View Poll Results: How will the availability of SERO affect your decision to purchase a Pre?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have SERO & will purchase the Pre even if I can't keep my SERO plan

    9 6.92%
  • I have SERO & will not purchase the Pre if I can't keep my SERO plan

    48 36.92%
  • I don't have SERO but if it's not available with the Pre, I may not purchase it

    2 1.54%
  • I don't have SERO and am not concerned about its availability with the Pre

    44 33.85%
  • I just don't care

    13 10.00%
  • What's SERO?

    14 10.77%
Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 1415
  1. #901  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did you think you would pay 30 bucks a month for cell service forever? Welcome back to reality.
    Yes I do. Besides, there are so many people living in reality paying $80 to $100 per line that I don't think there is room for me to double or triple my cost. Ahhh, I must be living a dream.
  2. #902  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    They say in every contract ever written that they reserve the right to change the contract at any time, and that you have the right to reject those changes and terminate your contract at no penalty. It's not bait-and-switch, it's business. You want to drive a Corvette, you've got to use the expensive oil. And if you want a Pre, well, then maybe you'll have to switch to a more expensive plan. But then again, you also don't have to get a Pre.
    Other analogies have tried to explain the same, but they all breakdown as you're already paying for the premium oil, premium fuel, performance tires, etc.

    Those of us that oppose this change see this as being the equivalent to this (using the confines of your example):

    You walk into a Pep Boys store looking for some motor oil for Vette. You find the proper weight, bring it up to the counter and pull out your wallet to pay. The cashier takes the scanner to the bottle, looks at you and asks, 'what kind of car do you drive?' You assume he's asking to provide some service and answer, 09 Corvette. Although the pricing has already flashed on the screen for the bottle, the same price you've alway paid, the cashier says, 'uh... wait a second. I've got to add a special fee for your oil since you drive a Vette.' He punches in some keys and adds an add'l X amount of dollars. Same weight of oil, same quantity, it's just he knows what you drive and thinks you should pay more for your oil to do so. No difference in service.

    This Sprint luxury phone tax is the reason we take issue with this request. Same service, different price.
  3. #903  
    The oil change analogy is a bit off though. If you are paying to get an oil change rather than just buying the oil, and you have two cars, say a smart car and a V8 Corvette, the Corvette will have a more expensive oil change because it takes more oil. Same service, different price.
  4. #904  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    They say in every contract ever written that they reserve the right to change the contract at any time, and that you have the right to reject those changes and terminate your contract at no penalty. It's not bait-and-switch, it's business. You want to drive a Corvette, you've got to use the expensive oil. And if you want a Pre, well, then maybe you'll have to switch to a more expensive plan. But then again, you also don't have to get a Pre.
    Couldn't agree with this more.
  5. #905  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrion88 View Post
    Other analogies have tried to explain the same, but they all breakdown as you're already paying for the premium oil, premium fuel, performance tires, etc.

    Those of us that oppose this change see this as being the equivalent to this (using the confines of your example):

    You walk into a Pep Boys store looking for some motor oil for Vette. You find the proper weight, bring it up to the counter and pull out your wallet to pay. The cashier takes the scanner to the bottle, looks at you and asks, 'what kind of car do you drive?' You assume he's asking to provide some service and answer, 09 Corvette. Although the pricing has already flashed on the screen for the bottle, the same price you've alway paid, the cashier says, 'uh... wait a second. I've got to add a special fee for your oil since you drive a Vette.' He punches in some keys and adds an add'l X amount of dollars. Same weight of oil, same quantity, it's just he knows what you drive and thinks you should pay more for your oil to do so. No difference in service.

    This Sprint luxury phone tax is the reason we take issue with this request. Same service, different price.
    First, if Pep Boys wanted to work that way, it would be within their rights to do so, at least in a free country. Wouldn't be smart of them, of course.

