View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14545960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1415
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Here're the options for SERO customers:

Option 1: Don't get it!
    What do you like more, money or the Pre? You can't have both. Pre will not work with SERO. (Now some may want to argue that, but I am going by this assumption and you can't stop me.) Anyway, back to the point: do you want to keep your precious $30 a month plan with 500 minutes and unlimited everything? Do you really need a new phone? Think about it rationally for a second. The Pre is just a gadget, no matter how cool it seems, at the end of the day, it's just a gadget.

Option 2: Go Corporate...
    So if you've made up your mind to get the Pre, here's how you save money: get a corporate discount. There's already comprehensive threads here and on Slickdeals.net (Can't find 'em? Just Google "Sprint Corporate Discount"). You can save up to 27%. You can actually search for corporate discounts by attaching a company name next to sprint.com, i.e. sprint.com/citigroup (BAM! 27% off) So that would give you around 17 to 18 bucks off the $69.99 plan. Not as good as SERO, but not that bad either. But this plan will be with 450 minutes, not 500. If you want 500 minutes, the best option is the new SERO, or ERP which is $60 (Corporate discounts don't apply.) Here's another thing, how can Sprint verify that you are associated with an organization if not all of them offer email accounts (i.e. PTA, Credit Unions etc.)? You can simply use the related URL and order online and get the discount... (Again, I'm not sure on this one, but doesn't hurt to try.) P.S. Don't forget to use the "SAVE50" coupon at checkout to get a $50 invoice credit.

Option 3: Sell Your SERO!
    You can transfer your SERO out. To anybody. And make money. There are sites out there where you can offload your contract such as CellSwapper.com. Usually the way it works is that the contract holders offer their used phone and/or may be $50 to the person who wants to take over. But wait, we're talking about the coveted SERO here. Believe it or not, people will PAY YOU to take over your plan. As a test, I posted my SERO on these sites with the condition that the person who takes over my plan will have to PAY ME $200 first, and guess what? I get 2 to 3 offers a week. People know the value of this plan. This is the best way to make back some of the extra cost of your new Pre-induced subscription charges. (The transfer is simple, you call Sprint and get your account marked for a takeover; the other person calls, and if they qualify credit-wise, they takeover your commitment. Simple.)

Option 4: Don't get it!
    Yes. Again. This is just another reminder that the Pre is just a gadget; a phone. Is it worth paying $25 to $35 bucks more every month? Is it worth doubling your current cellphone bill? Think about it...
    I'll pick the missing option #5... I will get my pre with my $50 SERO plan....

Thanks!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I actually qualify for my company's 25% discount. But when I saw the URL for our discount, I just went and tried all major US corps. and almost all of them have Sprint pages with varying discounts. Yes, I am not sure how they will verify, since there is no field for employee ID or anything.

Usually, you need to know your companies unique discount code, but since you are already on the webpage, I don't think they need to know the code. May be they will verify your email after you place the order. But that's a BIG may be, because like I said, there's associations like the PTA or Credit Unions that don't issue email accounts to members.
    I work for a hospital, but it seems they don't recognize my email suffix. I will certainly try bridging to that citigroup one. Otherwise, I'll just bite the bullet and go for everything data.
    You can login to the new SERO/ERP site (sprint.com/SERO) with the following credentials:
    Employee Email: Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com
    Last three digits: 383

FYI, there is no 1250 minute SERO anymore. There is a 1000 minute plan for $79.99.
    Thanks OP. Now I need to call Sprint and look at my monthly activity for the last year or so to see if I constantly dialed over 1000 mins. If so, then I will have to pay the extra $20 for the $99 Everything plan.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I'll pick the missing option #5... I will get my pre with my $50 SERO plan....
    Thanks!
    Yes good luck with that. Unless you mean your $59.99 ERP...
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDynasty View Post
    Thanks OP. Now I need to call Sprint and look at my monthly activity for the last year or so to see if I constantly dialed over 1000 mins. If so, then I will have to pay the extra $20 for the $99 Everything plan.
    You can do that on Sprint.com. They actually have a pretty neat tool that charts your previous usage and gives you some statistics.
    Yes good luck with that. Unless you mean your $59.99 ERP...
    No ERP...

Sure I'll have my pre with my sero plan... no issues.

If the rest of you "upgrade" to ERP, have fun!!!

No luck needed... not that hard and no need to cheat sprint or anyone else...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    No ERP...

Well if it went anything like my last phone upgrade...

Tried to buy in store but the guys were complete morons and couldn't figure out how to sell me the phone. I kid you not. So I go home, online, and simply buy a new one through the SERO store and it gets swapped out automatically, same plan.

The only really weird thing is that sprint.com still shows my phone as the first phone I had when I started the SERO plan.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Legally I think you're safe; you enter into a contract, pay the ETF, your contract is fulfilled. Read the contract carefully but that's pretty standard, as long as you don't try to get out of the ETF fraudulently. Sprint may not let you have two separate accounts on one SSN, by the way; I don't know.

That assumes that you can't buy a Pre on eBay for $450 (or whatever, ETF+purchase cost).

Practically I suspect if you wait until November or December or after the release of the Touch Pro 2 (whichever comes later), you'll be able to convince someone to do it, but probably you'll have to call and try to work over a few CSRs and/or work with someone in the Sprint store.

Unlike the rest of precentral, I'm not convinced that SERO users cost Sprint money any more than anyone else, and I think they are more loyal and more inclined to recommend Sprint than other customers. That's worth something (goodwill) that shows up on the balance sheet, and I don't think Sprint wants to have to take a big loss on that front for the sake of $15/month. (Sprint Premier is a nod to this concept, though I don't think it's lived up to its potential yet.) [I'm not saying I think the Pre will be available to SERO users straight up and immediately, but no company wants to lose loyal customers.]

And yes, it is against FCC regulations, and you will potentially be fined and/or jailed, to use a device with a changed ESN; I know that's not what the OP suggested but I just wanted to make sure that was out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    [I'm not saying I think the Pre will be available to SERO users straight up and immediately, but no company wants to lose loyal customers.]
    People who like Apple products and buy them faithfully with little thought to the price premium = Loyal customers.

People who are only on Sprint because of SERO and want prices to never raise while they enjoy the newest handsets subsidized by customers paying for Everything plans = Anything BUT loyal customers
    Legally I think you're safe; you enter into a contract, pay the ETF, your contract is fulfilled. Read the contract carefully but that's pretty standard, as long as you don't try to get out of the ETF fraudulently. Sprint may not let you have two separate accounts on one SSN, by the way; I don't know.

That assumes that you can't buy a Pre on eBay for $450 (or whatever, ETF+purchase cost).

Practically I suspect if you wait until November or December or after the release of the Touch Pro 2 (whichever comes later), you'll be able to convince someone to do it, but probably you'll have to call and try to work over a few CSRs and/or work with someone in the Sprint store.

Unlike the rest of precentral, I'm not convinced that SERO users cost Sprint money any more than anyone else, and I think they are more loyal and more inclined to recommend Sprint than other customers. That's worth something (goodwill) that shows up on the balance sheet, and I don't think Sprint wants to have to take a big loss on that front for the sake of $15/month. (Sprint Premier is a nod to this concept, though I don't think it's lived up to its potential yet.) [I'm not saying I think the Pre will be available to SERO users straight up and immediately, but no company wants to lose loyal customers.]

And yes, it is against FCC regulations, and you will potentially be fined and/or jailed, to use a device with a changed ESN; I know that's not what the OP suggested but I just wanted to make sure that was out there.
    I agree with all of that. Loyal customers will far out way the nonsense of Sprint losing money on the SERO plans.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I have to agree. I use about 100 anytime minutes and 50MB of data per month. I've called customer service maybe once a year. There's no way that costs Sprint anywhere close to $30 a month.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    The problem with #2 is a lot of us are doing that right now with SERO

We'll be upgrading to a Shared Everything Family Plan once forced to switch
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products

I think its interesting that you mentioned goodwill. It most definitely helps the image of Sprint having customers that speak well of the company.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I think you unnecessarily trivialize the value of "$15" a month. Assuming it is "$15" but it could be more depending on which other plan the person would get, this amount gets multiplied by the amount of users. I think a fair underestimate of Sprint 45 or 50 million users might be the 1 million have Sero (and many more have very cheap grandfathered in plans and deductions). This comes out to $15 million in losses a month or $180 million a year. Doesn't seem like chump change for me. Don't get me wrong, I love sero and I've had it for the past two years. But if Sprint wants people to get rid of it for the new phones, especially the Pre where I'm sure you'll use more than your 100 anytime and 50mb a month, I see nothing wrong with that. People need to enjoy what they had and move on, or find a new company. I think people will be suprised to find that even without sero, sprint's other plans are a much better value than any other company. So I don't see too many running off if sero is gone.

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Wow... the lack of integrity among this group is despicable. You don't qualify for the corporate discount UNLESS you work for the company. It's not about you WANTING the discount, you don't qualify. Just like SERO... I would bet that 90% of the people on SERO never even knew a Sprint employee personally but rather found their "referral" online. The sense of entitlement is disgusting and shameful. I'm all about finding great deals, but dishonesty is unacceptable.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Wow... the lack of integrity among this group is despicable. You don't qualify for the corporate discount UNLESS you work for the company. It's not about you WANTING the discount, you don't qualify. Just like SERO... I would bet that 90% of the people on SERO never even knew a Sprint employee personally but rather found their "referral" online. The sense of entitlement is disgusting and shameful. I'm all about finding great deals, but dishonesty is unacceptable.
    It must be lonely up there on that pedestal.

I got into SERO because a guy who worked for Sprint that was a member at Howard Forums sent me a private message with his personal contact and offered me to join after having participated in some discussions with him on their forums.

It was advantageous, yes, but hardly dishonest. He was a real employee who really referred me. For all I know he was planted by Sprint and was paid commissions for new subscribers. Who knows.

As for citigroup, I asked what I did precisely because without a more secure route to verify identity, a simple public domain backdoor to a 27% discount seemed like a bad idea from a business point. It is ripe for the picking-- even easier to gain access to than SERO ever was. Never said I was going to do it. I'd like to get a discount from my hospital, but I think they have some sort of special through t-mobile only. I will likely just get the Everything Data plan-- at least it will qualify me for Sprint Premier.
    I gave up my SERO for my blackberry.

But I also get a pretty good discount through Disney that puts me below the ERP amount plus I can still pull the occaional discount.

Plus i'm a premiere customer.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    It must be lonely up there on that pedestal.

I got into SERO because a guy who worked for Sprint that was a member at Howard Forums sent me a private message with his personal contact and offered me to join after having participated in some discussions with him on their forums.

It was advantageous, yes, but hardly dishonest. He was a real employee who really referred me. For all I know he was planted by Sprint and was paid commissions for new subscribers. Who knows.

As for citigroup, I asked what I did precisely because without a more secure route to verify identity, a simple public domain backdoor to a 27% discount seemed like a bad idea from a business point. It is ripe for the picking-- even easier to gain access to than SERO ever was. Never said I was going to do it. I'd like to get a discount from my hospital, but I think they have some sort of special through t-mobile only. I will likely just get the Everything Data plan-- at least it will qualify me for Sprint Premier.
    Pedestal? Are you serious... honesty is now something to be ashamed of? I hope you don't live your life like that.

If you read my post, you'll find out it didn't apply to you. I was referring to those that Googled their "referral". The person you used had given you permission, how many SERO plan owners can claim that?

Obviously I'm not a realist if I believe people should be trusted to do the right thing...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    No ERP...

How are you going to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Lol...I guess someone wasn't around when Sprint made the SERO plan available to the public.

Nothing wrong with honesty...but << edited by berd >> you know all the ins and outs about how everyone got their plans.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/10/2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Personal Insult