View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1858636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1415
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    No one knows for sure, but I'm sure I will be able to get sero on my pre.... I would not worry about it...
    No one knows for sure, but you are sure you'll get your SERO activated on a Pre?

How come? Why are you sure of this when you say no one knows for sure? All of the evidence so far suggests you will not be successful in doing so.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    No one knows for sure, but you are sure you'll get your SERO activated on a Pre? How come? Why are you sure of this when you say no one knows for sure? All of the evidence so far suggests you will not be successful in doing so.
    He has some questionable pictures of Rubenstein and Hesse taken in Mexico. Or he's a "super premium customer" or something...

No, in all seriousness, he "thinks" Sprint will allow SEROs to get PREs. Here's what he wrote elsewhere in this forum:

Quote Originally Posted by theog
    To be honest, I'm not worried one bit about being able to use my sero with the pre... I'm positive that I won't have trouble activating sero on my pre....

Why? I don't think the instink went as well as sprint planned... plus, they want to push this phone out... palm knows about sero... it would be a bit mess if they did not allow sero....

Call me a fool, but I really believe sprint is going to do the right thing with this phone and not play too much with plans. They need this phone to be a success... as much as palm does....
    So theog, I do call you a fool. Actually, a Pre-village *****.
    Last edited by haydur; 05/12/2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    That blog article was simply a scan of a page of rate plans that Sprint offers and their corporate discounts, it wasn't Pre-specific. The "Palm Pre Data Plans" caption below the image was inserted by the blogger and is not part of the rate plan document.

I'll wait for an official announcement from Sprint before I make a decision to get the Pre, and it really all depends on the plan pricing.
    They did have that post but this is the one I was thinking of:

Palm Pre Monthly Service Plans « Inside Sprint Now

They could change the policy beforehand or even after they announce it. I don't see that being the case, but I do believe there's the possibility they revisit sometime after the release. I'm sure they'll be hearing quite an earful from existing customers who are unaware of the plan change requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Which one of you signed a contract for the Pre?
    I read over my original contract with Sprint. Perhaps yours is different, but I don't see anywhere on there that ties it to a specific device.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I do not think SERO customers deserve Pre but I don't think your statement is exactly accurate.

I have seen prior Spirnt announcements exactly like that in the past and they are referring to people getting new plans, not to people on existing plans.

I had zero problem placing an instinct for my kid on an existing but no longer avoidable to new sign-ups Friends and Family plan despite identical language.

I think a lot will depend on your length of term and other metrics of value to Sprint.

And I think you are forgetting that Sprint has always allowed people to continue existing plans and renew them at contract price despite them no longer being available to new sign ups -- and has jury rigged things to acomidate good customers. Also they over and over claim they will no longer offer discoutns and then break that pledge over and over.

By the way I posted on the same day as the announcement of the Pre in January that Hesse was signaling everything plans would be required for new signups. It is clearly their signaled intent as far back as January to use Pre to push lower ARPU customers up.

But Sprint's numbers have sunk even further since then -- and it just depends on market considerations. If Spirnt CDMA pre supply moves ahead of demand, lots of things will be done, including possibly people on SERO getting it. If Pre availability is lower than demand, due either to slow production, or Sprint knocking one out of the park and becoming competitive once again, then they will hold steady on their up selling plans and perhaps extend that to other top handsets as well.
    Thanks Aero, I'm just catching up on the thread now and am glad to see there are cases where the Instinct was activated on non-EP's. I've read claims of it but never really came across any that seemed valid. Did you do your upgrade over the phone or in store and how much persistence did it take?
    Last edited by Darrion88; 05/12/2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Well here is my take, i been with sprint since 1999!

I have a very OLD 300 minute plan, with free incoming, unlimited data, messaging, pics, etc. for $50/mo. i also have a OLD sero 500 mins, unlimited everything for $30/mo.

I just want to upgrade the free incoming plan to the Pre.. not the other sero line.

both phones have been out of contract for over a year. i plan to drop both lines and switching to 1 line with ATT if i can't get the Pre with sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Awww shucks, now you've hurt my feelings.

But hey, since you asked "so nicely" - here's an example:

Grandma: I don't think I should have to pay this bill. I know I signed a contract, but it was my grandson that ran them up.
    Rep: How did he get your phone.
    Grandma: I gave it to him when his got turned off.
    Rep: Why did his get turned off?
    Grandma: Because he ran up an $8,000 bill and refused to pay it.
    Rep: Why did he refuse to pay it
    Grandma: Because his friend Darrion88 said it wasn't fair.

You know, it's kind of funny, you offer up a made up story, with no details, and deride me for not expressing an opinion.

However, I'll give you two real life stories that are somewhat similar. My daughter (15 at the time) and my step-daughter (also 15 at the time) both went on out of town trips one summer. My step-daughter to her fathers home in NY (we live in TX), and my daughter with friend to CO. This was 11 years ago, before the prevalence of "free long distance". Neither of them understood that when their friends called them, not only did they get charged out of network fees, they paid long distance charges on the phone.