    But, it's also a bad analogy, for this reason: selling you the oil doesn't actually increase Pep Boy's costs simply because your car is a Corvette. However, selling you a Pre, where the data usage is obviously potentially much higher than other devices without the same always-connected, always-updating capabilities, increases the cost to Sprint. There might also be higher subsidies that Sprint needs to recoup--so, either they charge more for the plans, or they provide a smaller subsidy.
  6. #906  
    Sero has unlimited data that is no different from someone with add-on unlimited data that should be no different from someone who has "Everything" unlimited data.
  7. #907  
    I think people are saying Sprint may not be recovering enough of their costs. If they're providing unlimited data to someone at too low a cost, that is.

    Honestly I do agree with those who say Sprint allowed this to get out of hand. However I also think they may have a right to limit the amount of phones SERO can be used on. Did they ever really guarantee it could be used on ANY AND ALL phones? If not, you MAY have a problem if they decide to require SE on the Pre.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #908  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did you think you would pay 30 bucks a month for cell service forever? Welcome back to reality.
    So I would like to ask you. Seriously, for what reason did you start this thread other than to cause controversy? You don't think life is stressful enough at this time that you thought that it would be fun to try and tick a few more people off. It's threads like this that is making this board absolutely no fun to come to anymore.

    Now, go ahead and rip into me, I must've asked for it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  9. #909  
    Honestly IMO, if Sprint just said something, EVERYONE could shut up about what the required plans will be. We are basically all speculating, and much of it's due to lack of real information.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #910  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    So I would like to ask you. Seriously, for what reason did you start this thread other than to cause controversy? You don't think life is stressful enough at this time that you thought that it would be fun to try and tick a few more people off. It's threads like this that is making this board absolutely no fun to come to anymore.

    Now, go ahead and rip into me, I must've asked for it.
    I totally agree. It's post's like the one that started this thread that lessen my hope for humanity. This place is supposed to be a place where people can share information and help each other out, not a place for people to make themselves feel better by angering others.

    And for the record, I'm not even a Sprint customer yet so I'm not 'personally' involved.
  11. #911  
    Why does everyone fret so much about this? If your not on SERO why do you even care? If you are like me, just wait and see what the plans will allow and make a decision then. Like others have said, I really want a Pre but not at the expense of my SERO plan. I understand that sprint will at some point end my plan. That's to be expected, but until then I can't justify paying twice as much per month for the additional features of the Pre. Luckily for Sprint and Palm, there are people who will pay most anything for the best phone.

    All relax, and look forward to the fact we're a little over 60 days out from the end of 2nd quarter and the release of the Pre.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  12. #912  
    To the original poster:
    Get over it!
  13. #913  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I totally agree. It's post's like the one that started this thread that lessen my hope for humanity. This place is supposed to be a place where people can share information and help each other out, not a place for people to make themselves feel better by angering others.

    And for the record, I'm not even a Sprint customer yet so I'm not 'personally' involved.
    I plan on doing my part by having KumBaYa as my ring tone.
  14. #914  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Why does everyone fret so much about this? If your not on SERO why do you even care?
    I'm not personally fretting about it, but not being a SERO guy, maybe I can help figure it out. I think there are two reasons:
    1. People who are on SERO are thinking about not getting the Pre if they can't have the Pre with SERO--we don't want anyone to say they are not getting the Pre for any reason. That really kills our joy.
    2. Those of us who are not on SERO suspect that we're paying the proper amount, while the SERO folks are getting a much better deal (perhaps a bit dishonestly). It's like if you buy a car and your buddy buys the same car for a few thousand less. Kinda ticks you off a bit, and you hope that the day will come when everyone will pay the same price for the same service.

    It's not an issue for me, I'm happy with my plan--no SERO-envy here. But as others have said, I think Sprint was dumb to let this get so out of hand.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  15. #915  
    Does anyone know how many Sprint customers are on SERO plans? Of their 49 million subscribers, it's unlikely it's a high number in my opinion. But I could be wrong.
  16. #916  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I plan on doing my part by having KumBaYa as my ring tone.
    It only takes a spark!
  17. #917  
    As a SERO user, I'd like to throw in my 2 cents.

    I, personally, don't mind upgrading if I have to. Sooner or later the plans will be phased out completely, there are no other phones that I want, and what I will be paying after the upgrade still pales in comparison to other providers. When I change over and if I'm forced to upgrade the bonuses of unlimited GPS, and the Sprint TV junk may help with dealing with the changes. And I'll just drink a few less when I'm out at the bar. So, yeah the economy is tough, but it's a lot tougher for everyone else paying a lot more than we are. I don't mind tightening my belt a little. I should, wasting too much on junk food. :P

    While I am a SERO user, I'm not gonna whine about it, I will deal with it. Sprint offers excellent service to me in my area, I get EVDO in most places, even in basements or thick-walled areas. Going to another provider is just not an option comparing pricing and features I get with Sprint. I fully support the Pre and I'm willing to make the "sacrifices" needed because I think it is a great phone with amazing features and I'm sure will fit me well as my next Palm device.
  18. #918  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    That is such BS. Anyone who couldn't get an Instinct activated on SERO either wasn't trying hard enough or didn't know the right people to talk to.
    When the Pre was announced and talk of the possible EP requirement emerged I started researching whether it was possible to activate an Instinct on a non-EP. Every post I've read on the subject seems to end with it ultimately not being possible, even if one could initially get around it. Are there some on here who have this on a non-EP? My understanding was your plan was checked upon activation and you wouldn't be able to switch back to a previous plan after you'd changed, even with contacts at stores. I'm interested to hear if this has changed. It's not that I'd be interested, but I would like to know as my impression was that it was not possible on the billing system end.

    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    The oil change analogy is a bit off though. If you are paying to get an oil change rather than just buying the oil, and you have two cars, say a smart car and a V8 Corvette, the Corvette will have a more expensive oil change because it takes more oil. Same service, different price.
    Again Pre Ref, you're reading it wrong. You're walking into Pep Boys and buying the oil yourself and doing the oil change yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    First, if Pep Boys wanted to work that way, it would be within their rights to do so, at least in a free country. Wouldn't be smart of them, of course.

    But, it's also a bad analogy, for this reason: selling you the oil doesn't actually increase Pep Boy's costs simply because your car is a Corvette. However, selling you a Pre, where the data usage is obviously potentially much higher than other devices without the same always-connected, always-updating capabilities, increases the cost to Sprint. There might also be higher subsidies that Sprint needs to recoup--so, either they charge more for the plans, or they provide a smaller subsidy.
    The analogized portion related to same product but different pricing. We've yet to see the quantity of consumption that will be occurring with the Pre's background app use. At this time we're seeing a lot of theorizing as to this functionality and how this would justify a plan change, however, unlimited data remains unlimited data. Additionally, pulling contact info off gmail and facebook as well as defaulting to web browsing options (wiki, google) don't appear to be devourers of data that some believe this phone to be. I'd love to hear more of these functions as those are the only two that come to mind.

    Another alternative is available to Sprint and one that I think most SERO and pre EP users would find more acceptable which is making the rebates apply on to those who change plans. By doing so you could have a theoretical $100-200 (just hypothetical figures) in added revenue to Sprint on each Pre sold to non EP members. Most of these people want to just keep their plans and are willing to pay more for their handsets to do so.

    It's threads like this one that actively provoke SERO users that makes them so vocal. Perhaps I should start a thread proposing a $10 per month add'l fee for everyone buying a Pre as they'll be eating more data than earlier EP holders.
    Last edited by Darrion88; 04/27/2009 at 02:16 AM.
  19. #919  
    I knew this was eventually going to get merged with the big thread, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #920  
    Darrion, my point was your analogy was wrong, you equated buying a cell phone plan to a good when in fact it is a service. You aren't buying the oil, you are buying the oil change.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions