View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1415
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Sprint has the legal and ethical right to limit what phones can be used on SERO.

I think some people are missing the point that Sprint has an announced and public corporate strategy of trying to move people off the lower revenue plans in order to survive. If you are forced to change at either the end period of your contract or an elected substantive change like a new phone purchase, you can't blame Sprint and they are doing you no harm.

Now on the other hand, that being said some of the tone against people with SERO is misplaces, because Sprint needed those people to survive. without them Sprint would have millions and millions less in customers and would be further along the road to failure.

I think if you have SERO you should relax and put things in perspective. The Pre will be sexy for two or three months and it is arguable not even now as innovative or as powerful as other handsets on the market and coming on the market in 09.

I agree. The only point I dont agree (my opinion) on is with Sprint forcing existing customers into paying more money for the same services they are already getting just to use the "new flashy phone". Of course they have the right to do that if they want to. It does not mean that the existing customers have to like it just because Sprint can choose to do so. However, it does not mean that the customer has to get "the new flashy phone". Believe me, I understand that Sprint needs to be more profitable. I just personally dont like the way that they are trying to do it. That is my opinion as well as others and should not be judged as right or wrong.

With that being said, if the Pre cannot be used on SERO accounts then that will hurt Palm more than Sprint (in my opinion). They will lose my phone purchase, accessories purchase, apps purchases, and possibly a longtime Palm fan (as well as many other SERO users). In my opinion, no phone is worth an extra ~$500/year plus the cost of the phone just to use it. I will either keep my 755p or I will look at another phone that can be used with SERO. As long as I can keep my SERO account, there is no way I will ever look at another provider (I am sure Sprint is aware of this). I dont see many SERO users getting mad enough to jump ship from a $30 plan because everything will be more elsewhere anyways. Now, the day they take my SERO plan from me, then that is the time to look at all possible provider options before comminting to a new plan.

Everyone does need to just calm down. Wait and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    I agree. The only point I dont agree (my opinion) on is with Sprint forcing existing customers into paying more money for the same services they are already getting just to use the "new flashy phone". Of course they have the right to do that if they want to. It does not mean that the existing customers have to like it just because Sprint can choose to do so. However, it does not mean that the customer has to get "the new flashy phone". Believe me, I understand that Sprint needs to be more profitable. I just personally dont like the way that they are trying to do it. That is my opinion as well as others and should not be judged as right or wrong.

With that being said, if the Pre cannot be used on SERO accounts then that will hurt Palm more than Sprint (in my opinion). They will lose my phone purchase, accessories purchase, apps purchases, and possibly a longtime Palm fan (as well as many other SERO users). In my opinion, no phone is worth an extra ~$500/year plus the cost of the phone just to use it. I will either keep my 755p or I will look at another phone that can be used with SERO. As long as I can keep my SERO account, there is no way I will ever look at another provider (I am sure Sprint is aware of this). I dont see many SERO users getting mad enough to jump ship from a $30 plan because everything will be more elsewhere anyways. Now, the day they take my SERO plan from me, then that is the time to look at all possible provider options before comminting to a new plan.

Everyone does need to just calm down. Wait and see what happens.
    My sentiments exactly. So long as I can keep my SERO plan and Sprint offers a decent smartphone with it I'm not going anywhere.

My problem (if you can call it that) with paying $60/mo for an Everything Plan is that the price increase seems unsubstantiated. Yes, I know the Pre will probably require more data usage, but SERO is supposed to include unlimited data. Now, this may be another one of those cases where unlimited really isn't unlimited. With AT&T and the iPhone I can understand the increase in monthly costs - Apple's deal with AT&T gives them a significant chunk of the monthly revenues. AT&T passes that cost onto the consumer, which is understandable. I highly doubt however that Palm was able to strong-arm Sprint into a similar deal. I suspect that the extra revenue from the Everything plans are all going into Sprint's coffers.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I've got 4 lines, only one of which has data. I'm hoping I can get the everything messaging family (1500 minutes for $99, two lines, plus $20 for two more) for $120, and then an add-on data pack (unlimited data for $15) for a total of $135.

I'm just not going to pay $170 a month for the everything data family when the other three have no use for nor real interest in a data plan.
    Wow I have five lines, four of which have unl data and unl text and pay $106 including data + $20 airave
    Seems like Sprint won't lose many SERO customers because even if they don't buy the Pre, they're not going anywhere. What incentive then does Sprint have to subsidize a Pre for you?

Palm won't care. They already sold their goods to Sprint. SERO customers are really insignificant to Palm considering overall sales to include foreign carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Seems like Sprint won't lose many SERO customers because even if they don't buy the Pre, they're not going anywhere. What incentive then does Sprint have to subsidize a Pre for you?

Palm won't care. They already sold their goods to Sprint. SERO customers are really insignificant to Palm considering overall sales to include foreign carriers.
    Yeah, the only problem now is the millions of regular priced customers they continue to lose.... lol

I am also not sure any lost sales is insignificant to Palm.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    isn't the $70 simply everything plan way cheaper than anything any other provider has to offer anyways?
    In my opinion, no phone is worth an extra ~$500/year plus the cost of the phone just to use it. I will either keep my 755p or I will look at another phone that can be used with SERO. As long as I can keep my SERO account, there is no way I will ever look at another provider (I am sure Sprint is aware of this). I dont see many SERO users getting mad enough to jump ship from a $30 plan because everything will be more elsewhere anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    My sentiments exactly. So long as I can keep my SERO plan and Sprint offers a decent smartphone with it I'm not going anywhere.

My problem (if you can call it that) with paying $60/mo for an Everything Plan is that the price increase seems unsubstantiated.
    Assuming you're both on the $30 plan, at what price would you feel Sprint was still offering you a great bargain and with which you would be happy to re-up your contract?

I'd be very happy to go to up to $45 a month for the same terms as my existing $30 SERO plan with the phone restrictions removed.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CriminalEnterprise View Post
    Assuming you're both on the $30 plan, at what price would you feel Sprint was still offering you a great bargain and with which you would be happy to re-up your contract?

I'd be very happy to go to up to $45 a month for the same terms as my existing $30 SERO plan with the phone restrictions removed.
    where are you getting $45 a month? I thought it was $70 for the cheapest eligible plan? I'm also on the $30 plan and sometimes I feel it's a sin
    Who says they have to subsidize it? I think most SERO customers who are upset are mostly disturbed by the restrictions on which devices Sprint will activate.

I would do $45/mth with no problem. It is just not worth $70/mth for the same services they already provide to me for $30 (plus 50 extra minutes).
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I would do $45/mth with no problem. It is just not worth $70/mth for the same services they already provide to me for $30 (plus 50 extra minutes).
    I feel the same way. if I'm going to pay the 70 bucks might as well go the iphone route for $20 bucks more
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    where are you getting $45 a month? I thought it was $70 for the cheapest eligible plan? I'm also on the $30 plan and sometimes I feel it's a sin
    I'm just throwing out where my own personal comfort level would be. Paying $70 for the same service I today get for $30 is not something I as a consumer would consider a wise expenditure.

Recognizing the competitiveness of the $30 deal, I would feel comfortable paying $45 for the same service and I would be extremely pleased if that $15 increase was the stick and the removal of phone restrictions was the carrot.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    all I know is if Verizon gets a new iphone, the game is over and Sprint can say goodnight
    Yeah, the only problem now is the millions of regular priced customers they continue to lose.... lol

I am also not sure any lost sales is insignificant to Palm.
    It's lack of phones that attributed to this. Having the Pre helps.

And Palm isn't selling directly to SERO users. They're selling to Sprint and other carriers. They will in turn resale these whether a few SERO customers whine or not. The number of SERO customers isn't great and the percentage who won't buy the Pre is insignificant to Palm's overall sales.

Seriously, I think Sprint should allow SERO to grandfather onto the Pre but they'd have to pay unsub prices. But there's Navigation which isn't on SERO.
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    I feel the same way. if I'm going to pay the 70 bucks might as well go the iphone route for $20 bucks more
    If you're going to pay 90 for an iphone, then you may as well get the Pre and Simply Everything for 99 a month

Why would you pay 90 a month for 450 minutes? When at Sprint you could pay 59 a month for 500 minutes?
    It's lack of phones that attributed to this. Having the Pre helps.

And Palm isn't selling directly to SERO users. They're selling to Sprint and other carriers. They will in turn resale these whether a few SERO customers whine or not. The number of SERO customers isn't great and the percentage who won't buy the Pre is insignificant to Palm's overall sales.

Seriously, I think Sprint should allow SERO to grandfather onto the Pre but they'd have to pay unsub prices. But there's Navigation which isn't on SERO.
    I still say Palm needs EVERY sale they can get. It is more than just a phone sale.

If they allowed SERO great, I would pay unsub price (like all these other whiney SERO users), and I would use my Garmin like I always have.

$45 a month would be reasonable. I would probably pay that. I would like the option to revert back to $30/mo SERO after my 2 year contract is up though, so long as I switch to a different phone that doesn't require an Everything plan.

Like I and many others have said, it would be great if Sprint allowed SERO users to purchase the phone unsubsidized. In the end, this hurts Palm more than Sprint, since SERO customers will stay with Sprint - they just won't get a Palm phone.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ok, I think I've got the perfect analogy here: happy hour.

let's say you go to a bar that has half off drinks from 4-6. you get there at 5 and between 5 and 6 you order quite a few $3 beers. now come 6 o'clock the bartender tells you that same beer will now be the regular price of $6. the beer is the same exact beer from the same exact keg but it's 2x the price now cause the special's over. at that point you have a choice to make: pay $6 for another beer or leave the bar and go to another one or just go home.

BUT in this case the bartender(sprint) is a nice guy/girl and says, "hey if you keep that glass you have now I'll keep refilling it at $3 a piece but if you want a new glass I'll have to charge you $6". so now your decision is either keep the old, dirty, crusty glass and pay $3 or get a new shiny glass and pay $6.

and for the non-happy hour people(non-sero people): you've been a long-time customer of you're local bar and your favorite beer has been $5 a glass for as long as you've been going there. but, one day the bartender informs you that the decision has been made to begin charging $6 a beer. but, again, if you keep your current glass he can refill it at the old price but if you want a new glass he's gonna have to charge you the new price of $6.

now, who has ever heard of either of the scenarios I posted actually happening at a bar? no, cause it's totally acceptable for any bar to expect it's customers to pay current prices. sprint is doing you a courtesy by allowing you to pay the old/happy hour prices and not making you pay current normal pricing.

oh and verizon has been mandating plan changes for phone changes for years. get used to it. it wouldn't surprize me one bit if EVERY smartphone from the pre forward required the customer to switch to an EP.
    You're either obtuse or disingenuous. I used hyberbole and overstated certainty as a literary device. If you want to try projecting a false, otiose pedantry, be my guest, but expect me to see through it.
    My my, getting a little personal there aren't you?

Actually, I was being neither. I realized that you were making an idiotic statement, and wanted to point it out.

I realize you don't like it, but that's life...

And hey, I noticed you never objected to my statement (completely devoid of hyperbole) that you have no idea what Sprint's costs are. When you say they've lost money from SERO customers, you're getting your facts from the general vicinity of your posterior.
    You're right, I never objected (truth be told, I never even noticed, but hey, don't want to bruise that tender ego... but my reaction would have been the same had I noticed). I didn't object because you're 100% right (on that point), I don't know what their costs are. Where you're wrong is your assertion that I said they've lost money on their SERO plans. I didn't say that.

However, when a company loses money in general, it's usually a pretty safe bet that their lowest priced offerings are not turning a profit. Not guaranteeing it, just making a guess here...

And that's the last word.
    Sigh.... appareantly YALD - Yet Another Literary Device. Were it only true...

If they offered a meaningful enticement to SERO subscribers to get them to re-up contracts at a higher cost per month and still let them feel as though they're getting a great bargain, phones like the Pre and Instinct would sell very well indeed.
    And if they do, great. If they don't those that have SERO plans will simply have to evaluate whether or not the plans they offer are a good deal. Personally, from what I've seen, they're still the best bet going. And, contrary to your hyberbolic and overstated certainties (see, we do agree on something) some folks on SERO (or other plans, like myself), have made the decision that the new phone is worth changing plans over.
    Last edited by hparsons; 04/28/2009 at 12:43 PM.
    What if that special SERO priced unsub Pre cost 800 or so? :P

Look i have two SERO lines at 30 each. So i'm in the same boat. Deals so good i'm letting a sister borrow one for a bit and my wife has the other. Problem is, there's nothing at Sprint i wanted for the past few years. I'm sure i'm not the only one that's felt that way.

Enter the Pre. It's a game changer. I'm ready to go back all in with Sprint again and dump the iphone. Too bad my efforts at keeping my old SERO plans alive won't pay off. But after getting raped by AT&T for the iphone, i'll be happy to save even going to an EPRP plan.