sure they are present on millions and millions of plans between $30 and $70.
    you are correct not a scam but viral marketing