View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Called back in summer 07 and got texting on SERO for free . $30 a month.

70 is a major step for a college kid like me who pays his own plan. I have a 700p... had it for 21 months... no real problems. Had to do a hard reset once but other than that its my original phone. Its just not worth it to upgrade plans when I could get a HTC touch pro or just wait it out out of contract.

My experience with sprint is that if you call enough times you're likely to get someone who is nice enough or smart enough to give you want you want. There will be people that have a Pre on SERO even if sprint doesn't allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    This is too funny.
    I just got a call from Sprint, whether I'm happy with my service and if I have any questions.
    So I ask the rep about the Pre and whether it will need the SE plan and I would have to ditch SERO.
    She said, yes, it will most likely require the SE plan because it's a smartphone and uses data.
    I still think it's not a done deal, wouldn't have Sprint announced it at the CES that the Pre must be used with a SE plan?
    But after watching Hesse's eyes light up with $ and ARPU talk and seeing the video of a Sprint rep saying it would be used with a "range" of SE plans, I'm feeling that SERO users won't be able to keep their plans and get the Pre.

I would say that Sprint employee definately does not have a clue, because I am on SERO plan with a smartphone that uses data with no problem. Like you said, I believe it has not been finalized on the SE/no SE plans yet. All I can say is if they dont require SE, they will definately have many more takers. I will be a nervous wreck until they announce the pricing/requirements. lol
    I have both SERO and unlimited SMS thanks to people who generously posted factual information on this forum. Let's continue to share info as it becomes available.
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    499 base? If thats true thats a bargain. I looked at some phones yesterday and they were in the 600-700 range.
    Well, the rumors now are $399 base and $199 contract, or $499 base and $249 contract, now, IIRC.

That post wasn't speculation, it was a suggestion.

The most expensive base price that Sprint has is for the 800w, at $599. It's $249 with contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Well, the rumors now are $399 base and $199 contract, or $499 base and $249 contract, now, IIRC.

That post wasn't speculation, it was a suggestion.

The most expensive base price that Sprint has is for the 800w, at $599. It's $249 with contract.
    Actually I'd read that the rumor was $499 base and $199 or $399 base and $149.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5129126/palm-pr...vion-after-all
    It would be almost double for me. I still have the $39 plan I got with my Handspring Prism that includes unlimited data. After fees, taxes, and such I pay around $55 a month. So I would assume that with a SE I would be paying at least $85 a month or around $30 more a month. Which for me makes it a deal breaker if SE is required. And the 700p that I have now maybe better suited to my needs in any case. I will just have to wait until more information is available. And most likely I will do as I have done in the past and wait until it has been out a while and lets other do the "beta" testing.
    Ah, my bad. (And that's why rumors are bad, they get corrupted easily. )
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I've always had a stock Sprint plan. I has paying around $35/mo till I got my Treo, then (according to Sprint) I had no choice but to go to the "Everything Data" plan for $69.99! Screwed big time! I used internet on my previous phone, so why do I have to pay double when I get a new phone? They have me by the short ones... Last carrier with Treo 755p and first w/Pre - what choice is there?
    Scott_L: Should've spoke to retentions, then. You might've even squeezed out a lower price on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxblitzrx View Post
    I was really considering the PRO too. Did you do any homework on the plans for that phone? I think I'll definitely do the same if I can't do SERO + Pre
    Any homework on the Pro plan would be just speculating, just like all this guessing what the Pre plan is going to look like. At least we should find out pretty soon on the Pro. If they require the SE plan on it, you can bet the Pre will also require it. I believe they will kill themselves (Sprint, not Palm) if that happens, because the smartphone market is only going to get bigger and they will loose the average family who don't want to spend $99 a month per phone line.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Also on Sero, and would stick with my 755p if I can't get the Pre. I suppose I might look at the Pro, but I really didn't want to have to go to WinMO. Maybe a Touch Pro, but I heard battery life is a real issue.
    I've recently changed my plan from a 1400 family share plan ($89.99) to the 1500 Everything Data Plan ($129) and am actually saving money and getting more.
    I get Unlimtied data (the $25 dollar vision plan)
    I get sprint nav ($10)
    unlimeted text ($15)