My step-daughter's bill was for $1100, my daughter's for $460 (she wasn't gone as long).

Both girl were devistated, and thought we were going to kill them. We didn't. We paid the bill, and told the the amount we expected them to pay us each week until it's paid back. Both got jobs immediately (at the same Sonic drive in). Both paid us back fully. Both have turned into fine young ladies.

It never occurred to us to somehow claim it wasn't fair that we should have to pay over $1500 (plus our regular phone charges). We just did it.

Go figger.
    Haha, you never let me down Parsons. Here's the 'made up story':

6 Confessions Of A Former Sprint Sales Rep

The gentleman who wrote the post is still an active member of digg and can provide you with all the answers to your questions for your full comprehensive analysis.

That's a very nice story you tell about your daughters and I trust in you knowing the details of the situation felt that they were fully culpable for their actions and should be held responsible. Since then the wireless industry has changed drastically. Where most carriers were once regional, coverage was limited and the wireless market was just beginning to break out, the idea of a $99 unlimited voice, etc. plans were unheard of. Carrier costs were clearly much different than they are today.

If you'd tell me this story in circa 2009 I'd tell you you should call that wireless company, explain to them the situation and discuss a mutually agreeable solution. In an age where the top end voice plan costs $99 there is no excuse for having a $1,500 bill in phone calls. Doesn't matter what's in the contract, doesn't matter what's legal to do at the time, predatory practices still occur and they pray on the weakest of society, even children like your daughters. You can teach them to be careful, teach them to do the right thing, but when you get hit with the bill, not everyone has a father that can pay off those bills when they come and hold them over till they can pay it off.

My position on this has been and is Sprint is making a mistake asking for existing users to change plans. Between my employer discount and getting a shared everything plan I'd be looking at a $40 a month for the same plan I get now if I find two others to join me on Sprint (Lot had trouble finding just 1 person under easier parameters) and I'd be paying less than I do on my current one. I'd prefer not to go through the hassle and from an investor's standpoint wouldn't be pleased that their plans wouldn't accommodate someone in my position, or like in another post, would ask a current user to add data and text to all their lines, etc. From an observer's perspective a lower cost plans (like SERO) an add on fee of maybe $10 to cover added features) or a higher price for the handset would make sense (no rebate, etc.) I'd like to think my position on this is the middle ground on the matter, but what's stood out to me all throughout this debate isn't people wanting to keep their old plans, but the tone, the condescension and the short sightedness of the solution. I certainly hope Aero's post (on another thread) regarding Sprint setting a policy but not adhering to it is true, but better than that would be to see them set the right policy from the start. It's in everyone's best interest to see Palm and Sprint succeed and for that you need plans that work for everyone. I fully agree the Everything Plans are a good alternative to what's out there. it looks like real competition is coming from AT&T and TMobile and I'm sure they'll have to adjust, however, we need good options for non-EP users. I don't see the current proposal being adequate.

For those seeking a glimmer of hope on the issue, if exceptions have been made on the Instinct, then I'm confident the same can and will be done on the Pre. Policy will be enforced for the first months as the device is popular but ultimately they'll open it up after that demand wanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    Haha, you never let me down Parsons. Here's the 'made up story':

6 Confessions Of A Former Sprint Sales Rep

The gentleman who wrote the post is still an active member of digg and can provide you with all the answers to your questions for your full comprehensive analysis.
    Uh, I looked at the link, and didn't see the details. I'll pass thanks, since you've already stated your opinion that there's no justification for it.

Yes, you've stated your opinion very clearly, several times. It doesn't matter the contract, an it doesn't matter what's legal. It apparently doesn't even matter that the company is losing money. What matters is that you want what you want.

Believe me, I understand. Completely.
    Uh, I looked at the link, and didn't see the details. I'll pass thanks, since you've already stated your opinion that there's no justification for it.

Yes, you've stated your opinion very clearly, several times. It doesn't matter the contract, an it doesn't matter what's legal. It apparently doesn't even matter that the company is losing money. What matters is that you want what you want.

Believe me, I understand. Completely.
    Vision problems at your age? A shame.

So where in your contract does it specify your phone being tied to it? And when you've upgraded, where was the revision. How have you determined that it's not 'legal' if Sprint allows you to keep the phone with your old plan? Some companies, like Circuit City, Chrysler, GM and quite possibly like Sprint make large enough mistakes they can't dig their way out of it. Under your justification, Sprint can charge $100 or $1,000 for a monthly contract and hey that's fine if they want to do it. Doesn't make it any smarter of a decision. But if you want to read that as 'I want what I want', go right ahead. Keep on thinking you understand completely, nothing proves my point further than your certainty.
    There's on other option, of course.

Give the SERO line to someone else in your family, and use a new plan with the Pre if you must have it.

I called a Sprint rep and was told I'd be able to upgrade to a Pre even though I had SERO. I asked them to note the account. Now, it still may not work, but if it doesn't... no big.

Heck, I'm still eligible for a big upgrade regardless. Maybe I'll get a Touch and slap Android on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    So theog, I do call you a fool. Actually, a Pre-village *****.
    LOL... your childish antics... creating 100 "SERO no pre" threads.... then you want to call names... that is cool.

I'm simply looking her for information on products... no time really to devote to the kids anymore.

But if you want to keep spreading misinformation as if it were fact, go right ahead... you don't add nothing but confusion to the Pre launch.

People like you keep things going, so carry on...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    No one knows for sure, but you are sure you'll get your SERO activated on a Pre?

How come? Why are you sure of this when you say no one knows for sure? All of the evidence so far suggests you will not be successful in doing so.
    It is just like everything else with sprint... you get what you ask for... you put yourself in a position to negotiate in your favor.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    That's one of the few balanced (in my opinion) views on the subject. However, while not alone, I don't think your view is held by many (if not most) of the SERO plan holders (and even holders of other discount plans). It seems to me that there is a consensus that they should be able to continue with the old plan on the new phone.
    I haven't seen that attitude in evidence by the SERO folks, but I do see the non-SERO folks commonly accusing the SERO folks of what you're claiming. I have SERO, and I think most of us hold the following simple opinions on the matter:
    1) Sprint hasn't come out and said explicitly that SERO users can't buy a pre and keep their SERO plan. Note that I wouldn't expect them to talk about SERO publicly anyway, so this doesn't mean much. But the point is that until the pre becomes available and the first SERO users call in to order/activate it, we won't know for sure. So threads like this one are premature/ignorant and seem purposed only to stir up arguments.
    2) SERO is a great deal, and if we had to give it up to get a pre, it would require a considerable amount of consideration. For some of us, it might mean that we would prefer to keep what we have or buy some other Sprint phone and keep SERO. The pre-fanboy mentality of many in the forums apparently consider that heresy.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The arguments in this thread are a great read
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Well almost (in reference to the title of this post) ....

I called Sprint today to see if i could use my power-pack 450 plan in conjuction with the Pre. The woman got very detailed about how I needed to have a simply everything 450 plan which was about $15 more a month than i pay now, or i could go for the simply everything $99 plan but that my power-pack plan would not work because they have terminated those plans as of recent ....

I got pretty heated and said so in order to use the Pre i couldn't use my existing plan even though i have all thats included already in the simply everything plan?!? I explained i have been a sprint customer for over 6yrs and that i didnt need to stay i could very easily go over to AT&T and get the iphone lol ...

The rep said hold on lemme check with my supervisor since we only had our training and info sessions on the pre just yesterday 5/13 ..
    She came back and said good news your plan will be accepted as long as you upgrade to a new 2yr and get the Pre ... Interesting i thought.

Also no price or release date, i tried ...
    I hope this is true. I also have the unlimited data/text pro pack and would love to not have to switch.
    I hope you got the rep to note that in your account.
    Interesting.
    Hope for SERO subs?
    Hmm?
    It still won't work if it requires an everything plan

I had the same thing happen when I was with Sprint, I made them note my account that I could use the instinct on my plan without having an everything plan if I reupped (which the rep was more than willing to keep saying) even though I explained how most people said you couldn't. When it came out, guess what, I couldn't. I had also made her notate my account that if I couldn't, the new 2 year contract is void so I left.
    If it requires me to change my plan that thats bogus for just about anyone in my position because it means Sprint is trying to short change the little people ..
    No one is saying i have to change my plan and i could buy any phone and still use my plan but if i want to use the Pre than im forced to change and pay more a month, cmon how many people would actually buy the pre still if you had to pay an extra $15 or more a month just to get service on it .. wow
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I am in the same boat. i have an old free incoming plan with 300 outgoing minutes, unlimited internet, text, etc.. i also plan to cancel if i cant get the pre. i am currently out of contract, but willing to renew to get the pre.

could you imagine how many people are on OLD plans? they're going to have A LOT of angry customers if they force you to upgrade to an "EVERYTHING" plan when you already have everything!

I've been with sprint since 1999 and have been a loyal customer, but will cancel in a heartbeat if they force me to change plans when i already have a plan with everything included..

Sprint will probably do the smart thing and do what's right if they want people to stay as a customer otherwise sh*t is going to hit the fan when they see how many legacy customers there are wanting to get the phone..
    Thank the iphone and (baffling) nationwide rampant iphone fever for making all carriers consider the viability of the tactic of shoving higher monthly rates down customers throats just to use a certain phone.

I still have faith sprint won't be that stupid with the pre though.