View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1415
  1. #921  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    Does anyone know how many Sprint customers are on SERO plans? Of their 49 million subscribers, it's unlikely it's a high number in my opinion. But I could be wrong.
    My guess would be less than half a mil and if I had to pick a figure, 300,000 users between the $30 and $50 (ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 on those plans). I've heard some speculate as much as 2 million, but I find that hard to believe as it was a word-of-mouth plan that most found out about online.

    I too would be interested to hear just how many customers are on this plan.
  2. #922  
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Darrion, my point was your analogy was wrong, you equated buying a cell phone plan to a good when in fact it is a service. You aren't buying the oil, you are buying the oil change.
    Again, the analogy was not mine. Captain Hair had posted the oil analogy in the prior post. My response stated it was trying to work within the confines of the established comparison.

    Let me try another method in explaining to you the perspective of those who oppose the plan changes:

    If you already have an unlimited (EVDO) data plan you should be able to use any phone (EVDO) you choose on such a plan.

    It's either you agree or you disagree with this. It's as simple as that.
  3. #923  
    Promotional rates don't last forever old prices don't last forever. Prices change over time. Milk doesn't cost the same it did even a few years ago. Phone service either. It only seems so major because you had old contracts that they aren't canceling or changing. It would be like if you had a contract for home heating oil that locked in prices from 5 years back. When you go to re-up the contract you will be shocked with how much you would have to pay. But it's not like the price jumped overnight, it is just that over those 5 years the prices changed and the contract made you immune to the changes. The beauty here is, Sprint isn't ending the contracts you have.

    Because Sprint is trying to keep old customers they are not canceling the old contracts on their end. If you are paying below market or are on a promotional plan, then this should make you happy, because it means your existing rates aren't being changed on you. But a new landmark phone allows Sprint to make you decide to leave the old contract if you want the landmark phone. In the end, this behavior pisses fewer people off. Feel betrayed and pissed off about a new price for what is seemingly the same service, but they aren't forcing anything on anyone.

    Which would **** people off more, Sprint forcing this change on all existing customers with data plans or Sprint letting people choose to make the switch if you want one of their landmark phones? We both know the answer to this, neither option is popular but people prefer to have the choice. Sprint can't sustain current rates, but they can't force people to pay more on existing contracts either. It's a catch-22. The Pre let's them get more customers on their higher rate plans. Remember, phones are simply means of market plans to customers, nothing more for Sprint (or any of the other carriers). That is why they are subsidized up the yin-yang.

    The smugness of people who are paying below current market value or who are on promotional rates demanding nothing change is simply unbelievable. Prices change. Even though the cellphone service market is essentially a differentiated oligopoly, the laws of economics still apply. And as a relatively small player in this smaller market, Sprint essentially has to accept market prices. But if the market prices for what it is selling are higher than what it is charging its customers, it is screwed in the long term. They can still undercut the market, the degree to which they do so will have a significant impact on the bottom line.

    Sprint essentially needs to come back to terms with the financial mistakes of its past. Included in that are rates that are simply below sustainable for the company. They force the change, people can freely jump ship and likely would even if the rate jumps were smaller than comparable plans elsewhere. They make the change dependent on you buying a new phone, they make people unhappy but the decision is the customers.

    I don't think I can explain it much better, people may not like it but it is what Sprint needs to do and they are giving you the choice. You say it is screwing existing customers, I say it is a market reality and you should be glad they didn't just decide to change your contracts and raise your rates unilaterally as the contract permits them to do. Will you be paying more for what to you seems like the same service? Yes. But as I said, prices change in response to any number of market factors. There is no requirement that rates can't rise, because they have to. You can try and make some big principled moral crusade here, but bottom line matters and it seems disingenuous at best -- I am upset I will have to pay as much as everyone else when I had been special or simply I am upset I will have to change my plan to reflect the current market realities. As I keep saying, you can keep Sprint with the existing plan and no rate change, you can buy the phone and take on the new rate plan, you can leave sprint for another company and a new phone, or you can simply get rid of your cell phone service entirely. Sprint will be putting the ball in your court, it seems petty to be getting upset at them for doing so in light of the alternatives at their disposal.

    You either accept the reality or you don't. It's as simple as that.
  4. #924  
    So with the announcement today (the insider info leakage) it is 99.99% sure that SERO users won't be able to get in on the Pre. That said, what is the best smartphone that is SERO-eligible? Treo pro?
  5. #925  
    Well, it looks like Spring is going to push people to the Simply Everything plan. I'm a SERO user and really bummed about this, because I won't be getting the Pre if I can't have it with SERO. I was willing to pay several hundred dollars more up front, but I don't like the idea of being gouged for double what I'm paying now just so I can have the latest phone. I'll probably just pick up another smartphone and resign on SERO for another 2 years.
  6. #926  
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    So with the announcement today (the insider info leakage) it is 99.99% sure that SERO users won't be able to get in on the Pre. That said, what is the best smartphone that is SERO-eligible? Treo pro?
    Probably the Treo Pro or the Touch Pro...that's what I'm looking at since we can't get the Pre.
  7. #927  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    ...
    If you already have an unlimited (EVDO) data plan you should be able to use any phone (EVDO) you choose on such a plan.
    ...
    Why?
    Did they make that agreement with you when you signed up? If not, then they are free to do as they please with new devices. If so, then I agree completely, and say you should point out to them your agreement.

    I wold say that if a company that gives you a cut rate on a data plan, then releases a device that uses much more data than the previous devices, has every right to say "the new devices can't be used on the old plan".

    As a matter of fact, if they look at the bottom line and decide "selling services at that price was a bad business model, we've decided that any new devices requires a new activation and a new plan", they would also be within their rights.

    You guys keep confusing what you'd like to have happen. I'd like to keep using my old Free and Clear Family plan, but I'm fully prepared to switch to the higher plan, mine was discontinued and Sprint is under no obligation to keep giving it to me.
  8. #928  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    ...
    I was willing to pay several hundred dollars more up front, but I don't like the idea of being gouged for double what I'm paying now just so I can have the latest phone
    ...
    Why do you feel that a plan that is still below everyone else's in the market is "gouging"?
  9. #929  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why do you feel that a plan that is still below everyone else's in the market is "gouging"?
    Maybe because I already get nearly the same thing (unlimited data, unlimited text) for half the price?

    I'm not trying to **** anyone off here. I'm just saying for me, paying double the SERO price for the privilege of owning a Pre is not worth it. Especially not when I average 100 minutes and < 100 mb of data a month.

    I had the same mentality when the iPhone came out - it's a fantastic phone and I would have loved to have one...but it's just not worth the price increase. Maybe everyone on here is just better off than I am financially, but I know it would be irresponsible of me to pay double what I am right now just so I can have a fancy phone.
  10. #930  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    Maybe because I already get nearly the same thing (unlimited data, unlimited text) for half the price?

    I'm not trying to **** anyone off here. I'm just saying for me, paying double the SERO price for the privilege of owning a Pre is not worth it. Especially not when I average 100 minutes and < 100 mb of data a month.

    I had the same mentality when the iPhone came out - it's a fantastic phone and I would have loved to have one...but it's just not worth the price increase. Maybe everyone on here is just better off than I am financially, but I know it would be irresponsible of me to pay double what I am right now just so I can have a fancy phone.
    I hope you understand there is a big difference between making such a decision, and stating that you're being "gouged". You are not, even if you decided to go with the new plans.
  11. #931  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I hope you understand there is a big difference between making such a decision, and stating that you're being "gouged". You are not, even if you decided to go with the new plans.
    I don't know, like I said - I get basically the same thing for half the price. They're just raising the price because of high demand for the Pre. The service you receive is essentially the same - I can setup my WM phone to do nearly everything the Pre does, and it will use just as much data but because it's not the Pre I can stay on my SERO plan. Perhaps this doesn't fit the textbook definition of price gouging, but I'm just trying to make a point here. Would it make you feel better if I called it a rip off? Certainly I am entitled to that opinion, am I not? I wish Sprint would make an unsubsidized version of the phone available for SERO users, but it doesn't look like that's happening. I'm willing to pay more for the Pre, but not to the tune of 100% more.

    Regardless of what plan the Pre requires, I do hope it's a success because I am very happy with Sprint and want them to do well. Competition is always a good thing anyway. I would hate for Apple to do to the smartphone market what they did to the MP3 player market (this coming from a long time Apple user).
  12. #932  
    Okay, I'm now officially, thoroughly confused regarding how Sprint handles Simply Everything plans and multiple lines.

    Here's a scenario: my wife has her Treo 650 on her primary line, and then her parents (2 dumbphones) and our daughter (a Centro) on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. She pays little to nothing for those extra lines, and they're voice only (no data, no texting).

    If she were to switch to the Pre, what other changes would happen to her account, including costs, for the other three lines?

