View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

14 10.77%
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
    When the Instinct first came out, you couldn't add it to a SERO plan. Several weeks later it became available. Maybe it will depend on whether or not you're willing to wait or must have it immediately.
    Okay...for those of you who have other plans, if you were able to keep your plan but had to pay the unsubsidized price for the phone--say $399 or $499, since we really don't know what it costs--would that work for you?

Not trying to pick a fight, just truly curious. I'm not with Sprint so if I get the Pre, I'll come in under a new plan anyway. It seems to me you pay one way or the other, you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    Okay...for those of you who have other plans, if you were able to keep your plan but had to pay the unsubsidized price for the phone--say $399 or $499, since we really don't know what it costs--would that work for you?

Not trying to pick a fight, just truly curious. I'm not with Sprint so if I get the Pre, I'll come in under a new plan anyway. It seems to me you pay one way or the other, you know?
    That would be a dream. But that's only one obstacle to overcome. Buying it will be very easy. The tough part will be activating the phone and keeping it activated without Sprint changing your plan. If they indeed allow you to use it on any plan for the full retail price, there wouldn't be an issue at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    That would be a dream. But that's only one obstacle to overcome. Buying it will be very easy. The tough part will be activating the phone and keeping it activated without Sprint changing your plan. If they indeed allow you to use it on any plan for the full retail price, there wouldn't be an issue at all.
    Agreed. Dont mind paying more for the phone, but they will have to pry my SERO account with added perks from my cold dead hands.
    Not sure about that, but I could go for a multi-tiered approach.

$499 base price
    $399 if you don't get a new contract, but get an SE plan ($100 rebate)
    $299 if you do get a new contract, but don't get an SE plan ($200 rebate)
    $199 if you get both a new contract with SE ($200 new contract rebate, $100 SE rebate)
    This is too funny.
    I just got a call from Sprint, whether I'm happy with my service and if I have any questions.
    So I ask the rep about the Pre and whether it will need the SE plan and I would have to ditch SERO.
    She said, yes, it will most likely require the SE plan because it's a smartphone and uses data.
    I still think it's not a done deal, wouldn't have Sprint announced it at the CES that the Pre must be used with a SE plan?
    But after watching Hesse's eyes light up with $ and ARPU talk and seeing the video of a Sprint rep saying it would be used with a "range" of SE plans, I'm feeling that SERO users won't be able to keep their plans and get the Pre.
    Is sounds more and more like the Pre will require a SE plan (I call it simple double). How many existing customers do you think are on Sprint at the $50 $60 per month range with unlimited data?

Switching to a Simply double plan at $100/month would literally cost most people $1,000 to $1,200 plus the cost of the phone to switch. That is a high bar to overcome. One I think many will choose not to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Is sounds more and more like the Pre will require a SE plan (I call it simple double). How many existing customers do you think are on Sprint at the $50 $60 per month range with unlimited data?

Switching to a Simply double plan at $100/month would literally cost most people $1,000 to $1,200 plus the cost of the phone to switch. That is a high bar to overcome. One I think many will choose not to make.
    There are simply everything plans that start at $70 for 450 minutes and $90 for 900 minutes. Everything else is unlimited. Please stop being dishonest. It's right on Sprint's site.
    For what it's worth I don't think the $100 Simply Everything plan with unlimited minutes is required. Under the Simply Everything group of plans there's Everything Data which includes 450 anytime minutes with unlimited data and SMS. This will probably be sufficient for the Pre if the Simply Everything plans are required. I still don't like it considering my SERO plan effectively gives me the Everything Data plus 50 extra minutes for $30. I won't switch for the Pre and I don't blame anyone else that's upset about it, but the Simply Everything plans are very competitive with AT&T and Verizon.
    Well...we were told Palm employees read these forums, so maybe discussing an "alternative" might not be such a bad thing and a few hints can be dropped in a few ears. After all, what is Sprint losing by allowing customers to purchase a Pre for an unsubsidized price? They are at least getting your SERO/family plan money. And Palm sells a handset. Everybody's happy. Especially if it keeps some people from leaving Sprint altogether--and they will still be getting new customers like me.
    While many people want this phone, it isn't nearly the amount of people who wanted the iPhone. Couple that with the fact that people are still weary of Sprint and their previous experiences (whether first hand or by someone's opinion), most consumers won't jump ship until the the second iteration of the Pre (after initial reviews), they need to lure people in with this device first. Then apply the SE plans as mandatory.

Except, I don't think they are going to do that, therefore the SE pricing would just be Sprint shooting themselves in the foot.

Personally, I like Sprint, until they screw up my bill on a regular basis.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    What about texting? Is it included in the SE plan? It is an extra fee with SERO.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    There are simply everything plans that start at $70 for 450 minutes and $90 for 900 minutes. Everything else is unlimited. Please stop being dishonest. It's right on Sprint's site.
    Yeah, pay more than double than what I am right now ($30) for 50 less minutes a month.
    I want the Pre but not enough to pay almost $1,000 over 2 years.
    Sprint really doesn't want this thing to work do they?
    Make it easy, if you are already on Sprint, you can keep your existing plan and get the Pre for $250 after rebates.
    If you're porting from another wireless carrier, you have to get the SE plan and pay $150 for the Pre.
    Give your existing customers an incentive for sticking with you while millions of others bailed for the ATT iPhone or a VZW phone.
    I just happened to be on Sprint's site browsing the SE plans to see what my options might be (I'm already on Sprint) when Jessica initiates a chat session with me asking if she could help. So I ask if I would have to change my current plan when I switch to the Palm Pre when it becomes available, and she says no. I currently have Sprint Power Pack Family 550, Line 1 has unlimited data and 1000 txt. Line 2 is free and only shares the 550 minutes. I pay roughly $77 a month.
    You bet your a$$ I'm saving that chat session!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I have unlimited texting with my SERO plan
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I have unlimited texting with my SERO plan
    Me too.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Not sure about that, but I could go for a multi-tiered approach.

$499 base price
    $399 if you don't get a new contract, but get an SE plan ($100 rebate)
    $299 if you do get a new contract, but don't get an SE plan ($200 rebate)
    $199 if you get both a new contract with SE ($200 new contract rebate, $100 SE rebate)
    499 base? If thats true thats a bargain. I looked at some phones yesterday and they were in the 600-700 range.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    What about texting? Is it included in the SE plan? It is an extra fee with SERO.
    Is texting included in "everything"? Yes.
    I have unlimited SMS with SERO also.
    I have to wonder where people get these things sometimes.