granted those of you who scammed a Sero account might hurt if you have to change plans. But mostly everybody else might actually get a little more for less because they packaged everything together.
    Last edited by SedahDrol; 01/12/2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: had some wrong pricing info corrected now
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Is sounds more and more like the Pre will require a SE plan.
    What makes you say this. I've seen nothing other than uninformed speculation about this. If you have some hard info, please provide it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    This is too funny.
    I just got a call from Sprint, whether I'm happy with my service and if I have any questions.
    So I ask the rep about the Pre and whether it will need the SE plan and I would have to ditch SERO.
    She said, yes, it will most likely require the SE plan because it's a smartphone and uses data.
    I still think it's not a done deal, wouldn't have Sprint announced it at the CES that the Pre must be used with a SE plan?
    But after watching Hesse's eyes light up with $ and ARPU talk and seeing the video of a Sprint rep saying it would be used with a "range" of SE plans, I'm feeling that SERO users won't be able to keep their plans and get the Pre.
    I have a smartphone without an SE plan. And Palm will let me upgrade to another smartphone without changing plans. Believing ANYTHING Sprint CS rep says at this time is like believing in Santa Claus. Until and unless Sprint publishes it's plan and policies CS reps are just guessing. I think it's quite possible that new customers will be forced to sign up for an SE plan. I think it unlikely existing customers will be forced to change plans.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I couldn't live without my $99 unlimited everything plan. Not only do I not get hit with those crazy $400 or $500 bills during peak months during my busy season during the year, but I also don't have to call Sprint and deal with their lousy customer service. Problem solved! Although I will admit that their customer service seems to be trying much harder now.

One more thing... you wouldn't believe how nice it is to just talk as long as I want, go online as much as I want, text who I want, roam for free, etc. It lets you breathe freely. I used to turn off roaming before I got this, and now I can just jump on Verizon's network if I'm out in the middle of nowhere, and I get unlimited minutes on their network too.
    First off, no one has confirmed that you need a SE for a Palm Pre. Second of all, I've been a sprint customer ever since people started carrying around cell phones, and I'm perfectly happy with them. Yes, on occasion they screw up a bill, or you have to deal with stupid customer service people, but in the end they always come through with a good deal and will do anything to keep you as a customer. That's the kind of company I want to continue to do business with. In terms of phone service and Evdo I have rarely been to areas where I lack a connection. Like everyone else, I hope I don't have to change my account type, but I'm sure for those of us that have been loyal customers with sprint for many many years, we won't have a problem getting an awesome deal on the phone and service.
    I signed up tonight for the Simply Shared Data Plan, which I got confirmed via email was compatible with the Pre. I am paying pretty much the same amount as I was before, they removed my corporate discount so they could put recurring discounts for my 3rd and 4th line (which I don't ever use, but keep around for family members that come in once or twice a year for about 2 weeks).

This plan comes with 1500 minutes and all data perks (including GPS). Again, I am pleased with this deal and happy that Sprint offered it to me. I don't feel that I am "getting" over on anyone nor are they getting over on me. I feel that it is very fair in terms of my previous eight years of being with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I signed up tonight for the Simply Shared Data Plan, which I got confirmed via email was compatible with the Pre. I am paying pretty much the same amount as I was before, they removed my corporate discount so they could put recurring discounts for my 3rd and 4th line (which I don't ever use, but keep around for family members that come in once or twice a year for about 2 weeks).

This plan comes with 1500 minutes and all data perks (including GPS). Again, I am pleased with this deal and happy that Sprint offered it to me. I don't feel that I am "getting" over on anyone nor are they getting over on me. I feel that it is very fair in terms of my previous eight years of being with Sprint.
    Isn't it great for $20 bucks per addidional phone you get $60 worth of services

data and messaging services alone for 2 phones would cost you $100 then you'd have to add minutes to it. it really is a steal.

I would go to a sprint store and add the corporate discounts later.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Yeah I might try that. Who knows... is great is that I have it in writing via email that this plan is ok with the Pre even though it isn't the Simply Everything plan (it's a version of it). I am paying 129.99 plus taxes and the two extra lines (which should be 40 extra) are free. It was obviously a retention plan, and this time I was serious about leaving. I feel like I've had it with crappy billing issues for years now. I am hoping this will simplify everything.

What is cool is my 3rd line is eligible for the 150 upgrade in May (my primary line is not since I just got the 800w in July), I'll just get the Pre on the 3rd line and then do an ESN swap to my line.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Yah I wonder if Sprint allow us to use SERO on the Pre.

It they do, I dont mind signing on another 2 year when it expire this year. I love my SERO.

If they dont, then I will get a new Pre from ebay.