    Can anyone shed any light? Thanks!
  13. #933  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, I'm now officially, thoroughly confused regarding how Sprint handles Simply Everything plans and multiple lines.

    Here's a scenario: my wife has her Treo 650 on her primary line, and then her parents (2 dumbphones) and our daughter (a Centro) on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. She pays little to nothing for those extra lines, and they're voice only (no data, no texting).

    If she were to switch to the Pre, what other changes would happen to her account, including costs, for the other three lines?

    Can anyone shed any light? Thanks!
    I don't Know if this will answer your question but here's my situation,

    Everything Data Family Plan 3000 minutes unlimited Data + text 169.99
    3 extra lines 19.99 each - 59.97
    total - 229.96
    that's - 45.99 each

    not bad, but probably more than you are paying. For you with 4 lines it would be 209.97 thats 52.49 each though on the plus side you'd get 3000 minutes and unlimited text and data
  14. #934  
    How many mintues u need?
    1500min-----$129.99two lines+ 20+20=$169.99+ taxes

    3000min =$209.99+taxes
  15. #935  
    Thanks to both. I guess the bottom line is that there's no way to keep the 3 extra lines phone-only and then have the primary line Simply Everything. That's a bummer, because we specifically do NOT want our daughter texting; she has too many distractions as it is. If she suddenly has unlimited texting, then our economic argument goes out the window. And, her parents just have no use whatsoever for data.

    My wife won't be happy with this news.
  16. gbm85's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #936  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    When the Pre was announced and talk of the possible EP requirement emerged I started researching whether it was possible to activate an Instinct on a non-EP. Every post I've read on the subject seems to end with it ultimately not being possible, even if one could initially get around it. Are there some on here who have this on a non-EP? My understanding was your plan was checked upon activation and you wouldn't be able to switch back to a previous plan after you'd changed, even with contacts at stores. I'm interested to hear if this has changed. It's not that I'd be interested, but I would like to know as my impression was that it was not possible on the billing system end.
    It is possible. A quick Google search will show you plenty of people who did it. Official policy may be "no", but there are ways around it. As for billing system... activation has nothing to do with the billing system. Activation does nothing more than tell their towers that this serial number is associated with this phone number. That's it.

    If I can't get Sprint to activate my Pre on SERO, I'll just clone the serial number from my Touch Pro. Insurance will be out the window, but I'll save enough over the next two years to buy probably two used Pre's if I have to ($39.99 savings over Everything Data + $7 savings through dropping insurance = $1128).
  17. #937  
    I've got 4 lines, only one of which has data. I'm hoping I can get the everything messaging family (1500 minutes for $99, two lines, plus $20 for two more) for $120, and then an add-on data pack (unlimited data for $15) for a total of $135.

    I'm just not going to pay $170 a month for the everything data family when the other three have no use for nor real interest in a data plan.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  18. #938  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I've got 4 lines, only one of which has data. I'm hoping I can get the everything messaging family (1500 minutes for $99, two lines, plus $20 for two more) for $120, and then an add-on data pack (unlimited data for $15) for a total of $135.

    I'm just not going to pay $170 a month for the everything data family when the other three have no use for nor real interest in a data plan.
    Thanks! I think i get it now, and that wouldn't be terrible at all. I think it's around $20 more than she's paying now.
  19. #939  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Thanks to both. I guess the bottom line is that there's no way to keep the 3 extra lines phone-only and then have the primary line Simply Everything. That's a bummer, because we specifically do NOT want our daughter texting; she has too many distractions as it is. If she suddenly has unlimited texting, then our economic argument goes out the window. And, her parents just have no use whatsoever for data.

    My wife won't be happy with this news.
    Why not just split off one of the lines to an Everything Data plan, and then keep the current plan for phone-only, if you have to? Though, I wouldn't change your plan just yet, maybe if you're lucky Sprint will let you just add data to the line you want on the release of the Pre.
  20. #940  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Why not just split off one of the lines to an Everything Data plan, and then keep the current plan for phone-only, if you have to? Though, I wouldn't change your plan just yet, maybe if you're lucky Sprint will let you just add data to the line you want on the release of the Pre.
    Well, if there's anything I can say about my wife, it's that she incredibly resourceful in these situations. She's gotten things from Sprint over the years that I swore up and down were impossible. So, I'm trying to give her worst-case scenario.

    Knowing her, she'll end up getting the Pre for $100, and another free line on top of it. Too bad I used up all of my credits; she refuses to use her mojo for my gadgets any longer.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions