View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1415
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If you ever got any on your account like free Nights and Weekends. They were never intended to be free forever and since they were never in the original contract they can be taken away anytime without violating the original terms.
    For a fact removal of this kills Sprint ability to charge an ETF. If the CSR you spoke to said anything else you were talking to an ***** (not uncommon with Sopritn CSRs).

Please don't make blanket statements based on talking to CSR who will claim anytihng. head over to sprint users and see extensive discussions.

If you are given a 10% loyalty discount, and/or nights and weekends etc when you sign up or when you contract is extended they are part of your contract offer.
    When we reach an agreement on this can we then turn to solving peace in the Middle East? Actually maybe we should work on Middle East peace first, it is easier.

Look, Sprint will make whatever decision it thinks is in its best interest. Both sides have legitimate arguments, but Sprint gets to make the rules. You can like it, you can hate it, you can be agnostic toward it. If they say SERO users can't keep SERO and a Pre, well then decision time. If they say ok you can keep them, well great to be you. Nobody is owed anything they aren't doing anything to change terms of existing agreements, they get to set the rules to their liking on this, and you can complain with your money by taking it elsewhere if it is not to your liking.

Might a decision against SERO cost some customers more? Yeah. Do those existing lower priced plans necessarily reflect current per customer costs for Sprint? We don't know. Though I am inclined to believe the everything plans are probably closer to reality on their revenue/cost scale and the Pre provides them the means of enticing people to those plans. If that is the case and they are letting you keep old plans with existing hardware or other hardware, they are dangling a carrot and not using a stick.

I know I earn no points for saying this, but just as you get to weight the pluses and minuses of the Pre hardware we all need to weigh the pluses and minuses of the Sprint plans they come with. It is life, it happens all the time.
    I think we need more threads about SERO.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I agree. Sprint survives because of the value it provides and the low-cost of getting it. And it doesn't hurt Sprint to shave a little off a bill for loyalty or corporate affiliation (disclosure: I get a 25% corporate discount, and that is what initially brought me to them in 1998) in return for contract stability and renewals.

But Sprint can't survive that much longer without 1) hot internet-centric phones and 2) Data plans that bundle services and drive up ARPU.

And Everything plans are a significant discount over virtually every competitor in the market while offering more services, so I don't see how this is a significant departure from the great price/value combo of old SERO or F&F plans.
    I do agree with you generally. But we are getting into moving from the question of SERO to another group, the majority of Sprint customers who are on neither Sero nor an Everything plan.

As far as the Everthing plans being a significant discount over competitors, I take that as mostly true, but most righlty or wrongly peopel just dont feel that way as witnessed by Verizons growth in contract customers and Sprints loss of one million contract customers last quarter alone -- despite the supposedly "significant discount."

But one should also look at Sprints other competitor, its own $50 unlimited voice, data and text plans -- which is where it only growth has been.

Sprint is very possibly going to churn and lose its long term 7 or 8 year customers if it starts leaving them out of handsets or raises their costs. And as you rightly mention the value to Sprint of those customers in stability and renewal confidence is higher than the revenue alone shows .
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbad614 View Post
    I think having to pay to use a phone, besides buying it, is ridiculous.
    when you buy a car you still have to pay for gas to use it right?
    if you buy some giant gas guzzling hummer are you going to complain that you have to pay for more gas than you use to with a little honda?
    I was ready for that, and the Gas Guzzler tax is what told me, that plus having a 6.1L V8 isn't cheap either

Again, what I always say, You gotta pay to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    But one should also look at Sprints other competitor, its own $50 unlimited voice, data and text plans -- which is where it only growth has been.

Sprint is very possibly going to churn and lose its long term 7 or 8 year customers if it starts leaving them out of handsets or raises their costs. And as you rightly mention the value to Sprint of those customers in stability and renewal confidence is higher than the revenue alone shows .
    Actually, that's not quite true....the part about Boost being its only growth, I mean.

From their just announced Q1 results:

# Wireless post-paid ARPU in the quarter was stable sequentially and year-over-year at $56, primarily due to growth in fixed-rate bundled plans such as Simply Everything, offset by seasonal declines in usage.
    # Data revenues contributed greater than $15 to overall post-paid ARPU in the first quarter, led by growth in CDMA data ARPU. CDMA data ARPU increased about 5% from the fourth quarter, to greater than $18, an industry-best that now represents more than 31% of total CDMA ARPU.
    I think they correctly realize this is where salvation lies. And the Pre can help get a lot of people on those plans. Will some people draw the line in the sand and say "No way!"?

Yep. That's the price that's gotta be paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    when you buy a car you still have to pay for gas to use it right?
    if you buy some giant gas guzzling hummer are you going to complain that you have to pay for more gas than you use to with a little honda?
    I already pay for unlimited, k thanks...... I recall already responding to this.....
    If you fill up your tank and drive off and the next gas station tells you "sorry, you are out of gas, you have to buy more," wouldn't that be ridiculous?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    If you're not on a SERO account then why are you talking about them.

Please explain what plan you are on because with data added on it cant be much cheaper than the Everything Data 450.
    I'm not on SERO. I have 1000 anytime, Free evenings (7pm) and weekends, unlimited data and powervision, picture mail etc. Plus I'm on fair and flexible, so overages on minutes aren't too costly. I've got this for $50. Tell me, why would I want to spend $20 more for less than 1/2 the minutes, when everything else is basically the same? I'd have to spend $40 dollars more to be only 50 minutes shy of what I have now, and $50 more for unlimited minutes. That's a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I'm not on SERO. I have 1000 anytime, Free evenings (7pm) and weekends, unlimited data and powervision, picture mail etc. Plus I'm on fair and flexible, so overages on minutes aren't too costly. I've got this for $50. Tell me, why would I want to spend $20 more for less than 1/2 the minutes, when everything else is basically the same? I'd have to spend $40 dollars more to be only 50 minutes shy of what I have now, and $50 more for unlimited minutes. That's a big difference.
    Everything else isn't basically the same, tho. The individual lineup of Sprint's Everything plans are as follows:

Unlimited BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS)
    GPS Navigation
    Music Premier
    TV Premier
    NFL Mobile Live
    NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
    Unlimited Direct Connect

Powervision packs, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $don$'$t$ $include$ $any$ $of$ $that$.
    Im not arguing, just curious. What's the benefit of having BIS without a Blackberry?

Also direct connect.
    Last edited by bigbad614; 05/05/2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Let's see...

Um don't have/want a blackberry.

GPS Navigation
    I am able to get this now for a $10 add on. I've tried it, but I like my Tomtom better. Don't want to play, so shouldn't have to pay.

Music Premier Not even available on the Pre. Don't want to play, so shouldn't have to pay. Wouldn't use it if it was.

TV Premier: Tried it, it's horrible. Now available as an add on.

NFL Mobile Live: I have this available now, don't use it. Don't care. Is this even available on the Pre?

NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile Don't care. Don't want it. Is this even available on the Pre?

Unlimited Direct Connect Cool, I can use a walky talky function on my Pre? Oh wait, no I can't.

Half of these services that make the everything plan so great aren't even going to be available on the Pre. This is what you think I should pay more for?
    Well how many cable channels do you get that you don't want? You are paying even if you aren't playing. Is it fair? No. Does it have to be? No.
    I don't think you should pay more for anything you don't want, so keep your existing phone and you won't have to.
    Sprint wants customers on its more profitable plans, they aren't forcing anything on anyone, the Pre happens to be a good carrot to lure people to them. It's business it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Well how many cable channels do you get that you don't want? You are paying even if you aren't playing. Is it fair? No. Does it have to be? No.
    I don't think you should pay more for anything you don't want, so keep your existing phone and you won't have to.
    Sprint wants customers on its more profitable plans, they aren't forcing anything on anyone, the Pre happens to be a good carrot to lure people to them. It's business it happens.
    Well you can't reasonably go around saying, look at all your getting with the everything plan that you aren't with SERO/Grandfathered plans, when most of these things aren't even available on the Pre.

To use your analogy, it would be as if my cable service was charging me for HD Service despite the fact I only have a Standard definition set. Why should I accept this?

At least the extra channels are there if I want to watch them. Most of these things aren't even available on the Pre.
    Im not arguing, just curious. What's the benefit of having BIS without a Blackberry?

Also direct connect.
    BIS is for BlackBerry users that don't have a corporate BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It's not for non-BlackBerry users. It's available as part of the Everything Data plans because some of the subscribers are BB users.

Also direct connect.
    It's too keep you from having to jump plans again if you switch to another smartphone with some proprietary quirk like that.
    I can understand that, but you don't buy hurricane insurance if you live in Ohio. Ya know?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's too keep you from having to jump plans again if you switch to another smartphone with some proprietary quirk like that.
    Ha :-) Maybe I should go ahead and pay for car insurance on a Porsche rather then my banged up Chrysler, so I don't inconvenience myself by having to switch plans if I happen to get one.

I see why the BB Internet services is included with the plan, but you can't tell me that it logically follows that I should accept paying more for Everything Plans based on the fact it includes services that aren't even available on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Let's see...

Um don't have/want a blackberry.

GPS Navigation
    I am able to get this now for a $10 add on. I've tried it, but I like my Tomtom better. Don't want to play, so shouldn't have to pay.

Music Premier Not even available on the Pre. Don't want to play, so shouldn't have to pay. Wouldn't use it if it was.

TV Premier: Tried it, it's horrible. Now available as an add on.

NFL Mobile Live: I have this available now, don't use it. Don't care. Is this even available on the Pre?

NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile Don't care. Don't want it. Is this even available on the Pre?

Unlimited Direct Connect Cool, I can use a walky talky function on my Pre? Oh wait, no I can't.

Half of these services that make the everything plan so great aren't even going to be available on the Pre. This is what you think I should pay more for?
    "Half"? Only BIS and Direct Connect.

NFL, NASCAR, TV, Radio, and navigation will be in one form or another.

How many data partner services do you get bundled with competing smartphones? If you don't want them and don't want to pay for them, you should buy a another smartphone. If you go to another carrier, be prepared to pay even more.